Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Vic posted:

I don't know, lots of people keep complaining about pointless collectathons because they are compelled to 100% a game.

For me it's always nice to have some mindless side activity if I enjoy the game enough to just dick around.

I like collectibles, but give us an unlockable option to show them on the map. Nothing more annoying than missing one thing and having no idea how to find it without checking every location!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Vic posted:

I don't know, lots of people keep complaining about pointless collectathons because they are compelled to 100% a game.

For me it's always nice to have some mindless side activity if I enjoy the game enough to just dick around.

Oh I admit the only one to blame here is myself but - things like Banjo and Spyro were built around the collecting, AC felt a lot more tedious, a lot more just tacked on? Talking about a game you're happy enough to dick around in, I did enjoy collecting all the cards in the Witcher and diving for the million chests because it was pretty and had a good soundtrack.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Alhazred posted:

Fallout 3's savesystem can really gently caress you over. I got stuck In the virtual neighbourhood (I think I sequence broke it) and my last manual save was several hours ago.

Fallout 3's save system is hot rear end for the reason you mention, but in that specific scenario I don't think you can actually get stick in the virtual neighborhood unless the game glitched out (which, being fallout 3, is very possible).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

Secret packages in gta III were good because for every 10 you got there was a free weapon in your base. Collecting for no reason is dumb I say as I think of my boxes of useless common magic cards.

Hey you never know when a $3 junk rare is going to skyrocket in price like Sword of Light and Shadow.

Course your $25 Sliver Hivelord might drop to $8 two weeks after you buy it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Tony Hawk Remake is kick rear end and as addictive as I remember EXCEPT some of the tricks are really hard to do on the analog stick. I know you can use the dpad but my muscle memory is super hosed up after 20 years and I can't make my brain use it to move around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Fallout 3's save system is hot rear end for the reason you mention, but in that specific scenario I don't think you can actually get stick in the virtual neighborhood unless the game glitched out (which, being fallout 3, is very possible).
Luckily there was an slternate way to get out (I couldn't find the last npc I had to kill so I sent in the chinese army instead)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Some Goon posted:

Fallout 3's save system is hot rear end for the reason you mention, but in that specific scenario I don'.t think you can actually get stick in the virtual neighborhood unless the game glitched out (which, being fallout 3, is very possible).

That happened to me in Oblivion where I hard saved while I was in some magic painting filled with minotaurs I had barely any way of taking out. Not sure how, but I was severely under leveled in that spot. They were two shotting me easily and it took me forever to GTFO. For some reason, I think I was stripped of some items too. I almost quit since I had no other save.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just turn it to very easy. It's why the difficulty button exists

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That reminds me of another thing dragging down FO3: Sometimes mission critical npcs will wander off or disappear. Meaning that you have to search after them in order to progress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ulex minor posted:

Does anyone actually enjoy doing these kinds of quests or are we all just slaves to our idiot brains.

To me, it's a function of (a) traversing the world or getting the collectible being fun in some standout way, and (b) having a reasonably small number of things to collect. Like for PS4 Spidey, it's just fun to websling around chasing down a fair number of escaped pigeons so of course I'm gonna go for those. Valhalla and Odyssey, I'll hunt for stuff that's nearby or take an occasional evening off of quests to collect stuff, but lmao if you think I'm ever gonna care about finding everything.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alhazred posted:

That reminds me of another thing dragging down FO3: Sometimes mission critical npcs will wander off or disappear. Meaning that you have to search after them in order to progress.

I'm pretty sure that's the entire literal plot line of fallout 3

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Am I the only one who found the post-first clear grind in Hades super tedious? At this point i'm powerful enough and know the game well enough to clear if I'm trying even sorta hard, but it takes forever to earn bounties (why doesn't it award me multiple bounties if I jack the heat up?) and aiming for specific builds is just mashing the RNG button to see if a desired build comes together in a satisfying way. The combat isn't good enough to carry me through this.

I look at guides that are like "this aspect really comes into its own at max level" - 15/16 titans blood! That's 8 clears, for one aspect.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Boxman posted:

Am I the only one who found the post-first clear grind in Hades super tedious? At this point i'm powerful enough and know the game well enough to clear if I'm trying even sorta hard, but it takes forever to earn bounties (why doesn't it award me multiple bounties if I jack the heat up?) and aiming for specific builds is just mashing the RNG button to see if a desired build comes together in a satisfying way. The combat isn't good enough to carry me through this.

I look at guides that are like "this aspect really comes into its own at max level" - 15/16 titans blood! That's 8 clears, for one aspect.

If you don't like the combat, which is like 95% of the game, I'm not sure why you're playing it.

(also you can get titan's blood from other areas, like saving a lot of money for the final Charon store, or trading in a bunch of resources in the store)

I mean, your complaints are valid (I don't necessarily agree with them for Hades specifically) but that's like more of a complaint with the roguelike genre as a whole.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the entire literal plot line of fallout 3

That whole sequence was actually really great. You find your dad, he sends you away to do something (maybe he even knows that poo poo is gonna go down) and then he's shot right in front of you- Then you have to escape through the Taft Tunnel which at least for me was really tense because I was low on ammo and health items. It was one of the few times where Fallout not being able to play a cutscene worked in it's favour, that sequence is a lot tense when you're in control the whole time and are vulnerable to die.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Just turn it to very easy. It's why the difficulty button exists

Pretty sure that quest could gently caress you even on Very Easy because of how oblivion’s enemy scaling worked (or really, didn’t work)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Morpheus posted:

If you don't like the combat, which is like 95% of the game, I'm not sure why you're playing it.

(also you can get titan's blood from other areas, like saving a lot of money for the final Charon store, or trading in a bunch of resources in the store)

I mean, your complaints are valid (I don't necessarily agree with them for Hades specifically) but that's like more of a complaint with the roguelike genre as a whole.

I feel like up until that first clear, progression is really significant. You're either unlocking things that make significant changes to your play or making big improvements to you game knowledge. Once you get over the clear hump, though, almost by definition, you have a solid grasp of the game, and mechanical progression just screeches to a halt; like, it costs as much to get your second DD as it does to get a...10% chance of a rare boon.

You're probably right that it's more of a complaint with the genre. Until you get enough to clear easily, it played like an action game to me, but as soon as the gameplay shifts from "beat it" to "have fun beating it" it feels like it turns more clearly into a roguelike (if that makes sense), which is definitely a genre I've bounced off of plenty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Boxman posted:

I feel like up until that first clear, progression is really significant. You're either unlocking things that make significant changes to your play or making big improvements to you game knowledge. Once you get over the clear hump, though, almost by definition, you have a solid grasp of the game, and mechanical progression just screeches to a halt; like, it costs as much to get your second DD as it does to get a...10% chance of a rare boon.

You're probably right that it's more of a complaint with the genre. Until you get enough to clear easily, it played like an action game to me, but as soon as the gameplay shifts from "beat it" to "have fun beating it" it feels like it turns more clearly into a roguelike (if that makes sense), which is definitely a genre I've bounced off of plenty.

Yeah that makes sense. Once you beat the game, it's beaten, and frankly I applaud the game for giving more incentive to beat it repeatedly (via plot and character development) over just, like, having the pride of beating it 10 times on 50 heat or whatever. But yeah, once I beat the game four times or so, I fell off of it quickly. I still want to play it to see more, and I do enjoy the combat still, but I am a fan of games that unlock new mechanics, and now that I know I'm more or less done with that in this game (I think), there's less incentive.

Also Age of Calamity came out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ilmucche posted:

Secret packages in gta III were good because for every 10 you got there was a free weapon in your base.
This was super helpful in the final story mission, which takes away all your guns and then makes you fight through an army of Cartel goons at the dam. Dropping by your safehouse to pick up the M-16 and the rocket launcher makes the mission infinitely less annoying.

A modern Rockstar game would just insta-fail you if you tried to return to your place during the mission.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Tony Hawk Remake is kick rear end and as addictive as I remember EXCEPT some of the tricks are really hard to do on the analog stick. I know you can use the dpad but my muscle memory is super hosed up after 20 years and I can't make my brain use it to move around.

Frankly the fact that you can get anywhere on the analog stick at all impresses the hell out of me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bushmaori posted:

Frankly the fact that you can get anywhere on the analog stick at all impresses the hell out of me.

I beat all the goals in 1+2 on the analog stick for the same reason, my brain just doesn’t want to DPad anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ulex minor posted:

AC felt a lot more tedious, a lot more just tacked on?

AC1 famously had more repetitive poo poo stuffed into it at the last possible second just for the sake of acquiescing to an executive's idiotic demand.

I like open world game collectibles, but ideally they should have some kind of quality beyond "somewhere there are 200 things...try and find them all!" Later Ubisoft games, for as much as people kvetch, at least usually try to make their collectibles a little more puzzle-y or feature as part of an optional setpiece or just a small tableau.

Collectibles and other points of interest also do a lot to modulate the pacing in open world games.

BiggerBoat posted:

That happened to me in Oblivion where I hard saved while I was in some magic painting filled with minotaurs I had barely any way of taking out. Not sure how, but I was severely under leveled in that spot. They were two shotting me easily and it took me forever to GTFO. For some reason, I think I was stripped of some items too. I almost quit since I had no other save.

That's the quest where you have to poison your weapons with turpentine in order to fight literal painted trolls. I'd say it's probable you missed the intended solution, but also trolls are generally tough bastards anyway and Oblivion has scaling problems on top of that soooo...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

AC1 famously had more repetitive poo poo stuffed into it at the last possible second just for the sake of acquiescing to an executive's idiotic demand.

I like open world game collectibles, but ideally they should have some kind of quality beyond "somewhere there are 200 things...try and find them all!" Later Ubisoft games, for as much as people kvetch, at least usually try to make their collectibles a little more puzzle-y or feature as part of an optional setpiece or just a small tableau.

Collectibles and other points of interest also do a lot to modulate the pacing in open world games.

Nintendo would learn from this lesson and put 900 Korok seeds in BotW

Also an even more bland open world

Yet people loved it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Five Nights at Freddy’s games are on game pass so figured I’d check them out with my kid. Is that..it? There’s no tutorial or control listing anywhere so I genuinely don’t know if I’m missing something or not, it seems to just be sitting in one room flicking lights on and off

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

The Five Nights at Freddy’s games are on game pass so figured I’d check them out with my kid. Is that..it? There’s no tutorial or control listing anywhere so I genuinely don’t know if I’m missing something or not, it seems to just be sitting in one room flicking lights on and off

Yeah that's it in the first one. They add more and more plates to spin as the series progresses. Your direction comes from the man on the phone

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone made a good point in here earlier. Open world games are so much bigger than collectathons used to be and also, there's not really a ton of platforming options outside of Mario? The last Assassin's Creed game I played was 3 and it was pretty automated, you hold the run button and Connor just automattically platforms around. There aren't a lot of movement things as far as I'm aware. I know in a later game they give you a grappling hook, but the last movement thing I remember you could unlock was the climbing leap from 2.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Yet people loved it

Because an open world where you go from point A to point B is boring, which is 99% of open worlds. In these games, there's no purpose to the open world, it could've just been a linear game with some side paths.

BotW gave you a playground to run around in and to find secrets in, not just a map full of icons to walk between. And it was an actual 'open' world, where you could do anything, including fighting the final boss, in any order you wanted. That's the difference.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Because an open world where you go from point A to point B is boring, which is 99% of open worlds. In these games, there's no purpose to the open world, it could've just been a linear game with some side paths.

BotW gave you a playground to run around in and to find secrets in, not just a map full of icons to walk between. And it was an actual 'open' world, where you could do anything, including fighting the final boss, in any order you wanted. That's the difference.

The secrets are literal poops, weapons that break before you kill one moblin camp, and copy+pasted shrines

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have yet to find literal poops to collect in BotW, and I've been looking hard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have yet to find literal poops to collect in BotW, and I've been looking hard.

Korok seeds are literal poops

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just realized I'm mixing up AC1's flags and AC2/Brotherhood's feathers. At least in AC2 finding 50 of them actually does something and I think the game might automatically mark ones you've previously spotted in eagle vision on the minimap? And then in Brotherhood they're just another normal collectible IIRC.

Len posted:

Yet people loved it

You're pointedly not told to find all 900 korok seeds by the game, or that there even are 900 in total AFAIK, not even indirectly via a progress meter. They unlock useful upgrades, so they aren't just a shiny bauble that exists just for the sake of it. And said upgrades are incremental rather than an all or nothing system (ie, shooting 199 pigeons in GTA4 does gently caress all). They're actually pretty well designed and avoid a lot the usual problems collectibles have. BotW is hardly the Zelda game with the worst, most pointless collectibles.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

The secrets are literal poops, weapons that break before you kill one moblin camp, and copy+pasted shrines

Like I said, you're not simply running from icon to icon, so the actual game itself is fun. As opposed to other games, in which the secrets are:

a) a gun that is the same as every other gun but with +1 damage
b) 1/100 collectibles that do nothing until you get them all
c) a piece of equipment that's obsolete by the time you open your next crate/chest
d) crafting material

And aren't even fun to find, since you just walk to the nearest icon to pick it up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Korok seeds are literal poops

I know, but what I mean is, I'd have stuck with hunting them down a lot longer if they were actual turds sitting around to find rather than having to talk to someone for a poop joke seed every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All of those things are more interesting than "50 rupees" "poop" or "this cool flaming greatsword that's made of cardboard"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

All of those things are more interesting than "50 rupees" "poop" or "this cool flaming greatsword that's made of cardboard"

You seem to be confusing what I'm saying.

In normal open-world games, getting collectibles is boring as poo poo. You mark a waypoint, walk to the waypoint, get the shiny thing. It doesn't matter what the collectible is, because you may as well be purchasing it from the store. There's no purpose to the 'open' part of the world except for busywork. And no, they're not better than what you find in BotW, because I have played a shitload of open world games and I can tell you that I can barely recall the reward for any of them. A 10-second audio clip for getting hundreds of riddler trophies. Some useless rewards that are simple trash to be broken down for clearing a monster den. I can't even tell you what the reward for a single thing is in the Farcry games despite doing them - probably gold plating for your gun.

In BotW, at least finding the thing is fun. Noticing something 'off' and investigating, to be rewarded for your efforts is better than the reward itself. I'd look for koroks even without the seeds. Similarly, finding shrines off the beaten path, buried behind rubble or in an underground maze, is really cool. The reward is some more health/stamina, which means an easier time exploring, which is even better.

You are also conveniently forgetting about finding armor sets and fairy shrines, or new quests or the loving Master Sword which I didn't even realize was in the game because I didn't explore its area.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Nov 26, 2020

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm playing through the Uncharted series for the first time and that's really weird with collectables. On the one hand, I really like that they're diverse antiques that a treasure hunter like Nathan Drake would conceivably pick up.

But on the other hand, they're so tiny and marked out by just a shiny glare in out of the way places, and completely kill the pacing of the levels, that they've become majorly irritating to me. Plus there's no way of checking which levels you've missed them on, nor do they unlock anything, as far as I'm aware.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

This exact magic painting save doomed my first playthrough of Oblivion.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The overworld in Thief is terrible. It’s technically an open world hub between levels, but there’s hardly anything in it and some of the transition areas are hard to see. You can climb around on rooftops a bit but it’s all very limited and linear, it’s basically one long corridor with upgrade shops on either end. The game itself isn’t bad (though overshadowed by Dishonored doing everything it does better) but Traversal is a huge pain and it’s dull and boring

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ulex minor posted:

It's an old complaint but I still think my worst gaming experience was collecting all the feathers in Assassin's Creed.

No one was forcing me to do it, it had no material gain, it was just subjecting myself to drudgery because I wanted that 100%. Does anyone actually enjoy doing these kinds of quests or are we all just slaves to our idiot brains.

I always assumed the devs were forced to put in Achievements so they randomly dropped a hundred collectibles and passive-aggressively went "There. Now go get your achievement, NERD"

I'm replying Ghost Recon: Wildlands with a friend after not touching it for 3 years and noticed that they added a few things, namely a game mode where you lose your save file if you die (ala Diablo hardcore mode) and a wave survival thing.

The hardcore mode is kinda sorta cool on paper, but I think it fails at what it's trying to do. Having only one "main" weapon is supposed, I think, to either make you bring a different weapon than you normally would or to force you to rethink the way you play, but instead it pretty much forces you to bring an assault rifle everywhere all the time. Shotguns and sniper rifles aren't viable anymore (unless you're way better than I am) so you just lug the most boring weapon around for the whole game. The permadeath isn't even that big a deal because you still get revived by your squad.

The wave survival thing, however, is just terrible. Before even starting it up, it's kind of a weird thing to have in a stealth game with very average shooting mechanics, and the flaws of the engine become really obvious really quick. They also only have one map to play on, with 5 or 6 positions to defend, so that gets boring quick. You always start with the worst shotgun in the game and there's no way to change that. Even if you play the game for a million hours, there is no way to unlock other starting weapons. And even beyond the starting loadout, the weapon selection is really bad, partly because, here too, you only get one "main" weapon so shotguns and sniper rifles are out for not being versatile enough, but also because the weapon and parts selection is very limited so you'll probably get the one decent assault rifle after the 6th wave and stick with it until the end. It also really highlights how poor the AI is, with your teammates regularly walking past enemies or just standing around doing nothing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Its a zelda game it has a master sword

This one gets sleepy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something that's bugging me in AC Valhalla, which allows fatal fall damage: at least one of your fast travel points brings you in pointed away from the safety of a hay bale, making it easy to kill yourself and have to reload two seconds after you just sat through the load screen. It's not hugely long, it's just another of those stupid little details that should've been polished out.