Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oxyclean posted:

Oh well then lol. Was going to be a bit miffed at the Canadian price, but that's in line with previous things.

I kinda like it, and am very glad there's an adjacent donut shop.
e:

lol

...is the newpaper man the doughnut thief!? Layers upon layers in this little modular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I legit thought he was trolling for a cop bite at first ahhaha

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That set has some nice touches. The video on the lego site shows a tunnel under the holding cell. Love the donut shop and the little newsstand.

I’ll be grabbing it, and I think it will fit in nicely with the rest of the city.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
You know, I am not as upset about the subject matter as I expected to be. It's an extremely lighthearted take, and the interior being full of rotary telephones and typewriters and junk helps further divorce it from reality. It feels pretty unstuck in time in that way that modulars are pretty good at doing, and pretty unrelatable to the present day, which is a boon. I think I can enjoy it in a vacuum.

Also, we're streaming tonight (7PM central)! I was thinking maybe we'd do something a little different, maybe knock out an idea for a much smaller build as a break from the book nook we've been doing. Solicitin' feedback in the discord so hit me up there instead of here - don't wanna clog the thread too much with streamchat.

edit: hot take alert: the police station's existence retroactively makes the book shop waaaaaaay better. Like, seeing them side-by-side, my fondness for the book shop has nearly doubled. These just look absolutely wonderful together.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 27, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Another thing I feel that's a plus is that the jail/prisoner aspect doesn't feel particularly strongly emphasized like you typically see in city police sets.

Definitely tempted to grab it since it's dropping the day before my birthday.

Pepe Salvia! (Yeah I know string boards are not unique to Always Sunny)

e: One gripe is they've gone to the 18+ branding & box, which, makes sense, but I kinda like less. Particularly the black-page instruction manuals.
e2: Love this Ninjago City x Downtown Diner Mashup from reddit:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 27, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hahaha I love the string board, wow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ditto, LEGO always wins over my cynical heart with cute details

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

They could've released this in a better year, but yeah this has more charming aspects emphasized over riot cops justifying their budget. I'm on the fence, and may customize it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's ok, but I think it'd be better without the thin building on the right. definiyely better looking than corner garage.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Scipiotik posted:

It's ok, but I think it'd be better without the thin building on the right. definiyely better looking than corner garage.

I hoped that was a spite house, but it's apparently the jail?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I don’t quite know why it’s a different color than the main tan station other than just to make the set more visually interesting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I hoped that was a spite house, but it's apparently the jail?
Yeah, ground floor is the cell and the 2nd floor is part of the police station. Purple side has a donut shop on ground level and a small apartment on the second.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone need an entire Gaylord full of Lego?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
More than $2 a pound? Pass.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sloppy posted:

Anyone need an entire Gaylord full of Lego?
I love looking through these lots to see what sets I can identify, though.

- A tree from 75810 The Upside Down
- Mega warthog and wraith?
- 7658 Y-Wing Fighter
- Bank of windows from 21134 The Waterfall Base
- Cockpit of 7641 MX-41 Switch Fighter
- Bucket and bodywork from 42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm my own gaylord of LEGO

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CommanderApaul posted:

I wasn't even aware of the dented features until it was mentioned in here and I'm assuming they mean the two 1x4 gear-track tiles on the hood and the ladder piece on the trunk, neither of which struck me as "body damage" when I was putting it together

I'm not sure about the ladder piece, but the original vehicle does have a grill or vent thingy on the hood. I think that's what those gear tiles are trying to suggest.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Got to see the new modular today, ya know, like everyone else. I'm mixed. First, I don't care for it. The shape of the building on the outside is very boring to me. The huge tan facade won't look good on display for me. Checking other modulars they do have tan facades, but it's not the whole building like this one is. Second, I do love the little donut details and adore the donut shop. Which makes it harder to say no, but I only pick up sets I love entirely any more. My greatest disappointment of this is they finally did a purple building and it's in one I don't want to get. Which means Lego won't be doing another purple building in the future.

I am now up to three modulars I'm skipping out on; Fire Brigade, Corner Garage, and Police Station.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nth Doctor posted:

They could've released this in a better year, but yeah this has more charming aspects emphasized over riot cops justifying their budget. I'm on the fence, and may customize it.

Yeah if I get it it'll be in a few years so I can modify / MOC it into something. Got to get Assembly Square first, at the very least.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah if I get it it'll be in a few years so I can modify / MOC it into something. Got to get Assembly Square first, at the very least.

Assembly Square is hands down the best modular. If you’re going to get just one make it that one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Earth posted:

Assembly Square is hands down the best modular. If you’re going to get just one make it that one.

I'd have got it this year but I picked up the Tree House first because I was worried about it retiring.

Got the Parisian Restaurant sitting here to reward myself when I finish some projects.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah if I get it it'll be in a few years so I can modify / MOC it into something.
Someone mentioned turning it into a library, which I like the idea of, given its form.

Streamin' in about 20 mins, also.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah I have a hard rule now not to buy police or military toys because gently caress positively branding either of those professions. Give me a sanitation engineer set first please. They work hard to make the world better, which is more than team warrior ever does, no matter how cute the toys get. Hard pass and disappointed lego didn’t make literally any other reasonable civic building from library to health clinic to wacky dentist turned city planner. That the set has character makes it worse not better, IMO.

Definitely saving money on my lego Christmas buy this year.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Anias posted:

Yeah I have a hard rule now not to buy police or military toys because gently caress positively branding either of those professions.

Can we please stop with this bullshit already in the lego thread before a mod has to remind you AGAIN. Just wanna talk about bricks man.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I wish the same restriction could be levied upon
-posts that are just "set X is in stock" "set Y is sold out"
-complaints about long delivery times as if a global pandemic isn't throttling international shipping
-keening about not getting enough VIP points or the points being too difficult to redeem

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I put together the GWPs tonight. The Dickens set is cute and has a little drawer built in to the spine without anything to put into it which seemed a little odd.

The teal brick came together really quickly, and is a fun shelf piece. I need to go buy the red brick off of bricklink to match up the set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's easy to deal with. Buy 3 people packs. Load the station up with them. Take the police minifigs, put them in front with their heads removed and scattered around. Done. Maybe build a guillotine to put outside, too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Can we please stop with this bullshit already in the lego thread before a mod has to remind you AGAIN. Just wanna talk about bricks man.

Ok let me try again.

This is a tired, phoned in, lovely concept, and badly built mess.

There you go. It's not really about ACAB to me as much as it's about there being thousands of better more interesting modular things that could have been here and this is so painfully generic it's just ugh.

If you want a cool LEO thing? Show us the medical examiner! Jails are loving dull. Precincts are boring. Get us a forensics lab. Maybe show us the loving garage even. There's a lot of space here for more interesting than Donut Shop and Always Sunny references, and you can show off the things that are -good- about Law Enforcement Orgs which are almost always not the job of beat cops and their supervisors. Hell, the switchboard would probably be more fun to build than yet another office room (Now with bars!).

Waltzing Along posted:

It's easy to deal with. Buy 3 people packs. Load the station up with them. Take the police minifigs, put them in front with their heads removed and scattered around. Done. Maybe build a guillotine to put outside, too.

Uh, no thanks. I'd rather not encourage lego to keep making lovely phoned in stuff in this vein. So yeah, hard pass on generic phoned in warrior culture stuff that's trying to score a quick buck on the controversy from people who want to "support their team" or apparently staging creepy murder scenes or w/e the gently caress justifies buying this thing instead of any of thousands more interesting builds. Tell me more about that ninjago gardens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

Police are inherently political especially now. Toys that play up the friendly, saccharine movie persona of small town cops are a problem. Lego has had a long, weird history of police sets, disproportionate to all the other town sets. Was that "removal in solidarity" thing by lego with all the cop sets a hoax or did it actually happen, I forget. If it's real, it's especially hosed in respect to them putting this out a few months later. They could easily have repurposed the parts for a different build like the above mentioned library instead of another police station in response to what happened over the summer.

Make a food bank set, a community center set, an arcade, a clothing shop, a fire department, something like that. Not this Pleasantville rendition of a cop hq.

To stifle discussion about why folks might have a problem with this sets existence really sucks

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 28, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All LEGO cops are bastards

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really is a crap discussion that no one has added anything of value to in months.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

Police are inherently political especially now. Toys that play up the friendly, saccharine movie persona of small town cops are a problem. ... To stifle discussion about why folks might have a problem with this sets existence really sucks
I feel like this is a really, really important piece of the puzzle that Reddit, Eurobricks, and all the other sites trying to shut down "political discussion" are missing - the very existence of this thing is political, and whitewashed portrayals of police as unequivocal "good guys" is political. That is to say: shutting down challenges to this notion is - whether deliberate or not - lending credence to that narrative. So refusing to allow a discussion of that aspect of it and allowing this portrayal to continue uninterrupted is, unfortunately, a political act. Since LEGO decided this set needs to exist in a year where the American public approval of the police is at an all-time low (below 50%), then its very existence is the inciting incident, not the discussions that result from it.

There is no easy answer here and I do not envy the position of a mod that has to somehow reconcile a "no politics" rule with an official LEGO set that is political.

Oh a lighter note, this was our best stream yet (IMO) and I'm really happy with the new li'l build we have going! I think we'll finish banging it out next week.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Even if the bricks had already been produced, this could have been very easily adapted into a museum. That would have been absolutely fantastic and joyful, instead of a symbol of oppression for so many people.

The fact that policing in the United States has its origins in Slave Patrols and that modern police are a paramilitary force just makes me wonder why Lego would do this, especially right now. I thought the company eschewed themes that promote violence?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I really like these tiny sets. I've said it so many times, but I really wish Lego would make another one.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I like that build so far carb.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

I feel like this is a really, really important piece of the puzzle that Reddit, Eurobricks, and all the other sites trying to shut down "political discussion" are missing - the very existence of this thing is political, and whitewashed portrayals of police as unequivocal "good guys" is political. That is to say: shutting down challenges to this notion is - whether deliberate or not - lending credence to that narrative. So refusing to allow a discussion of that aspect of it and allowing this portrayal to continue uninterrupted is, unfortunately, a political act. Since LEGO decided this set needs to exist in a year where the American public approval of the police is at an all-time low (below 50%), then its very existence is the inciting incident, not the discussions that result from it.

There is no easy answer here and I do not envy the position of a mod that has to somehow reconcile a "no politics" rule with an official LEGO set that is political.

Oh a lighter note, this was our best stream yet (IMO) and I'm really happy with the new li'l build we have going! I think we'll finish banging it out next week.

I didn't catch it this week, have you abandoned the Moroccan street?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lego is not an American company.

"Police" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, even within the same country.

This set was conceived and designed before the George Floyd protests- this modular police station is not a response to these by Lego saying "we stand with cops" :patriot: , or worse, "all lives matter" :downs:

It's also extremely US-centric to think this set (that again, was planned in advance) should have been pulled solely due to events in America- I guess the whole rest of the world doesn't get a modular because the entire nation of America poo poo the bed? As someone who doesn't live there, I say no thanks, but there are some to whom it is inconceivable that the rest of the world wouldn't deprive itself needlessly of a toy because the US offends its own sensibilities with regards to civil and human rights.

In the world of Lego, the minifigures take on whatever personality you're giving them. Your Lego cops are only bastards if you want them to be. The world of Lego is a peaceful cosmopolitan society, but notice like with any source of entertainment, there needs to be interesting conflict between characters in the form of opposing factions. In the Richard Scarry-esque world of Lego and long-established career archetypes, it would not be controversial to say that the police are the "good" guys (and conversely, they're only the good guys if you want them to be) that oppose a faction that explicitly commits crime (robbers who are the same color as the police, who depending on your sense of justice are the "real" good guys).

I won't be buying the set because I don't find it terribly interesting, and I will avoid making terrible performative jokes about guillotines and arson. My favorite modulars are the ones that go all in on the "mixed use" aspect, and are a visibly eclectic combination of different businesses (Assembly Square being the GOAT). I do see potential with this one and the Bookstore (turning the station into a giant Strand Books-style bookstore and the smaller blue building into the Police Station).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Counterpoint: the set prominently features donuts. Donuts and american cops is a long standing trope. In other words, this set is based on US cops.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Counterpoint: the set prominently features donuts. Donuts and american cops is a long standing trope. In other words, this set is based on US cops.

Not sure how that's a "counter" point but much like the licensed sets, the answer for not liking it is "don't buy it" as opposed to "they never should have made it because I don't want it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whether one chooses to buy a thing or not has absolutely no relevance to critiquing its existence.

It's valid critique and it's tone deaf of Lego and since the police aren't going to fix themselves (and not just in the US, despite what recent events suggest police brutality and racism is a global problem) the only way to do anything about it is to talk about it and bring people's attention to it until public opinion shifts sufficiently that our politicians are forced to change something.