Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
On Twitter, Rich has also pointed out the Ookadook is having a sale on some of the books. I'd try to pick up a couple, but the cheapest shipping for two books to the UK was $72.50, so I hope others are more able to obtain reasonable postage prices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

That is one big-rear end rat.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
The dead rat head is a nice classic RPG joke. Every game I've played the group ends up hauling around trash for years of game-time. Often it was heads!

Missing the trap (as Team Evil has presumably done) is embarrassingly sloppy, but maybe they all see the end-game as so close that they've become focused on how they're going to betray each other.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Where is that rat skull from? I vaguely recall it coming up in an earlier strip, where nobody wanted it and it was left unclear where it wound up, but have no idea when or where it would have happened.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I just reread the archive, and I can pretty confidently say it's never come up before. It's more of a joke about how Haley has a million bags of holding crammed full of all sorts of stuff that might conceivably come in handy one day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Like she says in panel 8.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

paradoxGentleman posted:

wait what
why "oh no"
what did I miss

Only thing I can think is that Belkar didn't get to finish hiding their trail.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XkyRauh posted:

Only thing I can think is that Belkar didn't get to finish hiding their trail.

Belkar didn't get in the Telapathic Bond cause he was outside covering the trail. Now the sneaky Ranger who's one of the vanguard of checking poo poo out is the 1 person who can't talk with the others.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Mniot posted:

The dead rat head is a nice classic RPG joke. Every game I've played the group ends up hauling around trash for years of game-time. Often it was heads!

Missing the trap (as Team Evil has presumably done) is embarrassingly sloppy, but maybe they all see the end-game as so close that they've become focused on how they're going to betray each other.

In 3.5 only Rogues can detect magic traps, so it makes sense that Team Evil has absolutely no idea it's there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Belkar didn't get in the Telapathic Bond cause he was outside covering the trail. Now the sneaky Ranger who's one of the vanguard of checking poo poo out is the 1 person who can't talk with the others.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

lol I thought the same thing, and then double-checked and Rich made very sure to cover this

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah, but does Belkar have his Protection from Evil active?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
As my DM likes to say. "I'm sure it'll be fine."

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
How would the telepathy interact with the soul splice?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I am suspicious of telepathic radio silence from Belkar.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am suspicious of telepathic radio silence from Belkar.

Yeah the bit at the end frames it like he can't hear them at all. Which is why I assumed he didn't actually get affected by it.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

hahaha I only realized this after reading the OotS forums but boy Redclock, sure is a shame about this dungeon having a magical defense only detectable by Rogues! If only you had one on your side!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

After so many Detect Evil attempts Belkar got a metal plate installed in his skull which preemptively blocks it. It also blocks all telepathic communication.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Soup du Jour posted:

hahaha I only realized this after reading the OotS forums but boy Redclock, sure is a shame about this dungeon having a magical defense only detectable by Rogues! If only you had one on your side!

RIGHT? Then they'd have an EYE for this situation. Very useful!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's going to turn out that the MitD has been able to see it all along but didn't tell anyone because it assumed they all could see it

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Telepathic Bond works on the caster + one extra creature per three levels.

We see the following use it in the strip:

V (Not counted)
Roy
Elan
Haley
Durkon
Blackwing (Does the familiar count as an extra person)

V is about lvl 15, right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Belkar clearly got hit.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ultrafilter posted:

Belkar clearly got hit.

yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taerkar posted:

(Does the familiar count as an extra person)
3.5e wizards can share spells with their familiars as long as it's cast when they're within five feet of each other.

3.5e SRD posted:

Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast).

Emphasis mine. So, Blackwing is definitely further than five feet away, but that seems to be more Rich ignoring a minor rule in favor of a better story, rather than forgetting one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 27, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

e: nevermind, misread what was being referred to.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Where is that rat skull from? I vaguely recall it coming up in an earlier strip, where nobody wanted it and it was left unclear where it wound up, but have no idea when or where it would have happened.

It's an extra strip from the book, it was pawned off to Haley by Squeaky after Kandro died against the worm.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taerkar posted:

Telepathic Bond works on the caster + one extra creature per three levels.

We see the following use it in the strip:

V (Not counted)
Roy
Elan
Haley
Durkon
Blackwing (Does the familiar count as an extra person)

V is about lvl 15, right?

V was able to cast Mind Blank twice, which I'm pretty sure means V's exactly level 15, unless they cast a fourth level 8 spell at some point during the vampire showdown.

mmkay posted:

It's an extra strip from the book, it was pawned off to Haley by Squeaky after Kandro died against the worm.

Ohh, that's the one. Thanks, that was gonna bug me otherwise.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

V was able to cast Mind Blank twice, which I'm pretty sure means V's exactly level 15, unless they cast a fourth level 8 spell at some point during the vampire showdown.

Between stat bonuses and school speciality, I don't think you can be certain either way.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We know V is an Evoker, and I dunno the specific intelligence benchmarks for bonus spells, but I’m pretty comfortable assuming V gets one bonus spell for level 8 but not two. I guess it’s possible V is level 16 with a suboptimal int stat or has more slots but decided that there was another level 8 spell with more tactical merit than shielding a third party member from domination effects, but I doubt it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think V has suboptimal INT. If anything they dumped WIS.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The forums Geekery thread has had V at level 16 for years now. And the Ioun stone should add another caster level on top. (The Forcecage V casted lasted 34 hours and all)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 28, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The line about "suboptimal" INT comes from that one page with the Mind Flayer preferring Roy over V but I doubt Roy has more than 18 (or 20, given V being an Elf) INT.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

The line about "suboptimal" INT comes from that one page with the Mind Flayer preferring Roy over V but I doubt Roy has more than 18 (or 20, given V being an Elf) INT.

I think the joke there was supposed to be about Roy's brain being a more well rounded flavour. Durkon mentioned that Roy had the spread to be cleric or paladin, so Roy's mental stats are overall high whereas V obviously does not have good charisma or wisdom.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charisma is sweet, Wisdom is savory, Intelligence is umami

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
I think wisdom isn't so much savory as just filling, which is why the thing saw Durkon as a bowl of some sort of bland porridge. Sticks to your ribs, but not much else to recommend it.

eta: also why Roy's brain meal came complete with starchy potato as well as the turkey, whereas V's was just the savory burger without much extra to fill you up.

Lychnis fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 28, 2020

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In the moment when he killed his brother, Redcloak made the correct choice - his brother was going to die anyway.

His mistake was things getting to that point in the first place.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

In the moment when he killed his brother, Redcloak made the correct choice - his brother was going to die anyway.

His mistake was things getting to that point in the first place.

I'm not really sure that's true. Xykon did have immunity to the backstab, but if Redcloak had hit Xykon with that Distingrate instead of Right-Eye, that fight could have gone differently. Xykon was just tauntning Redcloak about "a backstab either way could have turned it", but I think a cleric powerful enough to throw around 6th level spells suddenly flipping on him would have, in fact, changed the fight. Especially if Redcloak had prepared Protection from Negative Energy, Xykon would have been completely screwed if Durokon had that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm not really sure that's true. Xykon did have immunity to the backstab, but if Redcloak had hit Xykon with that Distingrate instead of Right-Eye, that fight could have gone differently. Xykon was just tauntning Redcloak about "a backstab either way could have turned it", but I think a cleric powerful enough to throw around 6th level spells suddenly flipping on him would have, in fact, changed the fight. Especially if Redcloak had prepared Protection from Negative Energy, Xykon would have been completely screwed if Durokon had that.
Yeah. Redcloak was, and is, so dedicated to The Plan that he dismisses any possible alternatives as an unacceptable risk. Even if he might have won, that wasn't the point to him. The point was that he might not.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
When I am doing manual labor, my mind is usually just running constantly in the background.
I was thinking about the Crystal-Golem scene , and how if she was slightly less insane, she would be a neat weapon agaisnt Team Evil. Stick her in a Bag of Holding until time.

But anyway, Sometime after the events of Greysky city

Bozzok had Grubwiggler ressed and had him create a special Flesh Golem out of Crystal's corpse. Instead of using that money to res the guild members, as per the new contract
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0974.html

In this strip: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0619.html You see where they make a deal between Haley and the Theives guild, and goes into why it would be bad to kill Bozzok at that time.

Anyway, Bozzok is dead now, so Greysky city is probably in chaos right now as that power vacuum tries to be filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyway, Bozzok is dead now, so Greysky city is probably in chaos right now as that power vacuum tries to be filled.

That halfling second-in-command sorta guy looked pretty savvy. I bet he had a contingency plan for this.