Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Most of Canada had Chip and Pin in the 2000s and now we're past that point and use TAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET ON OUR LEVEL PLEBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fried Watermelon posted:

#7 is really bizarre

how does picking up receipts off the ground of the super market help?

Its from the UK, and some places there have coupons on the back of receipts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I use NFC or Apple pay as much as possible. Half the time they don't have it enabled, or they would but today that system is down or whatever. Mag stripe isn't uncommon. Gas pumps are just starting to have NFC.

This is Los Angeles.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Slotducks posted:

Most of Canada had Chip and Pin in the 2000s and now we're past that point and use TAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET ON OUR LEVEL PLEBS

Tap is where it's at. You can tap and spend up to $100 here without even using your PIN. When you do drop more than 100 though you get to spend 5 min trying to remember your PIN so not sure it saves time in the long run.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i pay in cash

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i thought people born in 1924 used checks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I used to pay cash but then roni happened and minimising contact with anything and everything became a priority. The bank can know that I blow all my money on funkopops now rather than just think I have a gambling / alcohol / drug problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've got a coworker who still only shops at places that accept check and doesn't have a debit card.

She went away for a week vacation and panicked because "how will I pay my bills if I'm not home to send the check?!"

Note: she is 38

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I usually pay with barrels of unrolled pennies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carthag Tuek posted:

i thought people born in 1924 used checks

the whole point is I want to be untracable, why would I use a check?

edit: though the real trick is to use a debit card for all your normal purchases but save cash for the gun store / sexatorium

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Slotducks posted:

GET ON OUR LEVEL PLEBS

Canada also has an oligopoly of 5 banks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just remembered when I got a new work phone and it came with a really nice leather wallet-type case that had slots for cards and I was very excited because that meant I didn't need to carry around my wallet anymore!

Then the first day I used it my bus card wouldn't work until I removed it from the case, my key card wouldn't work until I removed it from the case, and before I went to lunch I took a look at the packaging the case had come in, and sure enough it was protected against the card slots being any use to anyone in the civilized world because it blocked the cards from working, and it listed that as some sort of good thing :psyduck:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered when I got a new work phone and it came with a really nice leather wallet-type case that had slots for cards and I was very excited because that meant I didn't need to carry around my wallet anymore!

Then the first day I used it my bus card wouldn't work until I removed it from the case, my key card wouldn't work until I removed it from the case, and before I went to lunch I took a look at the packaging the case had come in, and sure enough it was protected against the card slots being any use to anyone in the civilized world because it blocked the cards from working, and it listed that as some sort of good thing :psyduck:

Yeah, I've seen that advertised as a 'feature' of wallets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Most cards in the states from my experience don't have tap to pay and a lot of people buy those wallets because "ITS SAFER"

I worked at a gas station for a few years and a significant number of people didn't want to pay at the pump because "they're all compromised and my information will be stolen"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i mean gas station pumps are a super popular place for people to skim

i still remember how cibc refused to acknowledge that chip and pin could be hacked or duped, despite proof of concepts being demonstrated well before this happened:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bank-customer-s-lawsuit-raises-questions-about-fraud-liability-1.2561676

quote:

The case of an Ontario man who was charged more than $80,000 on his credit card for purchases he claims he didn't make is raising new questions about the security of online and credit card transactions and whether banks are shifting liability for fraud to their customers.

Three years ago, Jason Monaco sued the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce after the bank insisted he was responsible for charging the cost of a custom-built race car to his bank-issued Visa card, a purchase Monaco says he never made.

Monaco, the founder and managing partner of a Toronto investment relations firm, alleges in his lawsuit that he discovered the charge of $81,276 "during a routine check of his Visa account balance" in June 2010.

After CIBC was alerted, the bank ultimately removed a second charge of $4,972 that Monaco also disputed. His lawsuit alleges that although both transactions bore the same fraudulent signature on the transaction receipts, CIBC is holding Monaco responsible for the car purchase because that transaction was completed using a personal identification number (PIN) in conjunction with the card's embedded chip.

Monaco declined to speak about the case. Monaco and CIBC have also filed claims against the business where the fraudulent transaction took place.

In its statement of defence, CIBC argues that "it is not possible to process a chip and PIN transaction without the Visa card and the confidential PIN."

Steven Murdoch, a researcher with the computer laboratory at Britain's Cambridge University, disagrees that "chip and PIN" security is impenetrable.

"It's actually quite an old technology — between 15 and 20 years old."

loving banks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been :byodood: warned about people who go around with wireless atm terminals tapping people's butts to cyber pickpocket them.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

anyone with 81k available to them at any time is a bad person and i hope both he and the bank ruin each other

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
unfortunately i have no idea how that played out, i even tried searching public records awhile back and got nowhere, maybe they settled out of court and there was an nda

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CommonShore posted:

I've been :byodood: warned about people who go around with wireless atm terminals tapping people's butts to cyber pickpocket them.

The RFID proof wallets always seemed weird to me because if you wanted to skim card data the most efficient way to do that would be to find an unmanned terminal and just figure out a way to place the skimmer that it isn't obvious

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Edit: Nvm, already said.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I've got a coworker who still only shops at places that accept check and doesn't have a debit card.

She went away for a week vacation and panicked because "how will I pay my bills if I'm not home to send the check?!"

Note: she is 38

I’m 37 and I think I write like 3 checks a year

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Nastier Nate posted:

I put the age there so people didn't think she was an older person. Like my dad writes a lot of checks but he's pushing 60 so that feels like it makes sense

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
just go to the UK and pretty much every single place of trade has contactless and also nearly every bank will provide an app that immediately pings you the details of any purchase.

on my monzo I can just freeze my card in like 8 seconds if I get a notification of anything odd

:edit: to clarify I am not actually recommending you go to the cursed land of England

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

T-man posted:

anyone with 81k available to them at any time is a bad person and i hope both he and the bank ruin each other

imagine an "investment relations" CEO trying to convince a banker that he didn't drop 80k on a custom racecar

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The currency of the future is stock in companies that have no path to profitability.

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1331351888600707080

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’m 35 and I write like one check every 5 years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i mean gas station pumps are a super popular place for people to skim

I live in the city so I haven't pumped petrol in years. :smugmrgw:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Doggles posted:

The currency of the future is stock in companies that have no path to profitability.

incredible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sure Kamala Harris will introduce a program where convicts carry around rich people in sedan chairs for no compensation.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Doggles posted:

scrip 2.0

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The RFID proof wallets always seemed weird to me because if you wanted to skim card data the most efficient way to do that would be to find an unmanned terminal and just figure out a way to place the skimmer that it isn't obvious

In theory with a RFID thing you could just walk by people and not have to come back for the skimmer, in practice nobody's really figured out how to get around the whole "they're only designed to work within like 5cm of the receiver" thing

I mean there's some proof of concepts and some theoretical ones but yeah afaik nobody's actually out there with a magic antenna that can couple to RFID cards 10 feet away.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Doggles posted:

Siri, can you get dividends from a company that's never made a profit?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

aren't most equity payments either tied up in contract bullshit that means you can't actually use them or some special kind of security that's worth a fraction of real stocks? keep in mind i have no idea about finance and refuse to learn

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Companies like to pay their employees in stock cause it’s not real money and they can throw out as much as they want. That’s why when you hear the CEO of some fortune 400 getting paid $25 million a year a lot of that is stock and if they were forced to only pay our cash they’d reconsider those compensation package real quick.

That’s how you know you’ve made it in this country. When you don’t get a wages or salary but a “compensation package”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doggles posted:

Not employees, but they’re paid in company stock. :thunkin:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
can't wait for the economist fo fawn over it.
"the new coop for a digital age"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Literally more worthless then scrip, how are you supposed to pay for food at the company store with equity?

At least with scrip you could load it into a sock and use it to beat the company man to death.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Media Bloodbath posted:

can't wait for the economist fo fawn over it.
"the new coop for a digital age"

The lack of hyphenation or diaeresis here is upsetting to me.

E: diæresis?

E: diaëresis?

Failed Imagineer has issued a correction as of 11:41 on Nov 27, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

The lack of hyphenation or diaeresis here is upsetting to me.

E: diæresis?

E: diaëresis?

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've been using a tiny, 5 branch bank since I was a kid and I'm going to be able to start using contactless payment "Soon(tm)"