Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's also this mod that retextures all pipe weapons to look more like older metals, rather than rusty crap. It's what I use as I actually kind of like the pipe guns.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43173

This is what I use for pipe gun replacers. It remodels them all to not look like dogshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonkish posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43173

This is what I use for pipe gun replacers. It remodels them all to not look like dogshit.

That's the one I was thinking of, yes it makes them look much better.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

aniviron posted:

I also find that it helps to add in weapons like the Schofield No. 2, Mauser (Chinese pistol), N99 10mm pistol, 10mm SMG, trench shotgun, etc. These spawn on raiders too, and it gives them more weapon variety and makes them worth looting sometimes without being a huge jump in power.

That's what I was trying to do with my Big Pile O' Mods build, add "appropriate" antiques and at least cut down the amount of 1) total jank and 2) dear god Bethesda this looks like hammered poo poo.

Of course, there were (and probably still are) fewer mods of that type, and ten billion ULTRA TACTICAL MODERN CALL OF COUNTER GUN DUTY STRIKE GUN things, both weaponry and gear. <sigh> Just wanted a simple folding-stock FAL in baby-poo poo Rhodesian camo, and original Vietnam-era tigerstripe fatigues. And assholes running around with single-action Colts revolvers, beater Winchester leverguns and hosed-up pump shotguns that someone dredged out of the wrecked cop car in the river.

Best pipe-type weapon mod I found was the home-made (?) revolver, because it fit the whole "overengineered heavy garage build" aesthetic. Especially if you were making cinder-block sized 12-gauge no-barrel bellyguns to hand out to setters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The homemade revolver also has a simple blowback by the same author, i think, to go with it. With the option of I think three bayonets if you want :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone got any recommendations for energy weapons that also adds themselves to a leveled list?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I haven't used this one in a while, but I remember liking the Plasma Cycler: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21922

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo that's perfect, I've been looking for an energy revolver for the longest time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wish Horizon 1.9 would drop already, I feel like another run but kinda want to wait for it.

Also fairly sure if I start one, I'll get just deep enough it'll be annoying to start again and it will come out.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also fairly sure if I start one, I'll get just deep enough it'll be annoying to start again and it will come out.

That's the position I'm in, but all the while, a longer break from FO4 just means it won't feel as familiar when firing it back up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a non modding FO4 thread?

Was wondering people’s thoughts on the merits of the pistol perk (gunslinger) vs rifleman vs the automatic weapon perk (commando). Seems like pistols are better optimized for VATS cheese due to lower AP usage per shot (especially with the Deliverer) but not as good at long range? and then in the later game you have guns like Combat Rifle that can’t be used as a pistol.

Automatic seems less useful at first where you’re in more of an ammo crunch and want to maximize damage output per ammo, but in later game situations when you’ve moved onto 308 and 45 for your heavy hitters, pipe automatic becomes a cheap dump gun for clearing trash?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 27, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Do those perks benefit shotguns (semi auto and auto) as well?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

flightless greeb posted:

Do those perks benefit shotguns (semi auto and auto) as well?

Shotgun is considered a rifle and rifleman counts (it is one of the heavy hitter early weapons that is affected if you take that perk, and there is no pistol option available, only short stock or full stock).

Not sure on automatic but I’d assume yes if the shotgun counts for the semi auto perk.

edit: yes Automatic Combat Shotgun is listed as affected on fo4wiki

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 27, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Anyone know a good mod that allows for legendary clothing/hemets/glasses and adds them to the game normally? It looks like there are a few, some of which need other mods to function. Either that or they add the ability to just slap on legendary traits to clothes as you like, which is a bit more that I want.

Also, any mods that add a bit of Verdancy to the commonwealth? Grey rock and brown dirt gets old after a while, and I still find it silly that there is no real greenery after 200+ years.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ashsaber posted:

Anyone know a good mod that allows for legendary clothing/hemets/glasses and adds them to the game normally? It looks like there are a few, some of which need other mods to function. Either that or they add the ability to just slap on legendary traits to clothes as you like, which is a bit more that I want.

Also, any mods that add a bit of Verdancy to the commonwealth? Grey rock and brown dirt gets old after a while, and I still find it silly that there is no real greenery after 200+ years.

I don't know of anything that adds a bunch of new legendary gear but crafting framework lets you recycle the garbage one to add legendary effects to stuff you craft:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40650
It adds some of the FO76 Legendary effects.

For greening up Boston I like Grasslands and Commonwealth Conifers
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11267
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16509

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

8one6 posted:

I don't know of anything that adds a bunch of new legendary gear but crafting framework lets you recycle the garbage one to add legendary effects to stuff you craft:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40650
It adds some of the FO76 Legendary effects.

For greening up Boston I like Grasslands and Commonwealth Conifers
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11267
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16509

Conifers and Grasslands are exactly the sort of thing I wanted, thank you so much. Sad that it looks like legendary gear is off the table unless I want to craft my own though.

Again, thank you.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a non modding FO4 thread?

Was wondering people’s thoughts on the merits of the pistol perk (gunslinger) vs rifleman vs the automatic weapon perk (commando). Seems like pistols are better optimized for VATS cheese due to lower AP usage per shot (especially with the Deliverer) but not as good at long range? and then in the later game you have guns like Combat Rifle that can’t be used as a pistol.

Automatic seems less useful at first where you’re in more of an ammo crunch and want to maximize damage output per ammo, but in later game situations when you’ve moved onto 308 and 45 for your heavy hitters, pipe automatic becomes a cheap dump gun for clearing trash?

There is a non modding thread but basically people only talk about Fallout 76 in it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo this game feels better on an SSD. So much less random stuttering.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Holy poo poo this game feels better on an SSD. So much less random stuttering.

Be sure to get the load speed fixer if you haven't already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Thanks I'll make sure to grab it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What does a “normal” combat load look like for people in terms of weight? In the early game I’m normally running about 80 pounds but that’s with me carrying a few more weapons than I probably absolutely need to (both a pipe sniper and a hunting rifle, and an auto pipe rifle, and a shotgun, etc...). Could probably slim that down a bit but 20 extra pounds isn’t really making or breaking me (not doing survival)

Chronojam posted:

I need to get that, I’ve been thinking the load times are just atrocious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

What does a “normal” combat load look like for people in terms of weight? In the early game I’m normally running about 80 pounds but that’s with me carrying a few more weapons than I probably absolutely need to (both a pipe sniper and a hunting rifle, and an auto pipe rifle, and a shotgun, etc...). Could probably slim that down a bit but 20 extra pounds isn’t really making or breaking me (not doing survival)

cheating/modding my carry weight up to the point i can take literally every object in a dungeon out of it without getting overloaded.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does that include the power armor, if you're not running a personal jetpack mod? Because jetpacking is fun, and lets you get to more places to start/finish a fight - I'm looking at you, feral hordes and deathclaws.

It's been forever since I actually played FO4, but IIRC unmodded I generally kept the Deliverator Deliverer, combat shotgun, sniper-type of some sort and a combat rifle, for slugthrowers. Laser rifle and plasma chopped to pistol for pew-pews, and I hardly ever did missile launchers and minguns/energy gatlings. (When I hit Nuka World and got AKs, especially the ones just lying about to steal/bullshit your way into getting, I'd (vanilla game) mod one into the sniper and the other into a Krink, and thus drop the original sniper and combat rifle from the loadout.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Paul MaudDib posted:

My normal load out (without power armor) is around 150lbs between a couple of full auto guns (one energy one ballistic), full combat armor, and a bunch of consumables I almost never use.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

8one6 posted:

a bunch of consumables I almost never use.

It's not an open world rpg unless you finish the game with a zillion powerful healing items in your inventory you have never used and will never use because you're "saving them" for "the right moment" when you "really need them".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How is Sim Settlements 2 looking? Bugs get squashed?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Leal posted:

How is Sim Settlements 2 looking? Bugs get squashed?

The latest patch seems to have eliminated my multiple-bed issues but there's still little bits and bobs of fuckery to deal with. Personally I'm thinking of putting it aside until a Horizon patch comes along.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm level 55 and have 300+ stimpacks I'm gonna use am all someday.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
As a horrible hoarder of in games, at the end of one New Vegas run, I pulled all my drugs, alcohol and more useful food from storage, went to the start point for the Hoover Dam battle, and sucked nearly all of it down. (Some of the night-vision stuff made me totally blind.) A trainload of Nukas and Sunsets, enough Jet and derivatives to make the Moon start slamdancing, you know, the usual.

The entire fight and about half the post-fight dialogue was in slo-mo, and I was just sprinting up and fire-axing everyone, including wossname the Legion warlord. :black101:

Took forever, though, 500+ Nukas take quite a while to drink.

Even sillier was a Skyrim modset that added racial bonuses, including Mighty Pounce and claw attacks for Khajit. On top of the modded unarmed fighting. And the killmove mod. Plus the "useful crates and barrels", which mode the smaller casks full of alcohol and skooma, which you could decant into empty bottles or just drink straight from the spigot.

Did I mention the mod thad made skooma actually useful? Movement and attack speed boosts (slo-mo) and i think melee buffs as well?

And the duration stacked? :catdrugs::getin:

Start outside dude's castle at the other end of Riften lake, where there was a cart with a cask that was dependably skooma. Shred through said castle like Chev Chelios playing Wolverine, still be all tweaked at the end, so run all the way to Whiterun murdering everything along the way, and end up at that little smuggler den on the north side to restock, but with enough Cornholio-mode for another three minutes of realtime. Go cat-fu'ing giants and mammoths.

Dammit, now I want my Jet implant from New Vegas in FO4.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've been playing a sim settlements 2 game up to like level 63 or something now and have hit a few serious bugs I had to stop and look up online (I've hit about the same number that were inherent to FO4 itself too) nothing super frustrating like CTDs but stuff like getting stuck in weird dialogue mode, unable to locate quest items or quest givers etc. Only one of them so far was actually unsolvable and was apparently just fixed in the patch that came out on Friday.

I never played SS1 or horizon or conquerors (I don't even know what they are!) so I'm not missing any functionality tho, but if you're like me I'd say SS2 works well enough to recommend. I'm super impressed with the obvious amount of work that went into this mod, more work than any mod for any game I've ever played I think. Like if this were made by a developer I'd expect it to be like $40 DLC or something. Even the voice acting is varied and fairly passable - like you can usually tell when a character is from the mod but not always (which is partially a reflection on Bethesda's own in house quality anyway lol)

The parts I'm actually must frustrated with are just the lack of documentation about game mechanics - like how do I increase people's recreation / happiness. Recreational plots sort of seem like you need one person in a settlement since they get assigned to an individual as a 'hobby' but kinggaths video on the subject about SS1 doesn't seem to apply? I failed at googling the answer anyway and it's been long enough since I played original FO4 that I don't remember how to manage regular happiness anyway lol

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

People mentioned the load time mod, which one specifically is good? Actually just in general what are the best performance mods to grab?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

People mentioned the load time mod, which one specifically is good? Actually just in general what are the best performance mods to grab?

There's one that basically uncaps the frame rate during loading, and/or gives you keybinds to do so.

Because the load speed is tied to framerate of course.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Time for the end of year 2020 mod dump. We got some good, bad, weird and interesting ones like always. Something to keep us occupied while we wait for FNV to come to Fallout 4 in mod form already!

WEAPONS!

Dual .44 Magnums
Buck Eye Hunting Rifle
Tula Arms TOZ-194 Shotgun
AA-12 Shotgun
Silverballer pistol from Hitman franchise
Derringer Pistol
Heavy Select Industrial Shotgun
Robocop M93R auto 9
H.A.R.M Laser Pistol
FG-42
The Laser Series high resolution retextures of base game laser weapons.
The Plasma Project
DavesMods - Defense Gun Scopes
Kukri
Standalone Fallout 3 Trench Knife
Cyberpunk 2077 - Thermal Katana
Jarate AKA piss in a jar

ARMOR AND CLOTHING!

Jack And Jill's Armored Duster Mask set
Retextured Classic Vault Suit
Magos - WH40K Tech-Priest Armour and Weapon
Utility Belt mirrors grenades/food and drink/healing stuff you actually have equipped.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Backpacks

MECHANICS AND ADDITIONAL ERATA!

Forever Radiation Extends Fat Man, Nuka Grenade, and car explosion radiation zone time to 1 week or 1 game year.
Silent Ghoul Ambushes
Mark and Recall - Basic Teleportation
Settlement Delivery Bots
Toyosu Cart
Metal Gear Solid - Cardboard Box system
Mojave Mantises

HOUSING!
Japanese Starlight A Japanese Traditional Home
La Santa Rosa Player House At Sea

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh, do the Delivery Bots not take a settler slot? Once I have the ability, I usually ended up making UPS bots (Unstoppable Psychotic Sentry), which are always fun to come across in the wild. "NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW NOR MIRELURKS NOR GUNNERS SHALL STOP ME IN MY APPOINTED ROUNDS!" as it fights it's way through Quincy.

Forever Radiation sounds like fun - long-term area denial, especially on certain bridges and highway spans. *Especially* if it hits NPCs - nuke the poo poo out of a location, kite via long-range harassing fire.

"Sorry about your friend that was kidnapped, that's been a rad zone the past three days, they're dead. So are the ones who took 'em, though, so that's taken care of."

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Time for the end of year 2020 mod dump. We got some good, bad, weird and interesting ones like always. Something to keep us occupied while we wait for FNV to come to Fallout 4 in mod form already!

Thank you for continuing to do this. I always seem to find some gems in these lists that I missed by just checking the trending mods on Nexus occasionally.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

40Inch posted:

Thank you for continuing to do this. I always seem to find some gems in these lists that I missed by just checking the trending mods on Nexus occasionally.

It's cool, I'm amazed modders are chipping away adding some great new things. The classic style weapon holster is the understated champion while Sim Settlements continues to grow.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Been playing cause whatever, I'll play 1.9 later if it drops anytime soon. Anyone got recs for a radio mod? Was looking at Jetfuel from what was easily visible on the nexus but was curious if anyone had better recs/reasons to avoid that one. 4's got a loot of problems, but I'd forgotten how bad it's default radio is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Sometimes Food posted:

Been playing cause whatever, I'll play 1.9 later if it drops anytime soon. Anyone got recs for a radio mod? Was looking at Jetfuel from what was easily visible on the nexus but was curious if anyone had better recs/reasons to avoid that one. 4's got a loot of problems, but I'd forgotten how bad it's default radio is.

I like WRAR, it has it's own commercials to break up the songs and an optional plug in that starts a quest if you want lore for your radio station.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43545

Song list here
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2262

The Bleachers is a quest mod, but it comes with it's own radio station that's available from the start that plays smooth jazz and imo it's worth it just for this
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40267

And then if you own New Vegas and are willing to put in a little work there's also this mod that just puts in Radio New Vegas and Mojave Radio
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24320

I don't care what anyone says, New Vegas' radio is good.

Apologies if you actually hate all this music

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's a good one, lots of the music is Boston-local and very catchy tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like WRAR, it has it's own commercials to break up the songs and an optional plug in that starts a quest if you want lore for your radio station.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43545

Song list here
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2262

The Bleachers is a quest mod, but it comes with it's own radio station that's available from the start that plays smooth jazz and imo it's worth it just for this
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40267

And then if you own New Vegas and are willing to put in a little work there's also this mod that just puts in Radio New Vegas and Mojave Radio
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24320

I don't care what anyone says, New Vegas' radio is good.

Apologies if you actually hate all this music

Chronojam posted:

That's a good one, lots of the music is Boston-local and very catchy tunes.

Cheers I'll give Bleachers and Jetfuel a go. I do love Radio New Vegas (and Mr New Vegas) as well but I just did a New Vegas run so I think I'll skip it. Like I know expecting someone to kill it like Wayne Newton might have been a bit much but god Travis, both before and after his quest is so goddamn bad. And all the songs are about nuclear war? Like come on.