Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also holy poo poo best episode of the entire show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
TYTHON!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tomtrek posted:

HE DID IT

HE loving DID IT, THE MADMAN

HE PLAYED AHSOKA'S THEME

LUDVIG YOU loving BEAUTFUL MAN

He was teasing it here and there throughout at points when she was in frame, but once it went full on at the end, that hit me hard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the yoda theme

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

TYTHON!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeaaaaaaaaah buddy. I wonder if that implication means we might be getting live-action Aphra too. I'm gonna lose my loving mind.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CelticPredator posted:

I liked the yoda theme

Yeah the little bits of Yoda's theme when she mentions him, that poo poo was great.

Holy loving poo poo, that kicked huge amounts of rear end.

THRAWN!!!!!!!!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

teagone posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaah buddy. I wonder if that implication means we might be getting live-action Aphra too. I'm gonna lose my loving mind.

I spent a lotta time killing fleshraiders on Tython in SWTOR fuuuuuckkkk yesssss

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That to me is what Star Wars is. That episode. It’s perfect.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This show was bumpy first half of season one, ended amazing. Season 2 episode one felt very restart, but the last four are so drat good!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This was a much stronger episode from Filoni too. You knew he took so much care to make Ahsoka's live-action debut right, and yeah, he knocked it out of the loving park.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TYTHON?!
THRAWN?!
STRAIGHT UP KUROSAWA SAMURAI DUEL?!
GROGU?!

I don’t even know where to begin with this episode. The only complaints I can even think of are minor, like how Ahsoka’s headpiece looked like lovely cosplay foam and Michael Biehn apparently won’t be a recurring character, but man. What an episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

This was a much stronger episode from Filoni too. You knew he took so much care to make Ahsoka's live-action debut right, and yeah, he knocked it out of the loving park.

Yeah he did a much better job directing. This was stylish as hell and really unique.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also HK-series assassin droids. And shotgun scatter blaster.

Neat episode.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I would say Dawson was a better Ahsoka than Filoni was a director this episode. He definitely was going for those Kurosawa vibes but the episode still felt... I don't know, lifeless? Not really a fan of how he adapted Ahsoka's fighting style to live-action either.

Still, toe-to-tip, that's an Ahsoka. That's all that matters in the long run, really.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only complaints I can even think of are minor, like how Ahsoka’s headpiece looked like lovely cosplay foam and Michael Biehn apparently won’t be a recurring character, but man. What an episode.

Yeah, I was bummed out about Michael Biehn just being a nameless mook. And yeah minor complaint is that Ahsoka's montrals looked a little stubby compared to how they were in Rebels, but I suppose I can just attribute that to the Rebels aesthetic being more unique overall. Dawson looks straight up like Clone Wars Ahsoka.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Again, the concept art looks just a little bit better than what we get on screen.

I guess Ezra and Thrawn are still lost if Ahsoka has been searching for them for a few years now and is going through former Thrawn associates to get information.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, those lightsabers looked clean as hell. Not a lot of flickering and humming; almost like they had a better power supply or something. I’ve never seen live action lightsabers look so stable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

I would say Dawson was a better Ahsoka than Filoni was a director this episode. He definitely was going for those Kurosawa vibes but the episode still felt... I don't know, lifeless? Not really a fan of how he adapted Ahsoka's fighting style to live-action either.

Still, toe-to-tip, that's an Ahsoka. That's all that matters in the long run, really.

Parts of the duel looked a little stiff but I can’t tell if that was direction, actors not being familiar with sword choreography, or live-action lightsaber duels not usually being Sanjuro-style “fight each other while standing toe to toe” sequences.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like how Ahsoka doesn't swing at least two opportunities to launch into a "WELL ACTUALLY YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD, KEVEN!" tirade in response to being called a Jedi.

She's made her peace with it and that's cool.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
And her voice isn't as big a departure from Ashley Eckstein as I thought it would be. She just sounds like an Older Ashoka, which makes sense.

Also, I adore the way Grogu would look at Mando whenever he said his real name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s baby yoda forever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gonz posted:

Also, those lightsabers looked clean as hell. Not a lot of flickering and humming; almost like they had a better power supply or something. I’ve never seen live action lightsabers look so stable.

IIRC its mentioned in Rebels Recon or some other supplementary material she looted recovered them from some unspecified ancient Jedi temple.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME?!?! THRAWN?!?!

I was literally

at that moment. I was starting to expect at the end Ashoka would contact Sabine at the end or something

The only way that could have been more of a Samurai duel is if it took place in tall grass, they ran at each other, stopped and one of them fell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

And her voice isn't as big a departure from Ashley Eckstein as I thought it would be. She just sounds like an Older Ashoka, which makes sense.

Yeah, Dawson channels the character perfectly. I couldn't be happier with how she translated Ahsoka into live-action.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

As soon as Ahsoka mentioned that the lady villain made ships for the imperial navy I was like “Thrawn...?” and then when she asked the villain lady where her boss was I was like “Thrawn???” and finally she asked where Thrawn was and I said “Thrawn!!! :neckbeard:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC its mentioned in Rebels Recon or some other supplementary material she looted recovered them from some ancient Jedi temple.

They were "blooded" sabers whose crystals emitted red blades originally belonging to an Inquisitor, and she purified them.

[edit] She killed the Inquisitor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I need to watch rebels.

I ain’t gonna read a stinky Star Wars book. I did that already as a kid.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

twistedmentat posted:

I was literally

at that moment. I was starting to expect at the end Ashoka would contact Sabine at the end or something

The only way that could have been more of a Samurai duel is if it took place in tall grass, they ran at each other, stopped and one of them fell.

I leaped off the couch and shouted “OH MY GOD” at the namedrop.

This show is going places, folks. It’s going places. Let Favreau and Filoni do whatever the hell they want with Star Wars for the next decade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

teagone posted:

They were "blooded" sabers whose crystals emitted red blades originally belonging to an Inquisitor, and she purified them.

I am not surprised if I am misremembering, but where does that get mentioned?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s only a matter of time before the fans turn on them.

I guess enjoy it while it lasts lol.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Even if Mando had hosed up the quicktime event with Kylo Reese, all he'd have done is made a cool spark. :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That shotgun was clearly designed for close encounters

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CelticPredator posted:

It’s baby yoda forever.

BaeYo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am not surprised if I am misremembering, but where does that get mentioned?

The 'Ahsoka' novel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was kinda hoping Biehn's fakeout dropping the shotgun and walking away was genuine.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drunkill posted:

Again, the concept art looks just a little bit better than what we get on screen.

I guess Ezra and Thrawn are still lost if Ahsoka has been searching for them for a few years now and is going through former Thrawn associates to get information.

To me this sounds like Thrawn is around and been up to things if Ahsoka is tracking down his associates, so he just might be staying on the DL. Since Sabine is no longer with Ahsoka I wonder if learning Ezra’s fate has been resolved at this point.

I still gotta imagine Sabine will show up at some point, but maybe they’ll save her for next season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

I leaped off the couch and shouted “OH MY GOD” at the namedrop.

This show is going places, folks. It’s going places. Let Favreau and Filoni do whatever the hell they want with Star Wars for the next decade.

I am 100% expecting adult Ezra to show up next season.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ballz posted:

To me this sounds like Thrawn is around and been up to things if Ahsoka is tracking down his associates, so he just might be staying on the DL. Since Sabine is no longer with Ahsoka I wonder if learning Ezra’s fate has been resolved at this point.

I still gotta imagine Sabine will show up at some point, but maybe they’ll save her for next season.

Revealing Sabine and Ezra in the finale as the hook for Season 3 would be pretty dope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, just want to appreciate Ahsoka's getup again. Her samurai/ninja inspired live-action costuming definitely jived well with all the Kurosawa vibes. The aesthetic of this episode owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was no poo poo screaming when ]THRAWN got mentioned.

My cat went flying