Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah gently caress! They nerfed the “have a lot of friends, get a lot of skill points” perk. It’s capped at 5 friends now

Not just that, the perk is broken for me, as is the one that gives you points for having kids. No points at all for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah gently caress! They nerfed the “have a lot of friends, get a lot of skill points” perk. It’s capped at 5 friends now

It's actually bugged and capped at 0 friends, apparently

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t see it advertised anywhere, but they added the ruleset option to turn every male-dominated institution into a female-dominated one, universally, worldwide. It doesn’t disable achievements, either!

It looks like how it works is, when starting a new game, it tries to find the closest female relative to the default male ruler and makes that woman the new ruler. So, for example, in 867, it’s not Ivar the Boneless’s Jarldom of the Isles, it’s his daughter’s. In practice, though, since so many counts start without daughters or sisters, there’s still a whole bunch of male rulers hanging around. Plus, the new female rulers all seem to be in non-matrilineal marriages, so dynasties are gonna be pretty messed up in about one generation.

Still, pretty cool

Some pretty silly stuff can happen with inverted gender rules. The Byzantine Empire is ruled by a child, whose heir is her lowborn mother that will accept patrilineal marriages. West Francia is split into the kingdom of West Francia and Aquitane. I think nobody playtested this mode :O

scaterry fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 27, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

scaterry posted:

Some pretty silly stuff can happen with inverted gender rules. The Byzantine Empire is ruled by a child, whose heir is her lowborn mother that will accept patrilineal marriages. West Francia is split into the kingdom of West Francia and Aquitane. I think nobody playtested this mode :O

If I wanted 0 friends I’d just roleplay my real life

edit: Ugh and it takes a devastatingly long time to fabricate claims against your own vassals now.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

scaterry posted:

An issue with old saves unfortunately, fresh games should be fine.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I can't say I've ever bothered to marrying my knights off, but that is an intriguing breeding strat.

If you marry your knights, they leave a widow behind when they die, who you can marry to somebody from outside to get a (better) replacement knight. To much busy work if you are big, but can be useful early on when starting small and can't get enough knights.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MonikaTSarn posted:

If you marry your knights, they leave a widow behind when they die, who you can marry to somebody from outside to get a (better) replacement knight. To much busy work if you are big, but can be useful early on when starting small and can't get enough knights.

I can never get enough knights. The decision to invite them generates mostly 40-50 year old guys that get useless pretty quick (if they don't die/get maimed first) and the cool down is pretty long so I have taken to abducting great warriors to force them to join my court!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I tend to recruit peasant revolt leaders as knights, they tend to have pretty good martial stats, although they might hate me a bit at first after being jailed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My observation is that larger religions tank their fervor far less frequently now, though some of that may be due to me going crazy with my empire-tier income in this test game and buying temples in random provinces.

Trevor Hale posted:

edit: Ugh and it takes a devastatingly long time to fabricate claims against your own vassals now.

It is kinda bothersome yeah, I wish more of the other options for getting claims worked on your vassals, can't use the Buy Claim perk on them and the religious head pretty much never gives you a claim unless they really hate the vassal and you're super virtuous. It certainly doesn't help that I'm getting some mysterious tyranny when messing with Demand Conversion -> They refuse/ask for a favor -> Imprison -> Revoke. Somewhere in the chain I'm getting tyranny even though the tooltips are assuring me every step of the way that it's tyranny-free. I ended up with something like 80 tyranny when dealing with a bunch of vassals in this way. I wonder if the new "request a favor in exchange for conversion" messed it up somehow? I seem to recall this was an issue before.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If you deny offering a favour in exchange for conversion, you don’t get an imprison reason.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

It is kinda bothersome yeah, I wish more of the other options for getting claims worked on your vassals, can't use the Buy Claim perk on them and the religious head pretty much never gives you a claim unless they really hate the vassal and you're super virtuous. It certainly doesn't help that I'm getting some mysterious tyranny when messing with Demand Conversion -> They refuse/ask for a favor -> Imprison -> Revoke. Somewhere in the chain I'm getting tyranny even though the tooltips are assuring me every step of the way that it's tyranny-free. I ended up with something like 80 tyranny when dealing with a bunch of vassals in this way. I wonder if the new "request a favor in exchange for conversion" messed it up somehow? I seem to recall this was an issue before.

Fabricate Claim no longer works on vassals? That's a drat shame. Tyranny really should work like opinion modifiers where it will tell you the source of tyranny, otherwise you're just sort of baffled why people think you're tyrannical.

By the way, it turns out the mysterious +50 "refusing conversion is a crime" bonus to demand conversion has nothing to do with crown authority. It means you and the recipient are the same religion, but hostile faiths. (AKA, abrahamic/zoroastrian religions) Why is refusing conversion a crime in only those religions, and not in others? I have no idea.

LordMune posted:

Oh! Good to know.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

I discovered this bug on a fresh game using the ruler designer.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Midgetskydiver posted:

I discovered this bug on a fresh game using the ruler designer.

Huh! That shouldn't happen, will look into it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Is there a reason why a claimant leaves the faction that wants to put him on the throne, then forms another, separate faction with an identical name and goal?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

scaterry posted:

Fabricate Claim no longer works on vassals? That's a drat shame. Tyranny really should work like opinion modifiers where it will tell you the source of tyranny, otherwise you're just sort of baffled why people think you're tyrannical.

It works, it's just very slow. A penalty to using it in your own realm was added in 1.2.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

MonikaTSarn posted:

Yeah I feel I really started to do well in this game once I saw a youtube video that pointed this out, that you can use the "find character" tool to find the men with the absolute best prowress stats and marrying them matrilineally to women in my court to get great knights. Now it's the norm for me to have all 20+ prowress knights.

This could be another thing to be nerfed if the developer wanted to make the game harder.

Usually it's pretty easy to find a good knight out there in the world, but sometimes they're already a knight in someone's court thus "important" to that lord so they won't release them to be married.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

After further testing I still got tyranny somehow when trying to imprison a vassal that had refused conversion (despite the UI telling me I had a valid reason and it wouldn't be tyranny) when they rebelled. I didn't even revoke titles, I just released them from prison in exchange for conversion, so it seems the attempted imprisonment was what generated tyranny.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Interesting bug now that you can start with a culture that doesn't have any land: A random tech will get chosen as the focus, and it can be anything, including every regional. I decided to start as English, and the initial tech focus was Wootz Steel, which is going to be really nice in 35 years when it finishes. I haven't cultured converted any counties, since I'm pretty sure that will make it realize there aren't any English culture provinces in India.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

binge crotching posted:

Interesting bug now that you can start with a culture that doesn't have any land: A random tech will get chosen as the focus, and it can be anything, including every regional. I decided to start as English, and the initial tech focus was Wootz Steel, which is going to be really nice in 35 years when it finishes. I haven't cultured converted any counties, since I'm pretty sure that will make it realize there aren't any English culture provinces in India.

That's been a bug since release. So if there is a character of a culture with no land, they will slowly unlock every tech possible for that age, it's hilarious. I saw an AI doing it once in the Baltic.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss

Jay Rust posted:

Patch is out

fuckin yikes :nms:

Princes of Darkness, the V:tM mod updated today and you can make some gnarly vampires. Like whatever I did to this guy with a mix of Tzimisce and Nosferatu sliders.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

First time this has happened to me. I have 2 adult sons neither with any land. Both have children.

First son dies. Game is telling me that my grandson and son 2 are now splitting my titles. That feels...off? Son 1 never held a title so what is he passing on?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
No, that's correct. The children of the primary heir get a share if they croak early.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

No, that's correct. The children of the primary heir get a share if they croak early.

loving moocher

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

First time this has happened to me. I have 2 adult sons neither with any land. Both have children.

First son dies. Game is telling me that my grandson and son 2 are now splitting my titles. That feels...off? Son 1 never held a title so what is he passing on?

Basically it works the same way as if your older son died immediately after you do. He would inherit his share of your titles, and then pass them on to his son.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It feels weird that you can enable both sexes inheriting on equal footing super early in the game. Is that a thing unique to Basque culture?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yep. Historically accurate afaik

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Play Cathar Basques for full equality.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Yep. Historically accurate afaik

its not. it might have been the case long before the start of the game and it is certainly true that basque communities were slightly more equal than other communities at the time but its certainly not the case that they were fully equal. all the research ive ever seen into basque noble inheritance is that it was roughly the same as everywhere else in the christian world. more matriarchal societies are better attested as like the tuareg or the akan peoples.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure, and the basque regions are by default male preference in game, though maybe the game is saying, if anywhere in Europe wouldve been able to implement equal inheritance laws during the Middle Ages, it’d likely be in Basque Country

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Sure, and the basque regions are by default male preference in game, though maybe the game is saying, if anywhere in Europe wouldve been able to implement equal inheritance laws during the Middle Ages, it’d likely be in Basque Country

theyre programmed to convert to equal succession more or less immediately. its just not particularly historically accurate which of course isnt everything but it is quite odd when you could just as easily argue that brehon law was just as or more progressive when it comes to women than visigothic law. dihya is one of the most well known berbers in history and she was a queen as well as a general and priest and she was ruling in her own right only a century and a half before 867; yet, berbers have no claim to female succession. the basque claim is just a strange meme that paradox has become somewhat obsessed with.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I did it!!! i beat tutorial island

Started as the Borjigin bastard in 800 start, waited until i could get a halfway decent and young heir to turn into genghis khan, then just started tearing west, saving my once-in-a-lifetime non-Mongol invasion of Kingdom for when I could get close enough to Alba and snatch their half of the island; now the khan of khans will rule his last days and prosecute his last wars from Dublin

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

tin can made man posted:

I did it!!! i beat tutorial island

Started as the Borjigin bastard in 800 start, waited until i could get a halfway decent and young heir to turn into genghis khan, then just started tearing west, saving my once-in-a-lifetime non-Mongol invasion of Kingdom for when I could get close enough to Alba and snatch their half of the island; now the khan of khans will rule his last days and prosecute his last wars from Dublin

I love seeing the state of other people's maps. Like, what happened to Khazaria? How does Alba/Sapmi own so much land? And, most importantly, what the heck is "Niptasan"?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Did something get borked in the update? If I ascend to the throne as a child when my former character was the guardian, I now can’t pick a new guardian for myself?

Edit: nope. You just have to let a couple days advance before you get the option

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 29, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the heck don't you get a notification for educating your heir's kids if they're in your court? I've got so many grandchildren with bad education now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

Why the heck don't you get a notification for educating your heir's kids if they're in your court? I've got so many grandchildren with bad education now.

:yossame: I would love to see a little subsection for this in the Issues tab.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just want the CK2 outliner and four-tier message filtering (including auto-pause) back… :eng99:

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I find there are too many unimportant issues in the issues tab for me to make much use of it, even if they did add alerts. An alert for every member of my house that I could extort for my house head weak hook. I can declare 14 wars. 8 people can be imprisoned. I need a way to silence these things and choose what I care to hear about.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

A God drat Ghost posted:

I find there are too many unimportant issues in the issues tab for me to make much use of it, even if they did add alerts. An alert for every member of my house that I could extort for my house head weak hook. I can declare 14 wars. 8 people can be imprisoned. I need a way to silence these things and choose what I care to hear about.

Same for the pop-ups. In multiplayer they are the worst. I'm not reading any of it. It feels like they only added it so that it would appear under your mouse while you're feverishly clicking to try and catch an AI army. Join war, all the feast stuff, all the hunt stuff, all the lifestyle stuff. Where is the 'unless it is about the next 5 people I can play, it doesn't matter' button? Or 'wars and children only' button.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The more I play the more I notice a lot of steps backwards in UI and quality of life from CK2. I mentioned this before, but why isn't there a way to see all of your vassals other than an unfilterable list? Lots of poo poo like that that should have been "oh yeah of course the player would want to see that information" but it isn't.

e: also the patch made raising armies even more tedious :argh:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 29, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can find your vassals by filtering "rulers" with "Top realm" in the search function.

I agree on the limitations of the UI for the most part though. Hopeful that they'll take a look at it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah but that doesn't show me any useful information unless I click on each one. There really needs to be something like the realm tree view in CK2. That shows you everything you need to know at a glance.

It's not perfect, but like, how do you make a sequel to this game and decide "nah, the player doesn't need to see information like this"?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 29, 2020