Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I'm thinking of grabbing the bow off the BP since I've pulled no 4 star ones so far. I've got the crafted Compound Bow and the Favonious Warbow otherwise. I have or could have the mats easily to level each bow/character to 60.

If I'm doing "best" from those three bows for Venti, Diona, and Fischl who should get what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Canopus250 posted:

So I'm thinking of grabbing the bow off the BP since I've pulled no 4 star ones so far. I've got the crafted Compound Bow and the Favonious Warbow otherwise. I have or could have the mats easily to level each bow/character to 60.

If I'm doing "best" from those three bows for Venti, Diona, and Fischl who should get what?

Compound and the BP bow are mostly for DPS, Favonius is good for Support. I would only pull the BP bow if you are running DPS.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Razeam posted:

Now that I'm done with the event shops, I can start a much longer grind when I hit AR 45 this weekend, I guess!

Shame the way artifact domains are designed, I have no good cryo character so farming the artifacts is going to be a pain.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I finally knocked out chapter 8 of the adventure log and I don't feel as fulfilled as I was hoping. Alas.

It doesn't help that I had to wait a few weeks just to finish a few quests, the pacing was pretty bad but I guess they wanted the Rex spoilers to be closer to the banner.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Venti & Diona both do good with the Favonius Warbow so they can burst more often. Compound Bow or Viridescent Hunt are both good options for Fischl if you want her to be a main DPS carry rather than a support, the latter probably being a bit better in the long run.

It's kinda tricky in your case since no matter what someone is gonna have to settle for something less ideal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moush posted:

Shame the way artifact domains are designed, I have no good cryo character so farming the artifacts is going to be a pain.

Just co-op the hardest missions. That's all I'm doing, because I don't have a full team that can handle lvl69 (nice) solo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I finally knocked out chapter 8 of the adventure log and I don't feel as fulfilled as I was hoping. Alas.

gacha.txt

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bland posted:

That's a cool idea that would explain a few things, but where do the literal god-like beings and monsters fit into it?

So, another post full of :words:. Sorry about that.

I actually explained this in an older post but archons are directly referencing the apocalyptic Herrshers of HI3. Not only do their names mean the word ruler or lord when translated to english (Interestingly Archon also is a word meant to describe a demonic agent of a Gnostic demiurge that assists in deceiving humanity of it's higher nature. To bar humanity from ascending to a higher state of being they set upon and consume the souls of the dead in some interpretations of the religion. :stonk:) but they even have the same designs. Their religious names in Genshin are also all rocking a Lesser Key of Solomon (Sometimes referred to as the Ars Goetia.) motif in the form of being bindable demons, thereby tying them to the gnostic themes that HI3's later story elements and Genshin are referencing. I should also take a moment that Paimon is no exception to this naming theme as well.

Venti for instance is a gender bent version of a Herrsher people playing HI3 were clamoring to know more about, since she got knocked off fast. Her/his name is even very similar. The Herrsher form of Venti was a girl named Wendy. And in one timeline it's implied she just wrecked europe with a super-massive storm that'd put the ones we've seen on other planets in real life to shame. Venti is heavily implied to have done a possibly more benevolent version of this in the Not-Europe of Teyvat (Also, keep in mind the fate of the various worlds in HI3. Teyvat so far seems to be following the plot of HI3 albeit in a weird sort of same but different sort of way. There's even a demon sleeping in Li Yue/Not-China like in HI3!).

Zhong Li also potentially shows up in HI3 as well, albeit off screen in a different form. In the timeline where E.L.F.'s are made (That's what Paimon looks like! She is literally just an E.L.F. Which is essentially a minitarized mass produced combat unit designed to fight off Honkai infections and go toe to toe against Herrsher's.) humanity got wiped out by the Herrsher most likely representing the element and concept of Earth.

And now is a good time to remind you all that the Archon's are boasting seriously apocalyptic power that they've deliberately avoided showing off to the Traveler. And that they're basically an alternate company equivalent to Herrsher's that appear to be for some reason acting like the MANTIS super soldiers that opposed them in the prehistory of HI3. Makes you wonder what Dainsleif and the last chapter of this arc (Which his chat implies is just an intro to the real conflict.) are going to be showing us, huh?

Edit: From Wikipedia, regarding the Archons. If you've been paying attention to all the literary and cinematic references to a Kingdom of Darkness this puts the Archons in a far less benevolent light.

"Archons are, in Gnosticism and religions closely related to it, demonic entities subordinate to the embodiment of evil in the corresponding belief-system. Among the Archontics, Ophites, Sethians and in the writings of Nag Hammadi library, the archons are rulers, each related to one of seven planets; they prevent souls from leaving the material realm. The political connotation of their name reflects rejection of the governmental system, as flawed without chance of true salvation.[1] In Manichaeism, the archons are the rulers of a realm within the 'Kingdom of Darkness', who together make up the Prince of Darkness.

Evidently from works such as the Apocryphon of John, the Ophite Diagrams, On the Origin of the World and Pistis Sophia, archons play an important role in Gnostic cosmology. Probably originally referring to the Greek daimons of the planets, in Gnosticism they became the demonic rulers of the material world, each associated with a different celestial sphere.[3] As rulers over the material world, they are called ἄρχοντες (archontes, "principalities", or "rulers"). As with ancient astronomy, which thought of a sphere of fixed stars, above the spheres of the seven planets,[4] beyond the spheres of the evil archons (Hebdomad), there were the supercelestial regions which a soul must reach by gnosis to escape the dominion of the archons. This place is thought of as the abode of Sophia (Wisdom) and Barbelo, also called Ogdoad."

Notably, Gnosticism has a theme of the demiurge and it's servants not knowing that they're the bad guys. So maybe it's not intentional, but it sure looks like the Archons are probably also not entirely the good guys. :shrug:

Edit 2: One more thing showing how the Archons/Gods may be tied into Honkai Impact and Genshin as a whole. Here's a picture of Venti's alternate version as a Herrsher. in Honkai Impact 3.

It's literally Venti in her earlier incarnation as Wendy. And Wendy is (if that look on her face doesn't make it obvious) loving nuts. Honkai power is corruptive and leads those that wield it into madness and destructive urges. It's just that people have different resistances to it. Consider it like having a built in hazmat suit. Doesn't mean that you're immune to it. Just means that most people tend to go nuts a bit quicker while some have a form of protection to the energy. However, a high enough resistance means you can use it in a diluted form, but it'll eventually turn you into an even stronger form of Honkai entity --- a ruler/archon Herrsher with dominion over a given concept or element.

Also note that one form of the boss fight against Wendy takes place in a field of flowers that's literally a one for one copy of the one in the final chapter preview for this arc. And that the guy you're implied to be facing (Dainsleif) is boasting an overt Honkai infection in it's final stage. So it's possible that at some point the Archons may go from acting like the at least well intentioned MANTIS Warriors to...Well, see above. The corrosive effects of Honkai energy (Or whatever it is or is called in this setting.) may even be what caused the Archon War. At the very least the one Archon we saw that was sealed away was exhibiting some Herrsher-esque behaviors during the brief time we saw it, what with wanting to destroy the city in Li Yue due to all the humans there.

And did I mention that Honkai power is literally fueled by by the corpses of the dead? When a Herrsher personality starts to take over a Honkai energy user's body it summons many infected people with lesser energy resistance to it to them. This includes all the zombified corpses from people who couldn't withstand even so much as a touch of it. Since every Honkai entity is (according to the wiki) emitting Honkai radiation/energy itself, it boosts the power of the resulting Herrsher. Also, in at least one case Honkai energy can put people into comas, helping this process. Kiana in HI3 is almost a victim of this.

Kind of puts that whole "Gnostic Archons eating the dead" thing into perspective, assuming that the "gods" sealed away went nuts from the power. Especially with the theorizing people have done that Delusions are just a far less stable form of weaponized Honkai energy. Might explain why Cicin's have such a corpsy skin color. Especially since they're eating/collecting what may be Honkai energy producing flowers for something. Though i'll admit that that's wholly speculation on my part.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 26, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bennett's ult says that it increases damage based on his base ATK. What does this mean, exactly? Just his weapon and nothing else? I have to admit I haven't been impressed at all with him at level 70 with a level 50 Favonious Sword. Takes Ningguang's basic projectiles from around 915 damage to around 1020. Not really a noticeable increase and I'm reluctant to sink in even more resources to maybe boost that very slightly more.

On a related note, how is Diona as a healer compared to Bennett?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Vargs posted:

Bennett's ult says that it increases damage based on his base ATK. What does this mean, exactly? Just his weapon and nothing else? I have to admit I haven't been impressed at all with him at level 70 with a level 50 Favonious Sword. Takes Ningguang's basic projectiles from around 915 damage to around 1020. Not really a noticeable increase and I'm reluctant to sink in even more resources to maybe boost that very slightly more.

Yeah the only thing that affects the attack buff is Bennet's level, burst talent level, and weapon attack amount.

Bennet's heals are better than Diona. She does have shields and frost application so it depends on what content you're doing, but if you can only pick one Bennet is going to be better.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vargs posted:

He needs to have a weapon of comperable level as him or the ATK boost is going to feel irrelevant. And I believe it is just his base stats + the ATK from his weapon as a bonus. They're both very good healers, but Diona's heal does cryo damage and doesn't have an innate cap on when it stops. She also provides a shield that makes movement more efficient.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Vargs posted:

character atk + weapon atk, so an unleveled Favonius like that has him running at least 83 atk less than ideal circumstances. talent levels will also increase how much atk he hands over.

Diona's healing is just worse though, half as many ticks as Bennett's with worse scaling and uptime due to longer CD/higher energy cost. her shield and passives will preemptively pick up some of that slack but i'm not sure it's enough?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

vandiar posted:

Yeah the only thing that affects the attack buff is Bennet's level, burst talent level, and weapon attack amount.

Bennet's heals are better than Diona. She does have shields and frost application so it depends on what content you're doing, but if you can only pick one Bennet is going to be better.

I wouldn't say better they just have different strengths. Bennett's field heals faster and has the ATK boost but caps at 70%. Diona's field is a bit slower but it heals to full and also constantly ticks cryo damage while it's out so you can constantly proc reactions off it.

With proper gearing the shields definitely mitigate a lot. If you stack energy generation on her the ult is up decently often. Not as often as Bennett's but it's usually around when I need it.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

Honkai power is corruptive and leads those that wield it into madness and destructive urges. It's just that people have different resistances to it. Consider it like having a built in hazmat suit. Doesn't mean that you're immune to it. Just means that most people tend to go nuts a bit quicker. However, a high enough resistance means you can use it in a diluted form, but it'll eventually turn you into an even stronger form of Honkai entity --- a ruler/archon Herrsher with dominion over a given concept or element.

This seems like a piece of the puzzle of what Visions/Delusions actually are. If Delusions are Visions imbued with Honkai power, maybe the Fatui Harbingers got their positions by having a high resistance to Honkai power and the Foul Legacy Transformation is a controlled version of the conversion into a Herrsher? It'd also explain why Scaramouche, Childe, and Il Dottore are all kinda mentally unstable. Childe less so than the other two, but he seemed to get a bit more volatile once he started using his Delusion in the Golden House boss fight, IIRC. He's also the youngest/newest member of the Harbingers, so his mental corruption might have progressed less.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vargs posted:

Base attack, so him + weapon. He's extremely low investment if you're purely burning his Q (and level 1 E to charge it) as a support. Throw your free Rancour on him, stick a bunch of ER/HP to him and you've got nonstop damage boosts and plenty of vape opportunities. His heal is stupid fast but doesn't go to full or generate a shield like Diona's does. Either way the question isn't Bennet vs Diona, it's whether you can swing the extra slot for Diona in your group when you already have Bennet.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Also worth mentioning that Diona's heal starts as a projectile with kind of an awkward travel time, so it suffers from the weird autotargeting the game can have and can end up in places you didn't really intend. Overall, I like her as a character, but her healing should be used whenever it's up rather than in an emergency due to how cumbersome it can be.

Her real strength as a "healer" is the mitigation from her shield. Though the game really needs an indicator for shields, because it can be a crapshoot knowing whether you have enough left to eat a big attack in Abyss.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bloody Emissary posted:

This seems like a piece of the puzzle of what Visions/Delusions actually are. If Delusions are Visions imbued with Honkai power, maybe the Fatui Harbingers got their positions by having a high resistance to Honkai power and the Foul Legacy Transformation is a controlled version of the conversion into a Herrsher? It'd also explain why Scaramouche, Childe, and Il Dottore are all kinda mentally unstable. Childe less so than the other two, but he seemed to get a bit more volatile once he started using his Delusion in the Golden House boss fight, IIRC. He's also the youngest/newest member of the Harbingers, so his mental corruption might have progressed less.

That's almost certainly what it is. Especially if you read the manga of Genshin Impact, which shows what happens to Diluc's father. He had no vision, and no capacity to get one. He wore a mask to defeat one of the Harbringers when they turned into a Honkai monster --- like, it literally looked like the dragon from HI3. He was able to use the power for a brief time to ward off the Harbinger, however for some reason his flesh turned into dust or Diluc was forced to "put him down" (There's multiple stories about what happened. The manga goes with him dying for unexplained reasons in Diluc's arms afterwards. Most likely due to the Honkai equivalent of radiation poisoning.) afterwards.

Given that a Gnosis (Again, another Gnostic concept!) is probably just A stable Genshin variant of the MANTIS warrior transformation, possibly also on it's way to becoming a more traditional Herrsher over the span of centuries or millenia it's likely that everyone carrying a vision is infected and on their way to becoming an insane monstrosity of Evangelion tier proportions. The only hitch is that since people with traditional visions still die on a mortal time span, meaning they can't turn since it's implied they're being selected due to either their nature (Read my post about the ascension items and how they match.) or for resistance. And since Gnosis' appear to confer a bunch of other benefits it's rare this overtly happens in a great quantity. Maybe the result of when it happens is the Archon War?

Delusions are what happens when you have an Archon go "LOL gently caress RESPONSIBILITY" and use some of the residue produced by their gnosis to get around the safeties keeping all that from happening. In fact, if you read the manga then a Delusion is specifically described as being a cast off "dust", energy, or in some sort of way part of whatever makes an Archon so powerful. In addition to that, in the manga someone is said to be infected with those same energies that are later suggested to make up a delusion.

From what I remember from someone describing this plot, this child ends up all sorts of hosed up. Things get worse partway through the story as she starts experiencing terrifying desires to murder and maim everyone, accompanied by hallucinations wherein she decides to use her Delusion given powers to burn everyone to death while they're still alive part way through the story. It gives a good perspective on what happens to people that get infected with whatever an Archon's Gnosis is made of when it's in it's true form and not being constrained by a vision or Gnosis, however.

quote:

When Collei was born, she wasn't feeling good. Her worried parents brought her to the seer Barnabas, who explained to them that she had been touched by the deev, a supernatural creature. He tells them to give Collei to him in order to save her. However, Barnabas was working with the Fatui on human experimentation, and instead of saving her, he performed experiments and put Archon residue inside of her.

It is unknown if the Fatui let Collei go or if Collei escaped herself, but she was not treated kindly by the people of Sumeru and the other nations she travelled to. She was often abused by passing pedestrians, thrown rocks at, and pushed around. This only led to fuel her hatred of people and gods, and a strong desire for vengeance. In search for revenge, Collei traveled far, until she reached Mondstadt.

Said character is supposedly an upcoming character according to what some people are saying. Though it should be noted that she supposedly had those powers either sealed or harvested somehow. So who knows if we'll get too much detail about it.

I should also add that this last cinematic just dispenses with the subtlety and straight up says what i've been saying. Leonard talks about nature, and how when man is defeated by nature he creates tools to defeat nature in turn. This is potentially significant in a multitude of different ways both as an allegory for the greater plot of the Impact series and for the PC's themselves.

Honkai Energy is explicitly described as being "the will of nature itself". The travelers are [spoiler]quite possibly one AU version of the Ark that was created by humanity at the eve of it's death to finally put Honkai into it's place. Or maybe they're just the true Ark itself, depending on how far they're going to take the gnostic motif. Either way, Leonard explicitly describes the plot of the Travelers and how humanity reacts to the Honkai energy in whole. "When man is beaten by nature, he creates tools to beat nature." is literally the plot of HI3 prehistory.

Then he goes and gives you the plans for wings as his tool to conquer Pilos. Which just makes the comparison even more apt. Wings are used by the travelers to fly to the various worlds in the intro. The wings they wore back then were bearing a look and symbology almost completely the same as the emblem of Fire Moth. Which itself was the last remnant of humanity that was beaten by Honkai --- IE: Nature --- and created the Ark to finally escape it's corrupting influence for good.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 26, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bennett's heal is so absurdly fast that in a multi-hit situation, you're healing way more than Diona's. Or if your party is suffering, you can probably get your entire party healed to 70% from near death in the time it takes Diona's to proc 3 times.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
On Reddit there is a detailed analysis and theorizing of the last event chapter

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Im...utm_name=iossmf

One thing they pointed out that backs up what some here have speculated is the cryptic few sentences of the traveler story.

“The keeper is fading away; the creator has not yet come. But the world shall burn no more, for you shall ascend.”

“Keeper” could be like solaris in xenogears as has been mentioned.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 26, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tae posted:

Bennett's heal is so absurdly fast that in a multi-hit situation, you're healing way more than Diona's. Or if your party is suffering, you can probably get your entire party healed to 70% from near death in the time it takes Diona's to proc 3 times.

this is basically why i like her less as a pure healer, Bennett is fast enough to top up a whole party and can do it again after his 3s of downtime. i even have C1 Diona running around with a refined Sac bow so it's not like i have issues accessing her burst. when possible i'm usually running them together like Mailer mentioned.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
yeah once i got bennet my diona has been seeing a lot less play. maybe I'll poke around and see what I can replace her with. The frozen reaction is really useful tho (with a childe main)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Bennet, Qiqi, Barb and (i think?) Jean are your actual healers. I don't think Bennet is meant to be as good as he is. It feels like a situation where the devs thought the 70% cap would put him in line with other good-supports-but-can-heal characters like Diona/XQ. In practice they made it tick so fast that if you want to facetank damage and maybe dodge once or twice you're functionally immortal in Bennet's field.

I'm currently running Diluc/Fish/XQ/Diona and while it's working great, poor Fish is going to get dropped hard for Bennet whenever they finally add him to a banner.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

On Reddit there is a detailed analysis and theorizing of the last event chapter

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Im...utm_name=iossmf

One thing they pointed out that backs up what some here have speculated is the cryptic few sentences of the traveler story.

“The keeper is fading away; the creator has not yet come. But the world shall burn no more, for you shall ascend.”

“Keeper” could be like solaris in xenogears as has been mentioned.

I posted about all of that way back. Really suggest people check my posts in this thread. I go into a lot of detail about some of this stuff. That reddit thread doesn't even get into some of it.

There's no doubt there's some sci-fi stuff going on. Katheryne is a robot. And if Teyvat is one gigantic mechanical construct possibly fueled by and simultaneously besieged by Honkai energy (The ark was made from a Herrsher's core, from what I recall.) then it stands to reason that it'd have to make humans somehow. A genetic library alone is not enough to recreate a species. Cue robots.

This may also apply to all of the other humans. They're basically an artificial successor species using human thoughts and traits. Maybe Katheryne's errors and reboots are due to her being spread across multiple bodies?

I'm increasingly convinced that Khaen'riah didn't fall so much as get pushed. Theflower motif, with them representing corruption mixed with the field of them in both the final chapter preview and a Herrsher corrupted Wendy in HI3 is heavily suggesting that there's not only alternate universe shenanigans going on here, but also time traveling shenanigans as well.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 26, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jean's a pretty good healer since her weird 2nd passive is to just make her burst cost 60 energy. As a wind, she can use the Vird set to buff damage for elementals, and her unique usage of wind does Fall Damage and knocks mages out of their re-applying shields.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Constellations were mentioned a lot in this event. Has there been more mention in the game as to what they are? Maybe there has and I wasn’t paying attention. I was just aware of it as a gameplay mechanic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Archon just "god" in Japanese (not sure what it is in the original Chinese)? Similarly Visions are "god's eyes" IIRC. I forget what word was used for "gnosis."

The one thing I'm confused about regarding this whole theory (which otherwise seems very solid to me) is how the Traveller fits into it.

edit: My feeling about these sorts of plot twists is that I realize they're really gimmicky but I also totally eat that poo poo up since it's generally very entertaining if done reasonably well.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 26, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

theblackw0lf posted:

Constellations were mentioned a lot in this event. Has there been more mention in the game as to what they are? Maybe there has and I wasn’t paying attention. I was just aware of it as a gameplay mechanic.

I think the stuff Mona said about them in this event is all we know. They seem to be similar to the concept of a constellation in our world, except (according to Mona) people are wrong when they assume that they're just arbitrary lines imagined by humans. Apparently they're real things.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

So, I posted about all of that way back. Really suggest people just check my posts in this thread.

I think some of those posts are in the old thread; I don't remember seeing anything about ascension materials in this one and I've been here since the current one opened up.

theblackw0lf posted:

Constellations were mentioned a lot in this event. Has there been more mention in the game as to what they are? Maybe there has and I wasn't paying attention. I was just aware of it as a gameplay mechanic.

Mona's story quest mentions some more details, I think, like how she can't use astrology to glean information about the Traveler or their sibling like she can for other people, since they're from another world. One of the Traveler's voice-over lines also mentions that the stars in Teyvat are different from the ones in the Traveler's world.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Archon just "god" in Japanese (not sure what it is in the original Chinese)? Similarly Visions are "god's eyes" IIRC. I forget what word was used for "gnosis."

The one thing I'm confused about regarding this whole theory (which otherwise seems very solid to me) is how the Traveller fits into it.

According to the wiki, the Chinese word for Archon is 魔神, which is more-or-less "Demon God"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bloody Emissary posted:

I think some of those posts are in the old thread; I don't remember seeing anything about ascension materials in this one and I've been here since the current one opened up.

Mona's story quest mentions some more details, I think, like how she can't use astrology to glean information about the Traveler or their sibling like she can for other people, since they're from another world. One of the Traveler's voice-over lines also mentions that the stars in Teyvat are different from the ones in the Traveler's world.

Yeah, they're in the old thread apparently. They're must reads though. They go into the original story of HI2/Gun Girls Z, HI3, how it ties into Genshin, and a bunch of spoilery stuff like what Mist Flowers are, what Cicins are, what Delusions are, where the plot is leading, what Paimon is, how gnostic and Hebrew symbology are in the game and how they relate, and even about the secret substitution cipher puzzle that shows up in the trailers and possibly also on the mechs and ruins in game that tells you more about the plot.

Ashenai posted:

According to the wiki, the Chinese word for Archon is 魔神, which is more-or-less "Demon God"

Which still fits into the Gnostic and Ars Goetia symbology in the english version.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's going to be pretty funny if all these references to their old stuff just ends up being references and never has anything to do with the plot of this game

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if all these references to their old stuff just ends up being references and will never have anything to do eith the plot of this game

It would be a top tier troll, given that they've had two manga's going for years that play directly into all this stuff. It doesn't seem likely though. The manga alone kind of puts this to rest.

Hell, one of the MC's of the manga literally transcended beyond material existence and the reach of the Honkai principle via the Gnostic pursuit of seeking knowledge upon his death,.
He ended up ascending to a higher universe in the manga and the last he's shown he was conversing with an entity that offered to explain why things are the way they are.

Another character literally is a time and alternate universe traveler as the Traveler may be doing, albeit for different reasons. She goes from alternate universe to alternate universe to try and discover the mystery of why Honkai/Nature keeps ruining humanity. It's how we know that Paimon may not be a fairy, since she's using the appearance of an E.L.F from a destroyed reality.

There's definitely some red herrings tossed in there however.

The tree in Li Yue may just be the alternate universe equivalent of the Honkai infected monster/Archon in China in HI3 and has no greater relation to the plot. We'll have to see when Dragon Spine comes out if there's any similar sites, or if it's just an indication of the ocean goddess that shows up in the Li Yue finale and is nothing special. I forget where she emerges from. If someone remembers it could be useful in determining if it's relevant to something else.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 26, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Andrast posted:

It's going to be pretty funny if all these references to their old stuff just ends up being references and never has anything to do with the plot of this game

Fingers crossed.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Andrast posted:

hoping its this since "magic energy that makes you go crazy for no reason" is not the most compelling plot hook

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I've got Bennett c0 and Barb c2 for healers and Fischl c0 and Childe c0 for archers. Do I need to level Diona c2 for anything? I got her to 20 just because and left her there until I absolutely positively need a cryo archer for, idk, future abyss content? I haven't started abyss proper yet (only cleared 4-3), am running Klee / Childe / Fischl / Bennett in overworld, and have Chong and Kaeya for cryo support as needed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it all seems very tedious and stupid, so yeah i'm content to let the game do whatever it actually wants to do. it's their big crossover hit so i don't think it's going to get particularly insular about anything.

not like it's a bastion of amazing and original writing but i enjoy it well enough and the idea of injecting the sorts of cliche people are talking about seems like an actual step down

Archonex
May 2, 2012

YES bread posted:

hoping its this since "magic energy that makes you go crazy for no reason" is not the most compelling plot hook

It's way more complex than "for no reason". There's some sort of big plot reveal we've yet to see in any of the games or other media that's been teased at. So, uh, that's not going to be the case.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

If they were planning on incorporating this game into their extended misery universe or whatever I hope they've reconsidered after seeing how much wider their audience is with this game.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
having to read a manga and play a bunch of other (untranslated?) games to understand the plot of this one would certainly validate my decision to spam-click through everything story-related.
It's interesting, though, because some of the dialog is legitimately clever and touching, and so moving the focus from that to the matrix would be...dumb. Lost was the worst thing to happen to media in 20 years, now everything's a puzzle to be solved.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Archonex posted:

It's way more complex than "for no reason". There's some sort of big plot reveal we've yet to see in any of the games or other media that's been teased at. So, uh, that's not going to be the case.

magic energy that makes you go crazy for a reason that has yet to be explained over multiple games and several different mediums isn't any more compelling, to me

Bland posted:

If they were planning on incorporating this game into their extended misery universe or whatever I hope they've reconsidered after seeing how much wider their audience is with this game.

if they keep up the fun character interactions and give us a plot just sturdy enough to hang cool fight scenes on I will be content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game started with you being dimensional travelors, the alternative is that Genshin is just an isekai which is also just as bland