Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

im on the net me boys posted:

I’m rather unhappy that Jennings is the interim host and I hope he doesn’t stick around

Jennings is too dweeby and doesn't have the sense of authority Trebek had. Trebek came across as an academic and I think Jennings will come across as a trivia nerd.

I like Jennings and I'm not saying they need to find a replacement who is exactly like Trebek, but I'm glad they're trying Jennings out before making him the permanent host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Ken Jennings is cancelled for his problematic tweets

https://www.salon.com/2020/11/25/ken-jennings-past-tweets-mocking-the-disabled-surface-after-jeopardy-guest-hosting-announcement_partner/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I must be going to hell because "It can't be a good sign that every fan who has seen the new Star Wars movie died shortly thereafter" is hilarious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alex watched Fox News during breaks so it's pretty ridiculous to go after Ken for some edgy, problematic tweets since he's politically far better than Alex was.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If Ken has to stop tweeting because he's hosting Jeopardy that will be a tragedy because he's one of the few good people on that whole platform.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1331674705678397441

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1329130318519959555

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ken has many fantastic tweets and a few really, really bad ones.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Is it my imagination, or have the clue writers been misplacing a lot of $200 clues in the Final Jeopardy pile this season?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alex watched Fox News during breaks so it's pretty ridiculous to go after Ken for some edgy, problematic tweets since he's politically far better than Alex was.

On God?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Ken is great ken is good let us thank him for this food

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Groovelord Neato posted:

Was Alex a trump supporter? :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

frogbs posted:

Was Alex a trump supporter? :(

I have bad news for you.

quote:

When asked, he’d say that he imagines himself to be, “a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I want to help people, but I’m not necessarily eager to pay for it.”

quote:

In a 2018 interview with Vulture, Trebek said he was a political moderate and registered independent, neither conservative nor liberal, with some libertarian leanings. Trebek stated he believed in God as a Christian.

quote:

Link "You know, when the #MeToo movement started, I had discussions with the staff during production meetings," he said. "I said, 'My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men.'"

The Canadian-American continued: "I'm fortunate that I've never been in a position of power where I might be able to lord it over somebody sexually."

In another #MeToo reference, Trebek said his dream "Jeopardy!" contestant used to be Kevin Spacey. The two-time Oscar winner and former "House of Cards" star swiftly fell from grace after he was accused by multiple people of sexual misconduct last year.

"He's bright, and there would be so many funny moments because of all his great impressions," Trebek said. "But now you can't say that."

"This conversation has taken a turn," Marchese said.

"You took a turn," Trebek shot back.

Trebek is a neat guy and all, but like a lot of people, he says and does a lot of lovely things too. Human beings, man.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Is it my imagination, or have the clue writers been misplacing a lot of $200 clues in the Final Jeopardy pile this season?

It’s definitely not your imagination. Tonight was yet another example.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.
Here's the full interview in Vulture mentioned. It is uncomfortable the way that Alex Trebek was the one who brought up #metoo as just being a "scary time for men."

It is an interview with a real human, as complicated and imperfect and messy as that can be. It was always exponentially more interesting to get responses beyond Alex's usual go-to jokey answers. He may have been a culturally reactionary septuagenarian, but his aloof and persnickety moments when hosting were some of the most charmingly endearing.

As for Ken, I doubt his twitter history would prevent the producers from selecting him as a long-term host. He is already involved with the show, and the tweets and criticism thereof aren't new.

sanko fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 27, 2020

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My take is that if Ken wants the job, it'll be his unless he's just god-awful in his interim role. I don't think he will be god-awful.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

skaboomizzy posted:

My take is that if Ken wants the job, it'll be his unless he's just god-awful in his interim role. I don't think he will be god-awful.

That's what I'm expecting. It's pretty obvious he was brought on as a producer to be the heir apparent and the host job is his to lose. A few stupid tweets shouldn't sink him though he might be told to keep them politically correct going forward.

As for his other shows, if Alex can hold down three shows at the same time, Ken can too. It helps that he only has to do The Chase part time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Island Nation posted:

That's what I'm expecting. It's pretty obvious he was brought on as a producer to be the heir apparent and the host job is his to lose. A few stupid tweets shouldn't sink him though he might be told to keep them politically correct going forward.

As for his other shows, if Alex can hold down three shows at the same time, Ken can too. It helps that he only has to do The Chase part time.

I don't know about Jeopardy in particular, but I know that the syndicated daytime trash will film a week's worth of episodes in a single day, and those are hour long episodes.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know about Jeopardy in particular, but I know that the syndicated daytime trash will film a week's worth of episodes in a single day, and those are hour long episodes.

Jeopardy does the same, they film a month of episodes in four days.

Trebek made $10M a year for that but it's still not as cushy a job as Vanna White's.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't know that about the talk shows but it's well documented about Jeopardy doing 5 shows in 1 tape day so it's not a schedule issue if they're spaced out properly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Trebek made $10M a year for that but it's still not as cushy a job as Vanna White's.

That's pretty surprising considering the amount of money someone like Judge Judy makes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

Jeopardy does the same, they film a month of episodes in four days.

IIRC Vanna White makes about $4M a year and Pat Sajak is $15M

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Getting paid $4M a year to get the world's best calves, hot dresses and a lifetime supply of age-sustaining orga-lixir seems like a good gig

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

Getting paid $4M a year to get the world's best calves, hot dresses and a lifetime supply of age-sustaining orga-lixir seems like a good gig

Vanna's not even doing as much as she did. She only has to touch the letters now instead of physically turn the tiles. But she does have to put up with Pat's lame jokes, which should be worth at least a couple million more.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Vulture Culture posted:

I've blind-called like 3.5 Final Jeopardy clues in the past couple weeks based just on the category (the .5 is from guessing the book in French Lit; the clue asked for a character from it), and I'm not that good, so they've definitely been on the easier side.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's kind of amazing that Ken would be the perfect Jeopardy host even without breaking records as a contestant. Smart, funny, quick-witted, non-problematic. The only thing he's missing is Alex' dashing good looks, but that never stopped Pat Sajak.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'll be going "ooooooh, fireworks!" until the end of time now.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

MD2020 posted:

I've blind-called like 3.5 Final Jeopardy clues in the past couple weeks based just on the category (the .5 is from guessing the book in French Lit; the clue asked for a character from it), and I'm not that good, so they've definitely been on the easier side.

I'm glad my group of friends aren't the only ones that try to blind pick final Jeopardy questions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TL posted:

:same:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TL posted:

That was so good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol nice bid.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They spot you "hip hop" and you can't get Hip Hop Hooray? come on!!

$2700 winner lmao

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Tonight was one of those finals where I immediately came up with the correct response and then managed to overthink myself away from it in the remaining time (I also settled on The Count of Monte Cristo).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Poque posted:

Lol nice bid.

literally any of them could have won by bidding correctly. wowzers

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

They spot you "hip hop" and you can't get Hip Hop Hooray? come on!!

$2700 winner lmao

I completely blanked on this despite it coming up ALL THE TIME on Sirius XM which is how I know like 90% of music titles now, just by skimming channels when I'm driving, and I was very mad at myself about it.

Jokymi posted:

Tonight was one of those finals where I immediately came up with the correct response and then managed to overthink myself away from it in the remaining time (I also settled on The Count of Monte Cristo).
I immediately went for Marley from A Christmas Carol, then tried to figure it out after Alex gave the extra stuff after the music, and settled on Heathcliff despite also considering The Count of Monte Cristo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have Dish Network and Nextstar owns my local NBC affiliate which runs Jeopardy! They are currently having a pissing contest over licensing fees.

I also have Comcast internet (and low end TV as part of a bundle). I had to break out a 10-year-old cable box and deal with some of the worst customer service in the history of humankind to get it activated in time for tonight's show.

So, what I'm trying to say is gently caress you Comcast.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
WHY CAN'T ANYBODY BID ANYMORE???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

People not being able to bid right will never ever make a lick of sense to me. This is stuff I've known since I was in grade school.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I have sympathy for messing up betting from second and third place; if you're not one for math or logic puzzles it can be tough to do that under pressure. But come on, betting from first is easy! Just bet so you have one more dollar than twice the 2nd place score if you get it right!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I will say that one of the things I "studied" pretty hard before going on the show was doing the math for betting. I mean it's pretty self-explanatory when you're sitting on your couch and you can think it through, but it's still the sort of thing that I had to actually practice before I went on. And there is something to be said about the pressure. I can see how people who thought "hey, this math is easy" from their couch could mess it up on the spot.

My second game, going into final, I knew how I wanted to bet and it wasn't even that hard (I wanted to bet so that if the guy in 1st going into final got it wrong, I would finish $1 above him based on what he should have bet) but still. We had a twenty minute pause while they figured out scores, etc, and add that to the stress and everything and I completely forgot how to math. I think my first attempt at it I came up with "you have to bet $22,000" and I was like "wtf??". Eventually I worked out a number that seemed about right, so I added a couple hundred to that just to be sure, but yeah, the betting on the spot was much more difficult than I had expected despite having actually practiced it.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 4, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The one that always gets me is the person in third well behind a close first and second who bets at all. That's the easiest one to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

The one that always gets me is the person in third well behind a close first and second who bets at all. That's the easiest one to get right.

Haha yeah, this one is so “aaarerrggggghhhhh” inducing.