Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Oxfords hotgrips premium series works good. They got a good bit of cable length since they're universal, but no big hassle to trim and rejoin. Their included glue is crap, use anything else. My clutch hand grip started to wear down to the heated elements a bit after 40k miles on my transalp.

Seconding oxfords, got em for a second time. My KTM; one of the grips also wore down to the heating element but yeah it takes a WHILE.

Edit: adding that I also had the bikemaster set on my DRZ and they were poo poo. Could only feel them on the highest setting, and barely.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, I like the Triumph.

But..I came here to ask if anyone had experience with aftermarket heated grips?.

Oxfords are generally considered the best, but they have an ugly external control unit. (There’s also a rumour that the UK market ones get hotter than the exports)

Koso/Daytona make grips with an integrated controller, they do not get as hot as the oxfords. A few people here have said the grips wear out quickly.

Yamaha also make an integrated controller but I have no experience with them.

I suspect everything else is garbage.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Sir Not Appearing posted:

My other bike is this turd. 1991 EX500 with 2008 EX250 swingarm, forks (also loaded with Racetech goodies) and wheels. Oh, and some homemade high-mounts that a student of mine welded up for me.

It looked like this from '08-'18 and sometimes I miss this setup with dual sport tires. I was a little squirrelly with the 16" wheels, but was a blast on hardpack dirt roads and gravel:

Maybe it's an optical illusion because of the lack of fairing but the gap between the front wheel and front of the bike makes the trail look super long and slow turning.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thirding or fourthing Oxfords.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yuns posted:

Maybe it's an optical illusion because of the lack of fairing but the gap between the front wheel and front of the bike makes the trail look super long and slow turning.

I think the missing fairing amplifies it a bit, but yeah, the rake and trail are a cruiser-ish 27°/3.9". I'm not exactly sure what my actual setup measures out as, but both iterations have the rear raised 1.5“ by shorter dogbones, and when I redid it with the fairing and "new" suspension, the front end is about 3/8" lower by sliding the forks up in the trees.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

Uh yeah don't look at basically any bike from before 1990.

Before radial tyres, trail braking wasn't a thing, aggressively using the front tire wasn't a thing. Instead the emphasis was on stability that let you enter corners as quickly as possible, using fast but orthodox lines. All the sporty fast bikes were very long and low as there was no value in having a tall, pitchy, stubby bike like today because that simply wasn't the way to get the most out of the tyres.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Slavvy posted:

Uh yeah don't look at basically any bike from before 1990.

Before radial tyres, trail braking wasn't a thing, aggressively using the front tire wasn't a thing. Instead the emphasis was on stability that let you enter corners as quickly as possible, using fast but orthodox lines. All the sporty fast bikes were very long and low as there was no value in having a tall, pitchy, stubby bike like today because that simply wasn't the way to get the most out of the tyres.
I don't remember the sportbikes of the era because I started on standards (Nighthawk 450) in the very late 80s. So I went back and googled the '87 Ninja because of your post and drat if you aren't right. The fork angles look so lazy compared to today.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a pair of Oxford Premium Heated Grips, new in box. I phoned my local mechanic to ask if he could put them on the Fat Bob.

Here is his response:

"...With regards the grips. It seems that the Oxford grips are not suitable for the Flyby wire throttle set up. Again I would speak to the dealer. They should be able to advise. Sorry I can’t help you this time."

Phoned up Harley, they've got literally one pair of their own heated grips, and that's it, they're all out of stock otherwise and next stock is coming in maaaaybe February.

The pair they have in stock are the bog standard rubber heated grips by Harley, with the controller at the end of the left grip:

They're £216.85, and the labour to install them is an additional £196.80!

Sigh, gently caress it, do it, it's not like I am comfortable without them and I don't want to just have it sit unridden till May or something.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I have a pair of Oxford Premium Heated Grips, new in box. I phoned my local mechanic to ask if he could put them on the Fat Bob.

Here is his response:

"...With regards the grips. It seems that the Oxford grips are not suitable for the Flyby wire throttle set up. Again I would speak to the dealer. They should be able to advise. Sorry I can’t help you this time."

Phoned up Harley, they've got literally one pair of their own heated grips, and that's it, they're all out of stock otherwise and next stock is coming in maaaaybe February.

The pair they have in stock are the bog standard rubber heated grips by Harley, with the controller at the end of the left grip:

Sigh, gently caress it, do it, it's not like I am comfortable without them and I don't want to just have it sit unridden till May or something.

Those grips are $209 here in the US. It almost looks like someone just flipped the currency symbol and said "good enough"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Deeters posted:

Those grips are $209 here in the US. It almost looks like someone just flipped the currency symbol and said "good enough"

That's normal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Here is his response:

FBW throttle isn't the problem, it's that those oxford grips will be for a normal 22mm bar, not a 3/4" Harley fat bar.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

FBW throttle isn't the problem, it's that those oxford grips will be for a normal 22mm bar, not a 3/4" Harley fat bar.

Oxford make grips for fat bars, but they specifically say “not for Harley FBW throttles”

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, it's booked in for next week now so it's all good.

Silly question:

I cleaned the bike last week, and put rust proofer on it.

Went for a ride yesterday. It's now a bit muddy and gross.

It's going to Harley for the grips attachment next week, as well as them putting some leads (USB, heated jacket lead) to the battery, and the rear brake being mushy.

Since it's going to Harley, I don't have to bother cleaning it for this week and it'll come back nice and clean and shiny, right?

:pray:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:lol:

it'll actually come back dirtier, covered in dust from how long it sat around waiting to be worked on while the Harley spanners just sat around talking about nothing

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Supradog posted:

Oxfords hotgrips premium series works good. They got a good bit of cable length since they're universal, but no big hassle to trim and rejoin. Their included glue is crap, use anything else. My clutch hand grip started to wear down to the heated elements a bit after 40k miles on my transalp.
I'll vouch for oxfords as well, they are simple and unobtrusive. Not sure how many miles are on mine, came with the bike. PO just zip tied extra wiring underneath the plastics, its no big deal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Oxford make grips for fat bars, but they specifically say “not for Harley FBW throttles”

Ok now I'm intrigued, I can't understand what kind of difference it would make. The throttle tube is a throttle tube whether it's a cable or a sensor on the other end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can you even call yourself a Harley owner if you don't spend more time polishing it than riding it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally had a warm enough day to wash the bike.

I’m probably not supposed to like material things this much. Oh well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I say this every time you post it but Yamaha really nailed the perfect front-end look on those bikes. Just looks gorgeous.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

Finally had a warm enough day to wash the bike.

I’m probably not supposed to like material things this much. Oh well.

Buddy we all get a little Travis-y for our bikes every now and again.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok now I'm intrigued, I can't understand what kind of difference it would make. The throttle tube is a throttle tube whether it's a cable or a sensor on the other end.

I haven't taken apart any bikes with FBW throttles, but it looks like Harley put their sensor on the end of the handlebar and other brands did not. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Twist-Grip-Sensor/p/32310-08A

So I'm guessing there's teeth inside the end of the throttle tube to mate with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

I haven't taken apart any bikes with FBW throttles, but it looks like Harley put their sensor on the end of the handlebar and other brands did not. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Twist-Grip-Sensor/p/32310-08A

So I'm guessing there's teeth inside the end of the throttle tube to mate with that.

Right, I see. I can see why they've done it but that is an irritating setup with an alarming possiblity of jamming if you drop the bike on the right.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

wouldn't you have to drop the average harley really drat hard to get the bar ends to touch down?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'd struggle to find a Harley where the bar doesn't touch down, they're relatively skinny bikes with huge bars.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Rode for the first time in several weeks yesterday. Had to replace my flasher and ran into some PO wiring issues, but it's back and after a little Italian tune up, running awesome!

Now I just need better gloves!

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 30, 2020

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
So I picked up my 3rd and 4th Motorcycles of the Year. Let me know what you all think

These projects are going to be so easy I guarantee it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DID YOU KNOW bmw is a famous white supremacist bramd?!?!

Really those rule, you're in for some trauma.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that the missing cylinder from the R100S down by your foot in the second picture?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do those spark plug leads just go into the engine?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
part them out on ebay

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Genuinely wondering what you think is going on in that picture...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rolo posted:

Almost all of the electrics on the bike are hidden under the front cover so yes. It also has no fuses, just a single self- resetting breaker on the [mechanical] voltage regulator. That's an R69 or R69S, those are pretty desirable bikes even among old BMWs. No they are not nazi bikes, although they were probably made by former nazis, as they were produced from 1955-69. The other bike is decent too, although those rotating caliper brakes suck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Almost all of the electrics on the bike are hidden under the front cover so yes. It also has no fuses, just a single self- resetting breaker on the [mechanical] voltage regulator. That's an R69 or R69S, those are pretty desirable bikes even among old BMWs. No they are not nazi bikes, although they were probably made by former nazis, as they were produced from 1955-69. The other bike is decent too, although those rotating caliper brakes suck.

Is this better or worse than a board of completely exposed ceramic fuses inside the headlight bucket?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I hope crappy videos are kosher!

https://youtu.be/mjHiDgIsvZc

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Is this better or worse than a board of completely exposed ceramic fuses inside the headlight bucket?
It's not as bad as the cable operated hydraulic disc brake?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's not as bad as the cable operated hydraulic disc brake?

Old bikes :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s bizarre how before a certain year, motorcycles were mechanically nearly unrecognizable compared to modern bikes.

Then after a certain time in the 60’s the modern motorcycle crystalized and literally hasn’t changed since. Yeah, the metallurgy got better, fueling improved, electrics got more reliable and the individual parts were improved over time but a first year CB750 is basically the exact same bike from a purely functional engineering standpoint as a 2021 CB1100

Like you look at a motorcycle from the 30’s or 40’s and it’s nearly unrecognizable from a modern technology standpoint.

The transition of motorcycles in the 60’s is basically like the transition from the strange gas powered horseless carriages we used to have into the model T, which cast the die for all future cars.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 4, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
To be fair, cars have actually changed quite a lot since the model T in engineering terms. There's still 4 wheels with passengers in the middle, but almost nothing else is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
The only-ever issue of Motorcyclist's "Classic Motorcyclist" feature article was Honda USA's chief reminiscing about the conception and creation of the CB750.

Soichiro Honda decided to make a motorcycle that would be known as "King of Motorcycles."

Honda engineered reliability by sending the prototypes to Nevada, where dudes would ride them as hard as possible all day long all summer long, and the engineers would spend all night tearing them down and inspecting them for wear and failure, putting them back together for the next day's riding.