Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I will give Disney credit for finding the perfect way to thread the needle with all the EU/non-movie stuff by taking the stance of "it's not canon unless we acknowledge it, and then it is" which lets them lift the stuff that was actually good like Thrawn, Ahsoka, all the Mandalorian elements, etc into their new stories while also being able to ignore the remaining 95% which is at best dumb and at worst aggressively terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

I will give Disney credit for finding the perfect way to thread the needle with all the EU/non-movie stuff by taking the stance of "it's not canon unless we acknowledge it, and then it is" which lets them lift the stuff that was actually good like Thrawn, Ahsoka, all the Mandalorian elements, etc into their new stories while also being able to ignore the remaining 95% which is at best dumb and at worst aggressively terrible.

On the one hand yes... but on the other hand ... LIGHTSABER KNEES!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sydin posted:

Where do Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, and Mara Jade fall on that dumb/aggressively terrible spectrum? Or are they in the 5% that's good?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What's the name of the brontosaurus things?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sydin posted:

I expect that many characters, items/elements of the EU/Legends to eventually crawl back into SW cannon as time carries on, it might be a familiar name or even some ship with the current SW time line mindset behind it. Thrawn showing up and Tython being name dropped are proof it's already happening.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Man, I have no patience anymore. I've been a big supporter of having streaming shows released week-to-week, but I've finally hit a point where I need to know what's going to happen, even though I'm sure things won't be answered this season.

I kind of feel like I would enjoy this show more if I hadn't watched Clone Wars or Rebels. They keep bringing up all these story elements that I genuinely want to see resolved, or know what happened. "Oh, cool, there's Bo-Katan! Maybe now we can get some information about how she lost the Dark Sabre and what happened after- oh, wait, no. Never mind. She's gone. But hey, look, there's Asohka! Awesome! Last time we saw her, she was with Sabine, looking for Ezra and Thrawn and- oh, she's still looking for Thrawn! I wonder if she'll... oh, I guess she's just staying there. Hmm."

It's just distracting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Where do Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, and Mara Jade fall on that dumb/aggressively terrible spectrum? Or are they in the 5% that's good?

Mara Jade nooooo. Katarn is out because he's a Jedi, Rendar maybe.

What I think we all really want to see is obvious: Kyp Durron and his Magnificent Sun Crushinator.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Masters of Teras Kasi was the bomb, y’all.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

zoux posted:

Mara Jade nooooo

It's not a matter of if people like Mara Jade show, it's a question of when.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

teagone posted:

Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors good, Dash Rendar aggressively terrible, Mara Jade sliding across the entire spectrum depending on who's writing her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In s3 Mando will have a 2 episode story arc where he has to fight in a tournament. The prize is even more beskar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Thrawn name drop was given a lot of dramatic weight for something that a lot of people won't get. It's something they avoided with Asohka, Bo-Katan, and the Darksaber.

teagone posted:

Katarn and Jade are good, Dash is too generic to be good or bad.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Man, I have no patience anymore. I've been a big supporter of having streaming shows released week-to-week, but I've finally hit a point where I need to know what's going to happen, even though I'm sure things won't be answered this season.

I kind of feel like I would enjoy this show more if I hadn't watched Clone Wars or Rebels. They keep bringing up all these story elements that I genuinely want to see resolved, or know what happened. "Oh, cool, there's Bo-Katan! Maybe now we can get some information about how she lost the Dark Sabre and what happened after- oh, wait, no. Never mind. She's gone. But hey, look, there's Asohka! Awesome! Last time we saw her, she was with Sabine, looking for Ezra and Thrawn and- oh, she's still looking for Thrawn! I wonder if she'll... oh, I guess she's just staying there. Hmm."

It's just distracting.

Don't worry. They'll all get together in the season finale. .

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This epsisode was aggressively boring. Star Wars does not need another low-energy lightsaber fight. Ugh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

During the episode, at the really obvious moment, I blurted out "ROUND 1... FIGHT!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everyone posted:

Not in every way. Lars Mikkelson creates Thrawn with just his voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWe6jmJ9q5c

Without that voice you just have a dude in blue makeup.

Speaking of that, 90s Jeffrey Combs would have been insanely good for that. The character he played (the most, he was a few different folks) on DS9, Weyoun, there weren't a lot of points were he got to be truly ruthless or go full dead eyed pragmatism but the times he did completely stole those episodes.

Dang Chiana's people in Farscape were similar, their entire thing was getting like nerve stapled so you act more logically and practically, I guess Thrawn was just the first of many blue skinned practical jerks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of that, 90s Jeffrey Combs would have been insanely good for that. The character he played (the most, he was a few different folks) on DS9, Weyoun, there weren't a lot of points were he got to be truly ruthless or go full dead eyed pragmatism but the times he did completely stole those episodes.

He's also got a lot of experience wearing blue makeup.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy moly. What an episode.

Super awesome they didn’t piddle around with Ahsoka and instead just instantly dropped her right into our laps at the beginning.

I was kind of disappointed they set up Thrawn as a Big Bad, because I was really hoping Bariss would be teased since Ahsoka still has beef with her.

But: I still got to watch a Jedi and a Mandalorian try to reason with a baby Yoda on my tv screen and that made my dumb 1995 Star Wars loving fifth grader heart happy

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Thrawn name drop was given a lot of dramatic weight for something that a lot of people won't get. It's something they avoided with Asohka, Bo-Katan, and the Darksaber.

There's a lot of "wait what the gently caress" type energy surrounding those two reveals for new viewers I'm sure. The air of mystique surrounding who Ahsoka is and who she is looking for and why Moff Gideon has a lightsaber/wants the child are pretty similar imo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Teras Kasai is name dropped in Solo so it is actual cannon.

Also explains why Luke/etc. aren't around right now as most of the galaxy's most powerful warriors are competing in the Teras Kasai tournament (this is why Boba Fett didn't follow Mando after the first episode he got his armor back and entered the tournament instead)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1332440871657218054

I like Grogu but still funny

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

While I hate the name I'll give them credit for not doing a Y base named.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Electric Baby Grogu

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yogu

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors good, Dash Rendar aggressively terrible, Mara Jade sliding across the entire spectrum depending on who's writing her.

Dash is a fun kind of terrible though.

I just want to otherwise gush for a moment about the sound design, or in a way, the pointedly lack of sound design in places around Ahsoka's lightsabers. I love that they don't have the trademark idle crackle and hum that normal lightsabers have, that they only make a sound when she swings them. That paired with the white light makes them feel like they're something purer and more refined than a regular lightsaber. It further add to the air around Ahsoka that she was The One Jedi Who Got It Right.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Grogu is a fantastic name and lends itself to another well-written show, American Dad.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I love that they switch the subtitles from "The Child" to "Grogu" right after they reveal his name.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
They were SO QUICK on the wiki page

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

sticklefifer posted:

I enjoyed the episode a lot, and really liked the samurai film homages. Though as someone who's seen the OT dozens of times, but only watched the prequels exactly once when they came out and never watched Clone Wars, season 2 definitely lends itself to fanservice way more than season 1. Other than cultural osmosis I wouldn't know who Ahsoka was, and until looking it up I didn't know who Bo-Katan or Thrawn were, so even though the episode was really cool and a lot of fun, a lot of the references and big reveals are lost on the casual fan. Like I said I enjoyed it, but if they're going to lean hard into the extended cinematic universe, I wish they'd set it up a little better with more in-show exposition or context.

I actually wondered about that, as you have a point and because I'm a huge dork I've been watching people react to this episode and Bo-Katan's episode and for the most part people who hadn't seen anything but the movies reactions have been "wow these ladies are hard as nails and mad about things what a bunch of badasses."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Last Call posted:

While I hate the name I'll give them credit for not doing a Y base named.

Only the movies do the Y-name anyway. The three other named Yodas from Legends stay away from it (Vandar, Oteg, and Minch). At least they didn't name him Buffy or Bunden Debannen.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

On the one hand yes... but on the other hand ... LIGHTSABER KNEES!

I had no idea what this referred to, so I literally Googled "lightsaber knees" and:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My favourite part about the sound design of Ahsoka's lightsabers was how menacing the snap-hiss was when she was sneaking around.

teagone posted:

There's a lot of "wait what the gently caress" type energy surrounding those two reveals for new viewers I'm sure. The air of mystique surrounding who Ahsoka is and who she is looking for and why Moff Gideon has a lightsaber/wants the child are pretty similar imo.

There is, but the image of a unique lightsaber communicates a lot more to a casual Star Wars viewer than a namedrop of a great EU character.

Don't get me wrong, the Thrawn reveal got an audible :tviv: from me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Or a far cheaper option that could still pull off the look

And I think Matt could handle the voice pretty well

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

grogu is a silly name so I hope the characters on the show continue to refer to him as BABY YODA as they have been (haven't rewatched any episodes so I could be misremembering)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's gonna be Lars. The only way it isn't at this point is if he says no to reprising the role.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

romanowski posted:

grogu is a silly name so I hope the characters on the show continue to refer to him as BABY YODA as they have been (haven't rewatched any episodes so I could be misremembering)

Baby Yoda is entirely a fan / media / production thing.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I had no idea what this referred to, so I literally Googled "lightsaber knees" and:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress

We don't like to talk about that.

It's the one thing that can be fairly safe to say will never show up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fartington Butts posted:

What's the name of the brontosaurus things?

They look like Morrowind Silt Striders.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Last Call posted:

We don't like to talk about that.

It's the one thing that can be fairly safe to say will never show up.

It doesn't even have a laser dick how shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm trying to decide if this was an empty post or not.