Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

if you use joints instead you can count in hex!

Explain. I'm guessing the tips count along with the joints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That said, many languages show linguistic remnants of a previous base-20 system, meaning that the language can adapt. It'd just be a giant pain.

'Four score and seven years ago' :hist101:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

JustaDamnFool posted:

If the superior calendar had not been torn down by heartless reactionaries, today would be quintidi 5 Frimaire; celebrating the noble pig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX7Bw6HLWQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfw9ZcrEum0

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just saying my complete inability to count in french has convinced me that trying to teach an average person to count in different bases is nearly impossible.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

PittTheElder posted:

Explain. I'm guessing the tips count along with the joints?

right. you could also count on segments but use the bit of your palm just below each finger as a segment

cheetah7071 posted:

16 is even worse than 10 if you're not a computer

being able to divide by powers of 2 easily is great and the only disadvantage is having a slightly larger number of numerals to learn

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJsoZheTR4

There's some neat patterns that you can see when you plot out the multiplication table for base 12 that might make things easier to learn if that was your native base. I used to do stuff like this a lot when I was bored to kill time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2 4 6 8 A 10 12
3 6 9 10 13 16 19
4 8 10 14 18 20 24
5 A 13 18 21 26 2B
6 10 16 20 26 30 36
7 12 19 24 2B 36 41
8 14 20 28 34 40 48
9 16 23 30 39 46 53
A 18 26 34 43 50 5A
B 1A 29 38 48 56 65
10 20 30 40 50 60 70

There's also the fact that 6 is about the limit of the amount of things in a group that people can easily tell the number of in a group, so if you see that there's more than you can count on a glance, then if you just draw a line in the middle of the things you're counting, you can pretty quickly tell the amounts.

cheetah7071 posted:

At this point we've been using base 10 for so long that every major language has base-10 number words and as much as I love 12 a switch probably ain't happening. That said, many languages show linguistic remnants of a previous base-20 system, meaning that the language can adapt. It'd just be a giant pain.

That's not really accurate to the description of language. Not even english is really definitively base 10, our language is kinda screwy until 20, and it's not hard to imagine mixing things around so you count tenteen and eleventeen and then through the later numbers count twenty nine, twenty ten, twenty eleven, thirty. Eleven may have a weird rhythm when counting, but so does 7.

And then french is naturally base 20, there's probably a lot more but I don't know much language. There are some bodypart counting systems that go way past 20. Roman numerals aren't really a base, but are mainly built around denoting measures of 5, but then there were also a lot of people who used greek numerals in the ancient world, and a lot of calculations were done with the abacus, that I don't really understand.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

if you use joints instead you can count in hex!
:aaa: Oh poo poo, that is really cool. Never thought of it. And 256 on both hands.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you want to count really big numbers, counting in binary on both hands will take you all the way to 1023.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Mayan numerals use base 20.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

cheetah7071 posted:

365 has annoyingly few factors--73*5. So if you want to break down the year in an intelligent way you need like 5 months of 73 days each. Or maybe 73 5-day weeks and don't bother with months at all. And that's not even touching on leap year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

13 months of 28 days, plus one "Year Day" (or two for Leap Years)

Weekdays are consistent through months, which is pretty neat.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

sebzilla posted:

so if you abolish friday the 13th but add an entire 13th month, does the year as a whole become more or less unlucky

numerologists please advise

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

numerologists please advise

Hang on, I gotta go buy a chicken for this one

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

AFashionableHat posted:

Hang on, I gotta go buy a chicken for this one

*rolls eyes

*hoofs off to Delphi with gold tripod

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sebzilla posted:

...I kinda wish this happened, cast down the lunar months with their false gods

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

This is a good rear end calendar, except maybe the part about one of the extra days being Christmas instead of just New Years Day or whatevs.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

sebzilla posted:

Not so neat for the poor schmucks whose birthday always falls on a Wednesday.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The problem with the meter is that it's infuriatingly sloppy.

Like first they defined a meter as exactly one forty millionth of the circumference around the earth, but hosed it up because they got their measurements wrong so the planet is too big, and there isn't a great circle that's actually 40Mm anywhere on Earth.

Then they defined it based on the speed of light, but were unwilling to just bite the bullet and make it a nice, proper, scientific ratio, so once more the number is irritatingly close to being even, but not quite right.

We need to add some leap meters per second, and dig a loving trench.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PittTheElder posted:

If you want to count really big numbers, counting in binary on both hands will take you all the way to 1023.

If you count in binary using the joints on both hands you can go all the way up to 65,535

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fuschia tude posted:

If you count in binary using the joints on both hands you can go all the way up to 65,535

This works with finger counting (up to 1024), since you can raise or lower fingers to set the bits, but how do you remember which bits are set on finger joints?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This works with finger counting (up to 1024), since you can raise or lower fingers to set the bits, but how do you remember which bits are set on finger joints?
look at this guy

no rings

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Elissimpark posted:

*rolls eyes

*hoofs off to Delphi with gold tripod

We can't all be centaurs or satyrs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Imagine if they just designed the meter so that the earth's gravitational pull was about 10 m/s.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine if they just designed the meter so that the earth's gravitational pull was about 10 m/s.

they would have made it a round number using metric seconds though

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

sullat posted:

Maybe, I think I got the Scythians and Spartans confused.

I think it's xenophon. And it was for old infertile or gay men. You had to find a hottie for your wife if you could not do it yourself.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the JJ posted:

I think it's xenophon. And it was for old infertile or gay men. You had to find a hottie for your wife if you could not do it yourself.

Ah, found the quote:

Xenophon, Spartan Society posted:

He observed, however, that where an old man happened to have a young wife, he tended to keep a very jealous watch on her. So he planned to prevent this too, by arranging that for the production of children the elderly husband should introduce to his wife any man whose physique and personality he admired. Further, should a man not wish to be married, but still be eager to have remarkable children, Lycurgus also made it lawful for him to have children by any fertile and well-bred woman who came to his attention, subject to her husband's consent. And he would approve many such arrangements. For the women want to have two households, while the men want to acquire for their sons brothers who would form part of the family and its influence, but would have no claim on the estate.

I think there's a similar passage in Plutarch too, though.

Edit: Found it!

Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus 16 posted:

6 After giving marriage such traits of reserve and decorum, he none the less freed men from the empty and womanish passion of jealous possession, by making it honourable for them, while keeping the marriage relation free from all wanton irregularities, to share with other worthy men in the begetting of children, laughing to scorn those who regard such common privileges as intolerable, and resort to murder and war rather than grant them. 7 For example, an elderly man with a young wife, if he looked with favour and esteem on some fair and noble young man, might introduce him to her, and adopt her offspring by such a noble father as his own. And again, a worthy man who admired some woman for the fine children that she bore her husband and the modesty of her behaviour as a wife, might enjoy her favours, if her husband would consent, thus planting, as it were, in a soil of bountiful fruitage, and begetting for himself noble sons, who would have the blood of noble men in their veins.

I believe there are also some passages suggesting that outright Tibetan-style fraternal polyandry was sometimes practiced in Sparta.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 27, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The problem with the meter is that it's infuriatingly sloppy.

Like first they defined a meter as exactly one forty millionth of the circumference around the earth, but hosed it up because they got their measurements wrong so the planet is too big, and there isn't a great circle that's actually 40Mm anywhere on Earth.

Then they defined it based on the speed of light, but were unwilling to just bite the bullet and make it a nice, proper, scientific ratio, so once more the number is irritatingly close to being even, but not quite right.

We need to add some leap meters per second, and dig a loving trench.

There was actually a meter rod Iirc

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Silver2195 posted:

I believe there are also some passages suggesting that outright Tibetan-style fraternal polyandry was sometimes practiced in Sparta.

I'm suffering from insomnia right now and I'm really enjoying the phrase "Tibetan-style fraternal polyandry"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

There was actually a meter rod Iirc

yeah they originally had it based on the earth, got that measurement wrong, then built a rod based on that measurement because it's unwieldy to carry around a reference planet

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Another reason to go back to the cubit!

*holds up bag of severed forearms

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

yeah they originally had it based on the earth, got that measurement wrong, then built a rod based on that measurement because it's unwieldy to carry around a reference planet

Those people sorely in need of education re: levers

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PittTheElder posted:

Those people sorely in need of education re: levers

Levers are easy, but fixed points are hard to find.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Another reason to go back to the cubit!

*holds up bag of severed forearms

The city I used to live in actually had an "official" length of a cubit engraved into a plaque and set into a wall around the marketplace. No doubt because people kept arguing whose forearm should be the definitive one. :allears:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was trying to remember where the cubit was allegedly based on the monarch's arm, so I went to Wikipedia.

My god, so many different official lengths depending where and when you are! And I thought the different volumes of "cup" were annoying.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Elissimpark posted:

I was trying to remember where the cubit was allegedly based on the monarch's arm, so I went to Wikipedia.

My god, so many different official lengths depending where and when you are! And I thought the different volumes of "cup" were annoying.

A cup isn't always 250ml?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nope, American cups are 240ml and I think Japan has a 180ml or 200ml cup.

It's not huge, but can gently caress up some recipes if you're not careful.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1332400344974802944

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

If you want to gently caress up your YouTube recommendations permentantly, can I recommend having an interest in history.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can unfuck your recommendations by clicking the three dots on the recommended video and telling youtube not to recommend things like that

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Elissimpark posted:

Nope, American cups are 240ml and I think Japan has a 180ml or 200ml cup.

It's not huge, but can gently caress up some recipes if you're not careful.

Seriously, how much do scales cost? Less than the ingredients of one meal.

cheetah7071 posted:

You can unfuck your recommendations by clicking the three dots on the recommended video and telling youtube not to recommend things like that

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mr Enderby posted:

Seriously, how much do scales cost? Less than the ingredients of one meal.

Yes, well. Ideally all recipes would use weights, but they often don't. And if someone in Australia decides to make an American recipe that uses cups, they're likely going to be using the wrong cup unit.