Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rt4 posted:

Yes, I dreamed about finding myself trapped in a restaurant full of unmasked people a couple weeks ago. It was really upsetting, so I can only imagine what it's like for people who actually work in restaurants!

Huh, weirdest dream I had in the last year was about conspiracy of Bill Gates to poison everyone with silver gas, so we needed to all melt down our silver jewelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

we wear the masks everywhere but our desks
unless every single desk in your office is in a sealed airtight cube, your office is loving it up.

there's three ways to safely be in a building during covid times:

- be at home with no visitors

- have covid-specific ventilation equipment (vertical airflow) and masks if you're near a person

- ventilate the room vigorously every 10-15 minutes and wear masks at all times

if you're doing anything else you're just continually playing russian roulette with a 100-chambered revolver

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Huh, weirdest dream I had in the last year was about conspiracy of Bill Gates to poison everyone with silver gas, so we needed to all melt down our silver jewelry.

colloidal silver is the only thing that can stop covid duh

edit: remembering my coworker who swore by colloidal silver and the customer who interjected himself into our conversation to also swear by colloidal silver and now I am sad.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

People having anxiety dreams about masks need to switch of the news for a couple of days.

This is literally a generational crisis that we solve by sitting on our asses doing nothing at a pretty low level of personal risk, unless you are a medic or carer.

Very fitting for a society that no longer needs or cares for us.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

People having anxiety dreams about masks need to switch of the news for a couple of days.

This is literally a generational crisis that we solve by sitting on our asses doing nothing at a pretty low level of personal risk, unless you are a medic or carer.

Very fitting for a society that no longer needs or cares for us.

the problem is that capitalist brainworms coupled with a complete and utter lack of education and intervention from the government, results in millions of people being forced to come in to work that could just as well do it from home

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This is more of a philosophical question than a practical one (for me at least, I've welcomed lockdown as a chance to grow out my hair) but a thought popped into my head when I saw a row of closed hairdressers and beauty salons and I can't really work out if there's actually an answer.

When the English national lockdown ends on 2nd December, when would be the optimal time to use any of the shops or services that have been locked down for a month? My initial thought is "Early as possible on the very first day" because that minimises the chances that the person serving me is infected and contagious, but also this is the point where they're going to be busiest, maximising the chance that I'll encounter another customer or person on the street who's infected, even if the shop properly enforces social distancing.

Then I thought a week later would be safest because the shops will be quieter, but that's entirely reliant on the staff member (who's normally self-employed and so doesn't get sick pay) properly isolating if they've been infected (and of course ignores the chances of them being asymptomatic)

*Then* I thought a month later, because the chances are then that - if their workplace is risky enough that they have a significant chance of being infected - they'll be immune, but at that point we're likely to be in runaway community transmission because of Christmas, which makes it the riskiest possible time to leave the house at all (and there's also a load of thoughts then about the possible ramifications of Brexit, which is it's own whole additional catastrofuck).

Like I say, this is just a theoretical question for me because I'm happy enough with my hermetic existence, but there are plenty of people who feel like they *need* a haircut, or a manicure, or any of the other things denied during lockdown, and it's an interesting thought experiment for these plague times.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Get a respirator.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

find a hairdresser who can cut your hair around the respirator you're wearing

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Anne Whateley posted:

Get a respirator.

And use it on the plane to New Zealand.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

And use it on the plane to New Zealand.

My cousin is a coder type who moved there in February of last year with his new wife. They marriage lasted three months? But he’s still there, pretty happy and on his way to citizenship.

No I’m not jealous why do you ask?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Michael Corleone posted:

Listen buddy, my Governor told me they are going to start dosing people on the 15th! Have no idea where that date even came from since as far as I know none of the vaccines are actually approved yet...

Assuming you're in the USA, the FDA is scheduled to review the Pfizer vaccine on 12/10 and assuming no surprises all expectations are that we'll see a EUA and medical professionals getting injected with their first dose very quickly after that.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mumbling Nuggets posted:

"Prosecutors Will Be Violated"

Bill Posters is innocent.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I was out for a walk today and passed a house with the fascist flag hanging out front. They had seven cars in the driveway/yard plus one or two inside the garage. Because of course. Happy Thanksgiving! :tif:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
whoch of the like 7 fascist flags i can think of off the top of my head was it

sitch reads different w swastika vs stars and bars vs trumpo

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

whoch of the like 7 fascist flags i can think of off the top of my head was it

sitch reads different w swastika vs stars and bars vs trumpo
The black and white and thin blue line one.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
stephen kings the stand had a cop as the second superspreader, the army guard guy as the first

you can deffo see cops being a standard for superspreader. mostly chuds, talk to a lotta strangers

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

stephen kings the stand had a cop as the second superspreader, the army guard guy as the first

you can deffo see cops being a standard for superspreader. mostly chuds, talk to a lotta strangers

In today's sad Thanksgiving parade in Manhattan, the only people without masks were cops

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

rt4 posted:

In today's sad Thanksgiving parade in Manhattan, the only people without masks were cops

This was the one constant in all the footage from the demonstrations this summer that I noticed. So many people were wearing masks but it was never the police.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

explosivo posted:

This was the one constant in all the footage from the demonstrations this summer that I noticed. So many people were wearing masks but it was never the police.

Only when deploying tear gas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
20 US states didn't report covid numbers today because of Thanksgiving, and 10 only did partial reports.

Still got more than 2.5 times as many cases and 1.5 times as many deaths as any other country, though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We need to hire this dude.

https://i.imgur.com/vMNIOUI.mp4

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Welp, my temp keeps going from 97.5 to 99.0 tonight and my back hurts. Not sure what this means but tomorrow I'm gonna get tested.

Hope it's nothing. Time will tell.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They don't even need to send a poet.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Picnic Princess posted:

They don't even need to send a poet.

I live in Deep America and don't know what a good alert system looks like, I get that this is missing details but what is the critical part intended to imply?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Almost everyone around me has stopped caring about mask mostly and it's making me feel like an rear end in a top hat for still wearing one. They don't care if they get it which is whatever. Humanity was a mistake anyway.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Strategic Tea posted:

:v: I had a few dreams of going out, anywhere, a supermarket or the mall and then realizing I forgot my facemask at home. This is the equivalent of dreaming going to school and realizing you are naked.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

zgrowler2 posted:

I live in Deep America and don't know what a good alert system looks like, I get that this is missing details but what is the critical part intended to imply?

Our alert system is similar to your alert system except every alert no matter how serious is at the highest alert level, like the one you guys use for tornadoes or incoming nuclear missiles. There's no differentiation between an Amber Alert 16 hours away and a nuclear meltdown.

In this case some idiot also forgot to add any information on the alert so presumably a bunch of phones went off like the car alarm from hell with no accompanying explanation.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

zgrowler2 posted:

Critical alerts get sent to all phones whether they have the app or not.

It's supposed to tell us no social gatherings in private homes, and limit of 10 outdoors, which was announced yesterday. No lockdown, of course, even though we're hot on the heels of America level crisis if we don't do something. Our cases went up by a factor of 10 in a month and our ICUs are filling up fast.

The discourse today was everyone go hang out together in malls instead because there's no limits to group size there. And if you go sit in the food court, no masks either because you're eating!

We're loving doomed and a blank alert over 24 hours late is so loving fitting for our situation.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Here's my rant of the day.

My mom is super right wing, but also works in a hospital position where it is very apparent how deadly the disease is and how much it impacts the hospital. It's nuts watching her trip through actual facts and right wing talking points.

I'm the same conversation she said all of these things.
Everyone is gonna get it eventually this winter. At least 70%.
The death rate is only 2% to 3%.(I was legit shocked she didn't use a more conservative estimate like 1%)
The deaths won't be all that bad, 4k a day sounds ridiculous.

This was all trying to defend the idea that shutdowns are unreasonable. When I pointed out that using her same numbers, 4.5 to 7 million people will die in the US alone. And she got really mad and said "Our president said we can't let the cure be worse than disease!" and refused to continue.

This all while she clearly knows it's dangerous enough that she won't leave her house for hardly anything. It must be other people that need to die to buoy the economy.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I could never live in a republican's head. So many contradictions. It'd be just an insane world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I could never live in a republican's head. So many contradictions. It'd be just an insane world.

Some great people live in Replublicans’ heads, rent‐free.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Platystemon posted:

Some great people live in Replublicans’ heads, rent‐free.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

My high school philosophy teacher tried to explain to us the concept of cognitive dissonance, and I really never understood it until the last few years with the right wing.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Greed and nihilism. I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of right wingers aren’t dumb, they are just racist, greedy, and lack empathy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

all my sympathies

fwiw, the trick to those things tends to be: questions and patience

don't make claims about facts. try to word anything you say as a question, and then let her come to the conclusions later on with the question stuck in her head

Gaunab posted:

Almost everyone around me has stopped caring about mask mostly and it's making me feel like an rear end in a top hat for still wearing one. They don't care if they get it which is whatever. Humanity was a mistake anyway.

you're not the rear end in a top hat, everyone else is

the correct move there is to double up and get a respirator that's comfortable so you can wear it all the time

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

It makes sense if you just think on an emotional level. 'Values' or whatever dumb poo poo it's called now.

They agree with the tribe and follow the tribe. Fascist thought more or less. His mom probably got mad at him not because he's pointing out the end result of her logic but merely because he's forced her to think about it for a bit.

Working in a hospital is short-circuiting her worldview that the world is just.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It makes sense if you just think on an emotional level. 'Values' or whatever dumb poo poo it's called now.

They agree with the tribe and follow the tribe. Fascist thought more or less. His mom probably got mad at him not because he's pointing out the end result of her logic but merely because he's forced her to think about it for a bit.

Working in a hospital is short-circuiting her worldview that the world is just.

This rings true to me as it reminded me a lot of a conversation with her about climate change. The end result was that I must be wrong because it sounds too terrible to be true. She's retconned it in her head to being some huge own and sometimes spits out "This is just like you with climate change nonsense".

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 27, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I got something similar with my mom when the government was saying "masks are not effective and should not be used in public because they might make things worse" in April when the real issue was that there weren't enough masks available and general public jumping into using them would leave healthcare workers in short supply. Obviously this for whatever political reason was something that was not said out loud, especially since our national preparedness vaults had millions of masks that were out-of-date or just plain garbage, and this was found out after the Corona broke out big time in the capital region.

My mom being a career nurse was really conflicted over this, she *knew* that the masks work, period. But she also didn't want to believe that the government health officials were simply lying because the Office of Preparedness Reserves had hosed up big time. She actually scolded me for using a mask against recommendations, but also had hard time understanding why is should not work because proper masks work and she knew it.

She finally around July decided to believe me and her years of training in that the weasels at the public health department were lying assholes trying to not get fired over misappropriating resources.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

something that may help y'all understand those specific failure modes, covid deniers, as well as similar failure modes on "your own side"

there's nothing "fascist thought" about it

it happens to everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5tpQp6sT4

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is more of a philosophical question than a practical one (for me at least, I've welcomed lockdown as a chance to grow out my hair) but a thought popped into my head when I saw a row of closed hairdressers and beauty salons and I can't really work out if there's actually an answer.

When the English national lockdown ends on 2nd December, when would be the optimal time to use any of the shops or services that have been locked down for a month? My initial thought is "Early as possible on the very first day" because that minimises the chances that the person serving me is infected and contagious, but also this is the point where they're going to be busiest, maximising the chance that I'll encounter another customer or person on the street who's infected, even if the shop properly enforces social distancing.

Then I thought a week later would be safest because the shops will be quieter, but that's entirely reliant on the staff member (who's normally self-employed and so doesn't get sick pay) properly isolating if they've been infected (and of course ignores the chances of them being asymptomatic)

*Then* I thought a month later, because the chances are then that - if their workplace is risky enough that they have a significant chance of being infected - they'll be immune, but at that point we're likely to be in runaway community transmission because of Christmas, which makes it the riskiest possible time to leave the house at all (and there's also a load of thoughts then about the possible ramifications of Brexit, which is it's own whole additional catastrofuck).

Like I say, this is just a theoretical question for me because I'm happy enough with my hermetic existence, but there are plenty of people who feel like they *need* a haircut, or a manicure, or any of the other things denied during lockdown, and it's an interesting thought experiment for these plague times.

Just buy a hair clipper and give your self a buzzcut.