Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale is up. Beastmaster, Action USA, and Fade to Black are all way too loving expensive, so I'll probably pass on this one.

That's how much their new releases always are, they won't get discounted until next year's "Halfway" sale

And Severin's site isn't up yet... at least it isn't crashing I guess!

e: it went up like 2 minutes after I posted

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was five minutes late and missed out on Rad, but all I needed was my Tammy 4K and I'm happy as a clam.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

caligulamprey posted:

I was five minutes late and missed out on Rad, but all I needed was my Tammy 4K and I'm happy as a clam.

I was on right when it went live, had Rad in my cart, but it was gone when I went to checkout less than 2 minutes later. I have a problem not spending money so I picked up a handful blind, including Beastmaster.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

gey muckle mowser posted:

And Severin's site isn't up yet... at least it isn't crashing I guess!

e: it went up like 2 minutes after I posted

Severin is broken for me. Anyone else?

Edit: Works on my phone, but is annoying to navigate on there. Can't get it to work on my laptop.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 27, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m gonna laugh so hard if Severin shits the bed on yet another big sale.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

They seem to be holding steady. I’ve come and gone from the site a few times without a error.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I already have a Martial Law set from Germany with all three movies that looks fine... don't know if I want to buy another set. Otherwise, I picked up Beastmaster, Fade to Black, the second set of Forgotten Gialli, Silent Madness and Don't Panic. Thinking about getting Dolly Dearest and Action USA.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Action USA looks rad as hell

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Region locked UHDs are now a thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well that blows. It's not surprising that it's an anime doing it either. They've always done things to prevent reverse importing since they're usually cheaper in the US than Japan.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

no clue if they'll actually mail it to me for this price, but why not put it in the cart and find out

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1332340367287603212

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1332341379121483783

I’m definitely in for Demons. Arrow killing it with the 4ks

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Brexit the Frog posted:

no clue if they'll actually mail it to me for this price, but why not put it in the cart and find out

They will.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rediscover John Landis’ beloved body horror masterpiece, “behind the scenes on Twilight Zone”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I listen to a lot of dumb, ridiculous offensive poo poo, but The Mentors were legit beyond the pale. GG Allin had more artistic credibility. Might check out the El Duce doc anyway.

EDIT: scratch that, getting the lyrics to "Golden Showers" getting read aloud during the PMRC hearings in the senate is worth something. That was pretty hilarious.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just bought Tenet without seeing it in a theater for $30. At least this way I won’t die by seeing it. Something to look forward to before Wonder Woman on Christmas!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m definitely in for Beyond Re-Animator.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Rediscover John Landis’ beloved body horror masterpiece, “behind the scenes on Twilight Zone”

Holy poo poo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alec Eiffel posted:

https://www.myinstants.com/instant/hiyoooo-91108/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sounds like LOTR 4K is an easy upgrade. They fixed the color grading in Fellowship, fresh 4K negative scans w digital effects upscale from 2K. I’ll still wait for it to drop, but I’ll be doing so eagerly!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im now outside the window of delivery for my Dawn of the Dead UHD from Zavvi. First and last time I'm ever using them. How hard is it to get a tracking notice?!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like the color grading in Fellowship

Although the first time I watched it was one of my earlier BD experiences (late adopter) and I thought I was losing my mind. Like, “drat, HD makes those colors pop. How have I never noticed this?” crazy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

im now outside the window of delivery for my Dawn of the Dead UHD from Zavvi. First and last time I'm ever using them. How hard is it to get a tracking notice?!

Yeah I went ahead and messaged Zavvi support today. Pretty crappy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dorium posted:

Even when you pay for their option with tracking, you don't get a tracking number in the US. No idea if they still have that option but ordered a bunch of 3d blu rays from them in the past and tried that once. After I didn't get a tracking number, I contacted customer service and they told me that. My order was from the US Zavvi site and there was no indication the tracking number was for UK shipments only. Everything I ordered from them came in good condition and around the time window, but I hated the untracked orders every time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Amazon has Arrow's US release of 'Silent Running' for $20, what are the chances the UK release goes on sale for cheaper than that?

To piggy back off of this, they've got Tremors for $42; same question, should I wait for a UK sale or something?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Xenomrph posted:

To piggy back off of this, they've got Tremors for $42; same question, should I wait for a UK sale or something?

I’m planning on buying this day 1 unless that’s Ill advised.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

yoohoo posted:

I’m planning on buying this day 1 unless that’s Ill advised.
Ditto for me, but I'm willing to wait if I can find a better deal. I just got a region-free UHD player so I'm not concerned about getting the UK version.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you want the fancy edition, buy ASAP. If you only care about the UHD, wait for a sale. It’ll be region free so import it direct from Arrow when they have another sale, probably around the late spring/early summer. It should be significantly cheaper.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

If you want the fancy edition, buy ASAP. If you only care about the UHD, wait for a sale. It’ll be region free so import it direct from Arrow when they have another sale, probably around the late spring/early summer. It should be significantly cheaper.
I kind of just want the UHD so I can swap it into my Tremors movie box set. The other stuff is neat, but having multiple copies of the same movie on my shelf without being able to merge them together sets off my OCD.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
My region free Sony X700 arrived. Tested it with Jurassic Park on UHD and a couple region B blu-rays from Arrow. Tonight I’ll probably watch The Shining UHD, which reminds me I need to order the 40th anniversary Jaws UHD.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got Ghost in the Shell 4k really cheap, and Akira 4k is coming out in a month. Can anyone tell me what other classic anime movies are out in 4k or coming out? I've already got Castle of Cagliostro preordered.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got Ghost in the Shell 4k really cheap, and Akira 4k is coming out in a month. Can anyone tell me what other classic anime movies are out in 4k or coming out? I've already got Castle of Cagliostro preordered.

I’ve heard Akira 4K is arguably worse than the Blu-Ray so I would wait for reviews on that one (it’s already out in Japan I think).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Space Adventure Cobra is a stunner in 4K. There’s a sequence in a dance club that is a full on psychedelic trip.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Akira release sounds disappointing. But I love Space Adventure Cobra so I'll definitely have to pick up the 4k release.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard they hosed the transfer because GitS has some Brian Eno song at the end credits instead of the original music?

4k anime is going to be sick, though. Really looking forward to Akira huh.. maybe not :negative:

What's so bad about the 4k?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FilthyImp posted:

What's so bad about the 4k?
This is all from various hyperbolic and nit-picky AV forums so take it with a grain of salt, but the DNR and color grading don’t seem very good. GitS is a release some of the same people complain about but I’ve seen sterling reviews of it too, so who knows.

One thing I’ve gathered from reading about both is that I don’t think the original films are in very good physical condition so there may be limitations on how good they will ever look.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I bought a few VinSyn blus, and I wasn't going to get anything from Severin this year but then they sent me an email saying they're having a DVD clearance. So I bought like 7 super cheap DVDs and... Birdemic on blu ray. I think my mind's been eaten by spruce bark beetles.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I realized today I own a lot of media. I just cleared two blocks of space to make room for more blu-rays and UHD.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

dorium posted:

I realized today I own a lot of media. I just cleared two blocks of space to make room for more blu-rays and UHD.

I have three separate locations in my house to store DVDs and Blu-rays, and I’m going to need to find some more shelves because the reorganization I just did doesn’t include the Battlestar Galactica set I’m almost through.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edward Mass posted:

I have three separate locations in my house to store DVDs and Blu-rays, and I’m going to need to find some more shelves because the reorganization I just did doesn’t include the Battlestar Galactica set I’m almost through.

I already have two locations, and am realizing that I'll need a third. I might just box up a bunch of DVDs into the garage, because when am I going towatch American Pie (my first DVD) again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

I already have two locations, and am realizing that I'll need a third. I might just box up a bunch of DVDs into the garage, because when am I going towatch American Pie (my first DVD) again?

Well now that you’ve brought it to the forefront of your consciousness, the obvious answer is “tonight”.