Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Can't argue with this but also I'm having trouble thinking of any AAA game with a clear political position that this doesn't apply to

Nier Automata lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Celexi posted:

Bioshock infinite wasn't a good game but most of the story criticism was from chuds.

only chuds complained about the game that both-sides’d slavery :hmmyes:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Fair point about Wolfenstein however

well why not posted:

Nier Automata lmao

I'm going to kick your rear end for implying nihilism is a political position bro.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier Automata is not nihilist

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Kemono Friends Picross is my first Switch Picross and I'm having fun with it but with 98% of puzzles being pixelated faces, I found even the first page of Picross S's puzzles REALLY refreshing, especially because it was nice to be able to guess what I was starting to make.

So even though I haven't finished it (Only halfway through all the main puzzles, done 3 Clip puzzles and no Mega puzzles), I'm gonna push it to the back for another time, because as lovely as all Kemono Friends designs are, when it comes to Picross, they all have same-face, which makes for a not-so-fun slew of puzzles.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
alright ya'll; what's the best VN on the Switch (other than Phoenix Wright, I know that one's the best already)?

gently caress bioshock, all of em

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

alright ya'll; what's the best VN on the Switch (other than Phoenix Wright, I know that one's the best already)?

gently caress bioshock, all of em
Raging Loop or Steins Gate.

If you consider it a VN, its kinda borderline imo, AI Somnium Files

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Can't argue with this but also I'm having trouble thinking of any AAA game with a clear political position that this doesn't apply to

There are approximately 5000 Calls of Duty and that ilk which have an extremely pro-US military intervention political position.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nah, "Nazis are bad" is not actually a particularly controversial position (or shouldn't be). Saying nazis are bad still counts as centrist. It's not wrong, obviously, but it's a very milquetoast opinion. That it's controversial in some places says more about those places than it does the statement that nazis are bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Unreal_One posted:

There are approximately 5000 Calls of Duty and that ilk which have an extremely pro-US military intervention political position.

We can take this to cspam if you want but I'm not sure we have the same definition of centrism if it doesn't encompass us military hegemony

Sorry everyone I'm trying to delete it

Augus posted:

Nier Automata is not nihilist

Way more interested in dragging this post out kicking and screaming and wanting to know if you think nihilism and humanism are mutually exclusive or not. I played it two years after it came out so I missed out on 'the discourse' and desperately crave it

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
CoD is one long series of the ends justifying the means if you're the West, along with projecting America's own warcrimes onto Russia in Modern Warfare, because hey, this is a post-factual world now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nier has a hopeful message, in that building relationships between people can overcome our "programming"

If I were to point to a game series that is Nihilistic, that's CoD multiplayer.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm really mad that you all seem to have a depressing view of what nihilism is because the game spent a lot of time laying the groundwork for a thorough exploration of exactly how nihilism can be uplifting and humanist and why that rules

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Say what you will about the tenets of whatever the gently caress SA's political alignment is this year, at least it's an ethos.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

im not saying it's not nihilistic, im saying that there's a hopeful message in a, yeah, nihilistic story.

CoD multiplayer on the other hand is nihilism at it's worst, sometimes you're terrorists, sometimes you're colonizers, sometimes you're freedom fighters, but everyone does war crime poo poo in every direction and it never ends, just a frantic meaningless nightmare

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

well why not posted:

CoD multiplayer on the other hand is nihilism at it's worst, sometimes you're terrorists, sometimes you're colonizers, sometimes you're freedom fighters, but everyone does war crime poo poo in every direction and it never ends, just a frantic meaningless nightmare

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
is that a quote from Ready Player Two?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reads like it could be Joe Rogan on DMT

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

In 2000 I was perusing a FLGS with some friends, and found this on one of the shelves. A dark satire of the pen & paper RPG genre written by one of the bigger names in that field back then.

Free .pdf download at the bottom of the link.

Be sure to take a close look at page 22-23, and remind yourself that this was written in '98 and published in '99. :911:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 27, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bottom Liner posted:

Except for the end that prose is too good for Ready Player Two.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
BioShock Infinite reviewed well but everytime its brought up people fall over themselves to call it the worst game ever made. Oh well, i always really liked it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sometimes bad games get good reviews and good games get bad reviews. such is life

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinite came out during the forefront of 'games are arrrrtttttt I want to be taken seriously!!' of course it reviewed well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bioshock 3 is a bad game. It looks nice, though. And it has a Beach Boys song in it and a reference to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. But the actual shooty bits are terrible. The story would be cool to a 12 year old.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's hard to sleep knowing Roger Ebert never got to play Bioshock Infinite

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thinking about that time game reviewers tricked themselves into liking the DMC reboot because it had pedestrian satire of Fox News in it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Augus posted:

thinking about that time game reviewers tricked themselves into liking the DMC reboot because it had pedestrian satire of Fox News in it

To be a tiny bit fair, it was the only good (relatively) part of the game

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Bioshock 3 is a bad game. It looks nice, though. And it has a Beach Boys song in it and a reference to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. But the actual shooty bits are terrible. The story would be cool to a 12 year old.

The game itself is a fun passable shooter with creative character build options., the story and writing is absolutely loving garbage and makes South Parks lolbertarianism look like high art.

Plus the whole "ironic racism" where a major point of the games ads was giving you the moral choice to hurl baseballs at black people chained up at a carnival didn't play very well as a result of the huge crowd of gamer chuds who did that to laugh and guffaw over how funny it was.

Read the spoiler for a very basic reason why the story is so bad. It's 100% white writers trying to be introspective about the feelings of minorities who are treated as literal second class citizens/slaves.

The story was a loving disgusting 'truth in the middle' take on a racist white dominated society where there's a uprising for the poc's to escape their essentially slave status and the game has to have a scene where the uprising leader is mocking you while holding some white children hostage and saying they need to kill them to uproot the system and you're supposed to be furiously trying to stop it. It could've been Stormfront propaganda absent the game context as proof of the mythological white genocide arguments

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 27, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well that’s a, uh, choice I guess. Great job, Levine. :thumbsup:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The final battle is against a group of abolitionists and some robot Lincolns. You murder them all, because violent opposition to slavery is equally bad to slavery itself. Ken Levine is a hack.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hated it for old fashioned reasons levine blew so much money on it that he layed off most the team but him and a handful of friends, when it came out and didn't sell like infinity wars

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s insane that people just let it slide that infinite was advertised and hyped up to hell and back as an open world game and then released as a corridor shooter with a two-weapon limit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

el oso posted:

It's hard to sleep knowing Roger Ebert never got to play Bioshock Infinite

He knew when to get out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dishonored Collection when you cowards

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knowing Arkane it’d probably run at a locked 10fps and take two hours to load

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked however much of infinite my flaming claw was an effective weapon for, once I started having to use firearms and now just swing around clawing dudes I stopped having fun

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Augus posted:

it’s insane that people just let it slide that infinite was advertised and hyped up to hell and back as an open world game and then released as a corridor shooter with a two-weapon limit

"open world" for a PC shooter is a pretty broad category. I'd say Deus Ex could be considered open world for all the ways that matter despite having discrete levels to travel to and from. Borderlands was a 'classic' open world game but it was the same mile wide inch deep thing that TES games had.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Which of the Assassin's Creed games on sale are the good ones? I liked AC2 a good bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Which of the Assassin's Creed games on sale are the good ones? I liked AC2 a good bit.

I dunno which ones are on sale but Black Flag and Rogue are good. Steer clear of AC3.