Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My brain still can’t reconcile which game is which when discussing Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds. I just can’t do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can get two:
Noita
Forager
House of the Dying Sun

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Black Griffon posted:

I can get two:
Noita
Forager
House of the Dying Sun

Noita. You won't have time to play any other game, so you only get one.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I can get two:
Noita
Forager
House of the Dying Sun

I don't know what Forager is but Noita and House of the Dying Sun are both excellent.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think a big improvement for Shenmue would be if, as soon as you start it for the first time, a bunch of dudes in black vans showed up on your door and confiscated all of your gaming equipment because obviously you can't be trusted to use it responsibly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue is good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Forager can be a pretty fun podcast game, but it doesn't do anything interesting, so you don't miss anything if you skip it. There's no story or unique gameplay ideas or stuff like that, just crafting better stuff so you can craft even better stuff.

I ended up playing 37 hours anyway.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 27, 2020

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Black Griffon posted:

I can get two:
Noita

House of the Dying Sun

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sounds like Forager is the loser, thanks folks!

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm at the beginning of Vampyr (just arrived at the hospital) and I can already tell the combat gameplay is not going to be great, but I'm really enjoying everything else that it's going for. It definitely knows how to nail an atmosphere.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm at the beginning of Vampyr (just arrived at the hospital) and I can already tell the combat gameplay is not going to be great, but I'm really enjoying everything else that it's going for. It definitely knows how to nail an atmosphere.

also it's one of the few games where you can eat your co-workers.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All the Dr. Acula stuff in Vampyr is dope, all the Dracula stuff is nope.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm thinking about getting:

XCOM 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ace Combat 7
Hollow Knight
Sniper Elite 4

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Busy Bee posted:

XCOM 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ace Combat 7
Hollow Knight
Sniper Elite 4

If you get XCOM2, the expansion is a must-buy. It took it from a game I thought was kind of poo poo to one of my favorite strategy games of all time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ori and the Blind Forest is also good, Hollow Knight and Ace Combat 7 are both loving great

no idea about Sniper Elite

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

Ace Combat 7

also get the 3 DLC missions if nothing else.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
If you've played Sniper Elite 3, SE4 is more of the same with a couple of tweaks here and there. Pretty decent game and worth the price if you want some sniper action.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Anyone have any thoughts on the Anno 1800 game and the 'complete' edition? It looks stunning and the complete edition with all of the DLC is on sale for $30. I'll probably end up getting that or Star Wars Squadrons this sale.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trickyblackjack posted:

The only thing that's got me going for it is Dontnod in general makes mediocre/semi-good games with several moments of stunning brilliance. Remember Me is so bland its almost painful for ~70% of the game but the real creative stuff they did was extremely impressive like AAA caliber done with passion and care, potential "top gaming moment" of the year kind of stuff. The combat system was like that, starting off like it had real potential then falls apart completely as it increases in complexity.

For an idea of how badly they missed on the mark on what should've been an easy Arkham-style flowing combat you have to build up your combo modifiers to charge your special attacks, but you can only build up the modifier on the same enemy, so if you punch one enemy several times, dodge, and then punch a different enemy it resets your combo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the concept of Vampyr but the execution was pretty mediocre as you realize that no character can really be all that important, since they might die. In restrospect I tried to not kill too many people but the game is way more fun both narratively and mechanically if you do.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you get XCOM2, the expansion is a must-buy. It took it from a game I thought was kind of poo poo to one of my favorite strategy games of all time.

I've never purchased a DLC before. So if I purchase the XCOM 2 Collection which XCOM 2 + All the DLC's, how does it work in that case? Will the XCOM 2 game already be revamped with the DLC content or is the DLC a completely separate game that can be started after XCOM 2 is completed?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Busy Bee posted:

I've never purchased a DLC before. So if I purchase the XCOM 2 Collection which XCOM 2 + All the DLC's, how does it work in that case? Will the XCOM 2 game already be revamped with the DLC content or is the DLC a completely separate game that can be started after XCOM 2 is completed?

When the game launches it asks you if you want to play it with or without.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

War of the Chosen is a ton of extra content for the main game. When you start up XCOM 2 you get the choice to play original or WotC.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's two kinds of XCOM 2 DLC. War of the Chosen is an overhauled directors cut style revamp of XCOM 2. Improved Engine, less bugs, more seamlessly integrated DLC. The code improvements alone make playing base XCOM2 not worth it.

The Alien Hunters, Robit and I-think-there-was-a-third-one?, as well as the cosmetics packs are just DLC that you can disable and enable individually. None of them, or War of the Chosen, are post-game extra content. They are all integrated into the normal campaign. So don't play vanilla and then turn the DLC on expecting to be able to continue using your old save.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Busy Bee posted:

XCOM 2 is kind of funny in how it bakes in the DLC in some respects. Like other posters have said, when you launch it will ask what version you want to play. Do play with War of the Chosen on your first try, it’s just features that layer onto the base campaign and improve it overall.

However, there are two other pieces of DLC that are integrated into the game in a less apparent way.

You will eventually find a mission that says it will reward you with ancient alien weapons. Taking this mission will activate the “alien lords” dlc, which will add randomly-spawning boss enemies that are extremely difficult to the game. Most people dislike this dlc, and ignoring this mission will keep it from activating.

Similarly, you will likewise get access to a mission involving going to Shen’s father’s laboratory. This is a long story-based DLC mission that can be kind of difficult. Completing it will unlock a special mech trooper for your use, if you’re interested in that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That reminds me: when you start a new XCOM2 campaign, there will be options to enable or disable each individual DLC pack as well as an "Integrate DLC" option. Turn on the DLC packs, and turn off Integrate.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

WOTC is unquestionably the best way to play XCOM 2 but I would say that there is a LOT going on at the start of a playthrough and throughout generally.

Base XCOM 2 and it's DLC is a great game itself and so if the idea of doing multiple playthroughs through a 30hr-50hr campaign doesn't immediately repel you I'd give it some consideration. I got a lot more total enjoyment out of it going from one to the other.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 27, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

If you've played Sniper Elite 3, SE4 is more of the same with a couple of tweaks here and there. Pretty decent game and worth the price if you want some sniper action.

4 is hands down my favorite of the series even if the gameplay is largely the same. The map design is the best and that’s the big thing in those games.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Anonymous Robot posted:

You will eventually find a mission that says it will reward you with ancient alien weapons. Taking this mission will activate the “alien lords” dlc, which will add randomly-spawning boss enemies that are extremely difficult to the game. Most people dislike this dlc, and ignoring this mission will keep it from activating.

I found them pretty easy, and you get some special loot for killing them, so YMMV.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Anno 1800 game and the 'complete' edition? It looks stunning and the complete edition with all of the DLC is on sale for $30. I'll probably end up getting that or Star Wars Squadrons this sale.
I've honestly never heard anyone have anything bad to say about Anno 1800 (aside from the occasional bug). It's really a great entry to the series. One thing about the complete edition they've now announced a Third Season pass though there's few details on what that means so if you're the type that can only play a game when it's done you might want to wait another year.

That said if you do go for it the complete edition is the way to go. It might be a bit overwhelming for a new player with the extra sessions but you can disable them for your first playthrough or play with no AI opponents so there's no pressure to settle the good islands in all these different areas fast.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think it is the best overall Anno game so far, it has some flaws and there but no game is perfect.
And I have played every Anno so far, and quite a lot of each.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does the XCom2 dlc make mission timers less annoying? I kept bouncing off that game because I felt rushed by the turn timers and then punished for rushing too much. I was never really sure how the game wanted me to play it. Maybe it being my first xcom game had something to do with it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

buglord posted:

Does the XCom2 dlc make mission timers less annoying? I kept bouncing off that game because I felt rushed by the turn timers and then punished for rushing too much. I was never really sure how the game wanted me to play it. Maybe it being my first xcom game had something to do with it?

I've only played the base-game so far, but there's a mod that only starts the timers when you're actually detected that I'm a fan of.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

buglord posted:

Not directly, but all the new stuff you get in War of the Chosen makes timers much less of an issue. There's this one super-stealthy elite soldier class that makes scouting & planning a breeze.

There are mods for mission timers too, or you can go into your XCOM2 .ini files yourself.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

House of the dying sun isnt very good but 6.79 is a good price for something that you'll beat in two hours

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Enemy Unknown only had a few story missions with turn timers, their more of a major mechanic for 2 . It being your first X-com isn't to much of a downside as far as the time limit goes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Darkhold posted:

I've honestly never heard anyone have anything bad to say about Anno 1800 (aside from the occasional bug). It's really a great entry to the series. One thing about the complete edition they've now announced a Third Season pass though there's few details on what that means so if you're the type that can only play a game when it's done you might want to wait another year.

That said if you do go for it the complete edition is the way to go. It might be a bit overwhelming for a new player with the extra sessions but you can disable them for your first playthrough or play with no AI opponents so there's no pressure to settle the good islands in all these different areas fast.

Oh so it's a :airquote:complete edition. Hmm thanks for the info. On the plus side it looks as though they were done but fan demand was so high they decided for another season, which is probably a good indication that it is a pretty good game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

buglord posted:

War of the Chosen has some options when you start a new campaign, some of which let you double the length of the timers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Chad Jihad posted:

House of the dying sun isnt very good but 6.79 is a good price for something that you'll beat in two hours

Nah, it loving rules even if you can beat all three difficulties in like six-seven hours. The sound design really kicks it up a notch, everything about shooting and flying feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Im_Special posted:

So this game ( Astrox Imperium ) has been on my radar for a while now and I'm wondering if it is any good, since it's currently 50% off and I'm bored as gently caress, it claims to be a single player EVE Online, which totally sounds awesome if it is actually good, but so many of these types of games and claims just kinda fail to deliver on the end result with over promises.

Any goons with EVE or X3 experience know anything about this game? Does it actually live up to what it says, or since it's still in EA should I just wait a bit more.

I'd urge caution, it looks like EVE Online and even plays like it in a lot of ways, but has some weird underlying mechanics that really make it feel very different. For example, heat, radiation, and oxygen exist such that your time limited on how long you can spend in space and the game is segmented by that. Certain areas will have effects that cause huge drains on your heat dissipation or oxygen reserves that you can't cross them until upgrading your ship. Ultimately the game felt like it was a grindy and dull as EVE PvE, but with all these extra annoyance tacked on. If you legitimately enjoyed missing running in EVE but didn't care for just about everything else, it might be worth looking into.