Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look at this dummy wearing a collar with his brother cheeto's name on it. why does this make him so happy.

e: don't worry, the info is all old and wrong now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

jimmychoo posted:

what the gently caress kind of good karma did you accrue in a past life

Well she also died at 8 months, so I'm thinking neutral at best.

But if her sister shares the same trait, that would be good (though she's been told she's not allowed to even get ill, let alone think about dying).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Speaking of fuckin cats...

Our litter boxes for our three cats are all in a broom closet with a pet door on it. The cats seem to prefer pawing open the entire door to using the pet door, meaning that it'll often smell in the house because the door is wide open. So I decide to train them to use the pet door flap and put a latch on the outside so they don't keep opening it.

Two of the cats take to it right away and don't seem to mind at all, but the other, Quinn, pees a few times in the house because she apparently doesn't know how to use the pet door (or doesn't like to). Ok, fine, I'll unlatch it for now, but a few times a day I'll put her in the closet and lock it so she's forced to leave using the pet door.

Every time I do this... She hangs out in there. Like she enjoys being in the litterbox closet. She knows how to use the pet door - she always exits eventually, and has even stopped trying to open the main door when I lock her in, but before that... She'll just hang out. I've looked in a few times and she's just sitting there calmly chilling and doesn't even make a move to escape.

She's also the same one that compulsively chews/eats plastic and whose favorite treat in the world is drinking the water in the sliding door track after I take a shower. I dunno man. Fuckin cats.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 27, 2020

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I dunno man. Fuckin cats.
That seems to be the gist of it. I bought one of those RFID implant reading cat flaps last summer and did my research by reading a bunch of customer reviews. There was a bunch of "one of my cats doesn't like this door, the other one loves it" type of information. Cats are weird.
None of mine will tolerate a collar. I've bought a bunch since I'd like them to wear retroreflectors and contact info outdoors but in a day or two at most they are no longer wearing them. I have no idea where they end up, but I've stopped trying since they never stay on.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Any advice on getting a second cat later on? We just moved into our own, larger, place and we've always talked bout adopting another cat once we had the room for it.

I'm a liiiittle hesitant because Katya displays a lot of territorial aggression towards random adult cats she sees outside (outside cats are the norm here) but otoh, in the shelter she was rooming with like 5 other cats and seemed chill about it? We are considering adopting a kitten because it would be less of a threat and Katya is still young and energetic enough to keep up with one. We are also both working from home until who knows when, so it would be easier to care for one.

I'm fully aware they might never hit it off and form fluffy cuddle-piles and I know about the Jackson Galaxy advice for introducing a new cat btw, would all of this be easier with a kitten maybe?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Any advice on getting a second cat later on? We just moved into our own, larger, place and we've always talked bout adopting another cat once we had the room for it.

I'm a liiiittle hesitant because Katya displays a lot of territorial aggression towards random adult cats she sees outside (outside cats are the norm here) but otoh, in the shelter she was rooming with like 5 other cats and seemed chill about it? We are considering adopting a kitten because it would be less of a threat and Katya is still young and energetic enough to keep up with one. We are also both working from home until who knows when, so it would be easier to care for one.

I'm fully aware they might never hit it off and form fluffy cuddle-piles and I know about the Jackson Galaxy advice for introducing a new cat btw, would all of this be easier with a kitten maybe?

Our grumpy old lady often has window fights with the local outdoor cats, but she's actually really tolerant of our new 2 year old cat. He loves her and follows her around all the time, she sometimes has enough and bats him away and they chase each other around a bit. But they also have taken to sleeping right next to each other on the bed/sofa which is super cute!

Honestly I think it depends on the general temperament of the cats and doing the proper introductions, kitten vs young cat might not matter too much. The introduction process is designed to get the cats used to sharing territory. I think because Holly is older (11) we'd have been worried about a kitten being a bit too much energy for her or not taking no for an answer. If Katya is still young that probably wouldn't be such an issue.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly would destroy window blinds trying to murder outdoor cats so I went and got her a friend whom she also tried to murder for 6 months now they mostly peacefully coexist pretty well and combine forces to destroy window blinds trying to murder outdoor cats.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
That gives me faith, guys! I'll just keep looking for cats that need a home and fit our profile, there's no hurry so we can take it from there. :)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I'm a liiiittle hesitant because Katya displays a lot of territorial aggression towards random adult cats she sees outside (outside cats are the norm here) but otoh, in the shelter she was rooming with like 5 other cats and seemed chill about it?

I've always wondered what dark voodoo shelters do to make peace with all the cats - our older cat, Batman, was in a room with like a dozen other cats at the shelter when we got him and seemed pretty chill, but now he absolutely hates any strange adult cat he meets on sight.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Yeah a kitten would be ideal. Almost no cat will see a kitten as a threat, and even if they're annoyed by it initially, they're much, MUCH more likely to bond with it (or at least tolerate it) than another adult cat.

Not that you can't do it with another very chill, non-territorial adult cat, but a kitten is much more of a sure thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of fuckin cats...

Our litter boxes for our three cats are all in a broom closet with a pet door on it. The cats seem to prefer pawing open the entire door to using the pet door, meaning that it'll often smell in the house because the door is wide open. So I decide to train them to use the pet door flap and put a latch on the outside so they don't keep opening it.

Two of the cats take to it right away and don't seem to mind at all, but the other, Quinn, pees a few times in the house because she apparently doesn't know how to use the pet door (or doesn't like to). Ok, fine, I'll unlatch it for now, but a few times a day I'll put her in the closet and lock it so she's forced to leave using the pet door.

Every time I do this... She hangs out in there. Like she enjoys being in the litterbox closet. She knows how to use the pet door - she always exits eventually, and has even stopped trying to open the main door when I lock her in, but before that... She'll just hang out. I've looked in a few times and she's just sitting there calmly chilling and doesn't even make a move to escape.

She's also the same one that compulsively chews/eats plastic and whose favorite treat in the world is drinking the water in the sliding door track after I take a shower. I dunno man. Fuckin cats.

Are you cleaning the litter regularly? I have two cats and their litter boxes don't really smell too bad unless I let them go too long. I'm fairly sure you want to keep their litter as accessible as possible, even if you have a little kitty door to let them in the closet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, daily. We have three cats though, and sometimes they like to not cover their poop and leave the door open.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always buy the big boxes of litter from Amazon and used to fill up the litter box by just hoisting the box up and tipping it over but that was getting old as hell so I bought a couple of these wheeled airtight storage bins and some scoops for litter and dry food and they're amazing. Highly recommended if anyone else is breaking their backs lifting those things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Our girls have adapted pretty well 2 months in. Hearing this at 3 am still isn’t fun though.

https://youtu.be/DhUMkW5tVSE

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, daily. We have three cats though, and sometimes they like to not cover their poop and leave the door open.

Ah I see. My cats are generally good about covering their litter but I'm also using litter treated with Febreeze.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Have you tried changing their diet? We just changed both wet food and dry and the poop is a lot less smelly. Mine don't bury well either, but I haven't smelled their poop in weeks and one of the boxes is in the living room.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

Bobstar posted:

Well she also died at 8 months, so I'm thinking neutral at best.

But if her sister shares the same trait, that would be good (though she's been told she's not allowed to even get ill, let alone think about dying).

noooo i’m so sorry :(

my cat has been doing better since he had his cyst drained on tuesday but he didn’t eat dinner last night. and threw up at like 6am this morning.

he’s been taking cerenia which is supposed to prevent vomiting, so ...???

i gave him another dose this morning on schedule and wasn’t able to get him to chase it with anything. he won’t eat, i tried to give him some water in a plastic syringe but he acts like it’s torture.

he keeps swallowing and licking his lips and ... not falling asleep. just sitting with eyes open like he’s in pain. arghh i dunno what to do, it’s so depressing.

and stressful !!!!!!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I have a gassy cat. Seemed to be fine when I just had them on the Blue Buffalo dry food, think it started occurring once I reintroduced wet food. Here is his diet regimen:
- ⅛ cup Blue Buffalo Indoor Health Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe dry food four times, every three hours from 7am to 4pm using automatic feeder - ½ cup total, bag recommends ⅓-⅔ cup
https://bluebuffalo.com/dry-cat-food/blue/indoor-chicken-brown-rice/
- One 3oz tin of Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe pate wet food around 6pm, mix in one tin of lukewarm water - tin recommends 2 tins a day
https://bluebuffalo.com/wet-cat-food/wilderness/chicken/
- 0-8 Greenies as treats daily
- Replace water in bowls every 1-2 days, clean regularly

I'm wondering if I should reduce the amount of food or cut out the extra water I'm placing in the wet food. I took them to the vet pretty recently and they saw no issues. When I had this issue before with another brand of food they suggested switching back to Royal Canin but this doesn't seem as severe as with the Purina so wondering if it could be something other than the food itself.

Could also try these slow feeders:
https://www.amazon.ca/Doc-Phoebes-W...s%2C168&sr=8-53
https://www.amazon.ca/Lickimat-Fish...s%2C168&sr=8-80

Levin fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 29, 2020

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1334172432274485248?s=20

There's a name-poll in the thread if you guys want to help out! Little ? is currently quarantined in the bathroom until we can get her to a vet while slowly introducing her to Katya, I am overwhelmed by the responsibility.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey guys, I have a couple questions:

First, do y’all have any particular recommendations for a ceramic (or metal) water fountain that’s quiet and easy to clean? When we initially set up for our kittens, I ended up with a cheap plastic fountain because I wasn’t sure they’d like it (they love it and drink from all parts of it) and while it’s quiet, it gunks up very quickly and gives the kitties chin acne and is definitely not designed with regular cleaning in mind (weird crevices and annoying disassembly/reassembly). I’m eyeing a few in the $65 range on Amazon but would happily take personal recommendations.

And second, in our TV den where we have arm chairs, we have a problem in which, more often than not, both kittens will pile onto my lap and leave my husband high and dry and sad. Our dream is to have one on each of our laps, but they heavily favor mine and will sometimes literally be on top of each other in order to fit in my lap rather than go to my husband’s bigger and warmer lap. We’ve tried switching chairs (didn’t work - they still came and sat on my lap) and my husband has been enticing them to hang out in his office (he initially shut them out because of allergies) and working on building more rapport with them and feeding them more treats, but it’s still very lopsided. I’m thinking there might be something subconscious - I grew up with cats and loved them, but my husband is a first time cat owner. Has anyone experienced this issue and solved it? Other things to try?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this guy as an upgrade from the basic CatIt plastic fountain with the flower thingey in it and I couldn't be happier with it. The casing on the outside is plastic but the bowl itself is stainless steel, but the real great thing about this fountain is it detaches from the base so you can fill it up and put it back down or take it apart for cleaning/filter replacing without having to unplug everything. It also has a battery compartment for a battery backup in case the power goes out, and has a "smart" function that turns the fountain on/off every couple of minutes which means I'm not constantly hearing a tinkling sound coming from the kitchen and it entices the cats to drink more out of it. It's well worth the $60 IMO.

W/R/T question #2, I don't think there's any way to force that to happen. The cats will go where they want to, and they might just be more comfortable on your lap. This is mostly how it works with my cats. Sometimes Finn comes over to me and curls up on me but 99% of the time he makes a beeline for the GF's lap the moment she sits down. They go through phases though where one week they'll have a favorite spot and the next week they'll never be seen at that spot again so I think they migrate around and it's possible they'll come to your husband but I think letting them go where they're comfortable will be more likely to make it happen rather than trying to entice them over.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 2, 2020

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

explosivo posted:

I bought this guy as an upgrade from the basic CatIt plastic fountain with the flower thingey in it and I couldn't be happier with it. The casing on the outside is plastic but the bowl itself is stainless steel, but the real great thing about this fountain is it detaches from the base so you can fill it up and put it back down or take it apart for cleaning/filter replacing without having to unplug everything. It also has a battery compartment for a battery backup in case the power goes out, and has a "smart" function that turns the fountain on/off every couple of minutes which means I'm not constantly hearing a tinkling sound coming from the kitchen and it entices the cats to drink more out of it. It's well worth the $60 IMO.

Seconded, I felt like an idiot paying that much for a fountain but it's super worth it for the ease of use imho.

Katya strongly prefers my partner's lap/legs, she'll sometimes give me hope by jumping up on mine but it always turns out she's just using me as a human bridge to hop over on his lap. v:shobon:v

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

InvisibleMonkey posted:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1334172432274485248?s=20

There's a name-poll in the thread if you guys want to help out! Little ? is currently quarantined in the bathroom until we can get her to a vet while slowly introducing her to Katya, I am overwhelmed by the responsibility.

Yay!!!! Little baby! Is she black or brown? I love black kitties.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We were using the catit flower but it was getting annoying to clean. I took a large stainless steele dog water bowl and just put the pump from the catit into it. The cats love it and can no longer drag it all over the room(this was becoming a problem) the pump is also quieter now.

Cleaning it takes 5 mins now instead of the time to take all the flower bits apart and scrub everything out.

If the pump in your plastic fountain still works well give it a shot.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yay!!!! Little baby! Is she black or brown? I love black kitties.

I think she has the same colouring as Katya which is a brownish black or smoke(?), she caught my eye because she really looks like a kitten-version of her!
I think we've decided on Kimchi for her name and she's a rag doll mix which I always suspected Katya of secretly being. She's currently huddled in the carrier in a corner of the bathroom and we're occasionally visiting to talk to her, she's still too upset to eat but not visibly scared so we'll just give her some time.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Queen Victorian posted:

Our dream is to have one on each of our laps...

Have husband be the Source of All Food(tm) for a while, and if they're kittens just have him kit-nap one off your lap and give it a bunch of attention in his chair. I think what you have here is the kittens are more interested in each other than the humans, so when one picks you the other follows. It could also be a case of boring lap, if you grew up with them you probably instinctively stroke them on your lap where he might not since he has to remember to do it.

My husband was completely ignored by the cats up until I had to take a 3 month internship out of state and they had to rely on him as the sole human, once I came back they were quite happy to sit on both of us, and Max will even seek him out in his office sometimes though they still mostly favor orbiting me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How can I keep an overactive kitten from going after my poor dog? Harley is only 13 pounds and she's such a gentle soul that she won't bite little Carrot even when he really deserves it. She snarls and snaps at him when he plays rough, but eventually he realized she wasn't going to hurt him and now I just can't get him to stop pouncing on her whenever he's in zoomie mode. For the last couple days I've tried tagging him with a squirt gun whenever he jumps on her, but I just don't know if he's learning from it. This morning it was five different times in ten minutes while the poor dog was just lying in bed waiting for me to get her up, and then he jumps into my lap for cuddles while he's soaking wet. :)

Is there a good way to get him to recognize that she's off-limits? She's had quite a few health problems and I suspect she gets stomachaches most days from the pills she takes, so I don't want her to have to put up with random claws and painful little teeth throughout the day too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phenotype posted:

How can I keep an overactive kitten from going after my poor dog? Harley is only 13 pounds and she's such a gentle soul that she won't bite little Carrot even when he really deserves it. She snarls and snaps at him when he plays rough, but eventually he realized she wasn't going to hurt him and now I just can't get him to stop pouncing on her whenever he's in zoomie mode. For the last couple days I've tried tagging him with a squirt gun whenever he jumps on her, but I just don't know if he's learning from it. This morning it was five different times in ten minutes while the poor dog was just lying in bed waiting for me to get her up, and then he jumps into my lap for cuddles while he's soaking wet. :)

Is there a good way to get him to recognize that she's off-limits? She's had quite a few health problems and I suspect she gets stomachaches most days from the pills she takes, so I don't want her to have to put up with random claws and painful little teeth throughout the day too.

Short answer: no, not really. Kittens are assholes and short of your dog fighting back, it won't quit.

Longer answer: the "attacks" are really just invitations to play. If the dog responds negatively, the kitten will run away. If the dog doesn't respond at all, the kitten will eventually get bored and find something else to jump on. If the dog actually enjoys it, then it'll respond with playful moves of its own, and they'll have some fun.

So don't assume your dog is upset about the kitten's intentions. If she doesn't seem distraught about it, let it go.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to keep them separated for six months or so for the kitten to grow up and settle down.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Introduce a more fun toy as an alternative every time he tries to play with the dog and give him some quality playtime. Do it enough to teach him playtime with you (and a toy) is way more fun than the dog.

That said, it probably won't stop completely until the kitten grows up and mellows out. At which point I bet they'll be best cuddle friends.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

explosivo posted:

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Seconded, I felt like an idiot paying that much for a fountain but it's super worth it for the ease of use imho.

I consider this one, thanks! The Amazon page had a little video of disassembly and cleaning, still a lot of pieces but at least no snaking the cord through a hole in order to free the motor or tiny holes only reachable with a skinny baster cleaner.

Not too keen on the tinkling - the one I have now moves the water around without producing a tinkling sound (though sometimes the plastic parts shift and hit some sort of resonant frequency and hum very loudly). Fountain would be in the same room where the kittens sleep, so the quieter the better.

Thumposaurus posted:

We were using the catit flower but it was getting annoying to clean. I took a large stainless steele dog water bowl and just put the pump from the catit into it. The cats love it and can no longer drag it all over the room(this was becoming a problem) the pump is also quieter now.

Cleaning it takes 5 mins now instead of the time to take all the flower bits apart and scrub everything out.

If the pump in your plastic fountain still works well give it a shot.

My friend set up a thing like this with a copper bowl (for antimicrobial properties) and has good results. Pump is fine and even has little suction cup feet, so this is a viable option and might experiment before buying a more expensive fountain.

quote:

W/R/T question #2, I don't think there's any way to force that to happen. The cats will go where they want to, and they might just be more comfortable on your lap. This is mostly how it works with my cats. Sometimes Finn comes over to me and curls up on me but 99% of the time he makes a beeline for the GF's lap the moment she sits down. They go through phases though where one week they'll have a favorite spot and the next week they'll never be seen at that spot again so I think they migrate around and it's possible they'll come to your husband but I think letting them go where they're comfortable will be more likely to make it happen rather than trying to entice them over.

Now that I’ve been thinking about it, for a while we had a very good rhythm - we’d get done with work and move to the TV den, at which point both kitties would come in and Renny would immediately jump into my lap and Seamus would wedge himself between my husband and the side of the chair. Then we took them in to get fixed and during recovery kept them separated, so the pattern got broken. It’s been more inconsistent since, but I think it’s slowly getting better. Last night Renny chose my husband’s lap for a while (before moving to mine). Husband has had good luck spreading our sheepskin across his lap because the kittens love it (definitely buying more sheepskins to place around the house).

Speaking of which:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Queen Victorian posted:

I consider this one, thanks! The Amazon page had a little video of disassembly and cleaning, still a lot of pieces but at least no snaking the cord through a hole in order to free the motor or tiny holes only reachable with a skinny baster cleaner.

Not too keen on the tinkling - the one I have now moves the water around without producing a tinkling sound (though sometimes the plastic parts shift and hit some sort of resonant frequency and hum very loudly). Fountain would be in the same room where the kittens sleep, so the quieter the better.

Tinkling usually means it's almost empty in my experience (at some point a warning-light will come on before the auto-stop kicks in), it's by far the quietest fountain I've ever used so it's in our living-room. Sometimes I reset the flow by briefly lifting it off the base if the flow is a little too noisy when I know it's full. Idk, I'm not a...water-scientist.

Kitten-update!

Kimchi is very brave, she went from cowering in the carrier to eating ridiculous amounts of food, using her litterbox, and now playing too. She also had her first vet visit today to get her shots, turns out she has fleas but eh, she came from a farm and is still quarantined in the bathroom so it's easily treated.
This weekend we'll start site-swapping her with Katya to let them smell each other as a first step, Katya definitely knows something's going but I don't think she understands that the kitten-sounds are coming from inside the house yet.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm curious to know what people think of this behaviour between my two cats and what it might mean.

One of my cats, Doogan, will like so so slowly will walk toward the other cat, tail wagging low on the ground. Other cat Heidi will stand her ground or back off while hissing or swatting if Doogan is close. Doogan will meow in response, (or is he meowing before getting swatted? who can say).

At a glance it seems like behaviour where Doogan perhaps wants to play, but Heidi absolutely does not want anything to do with it. Nothing too unusual there.

The odd thing to me is that I keep hearing that meowing is a cat to human behaviour, not a cat to cat communication method, so I don't really know what Doogan is trying to do here. Maybe he's calling foul to me at being hissed at, or maybe he's dumb and doesn't know how to communicate with other cats (I'm kinda leaning to this).

Previously this was happening during situations where the cats want to be in the same place (generally around breakfast and dinner when they want to be hovering around me) so I thought at first that Doogan was just getting into Heidi's space, but I also just noticed it happening now, which made me think maybe it was a more general "Doogan wants to play" thing.

Thoughts? I can post a vid if folks are curious.

Background:
Cat 1: Heidi, ~8?yr old female cat
Cat 2: Doogan, ~6?yr old male cat, introduced about a year ago.

They are not friends. Heidi will hiss at Doogan and bat at him if he gets closer than a few feet away.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The short answer is that cats are weird and some of them break the rules and will meow at other cats.

The slightly longer answer is that cats DO use vocalizations for communication with other cats, but generally only in 3 situations - when they are kittens and want their mom, females in heat, and when they are in conflict with another cat. Usually it's a growl-like meow that might build into a yowl, but, again, cats are weird unique little goblins.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Sounds like he's begging for play-time like he would beg humans for food, if he hasn't lived with other cats much I could imagine the communication getting mixed up.
Katya still hasn't met her baby sister but she has definitely vocalised alarming warning-yowls to the neighbourhood cats while also transitioning from being completely mute to squeak-squeaking about everything to us.

Did Doogan and Heidi meet later in life? As an anxious cat-parent I would love to hear some meet-up stories that preferably turn out okay at the very least. :ohdear:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just about every kitten/adult cat introduction I've had went fine. It's 2 adult cats that can be a big issue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I'm curious to know what people think of this behaviour between my two cats and what it might mean.

One of my cats, Doogan, will like so so slowly will walk toward the other cat, tail wagging low on the ground. Other cat Heidi will stand her ground or back off while hissing or swatting if Doogan is close. Doogan will meow in response, (or is he meowing before getting swatted? who can say).

At a glance it seems like behaviour where Doogan perhaps wants to play, but Heidi absolutely does not want anything to do with it. Nothing too unusual there.

The odd thing to me is that I keep hearing that meowing is a cat to human behaviour, not a cat to cat communication method, so I don't really know what Doogan is trying to do here. Maybe he's calling foul to me at being hissed at, or maybe he's dumb and doesn't know how to communicate with other cats (I'm kinda leaning to this).

Previously this was happening during situations where the cats want to be in the same place (generally around breakfast and dinner when they want to be hovering around me) so I thought at first that Doogan was just getting into Heidi's space, but I also just noticed it happening now, which made me think maybe it was a more general "Doogan wants to play" thing.

Thoughts? I can post a vid if folks are curious.

Background:
Cat 1: Heidi, ~8?yr old female cat
Cat 2: Doogan, ~6?yr old male cat, introduced about a year ago.

They are not friends. Heidi will hiss at Doogan and bat at him if he gets closer than a few feet away.

The tail down slow walk behavior is submissive, so Doogan is doing his best to approach in a non-threatening manner - waving a white flag of truce as he approaches, as it were. The meowing is more of that, mimicking a kitten approaching its mother so as to make it clear he has no hostile intentions. I would guess that his goal is not so much to play as just coexist and be friendly in the same space.

Heidi obviously does not want Doogan to be close to her, for whatever reasons.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Did Doogan and Heidi meet later in life? As an anxious cat-parent I would love to hear some meet-up stories that preferably turn out okay at the very least. :ohdear:

Yeah they've only known each other for less than a year.

Honestly it's pretty dumb that I have these two cats since I knew well before hand that both were well known to "not get along" with other cats and they'd probably not get along with one another. I don't think their conflict is representative of anything.

They're both from a cat sanctuary that is home to literally hundreds of cats and friends of mine that worked there on implored me to take in first Heidi and then later Doogan for the same reason, that they weren't doing well with so many other cats around.

Heidi seems to just be a bit of a bitch that doesn't like anyone, and would swat at cats that would come near her which caused #drama. (though she apparently had one cat friend)

Doogan was a poor fit at the sanctuary for the opposite reason, that he was a shy timid boy and all the other cats would gang up on him. For his time there he basically lived under an armchair in constant fear. One worker had seen this sort of thing before and put it so, "Sometimes we get a cat that for some weird reason every other cat hates." *shrug*

So while both would probably, ideally, do best being the only cat around, at the sanctuary the density of cats is incredible, like 8 to a garden shed, whereas at my house it's two cats for 1300 sqft so IMO it's a clear step up in lifestyle for both. They are easily able to give each other space and Heidi generally tolerates Doogan (eg. I've seen them both sit on the same couch for example, albeit at either end).

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 4, 2020

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, I'm super ready to just see it play out instead of worrying about it, but the waiting is the worst.
I know Kimchi is a confused kitten right now who's only just coming out of her shell, but she's already so different from Katya who was in our laps 10 minutes in at about a year old. Katya is a little too smart and a sassy bitch, whereas Kimchi is super cautious and only just starting to trust us.

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah they've only known each other for less than a year.

Honestly it's pretty dumb that I have these two cats since I knew well before hand that both were well known to "not get along" with other cats and they'd probably not get along with one another. I don't think their conflict is representative of anything.

They're both from a cat sanctuary that is home to literally hundreds of cats and friends of mine that worked there on implored me to take in first Heidi and then later Doogan for the same reason, that they weren't doing well with so many other cats around.

Heidi seems to just be a bit of a bitch that doesn't like anyone, and would swat at cats that would come near her which caused #drama. (though she apparently had one cat friend)

Doogan was a poor fit at the sanctuary for the opposite reason, that he was a shy timid boy and all the other cats would gang up on him. For his time there he basically lived under an armchair in constant fear. One worker had seen this sort of thing before and put it so, "Sometimes we get a cat that for some weird reason every other cat hates." *shrug*

So while both would probably, ideally, do best being the only cat around, at the sanctuary the density of cats is incredible, like 8 to a garden shed, whereas at my house it's two cats for 1300 sqft so IMO it's a clear step up in lifestyle for both. They are easily able to give each other space and Heidi generally tolerates Doogan (eg. I've seen them both sit on the same couch for example, albeit at either end).

That's promising, I was only willing to get a second cat once we had the space for them to coexist even if they didn't become buds. Neither of them has a known history of aggression towards cats they live with (based on shelter/animal-filled farmhouse backgrounds), but I do suspect Kimchi was the runt of the litter, being quite small and the last one to be adopted. I'm hoping she can learn from Katya's devil-may-care attitude while she grows up, although hopefully she won't be quite as clever about opening doors/cabinets/drawers/every container known to man.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
my cat’s pancreatic cyst refilled which they tried to stress was a high possibility but it still sucks. he’s going back on monday but has been having these vomiting episodes that are so frightening and lovely and i’m powerless to help him :(

of course they always happen late at night too just to heighten the anxiety experience. poor guy. we’re both so stressed out oy vey

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Make sure to treat your other cat for fleas if the kitten has them, fleas loving suck. Still dealing with them from this summer. :catstare:

Max and Sam were introduced as adults and have a similar thing going as Heidi and Doogan I think. Sam was a timid cat who might like to be friends, Max is kind of a bitch and will never log off be friends. They've lived together like 8-10 years now or something and I only very rarely (like twice a year) see actual fights. It's still shocking to me when I find them chilling on the same piece of furniture but they will do it sometimes on their own. If the humans are on the couch or bed they will share that, and usually when we chill in the TV room we have both cats on us in some capacity.

I would have liked them to get along better and sometimes I feel bad for Sam since I think he'd like a friend who didn't hate him but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My kittens just knocked over the Christmas tree. Mom is not going to be happy when she hears about this.

They just couldn’t leave the drat thing alone.