Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

People talk about Galileo being persecuted by the Church but he got poo poo from other scientists too that wasn't based on religious objections.

Can’t help but think Galileo really got in trouble for stuff like writing a book where the geocentric model was argued by a stand in of the pope and naming him dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MariusLecter posted:

People talk about Galileo being persecuted by the Church but he got poo poo from other scientists too that wasn't based on religious objections.

Yeah I can't help but feel that a lot of Galileo's problems came about because he was just a massively annoying rear end in a top hat who no one liked.

Which makes it especially funny when every modern idiot who has their dumb pet theories rejected inevitably describe themselves as a "modern Galileo". :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Memento posted:

You're right, there was massive demand for catholic missions all over the Americas in the 15th century

Yeah, but not until the very end of the century.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

christmas boots posted:

Can’t help but think Galileo really got in trouble for stuff like writing a book where the geocentric model was argued by a stand in of the pope and naming him dipshit

Literally calling him Simpliccio the Fool

Also the whole "and yet it moves" is a myth

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bony tony posted:

Goofy Galilei said it so it's TRUE.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

The best way to convince people I am right is to call them dipshit the stupid and then they can't help but love me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you, an idiot dipshit loser: the sun goes around hte earth
me, a genious smartyman: actually its the opposite, :smuggo:

was galileo the first shitposter?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ignoracio the Abderite posted:

Martialis predated Galileo by a lot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Carthag Tuek posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shitposting through the ages, an aspiration for all mankind

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Socrates started philosophical shitposting, but Diogenes perfected it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

His opponents were idiots, and Galileo was right (in a relative sense)

I'm not about to defend the 17th-century Church who deserved a Thirty Years' Fart in their faces

Goonlileo did nothing wrong

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean if anywhere is the exception to that it's probably Antarctica.

Gotta convert all those paguins.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bony tony posted:

goons.txt could easily be attributed to diogenes if you sanitized modern tech out of it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Aphrodite posted:

Gotta convert all those paguins.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

Ignaz Semmelweis reduced instances of puerperal fever to a level almost equal to modern hospitals around two centuries ago by having everyone in his natal hospital wash their hands properly. Unfortunately, although he knew and could prove people died less in his hospital, he had no idea why, because germ theory hadn’t been invented yet. This failure of intellectual rigour caused the mainstream medical profession of the day to completely ignore his work, which allegedly was the cause of his mental breakdown and subsequent death in a mental hospital.

(I recalled all this because it cropped up in my research into Céline’s ties to Nazism; it transpired that his doctoral thesis was on Semmelweis, who turned out to be a far more interesting person than Céline).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Torquemada posted:

Ignaz Semmelweis reduced instances of puerperal fever to a level almost equal to modern hospitals around two centuries ago by having everyone in his natal hospital wash their hands properly. Unfortunately, although he knew and could prove people died less in his hospital, he had no idea why, because germ theory hadn’t been invented yet. This failure of intellectual rigour caused the mainstream medical profession of the day to completely ignore his work, which allegedly was the cause of his mental breakdown and subsequent death in a mental hospital.

(I recalled all this because it cropped up in my research into Céline’s ties to Nazism; it transpired that his doctoral thesis was on Semmelweis, who turned out to be a far more interesting person than Céline).

Here's the Wikipedia article for Semmelweis, should anybody else be curious, because I looked him up after reading your post and am so distressed over the way this person's life panned out. Jesus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's the Wikipedia article for Semmelweis, should anybody else be curious, because I looked him up after reading your post and am so distressed over the way this person's life panned out. Jesus.

It’s like one of those Cassandra-type movies where the hero knows exactly what’s going to happen but can’t convince anyone of the incoming doom. :smith:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bony tony posted:

Yeah but popes are often morons, and you should be able to call them morons without getting arrested.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Torquemada posted:

It’s like one of those Cassandra-type movies where the hero knows exactly what’s going to happen but can’t convince anyone of the incoming doom. :smith:

It's funny you mention that because Semmelweis is mentioned by Brad Pitt during an insane rant about germs in the movie 12 Monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0ztidz_I8

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Such a good loving movie. I need to watch that again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

that's basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, Semmelweiss' TRUE belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?'

Semmelweis certainly didn't believe it was a contagious disease - he's on record saying it definitely isn't!

semmelweis posted:

Childbed fever is not a contagious disease. A contagious disease is one that produces the contagion by which the disease is spread. This contagion brings about only the same disease in other individuals. . . .Smallpox causes only smallpox and no other disease. . . . Childbed fever is different”

People asked him for more data (since childbed fever was a disease that was well known to come in outbreaks, and he could have gotten lucky). He didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS - and in the meantime, even in his handwashing ward there was another outbreak of childbed fever.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, he revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to say 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

christmas boots posted:

This is like the regressives defending MacArthur High School and the Irvine police department because actually, Ahmed’s clock wasn’t very cool and it looked like an idiot’s conception of a bomb

So what if he was baiting them? If they took the bait, that’s on them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

Such a good loving movie. I need to watch that again.
It's still really, really good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

My favorite example of galileo being thoroughly awful as a scientist:

Kepler's model was already well liked at that point, but Galileo hated it because OBVIOUSLY the idea that the moon could somehow "control the tides" was occult nonsense. And besides, Galileo KNEW he had a perfectly good model of the tides sloshing around, which accurately gives them a 24 hour cycle *is told by local sailors that No, the tides are on a 12 hour cycle* which was a PERFECTLY good model of a 24 hour cycle and I trust my theory more than the 'observations' of some dumbass sailors.

Keep in mind that the 'formal heresy' the church tried him for is based on the Aristotlean theory of forms; he was considered heretical because he said his particular poo poo had scriptural support (when a lot of it was obviously incorrect), and the logic was essentially 'Galileo claims some bullshit that's wrong' -> 'Galileo says scripture says his bullshit is correct' -> 'Galileo is saying scripture is making false claims' -> 'Scripture is true, so an interpretation that is obviously false is heretical'.

But that's the on paper, the real reason that the pope told Galileo, 'hey, buddy, you want to write a compare/contrast for each theory giving the pros and cons of each? Sure, go ahead, just include my opinion that all that really matters is whether your mathematical theory has predictive power.'

And then Galileo publishes his paper and it's

(A) obviously dishonest in favor of his own personal biases (to the point where he says 'if you do this parallax experiment it will prove me right', when he had actually done that experiment and gotten the opposite result), and more importantly

(B) takes the pope's request and basically goes

And it turns out that publicly spitting in the face of your biggest patron in cutthroat medieval Italian politics is a bad idea.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Nov 27, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Platystemon posted:

This is like the regressives defending MacArthur High School and the Irvine police department because actually, Ahmed’s clock wasn’t very cool and it looked like an idiot’s conception of a bomb

So what if he was baiting them? If they took the bait, that’s on them.

Noting that Gaileo was an unlikable rear end in a top hat that burned all his bridges doesn't mean that the Church was correct, just that it shouldn't be surprising that he got in trouble for it. It's also not at all like the racial profiling of a 14 year old boy.

bony tony posted:

I wasn't too familiar with Diogenes before today but lmao at this barrel-dwelling public masturbater who could walk up to you and deliver a burn so harsh people remember it for millennia.

quote:

Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one `idea' of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.

"I can see the cup on the table," interupted Diogenes, "but I can't see the `cupness'".

"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect with which to comprehend `cupness'."

Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"

Plato nodded.

"Where is the `emptiness' which procedes this empty cup?" asked Diogenes.

Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the `emptiness'."

And then he takes a big poo poo before leaving

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king. Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”

Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”

christmas boots posted:

It's also not at all like the racial profiling of a 14 year old boy.

It is possible to discuss the structural similarities of events without drawing moral equivalence between parties or outcomes of those events.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like Diogenes and the lentils is one of history's stealthiest fart jokes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh man diogenes would have loved fart jokes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Diogenes was wild, like a dog.

Behold a man of great hits.

quote:

Being asked where in Greece he saw good men, he replied, “Good men nowhere, but good boys at Sparta.”

I lack the context to know if this is putting down the Spartans as mere boys or if it’s reference to pederasty.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The reason I hated Brussels sprouts as a kid but like them as an adult isn't because of my more sophisticated adult palette. It's because, back in the 90s, a Dutch scientist identified the chemical compounds that made them taste and smell like hot garbage, found a few varieties that didn't produce them, and managed to cross-breed a new better tasting variety.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've never had the bad ones and I hope not to because they're awesome. But even so people tended to just boil them until they were sulfur balls and that seems like it could ruin anything.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The reason I hated Brussels sprouts as a kid but like them as an adult isn't because of my more sophisticated adult palette. It's because, back in the 90s, a Dutch scientist identified the chemical compounds that made them taste and smell like hot garbage, found a few varieties that didn't produce them, and managed to cross-breed a new better tasting variety.

I loathed brussels sprouts as a kid, couldn't even bear the smell off them.
I tried some again a couple of years back, basically a tasting menu which had them as a component in a dish, and nope, still loathe them. Just not as intensely. They are still bad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta try seasoning and roasting them, it's a completely different food than the sad-sack boiled version that made me think I fundamentally hated them.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think these had been roasted with bacon and it was in a nice restaurant and I still hated them. They're pretty much the only food I refuse to eat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta try seasoning and roasting them, it's a completely different food than the sad-sack boiled version that made me think I fundamentally hated them.

Yeah you’ve got to roast the hell out of them.

If they’re not black around the edges, they’re not done yet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Hygiene posted:

I saw someone on a cooking youtube video cut them in half, salt and pepper them, put them cut-side down on a baking tray and then laying bacon strips over the top and baking the whole lot until the bacon was crunchy and the sprouts were fried in bacon fat.

That seems like a "greens in name only" kind of thing but, gently caress it, why the hell not.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

quote:

Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the `emptiness'."
Aside from everything else about it, this is obviously not an authentic quote since the Greeks (and most people throughout history) didn't think of the brain as where intelligence is stored. That's a modern thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Huh, yeah it appears that phren (the location of thought/contemplation) was in the torso: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phren

Could be translator's discretion, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"The Greeks" had no opinion on the function of the brain. Some Greek thinkers thought the brain was where you actually lived, Aristoteles (most famously) thought it wasn't. What other Greek people thought about the matter? We just don't know.

e: Anyway:

Lava lamps are sealed at the top with a bottle cap.