Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Here in Illinois, churches have been ignoring the rules since the beginning. With no local law enforcement regarding the restrictions and no politician wanting to stand up to them, it has became just a game of “come on”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELxLj6damX8

I have absolutely no problem with letting people worship in as large a group as they can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

In the section on public interest, the majority opinion states: "The State has not claimed that attendance at the applicants' services has resulted in the spread of the disease. And the State has not shown that public health would be imperiled if less restrictive measures were imposed."

It sounds like the door is open for a more targeted set of measures. Kavanaugh points repeatedly to other states where the limits were 50 people, 100 people, or 25% of capacity, as opposed to New York's 10- and 25-people cap.

Also, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh suggest it might be okay if the same measures were equally applied to other institutions.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to the logic of the ruling. The idea that restaurants and gyms deserve looser restrictions than churches is not borne out in public health research. Even if they universalized the restrictions at 25% of capacity, it would still be questionable. Spit-flinging people cramped into tiny restaurants is probably worse than mask-wearing people in a big church.

Interestingly, the majority opinion is per curiam - no one judge put their name on it. There were two concurrences, and two dissents.

Gorsuch's concurrence basically declares that overbearing executive lawmakers are using COVID as an excuse to roll back the Constitution, and openly calls out Roberts for enabling this by not being hostile enough to COVID measures in the first place.

Kavanaugh's concurrence and Roberts' dissent both say that COVID measures are fine in general, but that New York has gone way too far in their religion-specific measures compared to secular businesses or to other states' religious restrictions. The only disagreement is that Roberts thinks the case is moot currently and should be put aside until Cuomo re-imposes the restrictions, while Kavanaugh thinks a ruling should be made now regardless. Also, Roberts spends some time defending himself and the other dissents from Gorsuch's attacks.

The other dissent, by the liberal three, states that there should be a high bar for granting injunctions, and that it's not clear that it's in the public interest to delay COVID measures until the courts can get around to deciding on the actual case.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t wait for the Satanic Temple to really start pushing for more freedom from government since, you know, this should apply to all religions right?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Jealous Cow posted:

Can’t wait for the Satanic Temple to really start pushing for more freedom from government since, you know, this should apply to all religions right?

I can't wait for the SCOTUS in a 5/4 or 6/3 to decide that the Satanic Temple is actually Satanic and the members need to be preemptively persecuted before they can persecute REAL CHRISTIANS, because Satanic and Sharia starts with S!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

I can't wait for the SCOTUS in a 5/4 or 6/3 to decide that the Satanic Temple is actually Satanic and the members need to be preemptively persecuted before they can persecute REAL CHRISTIANS, because Satanic and Sharia starts with S!

Can’t wait for this poo poo to drag Hialeah back up.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/caycemorris/status/1332035567140429827?s=21

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Done Jett I think your mom might need glasses. I can sorta buy it if I squint at it the right way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s because Johnson hasn’t looked like that since 1994 and his chain on the black shirt looks vaguely like a jabot on a black robe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Platystemon posted:

It’s because Johnson hasn’t looked like that since 1994 and his chain on the black shirt looks vaguely like a jabot on a black robe.

also i like the idea that ginsburg was totally ripped

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dont think its a very good caricature of the rock, as well

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/orennimni/status/1333793386482962435?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Corporations are people… except when it’s inconvenient to those in power.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Corporations are people except when they own people, oohrah America :patriot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Corporations are five‐thirds people.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Slaan posted:

Corporations are people except when they own people, oohrah America :patriot:

Double Jeopardy, we are fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Corporations are people. Immortal, intangible, amoral people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/orennimni/status/1333794501207289860

lmao

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/colinkalmbacher/status/1333803259937517568?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reading that whole thread it sounds a lot like we're gonna get a 6-3 or even a 7-2 by that boils down to "yeah the whole Nestle owning child slaves thing is hosed up but there isn't enough to prove aiding and abetting, also this really more a Congressional issue."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

I really hope Breyer is failing at sarcasm in response to Thomas, and not, uh, stating his actual beliefs.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

I think she missed the part where 10 slave holders form a corporation with a million non-slave holders.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/colinkalmbacher/status/1333799619348766723

lmao at the DOJ arguing that stopping child slavery would harm their efforts to stop child slavery.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to go into the most prestigious courtroom on the planet and argue that 'slavery is cool and legal if a corporation does it, actually'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vyelkin posted:

lmao at the DOJ arguing that stopping child slavery would harm their efforts to stop child slavery.

Well duh, if we actually succeeded in stopping child slavery we'd have to shut that program down and fire everyone. You don't want to be a job killer, do you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1333847732893732864?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s almost as if the Nuremberg Trials didn’t go far enough.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

we live in the fourth reich :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doc Hawkins posted:

we live in the fourth reich :shrug:
I saw a response tweet which I think sums up that brief-

'Broke: Nazi Party. Woke: Nazi LLC'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thousands of people holding hands, chanting "corporations can't be held liable for child slavery"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I think of “extremist centrist”, I think of Maddox’s Regressive Party, which is against abortion but for killing babies.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to go into the most prestigious courtroom on the planet and argue that 'slavery is cool and legal if a corporation does it, actually'

These days, it wouldn't surprise me if a soulless lawyer (but I probably repeat myself) could make serious money bringing this argument before the court.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1333851523118456833?s=20

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

These days, it wouldn't surprise me if a soulless lawyer (but I probably repeat myself) could make serious money bringing this argument before the court.

The Supreme Court part alone is at least $250k in fees

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I really hope Breyer is failing at sarcasm in response to Thomas, and not, uh, stating his actual beliefs.

Compared to other court-watchers, Kalmbacher seems to be taking some liberties with the details in his description, which tends to obscure the actual legal principles being discussed - not exactly great when you're talking about Supreme Court arguments.

Another description of Breyer's position is here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ted_Hansons/status/1333811911964717059

That said, everyone seems to unanimously agree that Katyal really is pushing the envelope on evil in his legal strategies, to a degree that even the conservative justices seem reluctant to endorse.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1333856812513234948
https://mobile.twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1333807959076458496
https://mobile.twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1333820395099664386

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao when you're so nakedly evil even Alito is like "come on man, walk it back a bit."

Why does some random dipshit Rep have standing to sue over the certification of Presidential election results?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sydin posted:

Why does some random dipshit Rep have standing to sue over the certification of Presidential election results?

Based on all the cases so far, he doesn’t. Usually no one stops you from filing though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sydin posted:

lmao when you're so nakedly evil even Alito is like "come on man, walk it back a bit."

A rep could have the barest standing to sue over election matters since they'll just argue that the harm is them not getting the 'proper' winner and elected official they should, I guess? You can sue for anything though, standing be damned (the courts won't be too happy with you either for wasting their time).

IIRC, this dipshit's case was thrown out with prejudice when the PA Supreme Court heard it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sydin posted:

ulmont posted:

[H]e doesn't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We'll probably see a single line on the next list of orders that says "The application for emergency writ requested of Justice Alito and referred to the full Court is denied."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
The way this is being described makes it sound like the lawyer is self-sabotaging, ostensibly arguing his case while subtly making it absurd.