Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"...and then a man in a chicken mask and letterman jacket caved in my skull with a nine-iron."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Now that they're back to fighting with each other and manipulating Snout with dream magic, the plot is back to where it was before Mookie pulled the eject lever and had Snout "start again", but with the addition of a new and different nameless naked woman and accompanying new and different creepy and abusive relationship.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
When do they get to the Dominic Deegan Legacy factory?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Moldless Bread posted:

Not completely naked. The Ink Witch is wearing her hat.

Which is somehow the weirdest thing for me.
"If you cut off the beard, does the Dwarf grow back?" Witch hats are to witches as beards are to Dwarves.
Joking aside, I'm fine with that and think it's funny and almost endearing. I like the idea a witch would sooner be seen without the rest of her clothes than hatless. Although I think we've seen her hatless already so yeah, and I doubt Mookie had that kind of thought put into things.

I think the better question is why they are naked in the first place. Even if they both sleep nude, so? This is a dream. They are astral projecting or whatever. They presumably, if this is anything like more or less literally every other depiction of this sort of power in media, have wide-ranging if not total control over how they appear in this dreamspace. They have both chosen to be deliberately naked.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's because being naked is a thing that famously happens in people's dreams, so therefore it must be a thing that happens in all dreams.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's because Mookie feels like drawing nudity, so has composed a plot and set of assumptions that ensure maximum nudity. Snout's dreams, Snout's habits, the corpsedaughterwifeabuser, the showers, etc etc etc. Just on and on finding excuses for full frontal nudity that nobody wanted to see.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Don't be so close minded.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i'll never get over mookie's smug self-assurance that the nudity is about breaking down barriers and how there's nothing wrong with the beautiful human form... as if oglaf doesn't exist and is infinitely more popular than dominic deegan ever was, and isn't written by a pretentious prude who has to morally justify their horniness.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

TheHan posted:

Oh I wouldn't call it reaching, Mookie's a lil fuckin' weirdo and there's often these weird sexual undertones whether he intends it or not. But I didn't expect this page to actually have any relevance to what's going on and is just him making GBS threads these out pure stream of consciousness. Looking at the next page Snout is already dry and there's no reason given for why he was attacked by ink, so you could cut Monday entirely and not miss a beat.

And we've officially hit the point where Snout's speaking out loud.

Fair enough. And lo, it looks you were entirely right.

What's going on with Arudak's beard.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Marin Karin posted:

i'll never get over mookie's smug self-assurance that the nudity is about breaking down barriers and how there's nothing wrong with the beautiful human form... as if oglaf doesn't exist and is infinitely more popular than dominic deegan ever was, and isn't written by a pretentious prude who has to morally justify their horniness.

No but see Oglaf also has sex and erections, and it's been established that he thinks sex and erections are bad.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The Battle for Barthis Part 1 [PArt 4]

This is where the real concentrated stupid of this arc starts

Starting out strong with a pirate joke. Already a cliche then, and pointless to the story

Callan once again proves itself a terrible place to live by establishing that the highest order of law enforcements will enforce duels upon request.

I love that this is the plan, that Quilt being gone from the band will be what kills the benifit concert. Why even include this detail? Or why nto make it about teh danger to Quilt of being taken apart, instead of relating to the absurd main plot?

Oh look, I guess Mookie must have had the same realization. I'm just pointing this out because this is a repeated pattern with Mookie. A comic will seem to immediately contradict or address points made in the previous comic, negating the first strip and slowing things down.

Mookie again fails at motion and dynamism, though I will say that I can follow some of the action going on here is that in the last four panels so it's not the worst.

But Mookie can't let a sort of competent strip not be followed by a poo poo-ton of text detailing what we just saw again and praising his precious characters. The Knights proves corrupt and terrible, which we'll put a pin in for now.

Oh no, Szark is evil again...

Oh wait never mind. I actually remember this being more impressive when I first read it. In my mind the duel actually happened at this point, building tension before Szark did his feint move. As it is this is sort of anticlimactic, it's not like there was ever a chance that Szark was going to kill Scarlatti, and he sorta won by cheating. It was only because of the pause in the action caused by the Knights. And given that the Knights are corrupt, there's no reason that they would enforce any of it....

Except Siggy solves the problem with violence. This is obviously one of the reasons that people like Siggy, because he comes in representing the good cop versus all the corrupt ones. Still beats is shared out of people though, , Mookie does love having his righteous violence.

I guess Siggy just has enough feudal authority with his title to be able to just overrule everyone else here. And again this idea that after waiting until you can compel someone to confess to a crime seems crazy outside of this one specific context where we already know the truth.

Dominic and co arrive, and Mookie gets bored so he skips straight to this:

Okay this is one of the points where I feel DD is such a window into Mookie's psyche. This is Dominic's victory speech over Serk, and it really shows how much he thinks of justice as really righteous vengeance. It is also really stupid and self-contradictory as a plan. First I just want to note that it is hilarious that Dominic talks about his mom detaining the corrupt cops, just to underline the weird relationship he has with her. But here notice the wording that Dominic has of the end, "what I have done to you". Is this personalization of it that seems kinda creepy and really makes me think that this is a Mookie power fantasy.

Callan Caller has strong National Enquirer vibes, what with the alliterative headlines. First we have the jerk jock being revealed to be the jerk that he was, as the story was yet again revolve around that one dude who died months ago. I do find it funny however that Mookie makes his assumption that there would be instant outrage and sympathy over a sports star treating prostitutes or strippers badly. It's not a big thing because I understand why you would have this in the story but it just makes me think of star power and Mookie's allergy to thinking about things systemically. Brett, in Mookie's mind, is the isolated case among good people, and his misogyny is not in any way reflective of a broader problem in Callan society, even though all of his teammates were there supporting him.

Now here's the dumb. This is the gotcha that Dominic gets Serk with. The lady that was Szark's "first murder" helped Serk set up fronts to own different companies ( I guess Callan has incorporation law) so that he could secretly on them. Somehow the affairs of a wealthy family with ties to businesses and holdings all over the place were left a mystery after her death as if the vultures would be circling immediately. But the important thing is that it is illegal to own multiple businesses in Callan . But Dominic just said that the Countess purchased multiple businesses. Unless it means that she purchased and sold them in quick succession, this would seem to be immediately self-contradictory. I also love this hither-to unmentioned legal precedent that was not established anywhere that makes no sense and that is apparently so ironclad that the dude who has the FBI equivalent on the take can't find a way out of it. It's just all wrapped up in a neat little bow. This is story planning at it's very worst.

Love these incredibly specific Callanian laws. Conspiracy victims allowed to punch back seems like very oddly specific, and also not like something a feudal society would do it all, versus allowing you to kill the other people. I like the idea that stuff like this coexists with some sort of modern LLC law.

And this is how you know Serk isn't coming back his enemy because he is totally neutered as a threat to just cement the victory of the Deegan clan.

But the Battle for Barthis is not over! Despite having no antagonist anymore! We still have to have the benefit concert!

That ring again will not actually matter towards anything.

Oh it's another goofy one note character! And a pun! Sure makes all that build-up worth it!

Here are the infamous electric guitars. Which are electric in the sense that they get that by lightning and I guess just magically sound like they have amps? It makes me wonder if Mookie understands what an electric guitar is.

Creepy father-son bonding moment.

and the sisterly reconciliation with a character who will never come back. I don't actually hate this will chat between Luna and Mariella. She would not I actually have been a bad character to come back.

Just putting these together since I don't know what Mookie was going for here. He does understand the drama of a corrupt system, and Scarlatti does seem to be making good points about Callanian police brutality, but it again ends on a jokey pun. And while they idea that Callan is corrupt will come up again, it never comes up in exactly this way, focusing on the brutality within the justice system. It's like Mookie has these inklings of good stories and then runs away from them.

And I'll leave you with this comic here as the final strip in this post. A comic that I remember generating an enormous amount of ire and hatred at the time because of how smug and unlikable Dominic is in it. This is again something that Mookie thought was endearing for his protagonist to do. Imagine a D&D character who thought like this. No wonder his friends kicked him out.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 25, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This is a happy thanksgiving after all. Thanks for the update, The Little Death.

Guess we see the early draft of Dr. Hymn.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yesss what a treat, comics you can sink your teeth into! I love that Dominic’s crushing victory comes from there being multiple highly specific laws to take Serk down. As soon as it’s time for the good guys to win all those biased news outlets and oppressive laws just flip in their favor.

The Siggy and Scarlatti bit is actually...good though? There’s character growth for Sigfried, he and Scarlatti actually have an interesting dynamic and moralities, it’s too bad Mookie’s never learned when to end a scene and ruined it right at the end.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yes yes yes yes yes thank you the little death!

i can't believe that "you're only allowed to own one business in callan" like... lol why tho

way more entertaining than the legacy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I love that last panel, the closest to "righteous anger" Mookie can get is angry pouting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheHan posted:

The Siggy and Scarlatti bit is actually...good though? There’s character growth for Sigfried, he and Scarlatti actually have an interesting dynamic and moralities, it’s too bad Mookie’s never learned when to end a scene and ruined it right at the end.

It really does illustrate that even Mookie can manage to make a fairly decent character dynamic every once in a while, though it’s then immediately undercut by that hurricane of forced puns.

Having someone point out that despite claiming to be a changed man, Siggy’s still a violent rear end in a top hat who’s just become slightly better at directing it in the right places could have made for some future character development where he’s unnerved at just how accurate the accusation really is, and starts actively trying to resolve serious problems without resorting to violence so readily going forward.

Instead... :sigh: If I didn’t know that Mookie is such a “seat of my pants” writer, I could almost see that as some early foreshadowing for Siegfried’s ultimate fate in the story.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mx. posted:

way more entertaining than the legacy

True as this is, I think this feeling would've been more muted if it had properly taken us days to go through Dominic's victory speech to Serk, since it's over multiple strips. That would've been its own kind of unbearable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mx. posted:

yes yes yes yes yes thank you the little death!

i can't believe that "you're only allowed to own one business in callan" like... lol why tho
So Dominic can use that to gently caress up Brakkis. It's officially named the "Dominic Deegan Owns The poo poo Out of Serk Brakkis" law.

Also yes thank you for resuming!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dave has been elected King of Callan.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I’ll say it: enchanting guitars with lightning magic to make them sound like electric guitars is a cute silly idea that I wouldn’t mind seeing in someone’s DND game or something. It’s really the least offensive part of this whole sequence.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

YF-23 posted:

True as this is, I think this feeling would've been more muted if it had properly taken us days to go through Dominic's victory speech to Serk, since it's over multiple strips. That would've been its own kind of unbearable.

It would've been slow for sure, but I think by this point Mookie was doing daily updates. Personally I would've found it funny to see the new page go up and Dominic is still talking about how much he owned Serk. Dominic getting such an absolute victory that Serk shits his pants would've been a joke made in this thread but then Mookie goes and actually does it. It's amazing he had enough restraint to not bring Celesto in and explode Serk dick first.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Roleplaying Larry posted:

I’ll say it: enchanting guitars with lightning magic to make them sound like electric guitars is a cute silly idea that I wouldn’t mind seeing in someone’s DND game or something. It’s really the least offensive part of this whole sequence.

Same. If nothing else, I could easily handwave it as “it’s magic, it doesn’t have to conform to reality”, though... yeah, it’s still pretty jarring from the Medieval Lite setting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's very much the kind of inoffensive not-quite-a-joke you see a lot in webcomics and "light" sci-fi/fantasy. It has a very Holbrook quality to it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I do find it funny that Dominic smugly goes “Of course. How else would they make electric guitars?” As if it’s a concept that already exists in Deeganworld.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Using raw electricity as a 'speaker' to play music isn't impossible. The Maestro is probably the one thing I give Mookie a pass for because if this is his intent (and we all know it's not) it's pretty cool.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 26, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Doings silly fantastical things reads better when you trust the author knows how it actually works in reality.

Given that Mookie had them play acoustically with solid body guitars earlier, I'm not so sure he does.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

It's amazing he had enough restraint to not bring Celesto in and explode Serk dick first.
I want you to remember this in 40 or 50 comics.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh god, Mookie...in the meantime...

It took 4 pages to get here.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

i know this isn't even mildly amusing to say anymore but: a comic with no dialogue!!!!!

mookie lacks the imagination to come up with such complex visual storytelling like snout running up to them and pushing them apart with an exasperated expression. or if snout can be bigger than them in dreamworld, then he can just pick them up and glare at them. anything!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Snout's true power has been unlocked! He has become the champion of balance, standing on the precipice between ink and paper! He is the wizard of words! And his penis is bigger than Arudak's!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He still has literally no idea why they're arguing, but he needs to put a stop to it because ???

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

He still has literally no idea why they're arguing, but he needs to put a stop to it because ???

Eh I don't have a problem with that. This is the equivalent of your neighbors being loud at night and waking you up except they're magically directly in your dreams.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm just sick of the constant nudity. I think I would care about it less if it was competently drawn but it's just, not. I feel like I'm reading a 13 year old's first goes that he'd die of embarrassment if anyone else saw, but instead it's a grown rear end man gleefully showing us his incompetently drawn titties and hosed up balls.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Feet really are hard to draw, huh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

I'm just sick of the constant nudity. I think I would care about it less if it was competently drawn but it's just, not. I feel like I'm reading a 13 year old's first goes that he'd die of embarrassment if anyone else saw, but instead it's a grown rear end man gleefully showing us his incompetently drawn titties and hosed up balls.

Are you saying that boobs aren't just semicircles and men don't have one football shaped nut?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Samovar posted:

Feet really are hard to draw, huh.

and legs and arms and waists and hips and dicks and balls and boobs and eyes and faces

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It’d at least be kind of funny if there was still nudity, but with increasingly implausibly-positioned objects in the scenery to hide the naughty bits.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly what really bothers me is that all the women apparently shave this tiny part of the labia but leave the rest of the bush intact. Feel like it's some fetish I don't know about.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Tesseraction posted:

incompetently drawn titties and hosed up balls.

thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GreenMetalSun posted:

Honestly what really bothers me is that all the women apparently shave this tiny part of the labia but leave the rest of the bush intact. Feel like it's some fetish I don't know about.

And like I pointed out earlier, the Ink Witch used to have full bush. But Mookie changed his mind at some point and now they have inexplicable bush staches.