Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Super.Jesus posted:

According to the legend, awoxer spy's name was Third Imposter.

I'm amazed this kind of on the nose comedy didn't get called out before.

It's a good name, just not as good as DBRB's "Awox McShootBlues"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

MaxPowers posted:

@ccp so for the drone thing. I dont think you're doing enough. Rats should prioritize drones that are sitting still. You know for when they are done shooting their target THEY CAN GET ABSOLUTELY OBLITERATED while they sit there for five loving seconds while your lovely code responds to pressing f on the next target.

I don't rat anymore but get hosed, don't give them stupid loving ideas

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Welcome back Soban, good to see you hope things are well

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thinking on it, CCP really did do something funny. They added ESS -- a way to steal money from ratters. Then, they nerfed the best way to rat. :shepface:

Also lol at the titan + rev gank

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I bought my first capital, a Thanatos! Gallente is best. Will be able to fly it in a month, so hyped to get on those elite gatecamp ops and break my wrist from fighter micromanagement.

I should test this thing out on the test server before I actually undock it, right?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Do people still buy characters?

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

lovely tuna snatch posted:

I bought my first capital, a Thanatos! Gallente is best. Will be able to fly it in a month, so hyped to get on those elite gatecamp ops and break my wrist from fighter micromanagement.

I should test this thing out on the test server before I actually undock it, right?

yes. 100% yes.

make sure you understand how fighters work and how to use Q to control them. Also make sure you understand how to select only your ship and then only your fighters.

Thanatos is good because it's a nice mix of dps and tank. you're gonna die first in a fight but it's a carrier, so nbd.

I've become obsessed with the neuting archon lately. really fun to get in close to enemy triage and just render them unusable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lovely tuna snatch posted:

:hmmyes:
Gallente is best. You'll be in a Nyx in no time

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Do people still buy characters?

yeah, the character Bazzar on the forums is still pretty active last I checked

edit - https://forums.eveonline.com/t/welcome-to-the-character-bazaar/71

captainclaw fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thinking on it, CCP really did do something funny. They added ESS -- a way to steal money from ratters. Then, they nerfed the best way to rat. :shepface:

I am 100% convinced their goal is to get ppl to say "gently caress it I'll buy a plex"

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Dalael posted:

I am 100% convinced their goal is to get ppl to say "gently caress it I'll buy a plex"

This and probably trying desperately to combat bots. For some reason they probably think active ratting will stop the bots but in reality its not a very difficult code change.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Dalael posted:

you might not be wrong with that to be honest. Do you think the loss of people who leave versus the amount of people who say "gently caress it I'll plex" make their decisions worth it in the long run?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

captainclaw posted:

you might not be wrong with that to be honest. Do you think the loss of people who leave versus the amount of people who say "gently caress it I'll plex" make their decisions worth it in the long run?

Free to play devs are not known for their 10th dimensional chess strategies.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nosthula posted:

This and probably trying desperately to combat bots. For some reason they probably think active ratting will stop the bots but in reality its not a very difficult code change.

If the aim of the change was to combat bots, this is about the dumbest way to go about it. Bots don't need auto-aggressive drones to work -- they can be programmed to push F.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
lmao at even thinking that ccp fights bots

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Are the servers constantly dropping for anyone else or is Black Friday online shopping nuking the internet overall

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

captainclaw posted:

I doubt it. Eve isn't that fun tbh and is very tedious (even with the QoL updates over the years) so I think a lot of people will quit. Just doesn't seem worth it anymore when their "updates" are more about making it harder to make isk than they are about fixing anything.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Dalael posted:

I doubt it. Eve isn't that fun tbh and is very tedious (even with the QoL updates over the years) so I think a lot of people will quit. Just doesn't seem worth it anymore when their "updates" are more about making it harder to make isk than they are about fixing anything.

Someone mentioned recently that it's like boiling a frog. In this case, the frog has lots of people he's known for years in the water so he's pretty reluctant to leave it. By gradually introducing these "updates" they're gambling enough frogs will slowly slip into paying for more Plex over time that they'll be able to make bank without all the frogs loving off to better video games instead.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Severing posted:

Someone mentioned recently that it's like boiling a frog. In this case, the frog has lots of people he's known for years in the water so he's pretty reluctant to leave it. By gradually introducing these "updates" they're gambling enough frogs will slowly slip into paying for more Plex over time that they'll be able to make bank without all the frogs loving off to better video games instead.

that analogy is the best thing I've read today, and feels pretty spot on to the recent changes that CCP have thrown out in the last 2 years

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We're going to see a mass exodus of players after this war concludes. CCP keeps taking away reasons to play this game, beyond the community that people have built based more or less on EVE - and the community is tired of their bullshit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The thing that really makes it hard to leave Eve is that there’s no other game that manages to scratch all the itches it does all in one. Factorio and to an extent minecraft scratch the build and explore itches, but not the pvp. Rite captures the space trucking but not really the sense of risk.

Tarkov captures the perma loss and the high risk but also runs like poo poo

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

captainclaw posted:

that analogy is the best thing I've read today, and feels pretty spot on to the recent changes that CCP have thrown out in the last 2 years

I mean, why play when you can buy skillpoints directly from ccp now?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The thing that really makes it hard to leave Eve is that there’s no other game that manages to scratch all the itches it does all in one. Factorio and to an extent minecraft scratch the build and explore itches, but not the pvp. Rite captures the space trucking but not really the sense of risk.

Tarkov captures the perma loss and the high risk but also runs like poo poo

Tarkov also has Devs who think making everything harder all the time and introducing unbearable mechanics are good things.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Erulisse posted:

I mean, why play when you can buy skillpoints directly from ccp now?

I mean, honestly? I went two years paying for an account I only ever “played” by logging in and updating my skill queue.

Not sure having the ability to buy skill points directly from CCP makes much difference in someone’s desire to actually play the game.

Also, CCP needs to hire an economist again. It’s pretty clear Hilmar is the Icelandic version of Trump and has no loving clue what he’s doing.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hello goon friends

I just started back puttering around in eve. I had an older eve account in GoonFleet about... 13 years ago I think. I am interested in joining a corp so it's not so lonely in space. I am not super interested in a lot of PVP, I just really like PVE and especially exploration.

I feel like back in the day there was some special casual goon corp, which is what I'm interested in. Is that still a thing? If not, is it OK to be casual in GoonWaffe?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Propagandist posted:

Hello goon friends

I just started back puttering around in eve. I had an older eve account in GoonFleet about... 13 years ago I think. I am interested in joining a corp so it's not so lonely in space. I am not super interested in a lot of PVP, I just really like PVE and especially exploration.

I feel like back in the day there was some special casual goon corp, which is what I'm interested in. Is that still a thing? If not, is it OK to be casual in GoonWaffe?

As long as you meet the social activity requirement - that is, you log into jabber or mumble 1-2 times a month - you can basically just ride bikes.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s pretty clear Hilmar is the Icelandic version of Trump and has no loving clue what he’s doing.

Sorry couldn't resist

ZombieLenin posted:

Not sure having the ability to buy skill points directly from CCP makes much difference in someone’s desire to actually play the game.

I don't care that people can buy skill points, it was actually really handy for me when I came back to the game after nuking my character and giving it all to an old corp member back when extractors were introduced.
I think it's more the issue surrounding "meh, I'll just buy a plex instead of ratting", and after the ore changes "I'll just plex instead of mining". Both will reduce people in space, PVE and small gang PVP (no one to hunt so why bother).
Which leaves the big blocks going at each other until the stores run out, because no ones out making more cause it's easier to plex. I just don't think they thought about it and just went "this sounds like a good idea"

But, then again, I'm just 1 person looking at this from my perspective and could be horribly wrong

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i'm totally ok with the ability to buy sell and trade SP, whether it comes from CCP or a player. i shouldn't have to train for a year to be able to hop into a ship if i want to fly it.

i'm super not ok with being able to purchase ships from CCP nor am i ok with in-game activities that make money being nerfed into the ground

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

captainclaw posted:

Sorry couldn't resist

I don't care that people can buy skill points, it was actually really handy for me when I came back to the game after nuking my character and giving it all to an old corp member back when extractors were introduced.
I think it's more the issue surrounding "meh, I'll just buy a plex instead of ratting", and after the ore changes "I'll just plex instead of mining". Both will reduce people in space, PVE and small gang PVP (no one to hunt so why bother).
Which leaves the big blocks going at each other until the stores run out, because no ones out making more cause it's easier to plex. I just don't think they thought about it and just went "this sounds like a good idea"

But, then again, I'm just 1 person looking at this from my perspective and could be horribly wrong

There are a lot of indicators which would precipitate us heading for that kind of an input-based economic collapse - some of them aren't looking too hot right now, but it doesn't look like a nightmare scenario.

Yet.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What, you're not optimistic about the future of EVE? :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i'm totally ok with the ability to buy sell and trade SP, whether it comes from CCP or a player. i shouldn't have to train for a year to be able to hop into a ship if i want to fly it.

i'm super not ok with being able to purchase ships from CCP nor am i ok with in-game activities that make money being nerfed into the ground

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's going to make life harder for Krabs as well as hunters. More so the hunters- firstly there will be fewer people ratting. Second the change forces players to be awake at the keyboard as they mash F over and over- you'll never catch an afk ratter, they'll be ready to run the moment that ship lands from warp.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

What, you're not optimistic about the future of EVE? :v:

You know I'm actually not doom-saying the future of EVE because gently caress man, I don't know. If you asked me thirteen years ago if EVE would be something that still existed in 2020 I'd have bet the farm against :ccp:.

That being said, I don't trust Larrikin at all to correctly analyze or relate the state of the in-game Economy given that I've literally picked through the flat files of five years of economic reports now.

In fact, my loving rage about Larrikin and whether or not he's a loving liability based on his garbage output would probably make Grath blush.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

He has the loving audacity to call himself a data scientist BITCH MUST WORK IN R

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
They probably want some of the focus to shift to, "I'll just buy PLEX." CCP always walks the line between trying to please the player base and trying to make that $$$.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jintozook81 posted:

They probably want some of the focus to shift to, "I'll just buy PLEX." CCP always walks the line between trying to please the player base and trying to make that $$$.

And there's their new Korean corporate masters to think about, too.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Baculus posted:

He has the loving audacity to call himself a data scientist BITCH MUST WORK IN R

As I have downloaded Tensorflow in the past and also pursued a doctoral degree once I am basically a Data Scientist PhD myself and I fully agree with your assessment of Larrikin.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i did R in college and it was so horrifying that i do android and kotlin microservice development instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Jintozook81 posted:

I've been unsubbed for a few years, so maybe this has changed, but did CCP introduce a serious $->isk or $->ships/minerals mechanic? (There wasn't such a thing when I last played.)