Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Couldn't agree more, you can argue 1 and Infinite are bad games but they are at least memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I remember Brink

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only thing i remember from 2 is that a friend of mine slammed down hard mode and got real mad it wasn't a walk in the park because "i'm a big daddy, this should be easy"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember not liking 2 at all when it came out, it almost felt like a quick cash in. I remember loving Infinite.
I got the HD pack on PS4 a few years ago. I played 2 again and LOVED it. I thought the gameplay was really good and I liked the story as a comparison to 1. The DLC was also really well written. 1 wasn’t as good as I remembered, it really overstays its welcome.
Infinite is TERRIBLE. Everything about it is awful. I have no idea how I ever thought it was good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sakurazuka posted:

6 is lacking redeeming qualities too.

X6 has tons of problems but it isn’t completely horrible, some of the levels and bosses are decent but overall it’s a bad game. X7 is on another level though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Bioshock 2 is the best one, Bioshock Infinite is one of the worst games ever made

I was surprised how much I liked Bioshock 2 when I replayed it recently. They definitely refined the combat and generally speaking improved on everything from the first game except maybe the story. I guess I don’t love the defend the little sister segments that are too frequent.

I remember liking Bioshock Infinite when it first came out but I haven’t played it since and I get the criticisms of the story which was originally supposed to be critical of the astroturf Tea Party bullshit that popped up in reaction to Obama but ended up being... not that. Also lol at having a gun upgrade system in a game where you can only hold two guns at a time. And the developers kept saying that Vigors wouldn’t be exactly the same as Plasmids but they ended up being exactly the same as Plasmids lol

Edit: Bioshock is still a good game, you clowns.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 27, 2020

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So one of the games I've always wanted to play was the super robot wars series and today I found out these are on the switch but had Japanese/Asia only physical releases. They all seem to have English text available (i guess because Australia?) so language barriers don't seem to be an issue, but would have any other problems? Like it not downloading updates or something because im in the US?

Also is this site a good place to order them from? And imported games in general?

https://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-multi-language/13/70cwcr?ref=otherbuyers

Also there seems to be three of them that seem (based on the limited information i've gathered in the last 10 or so minutes) that they mostly differ in which series are featured? Or are there other differences?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Numlock posted:

So one of the games I've always wanted to play was the super robot wars series and today I found out these are on the switch but had Japanese/Asia only physical releases. They all seem to have English text available (i guess because Australia?) so language barriers don't seem to be an issue, but would have any other problems? Like it not downloading updates or something because im in the US?

Also is this site a good place to order them from? And imported games in general?

https://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-multi-language/13/70cwcr?ref=otherbuyers

Also there seems to be three of them that seem (based on the limited information i've gathered in the last 10 or so minutes) that they mostly differ in which series are featured? Or are there other differences?

Come on over to the SRW thread and we’ll help you there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875338

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

X6 has tons of problems but it isn’t completely horrible, some of the levels and bosses are decent but overall it’s a bad game. X7 is on another level though.

I was surprised how much I liked Bioshock 2 when I replayed it recently. They definitely refined the combat and generally speaking improved on everything from the first game except maybe the story. I guess I don’t love the defend the little sister segments that are too frequent.

I remember liking Bioshock Infinite when it first came out but I haven’t played it since and I get the criticisms of the story which was originally supposed to be critical of the astroturf Tea Party bullshit that popped up in reaction to Obama but ended up being... not that. Also lol at having a gun upgrade system in a game where you can only hold two guns at a time. And the developers kept saying that Vigors wouldn’t be exactly the same as Plasmids but they ended up being exactly the same as Plasmids lol

Edit: Bioshock is still a good game, you clowns.

Bioshock infinite wasn't a good game but most of the story criticism was from chuds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:confused:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Infinite's ending where they pull the concept out and reveal the multiverse rocks but the political see-sawing before that is embarrassing.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Martman posted:

IMO the game still requires some commitment to googling stuff to find a lot of the really good stuff, and that "going outside the game" thing seems to turn off some players. You can find some really cool things with like 5-10 minutes of googling though, it's really not some terrible process.

One of the best ways to approach it for me is to specifically look up well-liked creators rather than individual levels and then you can "follow" them in-game. There are some absurdly talented people who have made insane amounts of content, and playing through all of someone's levels is a really cool way to see how their level design ideas progress and stuff.

Oh and, rather than insane kaizo levels the scourge of MM2 has become "refreshing levels" that just have you stomping through some absurd chaotic mess of lights and sounds that makes for some kind of creepy ASMR experience or something.

lol alright im in. for uhh 'scientific' purposes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bioshock 3 owns

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s not even fun to play, the shooting is absolute shite. It also has a bizarrely cowardly centrist view on things.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Sry if this has been asked a ton, but I keep up with this thread and it moves quickly, etc. but the current sale in North America seems like it has a bunch of good stuff, I finally bought Hades and I’m weirdly enjoying it. I also bought The Talos Principle again cause i don’t think I’ll ever finish it on PS4 cause I prefer puzzle games like this for Switch, and then I bought the original Doom (never played it before!! But I like Doom 64 on Switch) and Felix the Reaper, cause it’s 2 bucks.

I like whatever Super Monkey Ball games I played on GameCube, but I’ve heard mixed things about Banana Blitz HD, but I forgot what the deal was exactly. Also heard good things about Travis Strikes Again, but I don’t know much about it, or No More Heroes but they look cool. Same with Wonderful 101.

Is Superliminal good? Or Wandersong?

Is Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 worth playing for someone who’s never played either of those games?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s not even fun to play, the shooting is absolute shite. It also has a bizarrely cowardly centrist view on things.

i agree with this take on the bioshock games, the fps mechanics always felt kinda compromised and clunky to me and i came pretty late so the story was preeeeettty hyped by the time i played it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sakurazuka posted:

Bioshock 2 is the best one, Bioshock Infinite is one of the worst games ever made

I prefer 1 to 2 but 2 has better gameplay. Infinite is so bad I want to start a playthrough to remember how terrible it is. lovely gunplay. Terrible story. Goodish music.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Celexi posted:

Bioshock infinite wasn't a good game but most of the story criticism was from chuds.

Why would chuds hate the game that makes black people blood thirsty savages.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Infinite should've gone with the multiverse/timeline shenanigans from the start instead of the "What if 1850s but Too Much?" horseshit.

The time-displaced pop music was pretty rad though, not gonna lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQheaCpjH0I

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What I liked about 2 is how it had very balanced difficulty that made me engage with mechanics I'd usually ignore. I think I gave every ability a fair shake. The wave battles were quite good. The story was fine for a B-plot not reaching too high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

snoremac posted:

What I liked about 2 is how it had very balanced difficulty that made me engage with mechanics I'd usually ignore. I think I gave every ability a fair shake. The wave battles were quite good. The story was fine for a B-plot not reaching too high.

The story just seemed wholly unnecessary. In B1 you destroyed the whole ADAM/Little Sisters/Big Daddy economy and everyone who wasn’t an unredeemable piece of trash escaped. Then in B2 oh whoops lets just start the Little Sisters back up again and bring some of the characters from B1 back for reasons that didn’t really hold up. They would have done better to stop with the first or set B2 in the early days of the Splicer wars.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

ineptmule posted:

I've been playing Star Renegades, which I'm really enjoying. Reminds me of Darkest Dungeon but much less of a miserable experience to play through.

Ok so I'm now hitting game breaking crashes and turns out this is a known issue with the port, so I guess buyer beware until it is patched. :(

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone playing the new Mario crossover gacha game?

https://mobile.twitter.com/han_tani/status/1331710373683032064

https://twitter.com/Mevans2703/status/1331340679210016775?s=20

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a lot to take in about this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how everyone talks except for Pikachu.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm the immensely hosed-up Waluigi voice that no human being has ever imagined Waluigi having.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your friend is waiting for you in the garage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mega64 posted:

I like how everyone talks except for Pikachu.

You love bored rosalina?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Midjack posted:

The story just seemed wholly unnecessary. In B1 you destroyed the whole ADAM/Little Sisters/Big Daddy economy and everyone who wasn’t an unredeemable piece of trash escaped. Then in B2 oh whoops lets just start the Little Sisters back up again and bring some of the characters from B1 back for reasons that didn’t really hold up. They would have done better to stop with the first or set B2 in the early days of the Splicer wars.

B2 should have just been Minerva's Den, but extended out a bit. Or not extended whatever. It was a better story. Great twist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CharlestheHammer posted:

You love bored rosalina?

i stan her

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

B2 should have just been Minerva's Den, but extended out a bit. Or not extended whatever. It was a better story. Great twist.

I actually never did the DLC for either game but I’ll take your word for it.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

B2 is the most fun to play and therefore the best, story retconning doesn’t really take anything away from it imo. The first one was pretty good too but Infinite was a bore to play with some pretty gross plot points.

I remember playing Infinite on PC when it came out and just not getting the hype compared to the first two.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Xalidur posted:

They renamed Duff McWhalen?!?!

HOLD ON DID THEY REALLY DO THAT

WTF

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Midjack posted:

I actually never did the DLC for either game but I’ll take your word for it.

Imagine if a twist like B1's (same impact but completely different theme, I mean), but without another 3-4 hours tacked on afterwards, but instead it just ends.

S'pretty good.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Hollow Knight is only 7.50 on Amazon!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Midjack posted:

You might be right and I remember having issues with the plot when I played but I just dig listening to the mad scientists preach and fight and be petty over their ideals.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Imagine if a twist like B1's (same impact but completely different theme, I mean), but without another 3-4 hours tacked on afterwards, but instead it just ends.

S'pretty good.

Minerva’s Den was better than the entirety of Bioshock 2, yeah. It gave me the same feeling as the big reveal in Bioshock. Really incredible bit of storytelling.

I never played the Infinite DLC, was it bad? I think I heard it was bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Infinite DLC is what took Infinite from okay to the worst video game I've ever played in my life.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The biggest reason to pick up the Bioshock Collection is that all three Bioshock games have stellar production design and environmental design. Rapture is one of the most iconic video game settings and even Infinite (which is bad, don’t play it) has Columbia as one of its high points. The writing has always been really good at the concept level but with the exception of Minerva’s Den (which is a predecessor to Gone Home, as in literally the next thing most of those people, including the director, made was Gone Home) the execution is lacking. That said, Andrew Ryan is still one of the all time great game villains and his introduction is so well written that I forget that his “Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?” speech is not actually a quote from Ayn Rand.

Edit:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Can't argue with this but also I'm having trouble thinking of any AAA game with a clear political position that this doesn't apply to

noted leftist media the Pikmin games have stories that are all about capital taking advantage of labor and the gameplay is a testament to the power of collective action, truly the wokest game

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 27, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It also has a bizarrely cowardly centrist view on things.

Can't argue with this but also I'm having trouble thinking of any AAA game with a clear political position that this doesn't apply to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Wolfenstein?