Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I also just watched that Technology Connections video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bony tony posted:

I'm gonna drink a lava lamp.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"The Greeks" had no opinion on the function of the brain.
To put it another way, the cultural context for the joke didn't exist at any point in ancient Greece.
It's a modern punchline added to an anecdote from Diogenes's writings. It looks like it came from some book which had fictional dialogues that escaped into the wild.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

Aside from everything else about it, this is obviously not an authentic quote since the Greeks (and most people throughout history) didn't think of the brain as where intelligence is stored. That's a modern thing.

quote:

Well, this was a merry tour of the recesses of the Internet!

I began by repeating the search you already made. The first thing that struck me is how many people have copied the story across the web, often rephrasing it, but without ever changing or adding to its elements. As you already noticed, there doesn't seem to be any further ancient source behind it. The anecdote must therefore be a modern elaboration on Diogenes Laertios 6.54, which hasn't existed long enough to pick up further embellishments.

Google yields the most likely culprit: Michael Boylan and Charles Johnson (eds.), Philosophy: An Innovative Introduction: Fictive Narrative, Primary Texts, and Responsive Writing (2010, reprinted 2018). This book uses short fictional stories as a way to introduce and teach philosophical concepts. One of its stories, 'The Cynic' by Charles Johnson, is told from Plato's perspective; it includes the anecdote in Diogenes Laertios, but then extends it with the exact riposte you've found elsewhere. It even gives us the pacing and phrasing that is common (with minor variations) to most of the versions this anecdote takes online.

It seems pretty obvious that this didactic fiction is the origin (and the reason) behind the extended anecdote. It is not historical. It does not occur in this form anywhere in the sources, and does not occur anywhere on the internet in a form that is demonstrably independent of Johnson's story.

The only problem is that you found three websites apparently dated to 2001, nine years before Boylan and Johnson published their story. However, as you said, the dates are all identical and this seems to be an issue with Google. When you go to the actual page and check the page info, you find that this one was actually published in 2015 and this one was first published in 2013 but edited as recently as 2018. The only one I couldn't verify was the broken PDF, but the pattern seems clear enough to assume that one also postdates 2010. If you change the Google search to show all results up to 31 December 2009, it adds only one page, which was published in 2009 but edited in 2018.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/b4jlu3/what_is_the_original_source_claiming_that/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright so he was a dick, just like many modern scientists are. I'm pretty sure he didn't burn people alive or otherwise execute them for (slightly) disagreeing with him, so he's still far ahead of the pope and all the other religious fanatics of various flavors who had way too much power in Europe at this time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tunicate posted:

that's basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, Semmelweiss' TRUE belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?'

Semmelweis certainly didn't believe it was a contagious disease - he's on record saying it definitely isn't!

People asked him for more data (since childbed fever was a disease that was well known to come in outbreaks, and he could have gotten lucky). He didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS - and in the meantime, even in his handwashing ward there was another outbreak of childbed fever.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, he revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to say 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Ack, someone needs to update his wikipedia page!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Torquemada posted:

Ack, someone needs to update his wikipedia page!

I’m sure editors have had dozens of pages of edit war over it already.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

I’m sure editors have had dozens of pages of edit war over it already.

tbf, they also have edit wars over punctuation and spelling

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The names of wedding anniversaries (gold, paper, diamond) etc are derived from the gift you would traditionally give to your spouse on the corresponding anniversary. This is INCREDIBLY obvious in hindsight, but for some reason this never clicked for me until I was looking it up on wikipedia for an unrelated reason, I somehow just thought they were unrelated arbitrary names.

quote:

The historic origins of wedding anniversaries date back to the Holy Roman Empire, when husbands crowned their wives with a silver wreath on their twenty-fifth anniversary, and a gold wreath on the fiftieth.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Covski posted:

The names of wedding anniversaries (gold, paper, diamond) etc are derived from the gift you would traditionally give to your spouse on the corresponding anniversary.

my wife and i celebrate our meat wedding every time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Covski posted:

The names of wedding anniversaries (gold, paper, diamond) etc are derived from the gift you would traditionally give to your spouse on the corresponding anniversary. This is INCREDIBLY obvious in hindsight, but for some reason this never clicked for me until I was looking it up on wikipedia for an unrelated reason, I somehow just thought they were unrelated arbitrary names.

I would like a source for that, because that doesn't seem obvious to me at all (except as a cognate to like medals)

fwiw, "Guldbryllup" is mentioned in Danish newspapers in the late 1700s.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bony tony posted:

It's a really good youtube channel.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tunicate posted:

that's basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, Semmelweiss' TRUE belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?'

Semmelweis certainly didn't believe it was a contagious disease - he's on record saying it definitely isn't!

People asked him for more data (since childbed fever was a disease that was well known to come in outbreaks, and he could have gotten lucky). He didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS - and in the meantime, even in his handwashing ward there was another outbreak of childbed fever.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, he revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to say 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

If true I am quite relieved. I was genuinely upset for a while yesterday for this long-deceased person. I am well aware that life is never, ever fair but the irony of everything seemed a bit much. :( I am still empathetic but less troubled now :lol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

If true I am quite relieved. I was genuinely upset for a while yesterday for this long-deceased person. I am well aware that life is never, ever fair but the irony of everything seemed a bit much. :( I am still empathetic but less troubled now :lol:

Then you shouldn't read this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3749916&pagenumber=201&perpage=40#post495857184

Medicine and surgery are probably among the places where it's most immediately obvious how much Strong Men can gently caress poo poo up. So many big egos through the ages, patriarchs and bigots. So many lives lost.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm gonna drink a lava lamp.

This gave me flashbacks to a night of over a dozen people on shrooms when someone bumped the lamp over. I had to gather all of my faculties to explain that it would not, in fact, be really fun to drink. In retrospect hedonistic college years taught me how to deal with small children in a lot of ways.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Carthag Tuek posted:

Then you shouldn't read this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3749916&pagenumber=201&perpage=40#post495857184

Medicine and surgery are probably among the places where it's most immediately obvious how much Strong Men can gently caress poo poo up. So many big egos through the ages, patriarchs and bigots. So many lives lost.

While of course I've a great deal of sympathy for women being maligned, mistreated, and scorned in professional fields (especially medicine), it was the particulars of Semmelweiss' story that really got to me. Per Wikipedia he had been genuinely invested in saving lives and had devoted himself to reducing the mortality rate of his clinic, with impressive and scientifically accurate results (again, per Wikipedia) that were dismissed out of hand. That of course isn't uncommon with figures like him and the doctor you discussed, as well. Becoming a laughingstock and then spending the next twenty years in an increasingly damaging spiral of mental health -- and then being committed for it -- though, that was pretty distressing to me. And then dying two weeks after being put in that asylum due to an infected wound he no doubt would have been able to treat himself under normal circumstances -- sometimes my empathy hits me a little too hard at unexpected times and I did not like any of that at all. :( It seemed desperately cruel and unfair even by life's typical standards.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Really just in general stories that end in mental breakdowns and insane asylums upset me :( I love horror movies but that subgenre is one I can't watch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry, re-reading my old post, I've clearly skipped over Levy being the main promotor of surgical sterility in Denmark and Howitz being too big a deal to let some Jew doctor tell him what to do, all the while Nielsen could tell who was right but had no voice. There's a lot of meat in her diaries, but I guess they haven't been translated into English.

Anyway, I guess dying two weeks after you get comitted to a 19th century mental asylum is a blessing in disguise

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Carthag Tuek posted:

Anyway, I guess dying two weeks after you get comitted to a 19th century mental asylum is a blessing in disguise

:lol: yup, I'm sure you're right on that account

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sorry, re-reading my old post, I've clearly skipped over Levy being the main promotor of surgical sterility in Denmark and Howitz being too big a deal to let some Jew doctor tell him what to do, all the while Nielsen could tell who was right but had no voice. There's a lot of meat in her diaries, but I guess they haven't been translated into English.

The only other good outcome is like Sweeney Todd or something

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Here's something dumb and pointless I just bothered to look into: Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlett Witch, is the sister of the Olsen Twins from full house. It only twigged for me because I saw some ad for a clickbait article "you won't believe what they look like now!" with the adult twins and I was like huh, looks like Scarlett Witch.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's the Wikipedia article for Semmelweis, should anybody else be curious, because I looked him up after reading your post and am so distressed over the way this person's life panned out. Jesus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

Literally a really good poster.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:shobon: :h: spreading misinformation though apparently! :lmao:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:shobon: :h: spreading misinformation though apparently! :lmao:

Well, flattening tends to happen with pop history articles - it is a lot easier to do a quick article with a simplified stories that matches preconceived notions/grudges than it is to dig in on what people at the time believed and why, and quick easy stories are a heck of a lot more emotionally gripping.

Personally I am just glad that the round earth Columbus thing is finally out of the public consciousness. Small victories!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Carthag Tuek posted:

I would like a source for that, because that doesn't seem obvious to me at all (except as a cognate to like medals)

fwiw, "Guldbryllup" is mentioned in Danish newspapers in the late 1700s.

My revelation was entirely based on this wikipedia article!

It's worth noting that the HRE thing is left as "citation needed", so it's very unclear when in this 1000 year period this tradition started.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wedding_anniversary&diff=289768679&oldid=289759661

eleven and a half years ago, the roman wreath bit was added, still unsourced. gotta love wikipedia

e: lmao the comment on the edit that put the citation needed tag there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wedding_anniversary&diff=897261286&oldid=894934433

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lol:

Thing I can't believe I just figured out: Pillsbury baked goods. For those unfamiliar, they're premade to-be-baked tasties such as croissants ("crescents") and cinnamon rolls and biscuits. They come in a tube that's scored all the way down in a spiral and, the package advises you, just unwrap it and press a spoon against one of the seams; the tube will pop open and you're good to go.

Except that never works for me. Are my spoons weak? Am I weak? Is every Pillsbury tube I purchase defective or am I somehow pressing a spoon against a pre-scored seam wrong? I always end up bashing them against the counter and my roommate thinks me batty. I have so much trouble with the drat things. I don't understand at all.

Today I realized I can just give the little poo poo a quick untwist motion and boom. Open Sesame Pillsbury.

I feel at once triumphant and very, very stupid. :sigh:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oof, been there :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thing I can't believe I just figured out: Pillsbury baked goods. For those unfamiliar, they're premade to-be-baked tasties such as croissants ("crescents") and cinnamon rolls and biscuits. They come in a tube that's scored all the way down in a spiral and, the package advises you, just unwrap it and press a spoon against one of the seams; the tube will pop open and you're good to go.

Except that never works for me. Are my spoons weak? Am I weak? Is every Pillsbury tube I purchase defective or am I somehow pressing a spoon against a pre-scored seam wrong? I always end up bashing them against the counter and my roommate thinks me batty. I have so much trouble with the drat things. I don't understand at all.

Today I realized I can just give the little poo poo a quick untwist motion and boom. Open Sesame Pillsbury.

:aaa:

WHAT!

MY ENTIRE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE!

I can't believe I went this long not even TRYING that

Don't feel bad, Bird, I'm far stupider since I'm at least 15+ years older than you.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm helping! :buddy:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I only ever opened it like that, and I still pretend to hulk out ripping into a can of dough.

*PIFF*

I never even noticed directions for a spoon. This is some berenstain bears poo poo.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
The correct way to parse "waste not, want not" is "those who don't waste things will never want for anything", as in "find themselves in need".

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:aaa:

Why the hell didn't I ever think of that.

I always struggled with those things as well, I thought I was just stupid for not being able to use the spoon. Here I'm just stupid for a different reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought twisting it open was what everyone did....

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It is also preferable to the spoon method as there's no chance of mashing any of the contents beyond usability with your great baker strength.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Big Spoon has a lot to answer for here.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

All the Pillsbury things I recall have a paper thing you pull, and it unwraps in a spiral until the inner pressure overcomes the now weak and flimsy paper and BAMPs outwards. Am I crazy here? What's this spoon business?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Edit: Double post somehow, dunno how this happened

John Lee has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Nov 28, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I do the whack on the counter edge most of the time. Spoons are for chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

John Lee posted:

All the Pillsbury things I recall have a paper thing you pull, and it unwraps in a spiral until the inner pressure overcomes the now weak and flimsy paper and BAMPs outwards. Am I crazy here? What's this spoon business?

You're not crazy, but goons gonna goon