Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Finished up the plat for Miles Morales tonight, game owns. Started thinking about the proper Spider-Man sequel and how that would work - a Peter/Miles story seems awesome but how would they deal with the skills progression? Then thinking about sequels in general - skill progression is a staple in games but how will they explain Peter/Miles needing to level up so much in their next game? What about Kratos and Aloy? Unlocking skills/moves is a huge driver in most games so how will they get around that?

e: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The same way they get around it in every other game: ignore it and start at the beginning of the skill tree.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do what they did in Arkham Knight and have you start the game with seven hundred gadgets and combos to not use

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Midjack posted:

The same way they get around it in every other game: ignore it and start at the beginning of the skill tree.

Ideally Peter will get evicted again in the first hour and find that the storage unit hes been storing all 50+ costumes and gadgets and such in has been auctioned off to one Mr. G. Goblin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just do it like the Yakuza games where Kiryu goes to prison / takes a normal 9-5 until he's back to normie strength

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just do it like the Yakuza games where Kiryu goes to prison / takes a normal 9-5 until he's back to normie strength

Imagine the sheer balls on the devs if the sequel just opened up with Peter running an orphanage in Okinawa and he doesn't put on the suit or return to NYC for the first five hours of the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do what they did in Arkham Knight and have you start the game with seven hundred gadgets and combos to not use

:negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

el oso posted:

Finished up the plat for Miles Morales tonight, game owns. Started thinking about the proper Spider-Man sequel and how that would work - a Peter/Miles story seems awesome but how would they deal with the skills progression? Then thinking about sequels in general - skill progression is a staple in games but how will they explain Peter/Miles needing to level up so much in their next game? What about Kratos and Aloy? Unlocking skills/moves is a huge driver in most games so how will they get around that?

This is one of those things I have never ever cared about. It's a new game, maybe you'll have to relearn some skills, maybe other stuff will become baseline, the gameplay will be significantly changed either way. I've never really required an explanation why.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is CodeVein any good as an anime SoulsBourne game?

There are worse Soulsborne clones but it's pretty bad. I definitely had something resembling fun with it for about 15 hours before I quit but the level design and overall balance are dire, and it's repetitive as hell. If you don't mind a 90% quality drop from actual souls games and can handle literally hours of anime cutscene nonsense it'll probably be palatable.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Phase 3 seemed impossible until i figured out where to stand

https://twitter.com/fridgecorn/status/1332245354843172865?s=19

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's good fun with the exception of one or two bosses and one particular area (but then every Fromsouls game has at least one dogshit boss and area too so,)

Don't bother with the DLC though it's the equivalent of BB chalices but they aren't even randomized at all, they're just..a small map you gather mats in.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Lol I kept thinking you guys were talking about CrossCode, which is very much not like Dark Souls, it's more like the basic story hook of .hack with the gameplay of a 2D Zelda

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just a heads up for european (I guess the deal is the same for NA) Costco goons.

PlayStation Plus 12 month card for 39.99€

I just did a quick drive and snagged one as it beats GAME and Amazon deals.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's everyone playing this weekend thread?

Gonna make a concise effort to finish Dark Souls 2 myself!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bouncing between FF14 and Trails of Cold Steel 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Only three areas left in AC Valhalla, minus some surprise epilogue I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Valhalla: I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but it's the best AC since Brotherhood or Origins imo. Odyssey felt too much like a fever dream where there was a dumb quest literally every 50 feet and the map was simultaneously far too large and incredibly cramped.

Bugsnax: owns

Yakuza: similar to a reptile

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Finishing 13 Sentinels either today or on the weekend. Just some story bits and five waves to complete! It's real good.

Then...hmm. My partner is playing Valhalla, and I think her motivation to play will subside if I also play it at the same time, so maybe Shadow of War.

Edit: Or I'll go real heavy into Age of Calamity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'll probably finish Yakuza 7 today then I can pick something new to play finally.

Well I did play RE 3 remake but that took like an afternoon so lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Killed bloodletting beast.... ..2 more chalices to go... I feel the Bloodborne platinum is within my grasp....

Also Bugsnax!!!!!!!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well I did play RE 3 remake but that took like an afternoon so lol

I already have a wealth of games to play, but I'm really tempted to pick RE3 up for $15. I dunno, I figure by the time I get around to it though, it'll be that price still or even cheaper. It looks like a fun game to enjoy in an afternoon, is there any replayability at all?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:):):) Dark Souls.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:henget:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BisterdDave posted:

I already have a wealth of games to play, but I'm really tempted to pick RE3 up for $15. I dunno, I figure by the time I get around to it though, it'll be that price still or even cheaper. It looks like a fun game to enjoy in an afternoon, is there any replayability at all?

If you like playing through multiple times on harder difficulties/ to get a better rank yeah, otherwise it's just the Resistance multiplayer and I've no idea how many still play that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I’m attempting to softmod an original Xbox if Splinter Cell arrives today so I can output at HD.

Then I’m gonna play some Fallout 4

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

We've equipped you with a tactical thong, for sneaking

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m playing through Judgment now, I’ve had it for a while and I want to finish it before I go on to something new. How long would you all say it is?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

40-50 hours depending on how much side stuff you do but can go way more than that.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m playing through Judgment now, I’ve had it for a while and I want to finish it before I go on to something new. How long would you all say it is?

I wanna say my final playtime was around 30 hours, and I tried to do as many of the side missions as I could without really going out of my way. It is a bit longer than some of the other Yakuza games, but not that bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My brother wanted a break from MilSim games and he and I and some childhood pals have all started getting really into Sushi Ghost multiplayer. It’s extremely fun and cool, all the game mechanics from Sushi that I love but with cool class based teamwork and fun Diablo 3 style loot. After a few nights of Co-Op story and survival were all at the cusp of Nightmare mode and the Raids.

I’ve only been playing Miles Morales, Bugsnax, and Demon’s Souls a few hours at a time to stretch them out, I’ll likely start my next NuDes character this week as well.

And hopefully I will find enough coins in this goddam boat to buy my fuckin Magnum, RE7!!!!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 27, 2020

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I bought AC Origins after having played Odyssey and hearing that Origins was better. Then I recently read that done if the mechanics in Odyssey were improved over Origins. What might that be describing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

me your dad posted:

I bought AC Origins after having played Odyssey and hearing that Origins was better. Then I recently read that done if the mechanics in Odyssey were improved over Origins. What might that be describing?

The combat in Origins is still recognizable as compared to Odyssey, but it's a bit less mechanically evolved. The skill trees are just all passive nodes, there are no active abilities, there aren't as many weapon types and gear doesn't interact all that meaningfully with the combat. It's still pretty fun though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The combat in Origins is still recognizable as compared to Odyssey, but it's a bit less mechanically evolved. The skill trees are just all passive nodes, there are no active abilities, there aren't as many weapon types and gear doesn't interact all that meaningfully with the combat. It's still pretty fun though.

Thank you. Once I finish Persona 5 Royal I'll move onto this next long haul.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Odyssey is so much better than Origins and I don’t understand how anyone can feel the opposite

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Odyssey is so much better than Origins and I don’t understand how anyone can feel the opposite

Yes, your inability to comprehend that your opinion is not an objective fact is well documented

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whose rereg are you

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whose rereg are you

I've been accused of that like 60 times

My partner is a goon and I've been lurking for a few years

And you guys wonder why you don't get many new members. every single time there's a new person they get immediately judged and jumped on because they "must" be a rereg

At least it's better than when rednecks harass me for being trans, but not by much

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh it's poptart_fairy isn't it.