Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should be able to stock it with joja cola from your inventory and autosell it to the townsfolk for slightly above market price

There's only, what, one person in town who will intentionally buy jojocola?

Not sure that's a great business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

There's only, what, one person in town who will intentionally buy jojocola?

Not sure that's a great business model.

That right there is a niche market, giving you the ability to further increase the price.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Finished the joja run. W2, all hail cranberries. The little movie was nice although no one got punched, but it was much shorter than the CC vid so that could be good or bad depending on how you feel about those. As a reward for your apathy and naked pursuit of profit you get a jojacola machine that doesn't actually spit out soda. 5/10. A perfectly adequate outcome.

I think it's pretty wild that if you look at global steam achievement stats less than 10% of players do a joja run. I get that they're painted as the bad guys pretty ham-handedly, but lol it's just a game and sometimes you'd rather just pay for upgrades than wait another while rear end year for one thing to be available again.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
As I said when I started the run, Joja is the most chill method of play. No panicking about whether you missed the ONE rainy day to catch some fish, no rush for animals, special merchant is a "maybe she has a cool wallpaper" friend instead of some kind of a non-red cabbage stocking sociopath. Sadly Pierre doesn't cry or react as far as I can tell.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

frogge posted:

I think it's pretty wild that if you look at global steam achievement stats less than 10% of players do a joja run. I get that they're painted as the bad guys pretty ham-handedly, but lol it's just a game and sometimes you'd rather just pay for upgrades than wait another while rear end year for one thing to be available again.

I like doing the bundles, I think they are fun. I suspect most players agree with me. I already spend a good chunk of the rest of my time trying to figure out ways to max income and spend as much money as possible buying new ways to make money, it's nice to have the alternative collection activities it provides as well instead of more of the same.

It's a very niche person who would prefer the jojo run even just mechanically speaking, even if they WEREN'T obviously bad guys.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

frogge posted:

I think it's pretty wild that if you look at global steam achievement stats less than 10% of players do a joja run.

Oh, God, I could never. The shame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it rewarded me with an event wherein Pierre has a screaming crying mental breakdown and then leaves the valley never to be heard from again, I'd go Joja every time.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

how does it feel to be a monster

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:feelsgood:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it rewarded me with an event wherein Pierre Cliff has a screaming crying mental breakdown and then leaves the valley never to be heard from again, I'd go Joja every time.

FTFY.

If you do a no-Joja run, do you never get the mine carts or the greenhouses?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

why all the Pierre hate when Clint is right there?

I got Clint as a secret santa one year and he gave me....geodes. He gave me gifts that were actively useless unless I paid him money. I couldn't hate Pierre more than Clint after that, not even on Wednesdays when his loving store is closed for no goddamn reason I need seeds you gently caress open the door

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I get the hesitation. I didn't do a joja run until like my fifth playthrough.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just started a new run and it has rained pretty much all of Summer 1. Does the RNG love me, or is this a new feature, or can it tell that I may have edited my save file?

Summer is rainy because the storms also destroy stuff with lightning bolts. You just got “lucky” probably.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
do you think humanity can solve its own problems or do you think it must bribe capricious, mystical spirits to solve its problems for it

if the former, you go joja :hai:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GlyphGryph posted:

I like doing the bundles, I think they are fun. I suspect most players agree with me. I already spend a good chunk of the rest of my time trying to figure out ways to max income and spend as much money as possible buying new ways to make money, it's nice to have the alternative collection activities it provides as well instead of more of the same.

This. It gives me reasons to engage with different aspects of the game that I might otherwise not engage with, and it's a fun puzzle to solve out what bundles I can get as quickly as possible and how to min/max everything. Joja is a hell of a lot more efficient, in that you can quickly unlock the most profitable stuff and then abuse it to get as much money as quickly as possible, but that's not as interesting.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I have started an intended joja run like 3 times but I always get bored because without the bundles forcing me to do something other than the objectively "correct" moneymaking move for the day I basically just do the same thing all the time

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Coolguye posted:

do you think humanity can solve its own problems or do you think it must bribe capricious, mystical spirits to solve its problems for it

if the former, you go joja :hai:

After that wizard put brew in me, I was hosed up enough to believe a talking mouse would give me hats for cash. Don't judge.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guildenstern Mother posted:

As I said when I started the run, Joja is the most chill method of play. No panicking about whether you missed the ONE rainy day to catch some fish, no rush for animals, special merchant is a "maybe she has a cool wallpaper" friend instead of some kind of a non-red cabbage stocking sociopath. Sadly Pierre doesn't cry or react as far as I can tell.

Yeah, it kind of goes against the theme of the game when submitting to the corporate overlords is more relaxing and stress free. Also, Sam and Shane get to keep their jobs and the town doesn't really get any worse. Oh, and the community center becomes a movie theater, which seems like a real upgrade.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

the town doesn't really get any worse
CLINT OPEN THE gently caress UP

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Coolguye posted:

CLINT OPEN THE gently caress UP

Oh right, Clint just pisses off on Fridays if you open the community Center.

Yeah, Jojo is the way more relaxing route.

Man, poor Clint, he has the worst game mechanics.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Joja seeds should be cheaper than Piere but be unable to get gold or silver stars without fertilizer or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How come the cashier isn't a character

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GodFish posted:

Joja seeds should be cheaper than Piere but be unable to get gold or silver stars without fertilizer or something.

You get served with a lawsuit if you use a seed maker.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Aah! This cross-stitch pattern!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's absolutely incredible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“X” for “elixir”.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I tried playing Friends of Mineral Town and it doesn’t hold up to Stardew Valley at all. I don’t get the positive reviews. It has cuter livestock but that’s about it.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Vegetable posted:

I tried playing Friends of Mineral Town and it doesn’t hold up to Stardew Valley at all. I don’t get the positive reviews. It has cuter livestock but that’s about it.

As someone who loved and grew up on HM64, I think it would be pretty hard to go back to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Rune Factory now. Stardew has set the bar on polish/content/QoL for the genre. I don't see how a competitor could really hope to reach it without investing a massive amount of development time and post-launch into a single game, which is probably a lot less feasible when you have a full development team instead of 1 (now 2-4?) person.

I guess Rune Factory 4 had a lot of content but a lot of it was combat-related, which isn't what I come to the series for.

I am also spoiled by mods but that's not really a fair comparison to make.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gaius Marius posted:

How come the cashier isn't a character

She is in Stardew Expanded mega mod. It’s... fine. Not really worth the hassle though.

Vegetable posted:

It came out before SV. This is a rerelease. It’s not bad, but it’s not as good as SV, because CA borrowed most of the good parts and added more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Manyorcas posted:

I guess Rune Factory 4 had a lot of content but a lot of it was combat-related, which isn't what I come to the series for.
RF4 absolutely has lots of content (almost all combat) and lots of crazy villagers (in very anime ways) so I think it holds up, as long as that's a thing you are actively looking for. If you're not, then Stardew has no competition.

(I assume the upcoming RF5 will be the same way. I'm still very excited for it cause that's up my alley, but this thread may be split.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's way more content in rf4 than in stardew. He'll one character in rune factory has more dialogue than every villager in stardew combined. Content, especially dialogue wise is one place where stardew really dropped the ball.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you do cross stitch, here's the alphabet pattern:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/793563776/cross-stitch-pattern-stardew-valley-a-to

here is a wedding certificate:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/695583609/stardew-valley-custom-wedding-cross

and here are all the animals, crops, and gems. You could do a dynamite Advent calendar if you got cracking now.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/616337592/stardew-valley-cross-stitch-needlepoint

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

There's way more content in rf4 than in stardew. He'll one character in rune factory has more dialogue than every villager in stardew combined. Content, especially dialogue wise is one place where stardew really dropped the ball.

The dialogue in general is easily SV's weakest aspect imo, it seems to be the only thing ConcernedApe isn't amazing at

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
From what I hear, the expanded universe didn't exact improve matters on that front either.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Expanded goes too far into the opposite direction of minimal dialogue into full cringe.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Something I'd be interested in seeing him do is have a character writer or two just to try to get different voices for the characters

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Stardew’s writing is better than any Harvest Moon game. I mean I guess if you’ve been conditioned by HM and especially RF to expect Farming Game = Max Anime you’d be a bit disappointed, and we could wish for more quantity, but the quality of CA’s writing is plenty good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do like Stardew's character plotting more than any Harvest Moon game, and I like its expanded range of subject matter in comparison to HM, but I do agree that there isn't really enough dialogue to pull off the characters beats they're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

chaleski posted:

The dialogue in general is easily SV's weakest aspect imo, it seems to be the only thing ConcernedApe isn't amazing at

He's not great at it and I also feel like it's harder to gauge getting better at it. Every other aspect of the game he could see where he was improving as development went on, but if you write 20 random daily lines for 30 characters each, there's not much in the way of feedback to see if your writing is improving (versus, say, seeing a noticeable improvement in your pixel art, or the thing you were trying to do finally working, or whatever).

Grapplejack posted:

Something I'd be interested in seeing him do is have a character writer or two just to try to get different voices for the characters

Agreed. If not writers, then perhaps editors to help punch it up a bit and give the characters a bit more.