Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Watching the first time, I somehow thought that Ahsoka had cut the bell/gong in half as a way to signal the end of the magistrate's rule.

Watching it again, I now see very, very clearly that no, cutting that huge rear end piece of metal was just the side effect of her wanting to waste one unlucky bastard.

gently caress this episode ruled.

Also a cool way to visually depict "yeah these swords straight up cut people in half" without showing too much gore and scaring the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Watching the first time, I somehow thought that Ahsoka had cut the bell/gong in half as a way to signal the end of the magistrate's rule.

Watching it again, I now see very, very clearly that no, cutting that huge rear end piece of metal was just the side effect of her wanting to waste one unlucky bastard.

gently caress this episode ruled.

Corvus Tour Guide: "And this is how Space Philadelphia was formed"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

It’s now a favorite star war because people still hate the last jedi.

So I say nah. Double down. Go harder. Make the fanboys aggro.

Duel of the Fates, or Rise of Skywalker? I’m with you though, aggro fanboys deserved Rise of Skywalker as a just reward for their Last Jedi tantrum. Duel was the superior film and, to quote my main man Sheev P., in their anger they killed it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
DotF is better than TRoS for sure, but It still has the problem of Ben never getting to come home. Two whole movies of setting up how conflicted he is, and how he's trying so hard to carve out a place for himself while suffering the weight of legacy...and then nobody can seem to stick the landing without giving in to blood thirst

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe you can piss off the fanboys and make a good movie at the same time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yes but does DotF Reylo?

God that poo poo was so stupid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Duel of the Fates, or Rise of Skywalker? I’m with you though, aggro fanboys deserved Rise of Skywalker as a just reward for their Last Jedi tantrum. Duel was the superior film and, to quote my main man Sheev P., in their anger they killed it.

Rise yeah.

Duel of the fates ending kinda sucks with Kylo just dying like ah well I’m dead now.

But otherwise it’s pretty cool. Ben Solo either needed to never redeemed or lived to try and fight to fix the damage he wrought.

He doesn’t get or deserve a happy ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

Rise yeah.

Duel of the fates ending kinda sucks with Kylo just dying like ah well I’m dead now.

But otherwise it’s pretty cool. Ben Solo either needed to never redeemed or lived to try and fight to fix the damage he wrought.

He doesn’t get or deserve a happy ending.

Getting a chance at atonement is a happy ending.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Baby Yoda teams up with Thrawn and HK-47 to collect the Spaceballs and wish that the sequels never happened

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the end he dies alone. And only barely scratching the surface.

So no happy force ghost for you Ben!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Baby Yoda teams up with Thrawn and HK-47 to collect the Spaceballs and wish that the sequels never happened

cast Mel Brooks

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

One other thing about Ahsoka's makeup/costume - yes, it wasn't perfect, but it was fine, IMO. A lot of the other humanoid characters in the season so far have come across to me as "this is x actor in y costume" (Katee Sakchoff and Carl Weathers in particular). RD is also clearly a superior actress, and I thought that made it overcome anything makeup related.

Gonna watch this again, it blew everything else this season out of the water.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Phylodox posted:

Everything with Ahsoka and Thrawn is a continuation of what happened in Rebels. The backstory’s already been established.

Ah. I didn't see rebels, but I just started it after watching this. Why does she call him her master then--that nomenclature seems mostly reserved for force relationships?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

piL posted:

Ah. I didn't see rebels, but I just started it after watching this. Why does she call him her master then--that nomenclature seems mostly reserved for force relationships?

I dunno. So it would be ambiguous? Because the military power structure that Thrawn inhabited no longer exists?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what's the last episode of the animated that has thrawn in it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah that was pretty much everything I could have hoped for. The combo of wild west and samurai was great, especially since I'm an old fan of edo jidai movies. I look forward to the eventual use of Chekov's beskar spear. I thought Rosario Dawson was great as an older Ahsoka, and the reveal of her quest to find Thrawn had me shouting in delight.

So I really haven't read any of the books or anything- were the two main bads characters that have been in stories before?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the last episode of the animated that has thrawn in it?

Literally the last episode of Rebels.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeYUEMONPQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked last week's episode better than this week's backdoor pilot for the Ahsoka Tano series. This week was fine but I rolled my eyes at Ahsoka namedropping Thrawn. Gimme more Gideon and his suicide pact Imperials rather than Space Rommel and his magic carpet time travel ride.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 27, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grogu is totally gonna follow down the Mandalorian path. Can't wait to see him in his cute beskar armor.

Also let's get Sebastian Stan as Luke and Chloe Bennet as Aphra in this show. Let's get crazy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aside from the contact lenses, the only thing I didn’t like about this episode was that it’s going to be hard for whatever comes after not to feel like a denouement. I’m both a bit worried and extremely excited to see how they try to top this for the season finale. In my mind the only thing to one-up Ahsoka would be Luke.

Or maybe Mace Windu.

EDIT: Oh, my god, that’s what the stupid spear is for, isn’t it? They’re going to melt it down to make a tiny little set of armour for Baby Yoda, aren’t they?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Codependent Poster posted:

Grogu is totally gonna follow down the Mandalorian path. Can't wait to see him in his cute beskar armor.

Also let's get Sebastian Stan as Luke and Chloe Bennet as Aphra in this show. Let's get crazy.

I mean Mando does have a beskar spear he could melt down and forge into Yodalorian armor.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

IT BURNS posted:

One other thing about Ahsoka's makeup/costume - yes, it wasn't perfect, but it was fine, IMO. A lot of the other humanoid characters in the season so far have come across to me as "this is x actor in y costume" (Katee Sakchoff and Carl Weathers in particular). RD is also clearly a superior actress, and I thought that made it overcome anything makeup related.

Gonna watch this again, it blew everything else this season out of the water.

Agreed, the one thing I was afraid of was how hard it would be to translate a cartoon to live action, and it mattered more to me then the actual story, because if it was way off it would just feel wrong to begin with.

Was it a flawless depiction, no.

It was a good enough translation to get the job done though, and that's what matters.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Oh, my god, that’s what the stupid spear is for, isn’t it? They’re going to melt it down to make a tiny little set of armour for Baby Yoda, aren’t they?

I'm kinda expecting it to be what allows Din to have a cinematic melee duel with Gideon in the finale, now that they've established that it's actually usable against lightsabers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the best lightsaber sequences are those that use the light of the saber as the key aesthetic: Cloud City on ESB, Vader in the airlock, Anakin vs Ventriss in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars, this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gclxgy2A_M&t=36s

I also love scenes where they emphasize that to normal people, an angry Jedi is basically The Predator. So I loved the Ahsoka stalking scenes.

And good lord the art direction, set design and general aesthetic of this episode, very impressive.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heh

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1332361121349689345?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

God drat. Thank you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

I think the best lightsaber sequences are those that use the light of the saber as the key aesthetic: Cloud City on ESB, Vader in the airlock, Anakin vs Ventriss in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars, this -

I’m gonna say that the Anakin/Dooku fight at the end of Attack of the Clones is the exception that proves this rule. I always found that a good aesthetic idea executed poorly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I really haven't read any of the books or anything- were the two main bads characters that have been in stories before?

We've never seen them before, they're new

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I’m gonna say that the Anakin/Dooku fight at the end of Attack of the Clones is the exception that proves this rule. I always found that a good aesthetic idea executed poorly.

Attack of the Clones also had approximately one million Jedi in a brown bowl in broad daylight casually deflecting blaster bolts back at robots in the least tense, least coherent, least interesting stand-off scene in all of film history. Just a bunch of dogshit lightsaber fights yes and ESPECIALLY Yodas

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Slashrat posted:

I'm kinda expecting it to be what allows Din to have a cinematic melee duel with Gideon in the finale, now that they've established that it's actually usable against lightsabers.

Yeah but what about a *dark*saber. Mando needs to complete a few more sidequests first.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so like if I wanted to know who Thrawn is or who Ahsoka is or whatever can someone pretty please recommend an episode guide or a comic book or whatever. That was super badass and way better than I was expecting. I hated Grogu at the first reading and then was completely 180 and went like "oh yeah that makes sense that's def a yoda name ok cool" but Mando is probably still gonna call him 'kid' alot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so like if I wanted to know who Thrawn is or who Ahsoka is or whatever can someone pretty please recommend an episode guide or a comic book or whatever. That was super badass and way better than I was expecting. I hated Grogu at the first reading and then was completely 180 and went like "oh yeah that makes sense that's def a yoda name ok cool" but Mando is probably still gonna call him 'kid' alot.

This is a pretty good list of Clone Wars episodes, which are 22 mins each: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

Thrawn is from a bunch of books which are mostly not essential reads, but in this context you need to watch Rebels to understand her quest to find him. That's on Disney+.

edit: these episodes should explain Bo-Katan too

alg fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 27, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t think we’ve heard as much genuine emotion in Din’s voice as when Baby Yoda used the Force to grab his binky. He actually sounded happy and proud.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Phylodox posted:

I don’t think we’ve heard as much genuine emotion in Din’s voice as when Baby Yoda used the Force to grab his binky. He actually sounded happy and proud.

That was a great dad moment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just straight up one of the best episodes they've done. Totally blown away by this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, that was a great dad moment :3:

[Edit] poo poo I didn't refresh lol.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

God drat. Thank you.

Thanks. That was 3 hours learning to edit and finding the right spot to place the song just to make this, I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For anyone who watches Dimension 20, my wife pointed out:

- green
- pointy ears
- dad issues
- greatest wizard of our time
- name spelled almost the same

Grogu is Gorgug.