Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

no broccoli please posted:

Anyone else still waiting on the Cowboy Bebop record from Milan? I know it's only been like a week since release, I'm just antsy.

(Raises paw)

I did finally get my K-Mart record the other day. Just shy of 9 months since ordering it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone else still waiting on the Cowboy Bebop record from Milan? I know it's only been like a week since release, I'm just antsy.

Mine randomly came one day. No follow up charge for the pre order or shipping notification. Just showed up this past Monday.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm still waiting on Cowboy Bebop from Milan records as well. Last I checked no shipping notices in my email. I'm not too antsy since my setup is down temporarily anyways. Also I'm not bothering with RSD black friday since I didn't see anything I liked. After doing this year's three drops I'm already over it and kinda suprised that I reached this attitude so quickly. Part of it is most of what I bought wound up being disappointing to me, whether it was something I wanted or an impulse buy. The final annoyance was underestimating the limitedness of the UFO Live at Youngstown record and not being able to get it. I think from now on unless I want something bad enough to be up at 6 am in line for it I'm not going to bother. Hell, I just remembered one of the shops I went to this year, the clerk told me they were going to phase out doing RSD because it was too much a pain in the rear end for them to do.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

dorium posted:

Mine randomly came one day. No follow up charge for the pre order or shipping notification. Just showed up this past Monday.

Same verbatim. I even moved 3 months ago and sent them a second follow up email to confirm the address change and it showed up at my new place without any notification or response to that email.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got to the store 10 minutes before open, #6 in line. Everybody else was there for the Let it Bleed so I got what I wanted!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Just found there was a "Rocktober" release on Oct 30th of The Crow Soundtrack. I never find out about these in a timely manner.

https://www.rhino.com/product/the-crow-soundtrack-black-vinyl-with-etching#black-vinyl-with-etching

Anyone know where this might be in stock or are they up to scalper prices already?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

cosmicjim posted:

Just found there was a "Rocktober" release on Oct 30th of The Crow Soundtrack. I never find out about these in a timely manner.

https://www.rhino.com/product/the-crow-soundtrack-black-vinyl-with-etching#black-vinyl-with-etching

Anyone know where this might be in stock or are they up to scalper prices already?

Lots of copies on discogs. Amazon has it for $50. I dunno if those are the versions or prices you want though. I always check discogs first. It usually gives me an idea of what I might find on other sites price wise.

I received mine last week. I didn't get an email but my order page had a tracking number.

phosdex posted:

Got to the store 10 minutes before open, #6 in line. Everybody else was there for the Let it Bleed so I got what I wanted!

drat. loving love when they make you buy a set of records/cds bric a brac when most people just want the MONO version.

I remember my first RSD. Had no idea what to expect but I had done Free Comic Day that year so I thought there might be some freebies and stuff, maybe some people from labels or bands hanging out. LOL nope. I just remember seeing a few overpriced 7in records. I think they were $15-20 for some basic repos of stuff I already had ($1 bin finds). Plus it was crowded with middle aged Blues Dad types so I bounced pretty quick. I have happened in a few times after the dust settled later in the day and never found anything good left over. Except one time I found this and thought it was cool. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Girls-In-The-Garage-Volume-9-Oriental-Special/release/10168773

Last week I received
Cowboy Bebop, Escape From New York, Mort Garson Music From the Patch Cord, Golden Boots Night Drive, and Sparkle Division To Feel Embraced. I need to slow down and actually listen to some stuff. Pandemic got me in a record buying frenzy. Basically replaced eating and drinking out with vinyl.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 27, 2020

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

sporklift posted:

I received mine last week. I didn't get an email but my order page had a tracking number.

Oh good to know, thanks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So I fell into the RSD khole again. When to my local spot with "whatever I can get" on my list. Walked out with KSG, Sharon jones, and Chicano Batman and immediately went online FOMO mode for

Eliot smith
sun o))))
Bombino

Lemme tell you though, this Sharon is a stunner. Tons of covers that make me miss her and the band even more.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Milla's album currently being scalped on Discogs for $70, booooooooooooooooo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TBH I kinda figured that was going to go for insane flips it was her first and only album. I'll probably flip the Elliot smith though, seeing how $900 and $1800 dollar version of his second album are acceptable I don't feel bad fleecing rich ES fans.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 27, 2020

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

incoherent posted:

So I fell into the RSD khole again. When to my local spot with "whatever I can get" on my list. Walked out with KSG, Sharon jones, and Chicano Batman and immediately went online FOMO mode for

Eliot smith
sun o))))
Bombino

Lemme tell you though, this Sharon is a stunner. Tons of covers that make me miss her and the band even more.

poo poo. I forgot about that Sharron Jones. Wonder if it will get a wider release?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i don't think it will but copies on discogs under $20 are plentiful

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I love how all the old punk, indie, DIY, and blues records all sell for prices that the people on those records wouldn't have been able to afford.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I love how all the old punk, indie, DIY, and blues records all sell for prices that the people on those records wouldn't have been able to afford.

number 1 reason why i like the punk shop near my place. They know they could charge out the wazoo for some of the rarer punk records they got, but the most i've seen one get let go for was an original pressing of Black Flag 'Damaged' for $80 with the plastic still on it and the "anti-parent" sticker and a lyric sheet. Discogs and the other shops around me would've charged at least $150-$200 for something similar.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

incoherent posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I just called my LRS and they still had a bunch of copies so I just walked in and snagged one. So I guess this year's RSD was a success for me anyhow.

CPL593H posted:

I have a couple friends who were old school punk kids. Now they are owners of businesses with kids in private schools and poo poo. They still listen to that stuff but probably have OG copies. Same thing happened with the boomers which is why a dumb reissue of Let it Bleed sold out in seconds.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dorium posted:

number 1 reason why i like the punk shop near my place. They know they could charge out the wazoo for some of the rarer punk records they got, but the most i've seen one get let go for was an original pressing of Black Flag 'Damaged' for $80 with the plastic still on it and the "anti-parent" sticker and a lyric sheet. Discogs and the other shops around me would've charged at least $150-$200 for something similar.

Yeah I saw a first pressing, textured cover of Unknown Pleasures for $60 and I didn’t buy it :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I saw a first pressing, textured cover of Unknown Pleasures for $60 and I didn’t buy it :smith:

we all live with regrets... so many.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Not quite as exciting as a first pressing of Unknown Pleasures, but the copy of Closer I have is a German first pressing that I stumbled upon for 15 bucks several years back. I was very pleased with that purchase.

edit: There were at least half a dozen times I stood in Newbury Comics holding a copy of Byrne and Eno's Everything that Happens Will Happen Today for 20 bucks and I was like "Ah, I'll get it later. I already have the CD.".

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

sporklift posted:

I have a couple friends who were old school punk kids. Now they are owners of businesses with kids in private schools and poo poo. They still listen to that stuff but probably have OG copies. Same thing happened with the boomers which is why a dumb reissue of Let it Bleed sold out in seconds.

That Let It Bleed release might be the single most embarrassing thing ever released. $99 for the most boring, unremarkable packaging and a really ugly color pressing of one of the most widely available albums. And it got snapped up in seconds. What the gently caress

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

That Let It Bleed release might be the single most embarrassing thing ever released. $99 for the most boring, unremarkable packaging and a really ugly color pressing of one of the most widely available albums. And it got snapped up in seconds. What the gently caress

It's not even that good of an album either. And on the subject of unnecessary and embarrassing RSD boomer albums, remember the double LP half speed mastered edition of Fleetwood Mac Rumors?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry posted:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=let+it+bleed+2020&_sacat=0

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/16265781?ev=rb

The best thing this release has given us is the dude at The 'In' Groove making fun of it on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADwI9cpz3Dk

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So on occasion I've noticed that on some records (particularly hip hop) the audio becomes more distorted as it nears the end of a side, with words using a hard "S" prominently sounding blown out. My tonearm is balanced and cartridge is aligned. Is this an issue with the needle/cartridge, my receiver, the record itself, or ????

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Hah, I was curious what the album looked like and came across that video this morning. Keep up the good fight, record store guy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ballz posted:

So on occasion I've noticed that on some records (particularly hip hop) the audio becomes more distorted as it nears the end of a side, with words using a hard "S" prominently sounding blown out. My tonearm is balanced and cartridge is aligned. Is this an issue with the needle/cartridge, my receiver, the record itself, or ????

Sibilance

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Holy poo poo. I thought this was it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XKJVH62/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YXBWFbCB64F5Y
The actual RSD version hahahahahaha.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What could be the cause of it? It seems to worsen the closer to the end of a side is reached, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of issue with the cartridge or tonearm. But could it be the record itself is a poor pressing?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought this was it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XKJVH62/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YXBWFbCB64F5Y
The actual RSD version hahahahahaha.

That's probably worth the $80+ bucks there (i know next to nothing about Stones pressings and what to look for as I dont give them much thought), but this "Hand poured, artisanal record" definitely not looking like its worth the $100 asking price.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Ballz posted:

Sibilance as mentioned above. You can adjust cartridge alignment to address it, but it's just the nature of physical media. Anything you do too counter act sibilance on the inner edge will give you sibilance on the outer edge. Essentially, the angle of the cartridge changes as the tone arm moves from the outter edge to the inner edge of the record. Supposedly linear tracking arms are designed to eliminate this effect.

Back in The Day, albums were typically pressed with quieter songs or ballads as the last track on each side because of sibilance. Newer albums could ignore this because there's no limit to storage or sibilance concerns because of loudness or the track order.

It's kinda neat, imo, if you consider how much the nature of physical media has influenced music. Very early shellac records and cylinders held just under 4 minutes of sound and typical pop songs to this day still have a run time close to that length.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. My uMusic order was delivered Monday. (Clones of Dr. Funkenstein and In The Wee Small Hours) Hopefully everyone itt has received their orders too!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

There is some really stunning hand poured vinyl out there.

http://canjournal.org/2017/05/magical-wax-playable-art-wax-mage-records/
https://www.instagram.com/waxmagerecords/

That Rolling Stones record ain't it. My $10 Bob Marley rasta wax looks better.

Edit: LOL there is a Doritos filled record...

https://www.instagram.com/romanuscustomvinylmfg/

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 28, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

That's probably worth the $80+ bucks .

Nah.

sporklift posted:

Edit: LOL there is a Doritos filled record...

https://www.instagram.com/romanuscustomvinylmfg/

Somewhere out there Jack White is absolutely livid that he didn't think of it first.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

CPL593H posted:

It's not even that good of an album either.

It's my favourite Stones album, mostly on the strength of Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man, but I'm totally happy with my copy with a beat up sleeve and ok condition record that I got for 10 bucks. RSD poo poo is ridiculous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's my favourite Stones album, mostly on the strength of Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man, but I'm totally happy with my copy with a beat up sleeve and ok condition record that I got for 10 bucks. RSD poo poo is ridiculous.

It's not terrible or anything and Monkey Man rules but it's just an okay album. I don't care all that much about the post-Brian Jones stuff anymore and the only Stones albums I ever find myself listening to anymore are Satanic Majesties and Between the Buttons. You can probably get a first pressing of Let it Bleed for under a hundred dollars, I don't know who that stupid reissue is for but its worth it for that video linked above.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Stones die-hards I imagine. If that thread on SteveHoffman forums is anything to go by (its mostly people complaining about the same poo poo we complain about except one dude who is on a very high horse about 'unboxing' and how adults dont need that kinda stuff or something).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It's not terrible or anything and Monkey Man rules but it's just an okay album. I don't care all that much about the post-Brian Jones stuff anymore and the only Stones albums I ever find myself listening to anymore are Satanic Majesties and Between the Buttons. You can probably get a first pressing of Let it Bleed for under a hundred dollars, I don't know who that stupid reissue is for but its worth it for that video linked above.

the older I get, the more I like Satanic Majesties.

I got a copy of goats head soup in the big sale and it's alright, it's nice to have a nice copy of it (I only got the basic black single-disc 2020 pressing) but it's... like, it doesn't feel like any risks were taken on GHS. TSMR is batshit, and its best moments (citadel, light years, rainbow) are all-timers in some parallel universe but ignored here.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

the older I get, the more I like Satanic Majesties.

I got a copy of goats head soup in the big sale and it's alright, it's nice to have a nice copy of it (I only got the basic black single-disc 2020 pressing) but it's... like, it doesn't feel like any risks were taken on GHS. TSMR is batshit, and its best moments (citadel, light years, rainbow) are all-timers in some parallel universe but ignored here.

Satanic Majesties is like a look into a direction the Stones never took out of sheer cowardice. Aside from being unfairly dismissed as a Sgt. Pepper rip off people just didn't get it and the squares were pissed off. So the band went in the safe direction and just keep doing a bunch of increasingly boring blues rock. It is by far the best thing the Rolling Stones ever did.

dorium posted:

Stones die-hards I imagine. If that thread on SteveHoffman forums is anything to go by (its mostly people complaining about the same poo poo we complain about except one dude who is on a very high horse about 'unboxing' and how adults dont need that kinda stuff or something).

In all fairness unboxing videos are really loving stupid and I have no idea why people watch them and how they're so popular. At a time when you have unlimited access to thousands and thousands of hours of entertainment why the gently caress does someone want to sit down and watch some dipshit taking a Playstation out of the box and describing the packaging materials for twenty five minutes?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

In all fairness unboxing videos are really loving stupid and I have no idea why people watch them and how they're so popular. At a time when you have unlimited access to thousands and thousands of hours of entertainment why the gently caress does someone want to sit down and watch some dipshit taking a Playstation out of the box and describing the packaging materials for twenty five minutes?

mouth feel

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Nah.

Somewhere out there Jack White is absolutely livid that he didn't think of it first.

It comes with the record in stereo and mono, two SACDs of the same, a book, a single, some prints and a poster, I wouldn’t pay $80 because I don’t care about the Stones but I would pay $65 if it were White Stripes. Point is, you’re getting something for your shekels with it, unlike the pretty disc in a regular-rear end jacket and non-poly-lined picture sleeve

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Satanic Majesties is like a look into a direction the Stones never took out of sheer cowardice. Aside from being unfairly dismissed as a Sgt. Pepper rip off people just didn't get it and the squares were pissed off. So the band went in the safe direction and just keep doing a bunch of increasingly boring blues rock. It is by far the best thing the Rolling Stones ever did.

Gomper is a jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Here's the thing - in 20 years these are going to be worth the same as any other pressing of Let It Bleed. The album is readily available. Just a cool vinyl variant doesn't make it more interesting.

Stuff like this is stuff where in a just world, there would be a 200% sales tax on it, because if you have the money to spend 100 bucks on a record but the only thing different about it is that it is multicolored, then you have too much money.