Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If anyone's whites look dull and display looks yellow/dimmed compared to another unit, try disabling Auto-Brightness (it's the only major display setting kinda tucked away in General -> Accessibility -> Display & Text Size.)

I noticed my roommate's 12 Mini looked more vibrant and less warm than mine with identical display settings... except Auto-Brightness! After turning that off, mine actually looked better, but I'd rather keep it on for the functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm saying if it's the world's shittiest case it'll catch fire somehow. Not sure this has ever happened but reading the Q&A for rando manufacturers and poor reviews you'd think one had at some point.

"At hostpitat, lost fingat" is an old goon reference about some idiot who blew up his hand with a firecracker or something.
Ahh ok. Yeah batteries can be unsafe and become anything from smoldering fires to little explosions if poo poo goes wrong. Difference between good and bad can be the battery quality itself to the construction and Q&A of everything around it.

Laserface posted:

This is such an annoying part of the way bluetooth and siri work because the one thing the phones mic array is excellent at is picking a voice out of a noisy environment like a car in motion. combined with the delay between 'hey siri' or the push to talk button on the wheel and the 'ding' prompt that Siri is listening makes the single best place to use handsfree voice controls a complete and utter disaster to actually use.

I even have an after market head unit (non car play.) maybe if I disconnect the microphone from the head unit it will force the phone mics instead?
Oh yeah that might work, I gotta see if I can disable the phone part of my car’s Bluetooth implementation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

literally on the iphone XR page about to order and it goes down? anyone else getting the same? i'm in australia so it could just be localised here...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Holy moly I’ve been looking for an option to choose what plays next in Overcast (on the fly, without having to gently caress around with Playlists) for literal years.
For anyone else as dumb as me, expand the podcast item, click on the "+≡" button, and then Play Next is an option.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 26, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m at least as dumb as you, because I’ve wanted that for years as well. Game changer. In front of our eyes all along.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Even with that feature I switched back to Pocket Casts after years of Overcast use because their queue system is just so good. Syncs between devices, easily reorder-able, easily add something to the top or the bottom of it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

101 posted:

Even with that feature I switched back to Pocket Casts after years of Overcast use because their queue system is just so good. Syncs between devices, easily reorder-able, easily add something to the top or the bottom of it.

Also Pocket Casts added streaming to the Apple Watch which rules.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I spoke to Apple Support about my extremely slow-shipping phone again and after the guy initially got very confused about what I was asking about and I had to actually type the words "I'm not waiting on a package from you, you're waiting on a package from me" (none of you seem to understand...) he eventually said that apparently they're not doing 10-day repair ticket cancellations right now anyway on account of the roni. That would've been a nice thing to tell me on the initial email, Apple!

In the meantime I'm trying to call up Royal Mail and find out what the gently caress. Three entire working days after shipping via a notional 24 hour business return service and it's still in the post office I handed it in in. The queue time on hold is 60 minutes.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Question Mark Mound posted:

Less an iPhone question and more a general iCloud question, but didn't icloud.com previously have a version of Reminders that let you edit dates, delete lists, etc.? I could've sworn that I used to be able to have a tab open on my PC and use most of the functionality of the app there rather than the pretty useless half-baked thing that's currently there.

Even after my previous thing of deleting 10,000 old reminders, it's gone back to working poorly. After logging in to icloud.com it seems like there's at least one list that doesn't show up on my devices that is somehow hovering around - and after unsyncing and resyncing my iPhone to iCloud reminders, there was another half dozen old lists (that weren't on icloud.com) that showed up.

Apple's live support chat doesn't seem to exist anymore, but I'll have to see if they can just absolutely nuke everything to do with Reminders for me to see if I can start fresh. It's been awful since iOS 13.

e : doh. Misread.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fedule posted:

I spoke to Apple Support about my extremely slow-shipping phone again and after the guy initially got very confused about what I was asking about and I had to actually type the words "I'm not waiting on a package from you, you're waiting on a package from me" (none of you seem to understand...) he eventually said that apparently they're not doing 10-day repair ticket cancellations right now anyway on account of the roni. That would've been a nice thing to tell me on the initial email, Apple!

In the meantime I'm trying to call up Royal Mail and find out what the gently caress. Three entire working days after shipping via a notional 24 hour business return service and it's still in the post office I handed it in in. The queue time on hold is 60 minutes.

Yeah dude the world is having a pandemic holiday season at the moment and every carrier is hosed Up.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

101 posted:

Pocket Casts was good when I used it on Android, and it's good on iOS. :toot:

The grandfathered lifetime plan certainly cemented its status as my favorite podcast app.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

literally on the iphone XR page about to order and it goes down? anyone else getting the same? i'm in australia so it could just be localised here...

turns out the store was down because they were bringing in a AUD$70 gift card. So my XR is arriving today and I got a $70 voucher for Apple. What's the best use of this? I doubt the iPhone cases they sell for $45 - $70 are it? Wireless charger?

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 26, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If anyone’s looking for a kid phone for Christmas, ATT has the XS for $1/month for 30 months or the 11 for $10/month for 30 months. No trade in needed, must be on unlimited.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

turns out the store was down because they were bringing in a AUD$70 gift card. So my XR is arriving today and I got a $70 voucher for Apple. What's the best use of this? I doubt the iPhone cases they sell for $45 - $70 are it? Wireless charger?

Can you use it for an iTunes gift card to pay for xx amount of months of iCloud and Apple Music ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Refurb Beats X for $19

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...1be04940a1c0e12

That’s a steal IMO.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Out of the blue my 12pro sounds like absolute rear end when playing Spotify via usb cable to CarPlay. Bluetooth sounds normal. I noticed a red mic icon was on so I dug thru all settings and disabled any Siri - Spotify stuff I could find, rebooted/reseated the cable with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? It’s driving me insane :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nuts and Gum posted:

Out of the blue my 12pro sounds like absolute rear end when playing Spotify via usb cable to CarPlay. Bluetooth sounds normal. I noticed a red mic icon was on so I dug thru all settings and disabled any Siri - Spotify stuff I could find, rebooted/reseated the cable with no luck.

Try a different cable -- sometimes they're troublesome with Carplay.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

MarcusSA posted:

Refurb Beats X for $19

drat, took a nap for an hour and missed this. Thanks for posting it though!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fly Ricky posted:

drat, took a nap for an hour and missed this. Thanks for posting it though!

If it makes you feel better I clicked the link out of curiosity maybe 30 minutes after it was posted, and it was sold out then too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it makes you feel better I clicked the link out of curiosity maybe 30 minutes after it was posted, and it was sold out then too.

They are $39.99 new at Best Buy right now, which is not terrible for something with a W1 chip

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

They are $39.99 new at Best Buy right now, which is not terrible for something with a W1 chip

Yeah this is also a good price.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

EL BROMANCE posted:

It actually does, thanks.

Played around with the 12 Pro Max today and really pleased I went with the 12 Pro now. drat that’s one helluva big phone. Side-by-side it doesn’t seem that different, but in my hands it was nearly unusable. To each his own.

Maneki Neko posted:

Thanks for this! These AirPods are too small for ears and I’ve been yearning to get back to Beats.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

If you bring Control Center down while the red mic icon is on (or recently on) it'll show what app was using it. If it happens again that might help track down what's happening.

Or maybe Spotify was having some connection issues that coincidentally cleared up when you tried Bluetooth :v: (to eliminate that possibility you can force higher quality somewhere in the settings)

Maneki Neko posted:

Any reason to get Beats X over the new ones? (Other than the extra :10bux:)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
iPhone 12 Mini update: Am I the only one who thinks the display is a tad too narrow? I came from the 6S btw. I know that the display in total is bigger, and I will hopefully get used to it, but after a few days of using it it just feel a bit cramped.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Fwiw I just noticed this going from 8 to 12Pro. I think it’s because the screen is longer with no top and bottom bezel so gives the effect of looking narrower.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xabi posted:

iPhone 12 Mini update: Am I the only one who thinks the display is a tad too narrow? I came from the 6S btw. I know that the display in total is bigger, and I will hopefully get used to it, but after a few days of using it it just feel a bit cramped.

I think it's perfect except for the thing that poster pointed out that really messed me up (the stuff in the 'ears' of the screen don't seem to fit and seem to have been shoved down a bit to fit the information instead of being vertically aligned).

I don't know if this is a problem on the other phones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As far as I could tell, holding the phones next to each other, the 12 mini and the old home button phones are almost identical in screen width.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My wife is so happy with her mini, she was almost emotional. She has missed having a smallphone. One really cool thing I didn’t know about was Apple’s delivery. Ordered the phone through the Apple Store app and a courier dropped it off at our house less than 2 hours later.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I ended up going with the regular 12. Hopefully I don't regret it. It's barely bigger than my SE so who knows. I think I can theoretically pick it up today but I'm not sure if I want to dick with it due to the whole black friday thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jokes posted:

I think it's perfect except for the thing that poster pointed out that really messed me up (the stuff in the 'ears' of the screen don't seem to fit and seem to have been shoved down a bit to fit the information instead of being vertically aligned).

I don't know if this is a problem on the other phones.
Already posted earlier, but from what I could tell looking at other phones they’re all baseline aligned with the notch, but the spacing on the mini is cramped and loses the horizontal spacing of the others.

For more space, make sure you’re on the non zoomed view, and you can lower text size if your eyes won’t hate you for it :v:. I think software wise it’s the same virtual resolution (in points) as the X/Pro 5.8" phones, although I’m not sure how that compares to the 4.7" screens width wise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there a recommended app for streaming 3D videos on a Google Cardboard or similar headset from a shared folder on my Windows desktop? Every VR app I try is garbage.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 28, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

japtor posted:

Any reason to get Beats X over the new ones? (Other than the extra :10bux:)

I’ve had three pair of BeatsX die on me within 7 months each from either bad cables or chips. Worth it for $20 I guess but I have no complaints at all about the Powerbeats Pro aside from the giant chunky case

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but I just saw the news about Google Photos no longer being free unlimited storage after some date in 2021 :-( Looks like the next best Cheap Good Photo Storage is gonna be Flickr Pro, so I'll pull the trigger once that date hits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have Amazon Prime, their Photos service is about equivalent to what Google does.

Flickr is not really all that great for mass scale photo backup, searching your stuff or getting it out of their system is not super fun.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It would not surprise me if Amazon follows suit. If so, I will have to transfer 10+ years of photos onto my external hard drive. YEAH!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I lost my airpods pro but they always fell out of my ears no matter the size or insert. I also tried the hacks and put some bandaid on them to help but are there better alternatives for people like me? I like the Bose ones with the outer ear rubber fitting thing, they work for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was inevitable, eventually they were going to realize that disk space is loving expensive and cameras are only going to be producing bigger and bigger files. It was a good technique to lure in users though!

(alternative punchline: our photostreams have trained their AI sufficiently that they don't need us anymore)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

I lost my airpods pro but they always fell out of my ears no matter the size or insert. I also tried the hacks and put some bandaid on them to help but are there better alternatives for people like me? I like the Bose ones with the outer ear rubber fitting thing, they work for me.

Powerbeats Pro. My AirPods (non pro) always fell out of my ears. Powerbeats are rock solid. They’re also heavily discounted for Black Friday weekend if you look around.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It would not surprise me if Amazon follows suit. If so, I will have to transfer 10+ years of photos onto my external hard drive. YEAH!

How much storage are you actually using? If it's <100GB then none of the paid options are particularly expensive, if it's more than that then look at Office 365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Is there actually a way to get Siri to add multiple items (on separate lines) to a shopping list or is the internet just lying? I’ve tried “Add X, Y, and Z”, “Add X and Y and Z”, and even “Add X, new line, Y, new line, Z” and each one just got put on a single line. Googling says this should be possible but I can’t make it work (language is UK English).