Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It jsut works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Servers appear to be up.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Has the fotm guns changed at all with magic weapon nerf? I went back to two handed melee, pulled out my mini gun and def noticed I’m chewing thru a lot more ammo now.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

all negative effects from hunger and thirst removed, replaced by buffs from eating and drinking. sounds fine to me. Was annoying when I had to stop building or crafting to drink water or whatever.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Roman posted:

all negative effects from hunger and thirst removed, replaced by buffs from eating and drinking. sounds fine to me. Was annoying when I had to stop building or crafting to drink water or whatever.

You’re lying. Please tell me you’re not lying.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So there's a new patch out? The stuff added in the last two patches/seasons or whatever was so underwhelming for my style of play (I mostly play the game as if it was singleplayer) that I stopped playing completely

is there some new "single-player-like" content? New quests, or at least new gear that's not just a repaint of old gear?

e: google answered my questions already, and it seems it's time to login again for me :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

jabro posted:

You’re lying. Please tell me you’re not lying.

It’s true

“We agree with feedback from the community that our hunger and thirst mechanics could feel a little too punishing. We’ve decided to remove the negative effects when you’re hungry or thirsty, and buff up the bonuses you receive when you’re fed and hydrated.

Going forward, your Action Points, Health, and Disease Resists will no longer be negatively affected when you haven’t had anything to eat or drink recently.

Instead, you will receive buffs that increase depending on how full your hunger and thirst meters are:

Hunger: Gain +15 Max HP when partially fed, up to +35 Max HP, +35% Disease Resist, and +1 Strength when fully fed.

Thirst: Gain +15% AP Regeneration when partially hydrated, up to +35% AP Regeneration, +35% Disease Resist, and +1 Endurance when fully hydrated.”

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/7sARlh1E2yHEwVnKrsyqIv/fallout-76-steel-dawn-update-notes-november-24-2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Played the new short storyline, its ok. I would prefer to wipe the brotherhood out and call it a better day for this nuked part of the world but it's setting up the next update.

Here's the size of the fallout shelters you can build, basically instanced camps.

This is what everyone gets for free. Fo1st get another version and then there's another version also coming in the atom store which I assume is the largest.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How do you start them? I couldn't figure it out when I popped in briefly last night.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Steel dawn is added automatically when you log in. It asks you to tune into a radio station. Completing the original story may be required because spoilers.

Fallout shelters is a poster at train stations that send you to the vault to get your free shelter.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Skeezy posted:

It’s true

“We agree with feedback from the community that our hunger and thirst mechanics could feel a little too punishing. We’ve decided to remove the negative effects when you’re hungry or thirsty, and buff up the bonuses you receive when you’re fed and hydrated.

Going forward, your Action Points, Health, and Disease Resists will no longer be negatively affected when you haven’t had anything to eat or drink recently.

Instead, you will receive buffs that increase depending on how full your hunger and thirst meters are:

Hunger: Gain +15 Max HP when partially fed, up to +35 Max HP, +35% Disease Resist, and +1 Strength when fully fed.

Thirst: Gain +15% AP Regeneration when partially hydrated, up to +35% AP Regeneration, +35% Disease Resist, and +1 Endurance when fully hydrated.”

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/7sARlh1E2yHEwVnKrsyqIv/fallout-76-steel-dawn-update-notes-november-24-2020

Awesome. Thanks!

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
If you have a cow at you camp, you can build a hinged spike trap and launch it with it. Pretty fun distraction.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can you only get the little utility room shelter right now? Where's the big one? I thought it was supposed to be buyable.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So a BoS checkpoint moved in next to my CAMP and apparently my gun turrets don't get along with my new neighbors. Free weapons and armor for me I guess.

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum

bird with big dick posted:

Can you only get the little utility room shelter right now? Where's the big one? I thought it was supposed to be buyable.

They're coming out next week on the originally scheduled patch day, per the notes:

quote:

Please Note: Since we decided to release Steel Dawn early, only the Vault Utility Room will be available on November 24. The Vault Lobby and Atrium described below will arrive at a later date.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Is there a difference between the Fallout 76 on Steam and the Fallout 76 Launcher? I have to download Many Updates so just installing the whole thing again doesn't seem like a big deal.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Twincityhacker posted:

Is there a difference between the Fallout 76 on Steam and the Fallout 76 Launcher? I have to download Many Updates so just installing the whole thing again doesn't seem like a big deal.
it just launches like any other Steam game and you won't need the Bethesda launcher. It's not like Ubisoft games where you also need their launcher along with Steam.

If you're transfering the game/characters to Steam, I don't know if you can still do that for free

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 26, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think it still uses the same account unless you change it. A while back I did a free trial thing on the Bethesda launcher and when I actually got the game on steam I had the same character

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hey 76 Goons. I need help. I carry around way too much poo poo. I posted on Reddit but nobody is really helping.

I'm a Rifleman character and currently have 8 guns in my inventory. I should really offload some and I can't decide which. Please help.

https://imgur.com/a/Zuv0ITt
(Not pictured is a non-Legendary Fixer because I assume most of you know what that is, plus a Plasma Flamer that I only use for Earle)

Here is the method to my madness.. I'm a sneaky sniper Rifleman build that I cobbled together. I open with my Sniper Rifle if I'm being quiet, or my Gauss if I'm not. Or if I'm hunting big game, and I know it's going to be loud, I open with the Black Powder Rifle. It weighs less than a pound so it's easy to justify carrying. Once they're close, I switch to The Fixer to finish them off, or if I'm not trying to be stealthy, my Handmade.. or if they're Scorched, the lever-action. If there are groups of anything, I pull out the Tesla. That's also my Scorchbeast Queen fighter once she's on the ground as it hits her hard and seems to arc between body parts. The explosive rounds/reduced weight Combat Rifle is brand new, which is what made me finally decide that I need to fix some poo poo.

Please help me, friends.. I have no idea what I should sell off and what I should keep.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sell all those to the purvoyor for scrap.

Use this website to price items.
https://fed76.info/pricing/?item=None&effects=None

Tesla rifle and gauss rifle are the ones that are not worthless.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 27, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I was thinking of trying 76 now that people seem to have kinda turned around on it, I like loving around scrap hunting in FO4 after all, do I just dive in? Are there any early traps to avoid, any character building things I should push for to avoid pain? Is there a discord for organising with goons? Is multiplayer a constant or more a later thing when you're trying for dungeons and poo poo?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I was thinking of trying 76 now that people seem to have kinda turned around on it, I like loving around scrap hunting in FO4 after all, do I just dive in? Are there any early traps to avoid, any character building things I should push for to avoid pain? Is there a discord for organising with goons? Is multiplayer a constant or more a later thing when you're trying for dungeons and poo poo?

No traps. Just don't focus on a particular build too early since changing it later on will take time. gently caress around a bit and find out what you like/dislike and go from there.

Multiplayer is, sort of, a constant since you want to make sure that you're always on a team for the bonus that gives. Other then that you don't need to play with other people and can just go about your own business.

There are a couple of public events that you might want to play with other people for the extra firepower and backup but there isn't a single event that you can't solo. Note that you should not attempt to solo any of them on low levels. :)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The basic "casual" team is good for the int bonus which increases xp gain, iirc. There's a quest team but I rarely see those up.

Soloing the radioactive ore event is pretty difficult.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

F76 Steel Dawn quest was fun enough. Favorite part was "WELCOME, VALUED ENCLAVE MEMBER."

Isn't there supposed to be a new character to give technical data to?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Roman posted:

F76 Steel Dawn quest was fun enough. Favorite part was "WELCOME, VALUED ENCLAVE MEMBER."

Isn't there supposed to be a new character to give technical data to?

God if that’s the quest I just played I absolutely hated it - too long and just never lets up and of course I died right at the end which just sucks

I’m at l52 - tell me these enemies cap out at some point so I can feel like a badass - I’m hating every encounter with scorched

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

God if that’s the quest I just played I absolutely hated it - too long and just never lets up and of course I died right at the end which just sucks

I’m at l52 - tell me these enemies cap out at some point so I can feel like a badass - I’m hating every encounter with scorched

I just hit about level 120 and I would say it took me until about level 100 to start feeling like I could own everything with ease. By then I had picked up a bloodied+explosive 2 star handmade (as a stealth commando build) plus a full set of unyielding mismatched bits and bobs and figured out the right perks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

If you enjoy Fallout 4, I would recommend going through all of it's DLC and mods before transitioning into Fallout 76. The official FO4 DLC packs are pretty good, and the mod community has produced a ton of cool stuff (including free, high quality, DLC-sized expansions). I think Fallout 76, after 2+ years of Bethesda support, is still a lesser experience than FO4 is with community-made mod support.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Discospawn posted:

If you enjoy Fallout 4, I would recommend going through all of it's DLC and mods before transitioning into Fallout 76. The official FO4 DLC packs are pretty good, and the mod community has produced a ton of cool stuff (including free, high quality, DLC-sized expansions). I think Fallout 76, after 2+ years of Bethesda support, is still a lesser experience than FO4 is with community-made mod support.

Played a ton of heavily modded all dlc FO4. Currently waiting for Horizon 1.9.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I picked up 76 since it was on sale for cheap and the few hours I put into it so far have actually been pretty fun. So far at least I'd place it above 4 but still below 3 and NV. I'm surprised by how lovely it runs though. The game defaulted to Ultra settings and I get 20-30 FPS outside and 50 in indoor spaces, which is worse than every other game I've played in the past two years other than Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

i vomit kittens posted:

The game defaulted to Ultra settings and I get 20-30 FPS outside and 50 in indoor spaces, which is worse than every other game I've played in the past two years other than Microsoft Flight Simulator.
It used to run better for me in borderless windowed but since one of the last updates it runs like poo poo in that now, but VERY well in fullscreen

It's not optimized well, compared to Fallout 4. Things like shadows on Low are seven times what they are in Fo4 on Ultra.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
a page or two back we had some ini tweaks you can try. In particular, gently caress with the shadows - the presets are horrible

as in, on ultra low they look like garbage but stretch to infinity so they eat up a ton of resources. You can get better looking shadows and a 5-10 fps, stability boost by fudging a couple numbers

ps: rolling a guerilla (maybe hybrid with unarmed) for the new xpac. Any tips? I know for example the latter ranks of tank killer are bugged for pistols

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e: sorry wrong thread

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

bird with big dick posted:

e: sorry wrong thread

no no... go on...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Looks better than half the things I eat in-game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

New Leaf posted:

Looks better than half the game.
It's not like we're discussing the new content at the moment, might as well post meat in the meantime.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just don't try the iguana.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So is this game any good yet solo? Is it any better with a buddy? $26 for 2 copies doesnt seem terrible, but its still something in a sea of good games.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

buglord posted:

So is this game any good yet solo? Is it any better with a buddy? $26 for 2 copies doesnt seem terrible, but its still something in a sea of good games.

It's not bad solo.
It's not bad with a friend.

The game has stupid limitations and an absolutely infuriating RNG but if you can ignore those you can actually have fun with it. Don't expect a masterpiece, though, it's still a mediocre game that a lot of people, including myself, play for way too long for no reason other then it being a Fallout game...

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I play 99% solo and it's fine.

If you're expecting a Fallout where YOUR CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES you will be disappointed. But it's a big Fallout playground you can have fun in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
The game is intentionally designed to be simultaneously played alone and with others.