Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I play all kinds of different games for different reasons, some to really figure poo poo out on my own and others to clear out a map of its icons at an efficient pace. When people say "this huge open world game is great, they don't tell you where anything is," I think no, that is actually much worse. Show me where the cool poo poo is and I'll decide for myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That painted world quest is a poster child for why Oblivion's aggressive level scaling was stupid.

UESP wiki entry for that painted world quest posted:

Turpentine Leveling

There seem to be several "sweet spots" for the best level to do this quest. Both the Trolls and the Turpentines are leveled, but the Turpentines only increase in damage every 4 levels, while the Trolls increase every level, so if you do the quest at either level 1 or a multiple of 4, you will do optimal damage with the Turpentine. Level 1 is clearly the best time to do this quest as seen from the chart below. Turpentines do not increase in damage after level 20 so it will only get harder after that. This chart does not take into account the damage from the weapon you use to deliver the poison.

Worth noting that weapon damage does not scale beyond 20 either since that's when Daedric weapons turn up and they are the highest damage outside of unique weapons (which also max out before 20 anyway). Once you are 20, leveling only serves to make enemies take longer to kill. If you did the painted world quest at a high enough level it might well be impossible since the trolls scale forever and also regenerate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bushmaori posted:

Frankly the fact that you can get anywhere on the analog stick at all impresses the hell out of me.

I cleared out the warehouse and most of the school before I realized the dpad was an option but my thumb refuses to cooperate thus far.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Early on in AC Origins your character canonically gets his beard and scalp shaven, but you can toggle them on and off so you don't lose anything.

What are games where a numerical upgrade is a visual downgrade that you can't change or transmogrify?

eg. The Level 1 Sorcerer set makes you look like a sharp-dressed badass, the Level 2 Sorcerer set makes you look like a clown-sex-worker. Your character spends the second half of the game wearing bell-bottoms.

There are 18 levels in Resident Evil 4, and you lose that bitching bomber-jacket after level 1.

You can optionally end up with a dull expression in Disco Elysium but you'll only have yourself to blame.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Nov 27, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where a numerical upgrade is a visual downgrade that you can't change or transmogrify?

Metroid Prime 1 and 3 both have ugly late-game suits that you have to use (the suits in 2 are consistently decent).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AC Odyssey bugs me in this respect even though it's sort of a side case because of the sheer number of armor items. You find a badass helmet that looks way better than anything else, but because there's just a constant stream of other helmets pouring in, it feels useless to try and keep up with upgrades, and give up on style.

Ghost of Tsushima was refreshing in this respect, most armors have a few levels of upgrades you can buy, with corresponding perks added. I don't like the upgraded forms in every case, but the game lets you just cycle through the various looks of what you have access to while keeping the final stats active.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's not a numerical upgrade but there was a plague of games were the mc has to climb out of depression and alcoholism and they show this by having them shave off their nice hair but keep the lovely beard so they look even worse than before.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ghost of Tsushima was refreshing in this respect, most armors have a few levels of upgrades you can buy, with corresponding perks added. I don't like the upgraded forms in every case, but the game lets you just cycle through the various looks of what you have access to while keeping the final stats active.

AC Valhalla doesn't do this and it's annoying. My fully upgraded armor is way too garish. (gold is not a suitable reinforcing material!)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

eg. The Level 1 Sorcerer set makes you look like a sharp-dressed badass, the Level 2 Sorcerer set makes you look like a clown-sex-worker. Your character spends the second half of the game wearing bell-bottoms.

e: although in this example I'd be diving into the L2 outfit before the upgrade message was over

I'll recover from my quote /= edit mistake to actually edit this one in:

The Lone Badger posted:

AC Valhalla doesn't do this and it's annoying. My fully upgraded armor is way too garish. (gold is not a suitable reinforcing material!)

I'm also not so happy with the armor system in Valhalla. Going straight from Odyssey, it feels like new stuff is barely trickling in, in comparison. And that's before the cosmetic issue.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Nov 27, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CitizenKain posted:

AC series could benefit from being able to bring two planes into a mission, and swap between them. Kind of been an issue in the series since the start actually. Isn't enough reason to bring a ground attack plane when any interceptor or air superiority fighter can do the job.

Always felt like the game story was so far up its own rear end they don't give the game enough room.

Some missions have you fully fly way the hell out of the mission to land and get reloaded at an airfield and then make the return trip. Would make much more sense if you as the super cool pilot just hopped into another fully loaded plane. It'd be dope to take out an industrial area in the A-10 and then come back for the second half in an advanced fighter.

serefin99 posted:

See, I'm the exact opposite: I hate how reliant modern games are on autosaves, to the point that there either isn't a manual save option, or it's buried under 80 menus, and for precisely the reason you just said.

One thing that bugs me is when save and load aren't together. To load a different save I have to quit the game and go to the main game menu.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CordlessPen posted:

The hardcore mode is kinda sorta cool on paper, but I think it fails at what it's trying to do. Having only one "main" weapon is supposed, I think, to either make you bring a different weapon than you normally would or to force you to rethink the way you play, but instead it pretty much forces you to bring an assault rifle everywhere all the time. Shotguns and sniper rifles aren't viable anymore (unless you're way better than I am) so you just lug the most boring weapon around for the whole game. The permadeath isn't even that big a deal because you still get revived by your squad.

Ghost Mode taught me a lot of things about that game I'd never have figured out on my own. Most of the weapons and equipment are meant to be used in specific situations instead of as a primary. Use a sniper to pick off enemies at range at a base, then close in, change weapons at the first ammo box you find, and AR/SMG/Shotgun clear the rest / the path to your objective. Flashbangs are great for building clearing. Rifle grenades are the be all end all vehicle destroyers (with one notable exception). Assault rifles are a decent general purpose weapon, but there's enough ammo boxes around that usually it's easy to switch to a weapon better suited to what you're currently doing.

It also taught me that a) playing solo is way easier since sync shot is incredibly overpowered, b) if you're not in stealth you're dead, and c) the game is very buggy. Did you know if you're in combat in a mission, go down, get revived, and then fail the mission, when it reloads the last checkpoint the game thinks you've already gone down in that fight, so going down again is an instant game over?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Len posted:

Its a zelda game it has a master sword

This one gets sleepy though

The Master Sword is only in like, half the games in the series though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

The Master Sword is only in like, half the games in the series though.

that's fair, probably less than half even?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cleretic posted:

I think the start of Assassin's Creed and the Ubisoft style of open world games was perhaps the definite end of the 'golden age' of collecting things as a fun thing to do in a game by itself.

The thing that I think made the N64 era of collectathons so satisfying was a combination of two things:
A: Variance in challenges. There's a bunch of variety in what you're doing to collect things, so collecting those things will usually be a fun, varied experience itself. A big problem with Ubisoft collectibles is that you're never really doing anything interesting for them (probably because there's hundreds of the loving things).

B: A lack of completion rewards. Achievements aren't enough, you want something cool to hold up. Banjo-Kazooie's Stop'N'Swop reveal was a great one, and incremental upgrades like with Zelda's heart pieces do a lot (especially if the final amount is aesthetically pleasing), but honestly even the smaller or 'useless' ones are still cool. Yoshi giving you a hundred lives in Mario 64 was pointless, but it was still special.

You know, it's funny i see this post when i did. Because i was literally just thinking about how Ubisoft games used to be and i in "totally thinking to much about video games mode" and my thought was something like "when Rayman 2 told me back in 1999 that there were 1000 Yellow Lums to collect, i was- and still am- very excited to go do it. But when any given Assassin's Creed/Far Cry game does the same thing and gives me a overall much smaller amount of things to collect or blow up all the excitement just leaves my expression?"

I miss when Ubisoft was good :/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the proportion depends on if you count the Magical Sword from the original Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link as the Master Sword under a different name. If that's the case (it's hard to say for sure, but the whole 'used to kill Ganon' thing suggests it is) then by my count, 'with Master Sword' is bigger by quite a bit.

The ones that don't have it are Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Four Swords, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Tri-Force Heroes, so seven. The ones that definitely do are Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages*, Twilight Princess, A Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, so nine.

*technically only one of the Oracle games has the Master Sword, but since it can be either I'm counting both.

The Magical Sword could sway it into being a draw if it doesn't count, but if we exclude those games for uncertainty reasons, or call the Magical Sword the Master Sword, then 'with Master Sword' wins. If we include Hyrule Warriors, though, then 'with Master Sword' will always win.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Lone Badger posted:

I wish they had kept the ability to change what your armor looks like, for exactly this reason. Level 1 Raven gear looks cool, but level 3 is just too much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Creature in the Well is a fun game but why are they calling it pinball when it's clearly breakout?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is dragging down most PS4 games I own right now, and that's the size of the hard drive mine has and every game with updates and occasionally DLC being Big Huge. God forbid I want to play something that lost the last round of Musical Files, because then I have to do that again and wait for things to redownload.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Captain Hygiene posted:

AC Odyssey bugs me in this respect even though it's sort of a side case because of the sheer number of armor items. You find a badass helmet that looks way better than anything else, but because there's just a constant stream of other helmets pouring in, it feels useless to try and keep up with upgrades, and give up on style.

I was incredibly annoyed that changing the visuals of a piece of equipment in Odyssey was tied to a piece of equipment instead of the equipment slot. Every time I changed some equipment for stat boosts, I had to fiddle with that godawful menu. At some point around halfway through the game I just gave up and walked around in a clown suit of visually mismatched gear.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

In Daemon X Machina, you can purchase cybernetic implants for your character that actually reflect on their model, i.e. buying cybernetic eyes cause their eyes to glow. Now, I only played the demo, so I don't know for certain how bad it gets, but even the eye thing kinda made me wary.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Catpain Slack posted:

I was incredibly annoyed that changing the visuals of a piece of equipment in Odyssey was tied to a piece of equipment instead of the equipment slot. Every time I changed some equipment for stat boosts, I had to fiddle with that godawful menu. At some point around halfway through the game I just gave up and walked around in a clown suit of visually mismatched gear.

Another thing about Odyssey that dragged it down was the constant need to break down stuff you didn't use, and the lack of any "break down all unequipped X" UI elements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

serefin99 posted:

In Daemon X Machina, you can purchase cybernetic implants for your character that actually reflect on their model, i.e. buying cybernetic eyes cause their eyes to glow. Now, I only played the demo, so I don't know for certain how bad it gets, but even the eye thing kinda made me wary.

It goes all the way to robo legs and limbs. Its, sadly, a very half-baked system outside of the transhumanism body modding being visually represented. Rest of the game isn't great either.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

JackSplater posted:

Ghost Mode taught me a lot of things about that game I'd never have figured out on my own. Most of the weapons and equipment are meant to be used in specific situations instead of as a primary. Use a sniper to pick off enemies at range at a base, then close in, change weapons at the first ammo box you find, and AR/SMG/Shotgun clear the rest / the path to your objective. Flashbangs are great for building clearing. Rifle grenades are the be all end all vehicle destroyers (with one notable exception). Assault rifles are a decent general purpose weapon, but there's enough ammo boxes around that usually it's easy to switch to a weapon better suited to what you're currently doing.

It also taught me that a) playing solo is way easier since sync shot is incredibly overpowered, b) if you're not in stealth you're dead, and c) the game is very buggy. Did you know if you're in combat in a mission, go down, get revived, and then fail the mission, when it reloads the last checkpoint the game thinks you've already gone down in that fight, so going down again is an instant game over?

That's exactly what I "get" from Ghost mode, but I feel like it does the opposite, practically. In normal mode, I'll pretty often rock a shotgun or SMG if I know I'm heading into a mostly indoors area because I can take a rifle as well in case I get spotted by a sniper, plus if I miscalculate and need a completely different loadout I can hide somewhere and change it (which, I admit, is kind of silly that you can do that anywhere...), plus if I get everything wrong and I get killed, no biggie, I'll try again.

In Ghost mode, I hesitate to bring a sniper rifle to clear a base from afar because if get spotted and rushed, I don't have much to defend myself with, I can't switch up my weapon without a weapon case, and if I die in the game, I die for real.

It could definitely work, but an assault rifle with a decent scope is so versatile it's hard to justify bringing anything else.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

bony tony posted:

Another thing about Odyssey that dragged it down was the constant need to break down stuff you didn't use, and the lack of any "break down all unequipped X" UI elements.

Not that it really matters for your complaint but I always sold everything and just bought all the crafting ingredients from the vendor. It feels like you get more out of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah the weapons/armor you just sell for gold whenever you get into town because ramming a ship gets you like 500x wood a pop.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Wildlands, it also had a really weird take on damage/spotting indicators. Now, in most shooters, the damage indicators are displayed relative to the direction you're currently facing, like a compass: If the indicator is at the top, the damage is coming from the front, if it's at 3 o'clock, it's coming from 90 degrees to your right, and so on.

But in Wildlands, the indicators are relative to your point of aim. So if the indicator is at the bottom, it means the source of the damage/spotting is below your point of aim, not behind you. At first glance, that makes a certain amount of sense: Just move your aim towards the indicator, and eventually you'll end up aiming at the source of your trouble. But the problem is that it also gives you less information than the other system if the source is to your side. When the indicator is to the right, it doesn't tell you whether the source is 10, 90, or 179 degrees to your right.

It's not a particularly big issue, but it's just a baffling decision. Quite literally every other shooter I've ever played that had damage indicators used the first system. It just seems to be doing things differently for the sake of doing them differently. But Wildland's system isn't even any better, either. It gives you a little more precision when the source is already within your field of view, in exchange for giving you much less precision when it is outside your field of view. Trouble is, you don't really need more precision for things inside your FoV, on account of you're already looking at them.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

ulex minor posted:

I did enjoy collecting all the cards in the Witcher...

This reminded me of collecting cigarette cards in RDR 2. Every time I picked one up it seemed to be the start of a whole new set! I swear I never found more than two of a kind. Most unsatisfying.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CordlessPen posted:

That's exactly what I "get" from Ghost mode, but I feel like it does the opposite, practically. In normal mode, I'll pretty often rock a shotgun or SMG if I know I'm heading into a mostly indoors area because I can take a rifle as well in case I get spotted by a sniper, plus if I miscalculate and need a completely different loadout I can hide somewhere and change it (which, I admit, is kind of silly that you can do that anywhere...), plus if I get everything wrong and I get killed, no biggie, I'll try again.

In Ghost mode, I hesitate to bring a sniper rifle to clear a base from afar because if get spotted and rushed, I don't have much to defend myself with, I can't switch up my weapon without a weapon case, and if I die in the game, I die for real.

It could definitely work, but an assault rifle with a decent scope is so versatile it's hard to justify bringing anything else.

That all ties into one of my points: If you're not in stealth, you're dead.

Stealth means you aren't getting shot at, and you get a massive damage boost. And you're in stealth as long as the detection arc thing never fully fills up. Hunted isn't detected. The AI is pretty dumb, but it's not stupid. If you shoot someone in LOS of someone else they'll go on alert, but you're not actually detected, and they will eventually charge you with 4-6 people. So if that happens, you just drop a proxy mine and relocate and continue. A lot of sniper spots are fairly close to ammo boxes too (around 90% of bases have two or three obvious sniper overlooks around them - cliffs, hills, a random sniper tower nearby). And even the starting pistol can make short work of anything but a Unidad heavy trooper as long as you're in stealth.

Like I said, assault rifles are good all-purpose weapons, but they're usually not the best option for a situation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fuckin' AC Valhalla, you can change your difficulty at any time except not after starting a surprise boss fight I was not prepared for and is too tedious to want to bother with at this difficulty. And somehow my last five saves are all at the fight's start so I have to go back and redo the mission before it just to bump it down. Sigh.

e: I'm back to being entertained again by the arrows enemies are hit with being persistent. Just standing there giving his mid-battle monologue with an arrow sticking straight out of the top of his head thanks to my lucky shot, lol.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Nov 28, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With assassin's Creed collectibles I didn't mind the feathers in 2 because they gave some kind of plot thing - getting all of them gave Ezio's mother closure after the loss of her youngest son. The flags in 1 were completely pointless but the feathers at least had SOME kind of reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Iirc the flags were literally added in right near the end because the testers wanted more to do, which explains how useless they seem.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

BioEnchanted posted:

With assassin's Creed collectibles I didn't mind the feathers in 2 because they gave some kind of plot thing - getting all of them gave Ezio's mother closure after the loss of her youngest son. The flags in 1 were completely pointless but the feathers at least had SOME kind of reason.

The feathers are one of the very few collectibles I ever completely collected, though I went all the way . It was a mixture of the emotional closure because that game really resonated with me, and running around those cities back in the day was just really fun.

When my family visited Venice a year later I was able to navigate to some extent - but that’s probably something for the other thread.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

moosecow333 posted:

When my family visited Venice a year later I was able to navigate to some extent - but that’s probably something for the other thread.

man I got some intense tetris effect on that bridge to the vatican that's swarming with guards in ac: brotherhood

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ruffian Price posted:

man I got some intense tetris effect on that bridge to the vatican that's swarming with guards in ac: brotherhood

You didn't stab anyone in real life did you?

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
AC Odyssey

You can't control the speed of your horse - you go fast in the countryside and slow in cities. So if you want to outrun an aggressor and happen to hit the city limits, you immediately slow down and give them the chance to catch up. Also works great if you want to avoid fighting the civilians who will randomly join fights in the city and add to your bounty if you kill them, but can also keep up with your horse on foot since you can't speed up.

Also, you can't light a brazier with a torch without swinging wildly at it like it's an enemy. Finesse, misthios!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you stand in front of the brazier for a bit Kassandra will hold her torch to it automatically, but it's not intuitive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I looked up the horse speed out of frustration and saw some discussion that it may be to help with loading in busier areas aka towns. Still annoying, especially with how it makes for a hassle with NPCs, but I feel a bit more charitable if it's a tech limitation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morpheus posted:

You seem to be confusing what I'm saying.

In normal open-world games, getting collectibles is boring as poo poo. You mark a waypoint, walk to the waypoint, get the shiny thing. It doesn't matter what the collectible is, because you may as well be purchasing it from the store. There's no purpose to the 'open' part of the world except for busywork. And no, they're not better than what you find in BotW, because I have played a shitload of open world games and I can tell you that I can barely recall the reward for any of them. A 10-second audio clip for getting hundreds of riddler trophies. Some useless rewards that are simple trash to be broken down for clearing a monster den. I can't even tell you what the reward for a single thing is in the Farcry games despite doing them - probably gold plating for your gun.

In BotW, at least finding the thing is fun. Noticing something 'off' and investigating, to be rewarded for your efforts is better than the reward itself. I'd look for koroks even without the seeds. Similarly, finding shrines off the beaten path, buried behind rubble or in an underground maze, is really cool. The reward is some more health/stamina, which means an easier time exploring, which is even better.

You are also conveniently forgetting about finding armor sets and fairy shrines, or new quests or the loving Master Sword which I didn't even realize was in the game because I didn't explore its area.

Yeah, BOTW is good because they tuned the attention/engagement aspect really well. You're rewarded for noticing something is off, doing a little thing, and finding the secret. Like these three statues are holding an apple, the fourth one isn't, if you notice that on your own and put an apple in you get the seed. You went out of your way to notice it, do a few seconds of puzzling, done. The reward is engaging your brain even in this simple way. It'd be much less rewarding if there was a Korok Seed map marker on the statues and you go there knowing something is off and looking for the Korok seed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Okami had a good take on this; the collectables can be reviewed in a numbered list, so that whatever guide material you decide to use can specify the locations/how to get them by number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

LordSaturn posted:

Okami had a good take on this; the collectables can be reviewed in a numbered list, so that whatever guide material you decide to use can specify the locations/how to get them by number

I always like when games do that kind of thing. Especially when there are hints, like the strawberries in Celeste show you which ones you've already got, which ones you're missing and which ones you've JUST collected like this:

|00000-0|0000*--0|000
so you can see you're missing the second to last one in the first area, that you've just collected the 5th in area 2 and that there are two more to look out for, and that area 3 is complete.

Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice has a similar thing with the wheel that appears when you collect a rune/myth story piece collectible - a large circle subdivided into segments with varying runes written in it, and from top going clockwise it shows how many of them are in each area with each of them lighting up as you grab them, with solid lines separating each segment so you know those are for a different area.