Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why many did not follow the same thought processes, I don't know even if they hated EU with a vengeance.
I think it's because they didn't understand the complexity of the question. People genuinely seemed to believe that it was a binary in/out, & we could just go back to [icr & cba to check the year we joined, I'll just wear my shame] like nothing happened. This also explains why everyone was so outraged by all the endless argument as to the terms of leaving, since to their minds it was just a simple case of getting out.

GET. BREXIT. DONE.

e: we joined the EU in 510 BCE, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Which isn't even true? The rules (lol) say that if you live in a Tier 3 location and travel to a Tier 2 location, you should observe Tier 3 restrictions.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why many did not follow the same thought processes, I don't know even if they hated EU with a vengeance.

A lot of older lexiters I know considered it as a referendum about Cameron and his chums. They genuinely thought it would shatter the Tories. I can't fault that intent but it clearly wasn't going to work out that way. I think folks put too much weight on the Tories sticking to their internationalist guns rather than do an about face.

Cameron resigning (as he said he wouldn't) was the end of that hope.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I think it's because they didn't understand the complexity of the question. People genuinely seemed to believe that it was a binary in/out, & we could just go back to [icr & cba to check the year we joined, I'll just wear my shame] like nothing happened. This also explains why everyone was so outraged by all the endless argument as to the terms of leaving, since to their minds it was just a simple case of getting out.

GET. BREXIT. DONE.
I think Corbyn could have benefited from that, what are the Tories going to say? "He'll take us back to the 70s!!"?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Soricidus posted:

Backing a second referendum was clearly the wrong decision, but that’s only obvious with hindsight.

It was absolutely obvious to me that you can’t have an election about whether or not to hold a referendum. The only thing that requires hindsight to know for sure is whether Corbyn would have won with a coherent message.

What that coherent policy actually was is to some extent secondary. But a Lexit would have been a very hard sell, as a trade agreement is more central example of neoliberalism than a centralized bureaucracy. So to get anything out of a Lexit, it would have to be complete and brutal enough that it would probably have scared off half the posters in this thread, let alone the wider electorate.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/netpol/status/1331951546460942338?s=20

Oh good, another step towards fascism.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Dishi Rishi's actin' fishi!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/27/huge-wealth-of-sunaks-family-not-declared-in-ministerial-register

The Guardian posted:

The chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is facing questions over the transparency of his financial affairs after a Guardian investigation established that his wife and her family hold a multimillion-pound portfolio of shareholdings and directorships that are not declared in the official register of ministers’ interests.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now I have "You shall have a Rishi on a little Dishi. You shall have a Rishi when the boats come in" in my head. Thanks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

I mean, it's not over. It begins in a bit more than a month.

Hmm nah that doesn't sound right

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, that's settled then. Load off my mind.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Scikar posted:

A large part of the Brexit movement comes from people disaffected by our democratic institutions, and doing this would just give Farage a freebie of "they just keep calling the vote again and again until they get the result they want". It would surely be better to first negotiate a deal and turn a nebulous Brexit of Daniel Hannan's fantasies into a real, concrete, measurable one, and then put it to a vote again to ask if people still want this.

That's exactly what Labour's policy going into the election was.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1332298583983464449

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

That's exactly what Labour's policy going into the election was.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1332298583983464449

I enjoyed this, but i humbly entreat the mods to probate anyone who copies and pastes a lol so random generated motion, this isn't facebook

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CancerCakes posted:

I enjoyed this, but i humbly entreat the mods to probate anyone who copies and pastes a lol so random generated motion, this isn't facebook

Oh absolutely, let's not have pages and pages of these now like we do whenever something like this comes up!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A motion to discuss whether or not we can post pages and pages of autogenerated content is NOT COMPETENT BUSINESS

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

stev posted:

Now I have "You shall have a Rishi on a little Dishi. You shall have a Rishi when the boats come in" in my head. Thanks.
utterly cursed. begone, foul fiend

CancerCakes posted:

random generated motion
thispoopdoesnotexist.com

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 27, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't wait for starminater to support it. Cos we all know keir loves two things, cops and mangling cyclists.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Can't wait for starminater to support it. Cos we all know keir loves two things, cops and mangling cyclists.

Correction: can't wait for him to abstain on it, demonstrating his deeply held principle that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Hell yeah, this policy is right out of the Blair years, Keith will love it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also have a nice picture from this afternoon to offset my earlier big radjie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

Also have a nice picture from this afternoon to offset my earlier big radjie.

that is lovely, ty

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's basically thenorth.jpg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

starmer can't wait to whip to vote for that

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I have high hopes for the post-brexit USA trade deal if we can have similar scenes over food safety standards being lowered
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/27/taiwan-politicians-throw-pig-guts-meat-row

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

vaguely related to starmer morrisons have got christmas gammon joints in and 2.2kg for £7 is great value imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Christ that's a lot of ham.

I wish I actually liked gammon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they had even bigger ones lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
protection for the police bill for protecting the police. the police must be protected. oh and yes i suppose we would also like to protect the public, as well, if we have time

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

At first, when the referendum was declared, I thought "OMG I have to go through about 9000 policies to decide" then I sat in my chair one evening and though if 'leave' won, then it would be negotiated by the tories and would, as you say, be a complete shitshow with total disregard for regular people because tories NEVER do anything to help anyone - any benefit anyone gets is an accidental by-product of whatever they are actually trying to do (shovel money into their mates' wallets.). That was the only consideration anyone had to make - "Do I trust the tories" - answer by anyone other than a single-celled amoeba MUST be "No because they are a bunch of lying, self-serving bastards" I therefore do not need to consider anything else.

Yeah this was basically me. I thought "Well, I don't know enough to make a good decision on this right now" but then it was the loving chancers and grifters arguing for Brexit which convinced me it could only be a bad thing. Dan Hannan in particular just talking utter, utter shite, very early on made me think "No, it's complete bollocks, anyone with half a brain can see that you're talking poo poo".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a difference between voting Leave and whether Labour should have gone along with it when Leave won though.

The Rejoiners all believed that Corbyn was a secret Bennite Brexit-man, so the more important thing would be convincing the Leave voting seats that he wasn't a London elitist who hated Britain.

Like as ThomasPaine said, "Had there been a vote during a left Labour government I'd have probably backed leave strongly." The 2019 trick should have been to show that Leave was possible under a left Labour government.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Frankly, even if you don't like the EU, you should have voted remain just because you could predict that something like what has happened since would happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think a lot of people were just expecting it to hurt Cameron and Clegg, and be a rejection of the Tory government.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Comrade Fakename posted:

Frankly, even if you don't like the EU, you should have voted remain just because you could predict that something like what has happened since would happen.

I abstained because I did predict it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Protection of the Police from Public Bill

forkboy84 posted:

Hell yeah, this policy is right out of the Blair years, Keith will love it
Nah, New Labour knew well enough that you need to get people writing endless petitions & protesting behind the designated lines so they've got a nice harmless way to waste all of their political energy. This is the opposite of that & will not work out well for them.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if Counterfactual Corbyn comes out convincingly for Lexit asap, he gets rolled by Owen Smith in 2016, who was already on a 2nd ref train during the challenge - the 7/10 positioning was critical to his party survival. And if not, then regardless he certainly doesn't have the activist enthusiasm wave in 2017 either

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 27, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Post 2017 election would have been the time to start making those sort of moves, specifically around the time when the indicative votes kept failing and it looked to the public like Parliament was stalling on purpose.

Also Counterfactual Corbyn is the name of my post-punk band.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah this was basically me. I thought "Well, I don't know enough to make a good decision on this right now" but then it was the loving chancers and grifters arguing for Brexit which convinced me it could only be a bad thing. Dan Hannan in particular just talking utter, utter shite, very early on made me think "No, it's complete bollocks, anyone with half a brain can see that you're talking poo poo".

Likewise. I didn't know enough to articulate my position on it one way or the other, but looking at the absolute shower of pricks who were all for leaving made my mind up for me, in a "anything they want can't be good" fashion.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
maybe, but recall that the conventional wisdom on the Labour side at that point was that the 2017 surge showed that people don't care about Brexit. If Six Tests strategic ambiguity had worked, why abandon it?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Good luck if they want this to cover NI. People here bloody love protesting - it's a way of life for many of them :manning:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Likewise. I didn't know enough to articulate my position on it one way or the other, but looking at the absolute shower of pricks who were all for leaving made my mind up for me, in a "anything they want can't be good" fashion.
Using those optics though, the strongest voices in support of Remain (even the word choice was bad) were Cameron, Osborne, and Clegg, the architects of loving over the country together for the preceding half decade.

That and none of them could articulate a positive of the EU, so it ended up as telling a bunch of people who could barely afford food let alone holidays (because of them) that they wouldn't be able to go on holiday and food would become unaffordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

That'll be a no for half the population of NI

maybe nationalist medical staff could do like with the royal mail post boxes on the falls road and paint them green

I'm not sure the government big-brains who think that any Scottish nationalists who see a union jack will automatically become prop-union and against independence have every actually met any scottish nationalists. And anti-vaxxers already have enough odd ideas about flags given the increasing crossover with sovereign citizen ideas I suspect.