Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I'm gunning for the Advance of Zeta stuff. I love those weird designs so much. I might pick up that Gunpla book too since it's in English too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sale is open! Snagged a Haz'en-thley II Rah to go with the Haze'n-thley Rah II I have on order.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So far only the Sinanju is gone, weirdly enough

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

El Burbo posted:

So far only the Sinanju is gone, weirdly enough

not terribly surprising the HG Sinanju is a well liked kit right? This is a pretty unique variation as well.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I skipped out on the Transport version of the RG Unit 01 but I'm thinking about whether or not to get the RG Unit 00 with the positron cannon or just the RG unit itself. It's a cool concept but even at a Thanksgiving weekend discount it costs a bit more with the cannon. Is the cannon worth paying extra for?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I skipped out on the Transport version of the RG Unit 01 but I'm thinking about whether or not to get the RG Unit 00 with the positron cannon or just the RG unit itself. It's a cool concept but even at a Thanksgiving weekend discount it costs a bit more with the cannon. Is the cannon worth paying extra for?

I mean, it's well made but if you don't want to pose 01 firing it I don't know that it's super worth the extra money to just sit on a shelf or be put in a box.

edit: it's quite substantial http://gundam2.blogspot.com/2020/06/review-rg-eva-00-dx-positron-cannon-set.html

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My cousin's 7y/o is really into Zoids and "robot shows" on Netflix so I showed him Gundpla and now he's obsessed.

I don't know anything about them really but I have friends that are super into it.

I want to get him a model kit for Christmas but I'm not sure what type of kit would be appropriate for a 7y/o. I was told that the hero grade kits might be ok? Any recommendations? Should I just get him an action figure?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

64bit_Dophins posted:

My cousin's 7y/o is really into Zoids and "robot shows" on Netflix so I showed him Gundpla and now he's obsessed.

I don't know anything about them really but I have friends that are super into it.

I want to get him a model kit for Christmas but I'm not sure what type of kit would be appropriate for a 7y/o. I was told that the hero grade kits might be ok? Any recommendations? Should I just get him an action figure?

It's High Grade, not Hero Grade. :v:

As for what to get him, i'd say an action figure would be better for a 7 year old since model kits aren't meant to be played with like toys. The Gundam Universe figures should be right up his alley: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gundam+universe&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

64bit_Dophins posted:

the new Entry Grade rx-78 might be good to build with a 7-year old with supervision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBnd3Cslz4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

64bit_Dophins posted:

High Grade kits are great for kids. I'd suggest this one, the GP-Rase-Two-Ten. It's a simple build which will be great for a beginner, and it's got big swords and bazookas and stuff which a seven year old will enjoy

https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Build...s%2C187&sr=8-31

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You don't need glue or knives or anything, just a pair of nippers and the ability to read instructions. The kits are pretty sturdy, too, so they're fairly hard to break. That said, even the most simple kits have a few small parts. 7 is a bit old to randomly put stuff in your mouth, but they might lose the pieces.

The entry grade Gundam is very good, and the more basic humanoid High Grades are also easy. The Leo is an extremely simple build and you can pick it up for like 10 bucks, though its mostly military green so it might be a bit drab for a kid.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
And today was when I learned about the effects of Tamiya panel liner in bare plastic. I only purposely put it over paint, but it leaked around to where there wasn't paint and, well, now my MG God Gundam's gauntlet is in more pieces than it started in.

And that's how I ended up with the perfect model to test stuff on without worrying about messing it up to much!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
currently building the g40 rx78 and man its crazy poseable.

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1332850692218785794

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've noticed HLJ's got the olllld 1/48 Bandai Aestivalis kits for cheap, is there anything egregiously bad about them that should be avoided or they just typical old HG kits?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've noticed HLJ's got the olllld 1/48 Bandai Aestivalis kits for cheap, is there anything egregiously bad about them that should be avoided or they just typical old HG kits?
I've heard they're pretty clunky and low-detail but you don't need to glue them together or anything. Probably slightly below the quality of the extremely early HGUC stuff but still workable? Haven't touched one myself, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Square Enix is making more model kits from their properties and next up is *checks notes*

...A four-kit set of loving Xenogears mecha? :stare:

Included are; WELTALL, VIERGE, HEIMDAL and BRIGANDER.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Square Enix is making more model kits from their properties and next up is *checks notes*

Holy poo poo, I never buy model kits, but I might be tempted to pick this up :stare: though realistically speaking, I'd probably need a little more experience with model kits and handling glue/paint before starting on something like this :sweatdrop:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Suzaku posted:

And today was when I learned about the effects of Tamiya panel liner in bare plastic. I only purposely put it over paint, but it leaked around to where there wasn't paint and, well, now my MG God Gundam's gauntlet is in more pieces than it started in.

And that's how I ended up with the perfect model to test stuff on without worrying about messing it up to much!

I'm always surprised when I hear about this because I've used it on dozens of kits without paint and have never had a problem.

I don't "paint" the lines; just let it flow where it needs to. Then I use Zippo lighter fluid on a cotton swab to clean the excess at least 15 minutes after application (never more than half an hour).

Maybe I've just been lucky and now hubris will murder the GM I'm working on.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

In my experience small amounts, carefully applied, don't usually cause a problem as the thinner will evaporate off pretty quickly. Where there's generally a problem is when a larger amount flows in between two parts and pools there.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I've been working on the RG Gundam Mk-II, and the assembly instructions have me wondering about something. Basically every other RG or MG kit I've worked on, the instructions having you assemble the underlying skeleton along with the armor that attaches to it. You'll finish the whole torso, then each arm, etc. But on the RG Mk-II, they have you build the whole naked skeleton, and then go back over and add armor plates to each section in turn.

The kit itself doesn't seem that fundamentally different from RG kits that have come before or since. It does have wire parts wrapped in a cloth tube, which are mostly assembled as part of the skeleton, but putting them together on the legs doesn't get in the way of assembling anything on the torso or arms. Anybody have any insight as to why most kits have you build entire limbs and such at once, but this one differs?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm pretty sure based on what reviewers do that it's possible to build other RG kits that way, I guess it's just a matter of consistency with how other grades are assembled.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
That kit is very early in the line so the build order was probably an experiment. Maybe to show off the full articulate. Maybe to test if the inner frame would survive the snapping on of every single piece. All I can really say for sure is that I miss those early 2000s mg manuals that just had the units serial number, name, and liked like cool declassified spec documents.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well.. I just ordered I think 3 MG kits... HG are down to like the 90 minute mark. Hah.

I managed to build my Penelope two weeks ago. That took.. a few hours. It's very, very large. Even the base Gundam inside is very large. Overall, it's quite .. fiddly? delicate? I broke one of the skirt support frames just assembling the thing. Even assembling the Penelope on the base gundam was tricky, as you end up needing to align four not exactly pins.

It looks cool. It's not much of a toy, and the things that make it ~cool~ you can't show off without really like.. playing with it. Frustrating. But.. it was bought for me with the intent of being a real trial to build. :-) (A full 1/4 of the gundam I own were bought with the intent of making a pile of pretty colored gundam glitter, and being tricky to build.)

Same night I was building Peen-a-lope, my buddy was building the MRX-010 Psycho Gundam. What a weird machine. It.. transforms into a .. building? Also it makes the Penelope seem small. It's the first gundam I've seen that needed actual screws to assemble.

Tonight I built the Gundam GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]. Just to start off, the name is a mouthful. I do like that it's a return to the "light and lithe" ideal of Exia, and Exia repair. It was a fairly easy build, the trickiest bits being the stickers on the head. It poses really well, and comes with a glitter green stand. And that suits the model really nicely. The shield isn't quite as positive on it's attachment as I'd like, but for a HG kit, I'm giving it a solid pass on that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh lord they're all unpainted, biggest monkey paw moment for me

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Front Mission kits were the game way. :(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zeether posted:

Oh lord they're all unpainted, biggest monkey paw moment for me

That's probably just because they're prototypes. Expect colored plastic closer to release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

That's probably just because they're prototypes. Expect colored plastic closer to release.

They are Lvl3 with the glue and paint icons on the HLJ listing, and there are demo colour images that look painted or airbrushed, so I'm inclined to think unpainted too. They're also clearly not prototypes (or at least early ones), as the prototypes often have a rougher 3d-printed texture to them. Those have the sheen of proper mould-printed production models and they show off the runners in one of the photos.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah they're unpainted, just like the Front Mission SA kits, as mentioned.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So, who feels like driving themselves insane on an MG Sazabi build ?

https://newtype.us/p/XNYUjiF2ZOVVQbCvSKpY/h/anchoret-mg-sazabi-conversion-bundle

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Speaking of the Sazabi, I am in the middle of building the RG and straight up sneezed while trying to apply the foil eye sticker and lost the loving thing. I know it doesn't stop me from finishing assembly but the clear piece is definitely lacking. Does anyone have any good alternatives to make up for the lost sticker?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gorefiend posted:

Speaking of the Sazabi, I am in the middle of building the RG and straight up sneezed while trying to apply the foil eye sticker and lost the loving thing. I know it doesn't stop me from finishing assembly but the clear piece is definitely lacking. Does anyone have any good alternatives to make up for the lost sticker?

Metallic Gundam Markers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gorefiend posted:

Molotow liquid chrome and then clear color paint over it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Metallic Gundam Markers?

I did this for my MG Zaku II and it looks great, way better than the non-matallic sticker that came with the kit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Veotax posted:

I did this for my MG Zaku II and it looks great, way better than the non-matallic sticker that came with the kit.

Never do with a sticker what you could do with a marker.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

For whatever reason I had been hesitant to use the things, but that broke me of it.

I did the MG Death Sythe the other week (keep meaning to post some pictures) and I used that to test out doing some smaller details with the markers.
Colouring the inside of the thruster bells red, using some grey on some wider panel lines on the legs.

Been enjoying it, might keep it up on later kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They are sub-HG quality and have very little going for them. Proceed at your own risk.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well a chinese youtuber got the new RX 78-2 1/60 Unleashed and it did not have waterslides. Very disappointing.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Yawgmoft posted:

Well a chinese youtuber got the new RX 78-2 1/60 Unleashed and it did not have waterslides. Very disappointing.

As in it comes with those garbage stickers that I invariable throw away? You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Third party decal makers will pickup the slack as they always do but still....

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Leave it to Bandai to include metal parts and etching parts but retain the sticker tech from 1982.

They include both sheets in all the Star Wars kits, I do not understand why they refuse to do it with Gunpla.

E: I mean I do understand, $$$, but they only put out sheets for like 1/3rd of all kits, and they announce them a half a year later like with the Barbatos. It's so sloppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thats incredibly dumb and downright wasteful of bandai.