Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This episode was Yaddle erasure.

Ahsoka only knows of one other being like Grogu? Yaddle was your librarian you liar

Yaddle might've died between Ep1 and whenever Ahsoka started her training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Haha, yeah. I think most reactions to the Thrawn name drop had several of us yelling. I vote to cast Henry Cavill as Thrawn please :allears:

Holy poo poo :perfect:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yaddle was 100% around the whole time. All throughout the Clone Wars. Ahsoka met her multiple times. The thing is, Yaddle is aggressively boring. Nobody remembers her. Ever. Hell, even y’all forgot her three episode arc in Clone Wars’ second season.

Poor Yaddle.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Yeah so overall while this episode wasn't perfect, I think it's the best possible way we could have brought a very popular animated character like Ahsoka over to live action and do it justice. Seeing Rosario Dawson be Ashoka but not Ashley Eckstein's Ahsoka was interesting but it worked. I hope they give Ashley Eckstein a cameo somewhere though, like they did for Matt Lanter last season.

Dave Syndrome posted:

This is really bothering me... I've been watching The Clone Wars since the beginning (in the cinema, even!), also Rebels all the way through. I'm fairly musical, and usually good at picking up character themes in soundtracks.
But for the life of me I never picked up on what Ahsoka's theme was supposed to be. Maybe it was too understated for me, maybe I was too used to the original trilogy Williams themes.
Can anyone point me to a youtube link that has a no-frills simple version of Ahsoka's theme? I've tried looking for a few tonight, but whenever I though "ah, this might be it", the music changes to something loud from an action scene and it's gone from my ear again. It's like my brain is rejecting it, and I feel musically inadequate.

Help me, forum, you're my only hope.

(braces for rickrolls)

So it's the flute melody here that plays from 01:48-01:55:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzWN0BXmUg&t=108s

It plays throughout Ahsoka's appearences in Clone Wars & Rebels, but two of it's easiest to spot appearances are at the end of Season 5 of Clone Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3AMWnfVXM&t=109s

and at the very end of Season 2 of Rebels, here on the brass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z09ezfIQ_o&t=27s

In this episode it plays three times that I spotted: at 04:04, when we first see her properly, at 29:12 when she appears in the village, and then throughout the end scene starting at 40:04.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Not in every way. Lars Mikkelson creates Thrawn with just his voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWe6jmJ9q5c

Without that voice you just have a dude in blue makeup.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

teagone posted:

Grogu is the perfect name tbh. It's almost like Goku.

Gabbo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yaddle was 100% around the whole time. All throughout the Clone Wars. Ahsoka met her multiple times. The thing is, Yaddle is aggressively boring. Nobody remembers her. Ever. Hell, even y’all forgot her three episode arc in Clone Wars’ second season.

Poor Yaddle.

Wait, really. Lol. I really can't recall her in Clone Wars at all. That's hilarious.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phylodox posted:

Poor Yaddle.

The funny thing is Yaddle was suppose to be a young Yoda with hair but once made they thought "Yeah okay that doesn't look right", so we got Yaddle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

Wait, really. Lol. I really can't recall her in Clone Wars at all. That's hilarious.

It's a joke.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

teagone posted:

Grogu is the perfect name tbh. It's almost like Goku.

Mando is just going to keep calling him Kid.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My favorite thing is that Mando’s connection to him is the reason BaeYo can’t be trained and Ahsoka is the perfect character to not just ignore that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The worst part is that Yaddle was one of the few Jedi to survive Order 66. After the order was given, her clone troopers just kind of looked at her, shrugged, and shuffled off embarrassedly.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Didn't Yaddle die in a cave she got trapped in. I recall reading something along those lines.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Tomtrek posted:

So it's the flute melody here that plays from 01:48-01:55:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzWN0BXmUg&t=108s

It plays throughout Ahsoka's appearences in Clone Wars & Rebels, but two of it's easiest to spot appearances are at the end of Season 5 of Clone Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3AMWnfVXM&t=109s

In this episode it plays three times that I spotted: at 04:04, when we first see her properly, at 29:12 when she appears in the village, and then throughout the end scene starting at 40:04.

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm so gullible, it hurts.

Tomtrek posted:

This use of Ahsoka's theme from the S2 finale is my favorite from the shows, and hits the hardest feels for me. Gives me goosebumps and gets me super emotional every time. 'Ahsoka Leaves' is a close second though.

I also enjoy this 'cinematic' arrangement of her theme a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgIv22umB98

[edit] [edit 2] Rebels spoilers below.

Rebels makes such good use of Ahsoka's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V0nS8AP2g

Time stamped (1:41)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU9JRYzUBBg&t=101s

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 27, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yaddle is the Star Wars equivalent of Droopy Dog. Just kind of absently but resolutely plodding through the galaxy with a sadly reproving expression while terrible things happen all around her but somehow miraculously leave her untouched. Ever present. Never remembered.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Last Call posted:

Didn't Yaddle die in a cave she got trapped in. I recall reading something along those lines.

Luke killed her in ESB. Yaddle was just looking for mushrooms and got turned around then Luke comes in thinking she's Vader and mirks her. Yoda now doesn't have to share his dirt mound with anybody else.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be hilarious if films in the Old Republic era had Yaddle as a bad rear end and Yoda as a screw up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So who’s gonna show up when Grogu communes with the Force on Tython? A force ghost? A living Jedi? Not sure it’s gonna be Luke, that’s too obvious. Leia might be interesting, but I hope it’s not her either. Mace Windu and Sam Jackson are my first choice, would be amazing as we speculated earlier in the thread. Qui-Gon as a force ghost would rule too, I bet Liam Neeson would be down. Obi Wan as a force ghost is possible too, especially since Ewan McGreggor is rumored to get an Obi Wan spinoff. Anakin might happen but not likely. For the lulz let’s get Ki Adi Mundi!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Slashrat posted:

Ancient jedi temple ruin kinda screams "ghost story!", and hey maybe they've somehow managed to keep an appearance by Liam Neeson under the radar.

Dare we even dare dream?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The Thrawn mention was pretty badass. They also brought in Tano in a way that prevented my usual 'I hate grey Jedi and other knockoffs' from firing. It was a fun mix of Jedi and gunplay and plot and did quite well. That Beskar is lightsaber resistant didn't phase me as much as I thought it might, and Chekhov's spear is something I'm looking forward to. I very much enjoyed the episode and the various setup it provided.

That said, for all of you wanting the Vong. No. Just loving please no. That was one of the darkest loving parts of Legends along with the Dark Saber superweapon, the Young Jedi, and Corran Horn. It needs to die in a deep, dark pit and be forgotten. gently caress the Vong, give us something better.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Looks are kind of irrelevant. It's the voice for me, especially with Thrawn. Honestly, I'd rather have a CGI thing with Mikkelson voicing that have Cavill as Thrawn's perfect physical twin but not nailing the voice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the episode a lot, and really liked the samurai film homages. Though as someone who's seen the OT dozens of times, but only watched the prequels exactly once when they came out and never watched Clone Wars, season 2 definitely lends itself to fanservice way more than season 1. Other than cultural osmosis I wouldn't know who Ahsoka was, and until looking it up I didn't know who Bo-Katan or Thrawn were, so even though the episode was really cool and a lot of fun, a lot of the references and big reveals are lost on the casual fan. Like I said I enjoyed it, but if they're going to lean hard into the extended cinematic universe, I wish they'd set it up a little better with more in-show exposition or context.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I think the thing with Ahsoka is that she's not really a grey Jedi per se. It's not like she's a light side user who dabbles in the dark side, she left the Jedi order because they screwed her over. If anything she's too good to be a Jedi (or a prequel era Jedi, anyway).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Benny cucumber :smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone posted:

Looks are kind of irrelevant. It's the voice for me, especially with Thrawn. Honestly, I'd rather have a CGI thing with Mikkelson voicing that have Cavill as Thrawn's perfect physical twin but not nailing the voice.

Seeing what Cavill did with his voice in The Witcher for Geralt, I imagine he'd be able to imitate the vocal cadence of Thrawn's voice actor from Rebels at least. Not that it matters either, but Mikkelson has a pretty distinct voice and was already Galen Erso :colbert:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Neo Rasa posted:

Dare we even dare dream?

I'm so disappointed we never got this in the sequels. It makes more sense that Anakin was stuck in between the light and dark and not entirely saved after committing you know genocides and various atrocities on a galaxy wide scale.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

The Last Call posted:

I'm so disappointed we never got this in the sequels. It makes more sense that Anakin was stuck in between the light and dark and not entirely saved after committing you know genocides and various atrocities on a galaxy wide scale.

I totally agree, of all the force ghosts to not appear, they choose to not have Annie appear at the end of a nine movie story arc centered entirely around him (and R2-D2)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Seeing what Cavill did with his voice in The Witcher for Geralt, I imagine he'd be able to imitate the vocal cadence of Thrawn's voice actor from Rebels at least. Not that it matters either, but Mikkelson has a pretty distinct voice and was already Galen Erso :colbert:

Wrong Mikkelson. Youre thinking of Thrawns brother.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

I totally agree, of all the force ghosts to not appear, they choose to not have Annie appear at the end of a nine movie story arc centered entirely around him (and R2-D2)

TROS had two moments where Hayden Christensen as Force Ghost Anakin could've shown up and it would've been perfect: 1) he could've replaced Han during the memory scene to give Ben a pep talk, but I like that scene with Han personally and 2) I think it was jivjov who first suggested that Anakin could've showed up after Rey 'died' and encouraged Ben to finish what he couldn't during his lifetime, i.e., to save the one he loves.

Darko posted:

Wrong Mikkelson. Youre thinking of Thrawns brother.

OOOOOH. [edit] Yeah, I forgot Thrawn's voice actor is Mads' brother lmao. Though to be fair, I have a crush on Mads so whenever I see just 'Mikkelsen' mentioned, I only think of him :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 28, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm still waiting for an episode set in Batuu where they straight-up shoot at Disnelyand or Hollywood Studios.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If Hayden showed up all the people who hated the prequels will get angry. Disney can’t have that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm still waiting for an episode set in Batuu where they straight-up shoot at Disnelyand or Hollywood Studios.

I really want to make a fan film there just to see if I could escape from tomorrow my way into using a theme park for a film set

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Elentor posted:

Thanks. That was 3 hours learning to edit and finding the right spot to place the song just to make this, I have no regrets.

Do you have a Twitter account? I want to try to boost the video, but want to tag you in it if you do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Din stuck in side quest hell is pretty funny and fun so far.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Poor Yaddle.

This reminds me of a one-shot X-men story where they tell the story of a mutant who’s mutant power is that everyone immediately forgets about him so he goes through various arcs doing clutch save the day things and no one ever notices or remember.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This episode also contained a Lothcat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I enjoyed the episode a lot, and really liked the samurai film homages. Though as someone who's seen the OT dozens of times, but only watched the prequels exactly once when they came out and never watched Clone Wars, season 2 definitely lends itself to fanservice way more than season 1. Other than cultural osmosis I wouldn't know who Ahsoka was, and until looking it up I didn't know who Bo-Katan or Thrawn were, so even though the episode was really cool and a lot of fun, a lot of the references and big reveals are lost on the casual fan. Like I said I enjoyed it, but if they're going to lean hard into the extended cinematic universe, I wish they'd set it up a little better with more in-show exposition or context.

To the casual fan, characters like Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, and Cobb Vanth are no different that Greef Karga, Cara, or Kuiil when it comes to the ongoing narrative. The cool thing about Bo-Katan and Ahsoka in particular is that there's a wealth of additional content new fans of these characters can seek out and enrich those reveals/introductions if they want to.

Another goon said several pages ago, but don't feel left out if you didn't watch animated shows, because everything happening with Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, or whoever else Filoni/Favreau want to bring into The Mandalorian from the shows/books/comics is all new to the fans who already know those characters too. It's new for everybody! I feel like the show does its best to not burden viewers who are unfamiliar with storied characters with any additional lore required to "get" the character in the ongoing adventures of Din and Grogu. Basically, I feel like this:

Cage Kicker posted:

If you didn't watch Clone Wars or Rebels or whatever this episode was still cool as gently caress, if you did then it was even COOLER.

...is a good way to approach/handle any storied characters introduced to The Mandalorian's storyline. Don't feel like you're now obligated to watch Rebels or Clone Wars just because Bo-Katan and Ahsoka showed up in The Mandalorian. I personally don't intend to read Aftermath to embellish Cobb Vanth's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Phylodox posted:

The worst part is that Yaddle was one of the few Jedi to survive Order 66. After the order was given, her clone troopers just kind of looked at her, shrugged, and shuffled off embarrassedly.

There was supposed to be a sad musical score to go with the rest of the montage but when it was her turn to get 66'ed it was just white noise machine sounds.