Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all the advice gang. Just to clarify a more "fun" car, I have a non-turbo bog standard auto trans 2008 Mazda 3 hatch and I found it was perfectly serviceable. I think moving from auto to manual plus whatever turbo adds to the enjoyment of going vroom is going to entirely tide me over since I don't really live for the thrill of drag racing down empty streets or do wild rides in the twisties or anything.

I don't use my rear seats 99% of the time but when I do they're really useful to have so I guess I'll see how I feel about them when I do some test drives.

Thanks again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In my experience the Veloster will not handle as well as a Mazda3 but it will be faster and more unique.

The back seat is possibly useful for small dogs or as a parcel shelf. The headroom is quite poor, but you have the right idea to scope it out and see whether you think you can live with it.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Mazda3 Turbo reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEyGgIDP2qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjcPp5ZWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmCvwTYqAE

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely do not like this generation of mazda 3's shape, just looks awful

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey FiST owners, I’m looking at a 19 for my next ride when my unkillable Saturn Vue (252k!) inevitably dies. Are Recaro seats worth the hassle to find? This car will be all city driving, year round, and here in Michigan, I’ve never had a car with heated seats, so the Recaros sounded like a nice luxury.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hey FiST owners, I’m looking at a 19 for my next ride when my unkillable Saturn Vue (252k!) inevitably dies. Are Recaro seats worth the hassle to find? This car will be all city driving, year round, and here in Michigan, I’ve never had a car with heated seats, so the Recaros sounded like a nice luxury.

If you fit into them then yes 100%. They’re the most special part of an otherwise very economy interior and I love them. Your passengers might hate them, though — they really are not too forgiving of larger body sizes. Also the heated part is very primitive (just on or off) but heats up quick and is wonderful on cold days.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Styles Bitchley posted:

Mazda3 Turbo reviews are out:
Would be interesting if it had something besides the normal 6-speed auto. Seems pretty torquey though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I agree with the above — they really make the car feel special and I think well worth the extra searching to find one with them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, the Recaros are worth it in the FiST. I regretted not waiting for a car that had them when I owned my FiST.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ok just took the fiesta out in the twisties and cornfields yesterday out in michigan

there is no way in gently caress I'm getting rid of this car.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

sneakyfrog posted:

ok just took the fiesta out in the twisties and cornfields yesterday out in michigan

there is no way in gently caress I'm getting rid of this car.

This is the right answer and the right way to arrive at it.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Cobb is currently having a 10% sale on Accessport now through the 26th. I should very definitely buy one for my otherwise stock '14 FoST, right? I've never modded or tuned a car before (my previous two cars were a shitbox '93 corolla and a '05 prius) and the Accessport seems to have a lot of high praise from what I've been able to research. The instruction manual makes it seem super easy and their stage 1 map is meant to work with OEM parts; seems like there are some decent gains to be made.

Do I have to keep it plugged in every time I drive my car? The ECU map should still be there even if the Accessport isn't plugged in, I just won't be able to see the gauges and whatnot, right? A few of my errand runs are like a 5 minute drive.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Danthrax posted:

Cobb is currently having a 10% sale on Accessport now through the 26th. I should very definitely buy one for my otherwise stock '14 FoST, right? I've never modded or tuned a car before (my previous two cars were a shitbox '93 corolla and a '05 prius) and the Accessport seems to have a lot of high praise from what I've been able to research. The instruction manual makes it seem super easy and their stage 1 map is meant to work with OEM parts; seems like there are some decent gains to be made.

Do I have to keep it plugged in every time I drive my car? The ECU map should still be there even if the Accessport isn't plugged in, I just won't be able to see the gauges and whatnot, right? A few of my errand runs are like a 5 minute drive.

technically you can plug it in, flash it and then put your accessport away in the house if you like. a lot of people (myself included) mount it in the car for the extra info that you can put on the screen while its in operation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i leave mine tucked away in the trunk

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a scared coward that doesn't want to risk losing warranty on a German car, but I really want an Access Port with an EQT tune on my GTI.

e: I should just ask my local vw service desk if they would care

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The issue with flash tunes on VWs is that for warranty VW will make them scan the car and it will flag your warranty regardless whether the dealer cares or not. They will still fix stuff not related to the drivetrain if it doesn't seem related to the flash tune. If you're worried about warranty work your options are APR+ and JB4.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Honestly I've only owned it for 8 months now, and it still feels plenty fast to me. I'll keep my eyes out for a used JB4 and save the EQT tune for when I've got it paid off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Made a performance upgrade on my Hot Hatch :v:

TRD intake tube on the right, stock tube on the left. Toyota sells the entire TRD "cold air intake system" for $400 which consists of this tube, a drop in K&N type filter and an airbox that is no different than stock other than it saying TRD in racing red text on it.

I already had the filter, and bought the tube on it's own for $30. Supposedly a little more POWA and MPG with the two combined we'll see.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rusty posted:

Would be interesting if it had something besides the normal 6-speed auto. Seems pretty torquey though.

Monkey paw will curl and it’ll get a CVT next :negative:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When I had the APR+ tune installed, the shop said they had only replaced one part under APR+ so far, which was a wastegate actuator for the turbo and likely not related to the tune itself. It seems that the Stage 1 tune is quite reliable. I still got the warranty ($400, essentially) because part of the point of the car is 6/72 and I'd like to maintain as much coverage as possible.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I currently have a 15’ FiST with an Cobb Accessport. I installed it when the car was pretty much new and had no issues at all. The gains were impressive at the time and I still like it. A friend is looking for an automotive Xmas present for her husbands 15’ GTI and I’m thinking of recommending it to her. The ease of installation/OTS maps and not going to the rear end end of the internet for maps is a plus. Anyone have any advice or experience regarding the VW Cobb stuff?

Edit:
The friend sent me this instead.

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/parts/ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS20

micron fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 25, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
From what I read about Cobb, it's great for pro tunes if you buy one, but you should stay away from the OTS maps, at least on a GTI, I don't know about other cars. If he's really in to tuning and can monitor knock and other parameters, it should be fine, if he just wants his car to go faster, APR is the way to go. The Cobb stuff is neat since you have complete control but you should be warned that using the OTS maps without knowing what you're looking at seems like a really bad idea on a GTI.

Edit: A lot of tuners sell Cobb with their tunes and are a lot better than the OTS stuff. EQT seems pretty popular.

https://eqtuning.com/products/cobb-accessport-v3-vw-mqb-gti-r-gli-ea888-2-0tsi

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 25, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have stratified tuning's stage one map and custom dsg tune and both are much nicer than the off the shelf Cobb tunes

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

What about the JB4 for a 2016 GTI? Anyone have any experience using their OTS tunes?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have a JB4 and it works fine, and has several options but I also run logs for each map I run to make sure I am not damaging my engine. There isn't as much risk either since you're pushing about as much boost as an APR+ tune for the most part. I run a map 2 with 92 octane and get a peak boost of about 5PSI over stock. With a map 6 you can custom tune per gear if you're good at reading logs, or you can send the logs to the JB4 owner and he will help out with a custom map. There are also forums to post logs to that will help you out. I decided since map 2 feels good and my car runs well with it, I'm just going to keep it there for now.

Here are all the options for maps and they can be changed on the fly with a phone app if you have bluetooth or with a laptop if you have the cable:

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I made it four months of owning the RS before buying upgrades! Black Friday sale Mountune B7 kit is on the way - accessport, FMIC and tubing, etc. Can't wait.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Rusty posted:

From what I read about Cobb, it's great for pro tunes if you buy one, but you should stay away from the OTS maps, at least on a GTI, I don't know about other cars. If he's really in to tuning and can monitor knock and other parameters, it should be fine, if he just wants his car to go faster, APR is the way to go. The Cobb stuff is neat since you have complete control but you should be warned that using the OTS maps without knowing what you're looking at seems like a really bad idea on a GTI.

Edit: A lot of tuners sell Cobb with their tunes and are a lot better than the OTS stuff. EQT seems pretty popular.

https://eqtuning.com/products/cobb-accessport-v3-vw-mqb-gti-r-gli-ea888-2-0tsi

Do you mind expanding a little or pointing me to some reading on why the Cobb OTS stuff should be avoided?

I don’t have one, but I’ve considered it for my ‘16 GTI, and I know very little. I had assumed that the stock stuff from Cobb would be a cool starting point.

I have a manual, so no DSG if that makes any difference.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know the whys, but the Mk7 group on FB is pretty unanimous that the Cobb tunes are trash and you want to get your AP with an EQT tune on it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nuurd posted:

Do you mind expanding a little or pointing me to some reading on why the Cobb OTS stuff should be avoided?

I don’t have one, but I’ve considered it for my ‘16 GTI, and I know very little. I had assumed that the stock stuff from Cobb would be a cool starting point.

at least compared to the stratified tune that i bought, the cobb reflash didnt seem to feel as smooth or produce as much power as the custom tune.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Nuurd posted:

I just read about them a lot and people have shown logs where timing is pulled or there was a lot of knock with even high octane fuel. I can't tell you specifically why since I don't have the tune, but seems like a general consensus around GTI forums.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't know the whys, but the Mk7 group on FB is pretty unanimous that the Cobb tunes are trash

This is the case in the Fiesta ST and Focus ST/RS groups as far as I can tell also.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks, had never read that deeply. Sounds like I should do a lot more research before buying or flashing anything.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What’s the standard stage 1 tune setup for a FiST? I’ve heard Mountune get thrown around a lot

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Here4DaGangBang posted:

This is the case in the Fiesta ST and Focus ST/RS groups as far as I can tell also.

I saw some rumblings of this, but also by and large the ST communities have been full of loving morons so I took it with a grain of salt. Been running the Cobb stage 1 tune on my Focus ST for 3-4 years and ~40,000 miles with no issues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MunchE posted:

I saw some rumblings of this, but also by and large the ST communities have been full of loving morons so I took it with a grain of salt. Been running the Cobb stage 1 tune on my Focus ST for 3-4 years and ~40,000 miles with no issues.

This has been my general perception of the Speed3 and GTI forums as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Speed communities are all trash but it's pretty much unanimous that all OTS Cobb tunes are garbage.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I think it's basically the difference between a custom tailored suit and one off the rack. Sure, the one off the rack might fit okay, but it wasn't made specifically for you. It was made to fit as many people as possible with a single unit. A tailored suit is made for you and you only, so of course it'll be better. I ran an OTS tune on my FoST when it was stage 1 for a couple weeks before I got my Stratified tune (a few years ago, running a cp-e tune now), and I could definitely feel the difference.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What’s the standard stage 1 tune setup for a FiST? I’ve heard Mountune get thrown around a lot

Mountune is expensive for relatively lower performance than other companies, at least for Euro spec vehicles (the US and Euro spec cars are slightly different, Euro uses MAF and US is MAP IIRC). If you're in the US then I can't say much about that but Stratified and Dizzy are two names I've seen come up a lot with good things being said.

I've got a Euro spec car and I run a Peron 1+ tune which is designed to go with a modded intake. Their Stage 1 tune requires no mods. I also run a larger intercooler, when I bought the tune I had to list all my mods, and they gave me a tune to suit. So it's an OTS tune but they must have a stack of different tunes for different hardware profiles that they've built up over the years. I'm slightly concerned that the weather in Aus is way hotter than Europe but heaps of people run these tunes with no dramas. When I have a job and some spare money again I'll get a high flow cat and move up to their Stage 2 Pro tune which is a big improvement, by all accounts. There are other popular brands too but I don't know the ins and outs. Revo, Collins Performance, Max'd (I think that's the brand, anyway).. But in the Euro scene Mountune is regarded as expensive and lacking in performance. The main draw of their stuff is typically that using it didn't void your warranty for certain packages, as they developed in conjunction with Ford or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Night Danger Moose posted:

I think it's basically the difference between a custom tailored suit and one off the rack. Sure, the one off the rack might fit okay, but it wasn't made specifically for you. It was made to fit as many people as possible with a single unit. A tailored suit is made for you and you only, so of course it'll be better. I ran an OTS tune on my FoST when it was stage 1 for a couple weeks before I got my Stratified tune (a few years ago, running a cp-e tune now), and I could definitely feel the difference.

that poo poo doesn't make any sense at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Placebos are a hell of a drug.

My Dad worked as a recording engineer, and he had several "client knobs" on the control panel which did absolutely nothing, but bands and producers would swear up and down they could hear a difference as he adjusted them. Oh well, everyone's happy, the product is out the door, what's the harm?