Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Stacking them up

If only Strava had local legends for uphill routes you'd never be unseated for Coon Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

If only Strava had local legends for uphill routes you'd never be unseated for Coon Hill

haha, It is only a 12 min drive.... we are going exploring tomorrow though. Might not be enough snow but we will see, further north but a bit lower elevation...

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Was the capacity reduction something like "Reduce to 50% of max capacity" or "Reduce to 50% capacity of active lift uphill capacity"?

All the data is somehow considered proprietary.... hilarious. https://www.vaildaily.com/news/summit-county-ski-area-capacities-to-be-reduced-starting-wednesday/

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Some totally-not-indoor stuff from telski here

And they don’t block the view either

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm having really awful pain on the outside of my both my feet. About where the binding strap connects on the boot but a little lower. Does anyone know what could cause this? I'm not sure if I just need to try different boots. I have the binding straps positioned correctly.

I have spent the last 5 seasons with foot pain and I have this advice:

- don't do your boots up ultra tight especially the lower boa. I like to do them up very casually and then readjust after a few laps as my legs swell up a bit when you start working them. As long as your heel isn't lifting more than 1cm they are tight enough. Usually they will be too loose after you do them up and then walk to the chair and do a lap as the extra force allows for flex which in turn lets the no cable snake through the eyelets a bit more.

- you could have lovely feet and need custom foot beds. You may need to go up half a size to make them fit better vs the thin cheap poo poo beds in most boots.

- you may need to duck-out your stance more. If you are getting pain along the outside edge of your foot then it's likely you are putting more pressure on your foot to turn outwards.

- try different socks. Seriously.

- do as much trial and error on the hill as you can because I never have any pain in my feet wearing boots in the store or around the house even done up way too tight. You need the activity to really warm up your muscles and get the blood flow and forces the same as when you're riding if you want to reduce pain while riding.

- take boot breaks. I take mine off at lunch time for a half hour just to cool off and return circulation to normal.

- talk to a good boot fitter and see if they can help you out.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Wildsnow had a pretty cool 3D printed fix but looks like they took it down.

Personally I would just switch to another beacon but I understand that is expensive.

Honestly I have no problem with the beacon and would keep using it. The "fault" seems pretty overblown given how many times (twice?) the mode switch has happened in the wild, and only happens when the beacon is put in the harness upside down. Something like that could conceivably happen to any beacon given a traumatic enough event. The only problem is it's no longer allowed in my touring group so I figured I would do this offered upgrade, but I'm getting nowhere with it. It just seems like a huge waste to toss a perfectly fine beacon and buy a new one because of other people's issues with it.

ok thanks.. they're probably slammed right now. I didn't jump on this early enough I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

stratdax posted:

Honestly I have no problem with the beacon and would keep using it. The "fault" seems pretty overblown given how many times (twice?) the mode switch has happened in the wild, and only happens when the beacon is put in the harness upside down. Something like that could conceivably happen to any beacon given a traumatic enough event. The only problem is it's no longer allowed in my touring group so I figured I would do this offered upgrade, but I'm getting nowhere with it. It just seems like a huge waste to toss a perfectly fine beacon and buy a new one because of other people's issues with it.

ok thanks.. they're probably slammed right now. I didn't jump on this early enough I guess.

Super fair for sure. wild snow did a bunch of testing that was not super confidence inspiring but you are probably right that it is generally fine. I am a beacon in the pocket guy so it would probably be a no go for me.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Usually Thanksgiving morning. Christmas morning, and new years day morning are good time to be at the resort. Every other holiday time/period is slammed.

E: Summit county made the resorts reduce capacity on wednesday. surprised/not surprised breck was crowded.

Super Bowl Sunday was always a classic, but not sure if that holds true anymore

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was more referring to these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phT4fVnCJ0U

as opposed to the adaptive mono-ski that I believe you are thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpK3MpzxieU

Ahh yeah I hadn’t seen the bike before, was confused.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

Ahh yeah I hadn’t seen the bike before, was confused.

The first one I saw was at Mt. Charleston in Vegas being ridden by a dude in his 60s or 70s wearing jeans and no t shirt and covered in green paint, about 3 or 4 seasons ago in March. Now I keep a look out for them, but have never seen as gnarly a rider.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

haha, It is only a 12 min drive.... we are going exploring tomorrow though. Might not be enough snow but we will see, further north but a bit lower elevation...

It was a bust today. Just not enough snow. Looks like it has a lot of potential though if we can stack some storms together. Unfortunately that does not look to be in our future right now.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah the touring around Aspen is currently, uh, not great unless you get seriously up there. Even Indy Pass before it closed was bony if you're being generous.

Thinking of poking around towards Hagarman or the Flat Tops once I get my new liners, but it's still not great

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Super Bowl Sunday was always a classic, but not sure if that holds true anymore
I’ve had many excellent ski days on Super Bowl Sunday.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Touring goons, is it a dick move to do uphill travel on snowshoes? Local mountain doesn't open until Dec 7th, but is allowing uphill on the normal route(s) and downhill through the resort.

I don't own an AT setup and was just going to pack my skis and boots up and take an early run down from mid-mountain tomorrow morning.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Ugh. So seven springs PA is my home resort. I live in Ohio about 90 min away and we stay at my friends ski in/out condo. It’s an easy drive for day trips too.

At the end of the summer I knew this season would obviously not be great and trips to bigger resorts weren’t happening. I was still feeling good about our setup and that we’d still get a decent number of days. We wouldn’t have to step foot in the lodge, no going to the bar, (potentially) no hangovers, just a relaxing winter skiing and hanging out. The closer we get to winter the worse it’s looking.

PA just announced they’re requiring people traveling into the state to either produce a negative COVID 19 test or self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. How is this being enforced? A $25-$300 fine if you fail to comply lol. So it’s basically not going to be enforced but at the same time it’s is a order and not complying would make me an rear end in a top hat to ski.

I’m just assuming I’ll get no days out this year. Im still hoping for a bitter cold winter though so Erie freezes over. My plan B is get back into ice fishing.

Sorry for the rambling posts, just needed to vent because I’m pretty bummed out. If anyone else goes to seven springs feel free to pm me, we can keep in contact about what it looks like once the resort opens up and how they’re handling it.

Stay safe and post lots of pics for those of use who won’t be getting many days this year!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

As long as you don't gently caress up someone else's skin track there's no problem.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SeaborneClink posted:

Touring goons, is it a dick move to do uphill travel on snowshoes? Local mountain doesn't open until Dec 7th, but is allowing uphill on the normal route(s) and downhill through the resort.

I don't own an AT setup and was just going to pack my skis and boots up and take an early run down from mid-mountain tomorrow morning.

I don't think so, why would it? I used to do that with a snowboard strapped to my back.

It sucked, so I bought proper gear

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

dangling pointer posted:

Ugh. So seven springs PA is my home resort. I live in Ohio about 90 min away and we stay at my friends ski in/out condo. It’s an easy drive for day trips too.

At the end of the summer I knew this season would obviously not be great and trips to bigger resorts weren’t happening. I was still feeling good about our setup and that we’d still get a decent number of days. We wouldn’t have to step foot in the lodge, no going to the bar, (potentially) no hangovers, just a relaxing winter skiing and hanging out. The closer we get to winter the worse it’s looking.

PA just announced they’re requiring people traveling into the state to either produce a negative COVID 19 test or self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. How is this being enforced? A $25-$300 fine if you fail to comply lol. So it’s basically not going to be enforced but at the same time it’s is a order and not complying would make me an rear end in a top hat to ski.

I’m just assuming I’ll get no days out this year. Im still hoping for a bitter cold winter though so Erie freezes over. My plan B is get back into ice fishing.

Sorry for the rambling posts, just needed to vent because I’m pretty bummed out. If anyone else goes to seven springs feel free to pm me, we can keep in contact about what it looks like once the resort opens up and how they’re handling it.

Stay safe and post lots of pics for those of use who won’t be getting many days this year!

You would have to get a test every time you went, I take it? That seems like it might be difficult or expensive.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You would have to get a test every time you went, I take it? That seems like it might be difficult or expensive.

Yeah, my GP is in the same building as a place that offers tests and every time I’ve went the parking lot was full of people sitting in there cars waiting for them to call them in for their test. The drive through testing places I’ve driven by had lines snaking all over the parking lot. While getting a test 72 hours before is possible realistically it’s quickly approaching not worth it. I have good insurance but have no idea what’s covered or what they cost without insurance.

We’ll probably go a couple times but there will be no more impromptu group texts the day before for a quick trip. Then like I said there’s also me feeling an rear end in a top hat traveling to another state just to ski. I don’t know, nothing to do but play it by ear.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

dangling pointer posted:

VT has announced a similar thing, and as far as I can tell, it does seem to be a "scout's honor" enforcement so far at my resort. Of course, right now with all the second home owners who have moved into VT in the last month, the number of cases in my resort's county is now way higher than a lot of places around it in VT and upstate NY, making it all the more likely you'll get it by actually going to the resort and thus all the more likely to get hit by the fine / resort ban on contact tracing I guess.

Working patrol at a ski resort this season is going to be a huge mistake, isn't it?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah I’m sure the resort is not going to check/follow up on making sure people from out of state got tested first. The main reason I felt comfortable about going is because even to use the bathroom their backyard butts right up against a gently sloping green run and is near a lift so it’s convenient and no reason any of us would have to go in the lodge. Like I know no matter what rules they had I wouldn’t be going to the bar either way.

This toeing the line of not shutting down but not actually enforcing the rules you do make is just the worst of both worlds.

At this point I’m not expecting to get many, if any days on the snow. On the plus’s side when the ice gets thick enough me and my dad plan on ice fishing so I can still wear all my gear and spend time outside. I also bought nice Baffin winter boots and footies for my dogs to walk them in the snow so the snow doesn’t get packed in between their pads. They’re Australian shepherds and get cabin fever without regular exercise :3:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My kids actually get tested every single week for school so it'd be easy for them to meet a COVID test requirement but much harder for me.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

That’s a good idea actually, I’ll call my Dr and see if a weekly test is something I can schedule. If it is then I’ll see if my insurance would cover it. I wish my moms district tested every week. She’s a 5th grade teacher and her district doesn’t test any kids. Ever. All on the parents.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SeaborneClink posted:

It is just fine. It you see a set skin track then walk next to it. If the resort is grooming though you will not see a skin track. Have fun, share a picture.

dangling pointer posted:

At this point I’m not expecting to get many, if any days on the snow. On the plus’s side when the ice gets thick enough me and my dad plan on ice fishing so I can still wear all my gear and spend time outside. I also bought nice Baffin winter boots and footies for my dogs to walk them in the snow so the snow doesn’t get packed in between their pads. They’re Australian shepherds and get cabin fever without regular exercise :3:

The one thing I don't miss about living in the midwest...pretending to enjoy ice fishing.

I hope you get to ski this year at some point.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

spwrozek posted:

The one thing I don't miss about living in the midwest...pretending to enjoy ice fishing.

I hope you get to ski this year at some point.

Me too. Keep posting pics of your lines to hold me over till next season if I don’t.

I legitimately enjoy ice fishing, it’s relaxing. Pull a pop up shanty out to your spot, drill a couple of holes, and then hangout with my dad while having some beers. The key to having a good time is the pop up shanty and a little heater buddy.

One time after a few too many beers I rubbed against the propane heater in my down jacket and caught on fire lol.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dangling pointer posted:

One time after a few too many beers I rubbed against the propane heater in my down jacket and caught on fire lol.

Now THAT sounds like the ice fishin I know!

Not the best lines today but it was a pretty good exploring afternoon.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 29, 2020

casque
Mar 17, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Give 'er.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

reluctantly just bought the northeast pass. now i just need to come up with anti-vail resort stickers to slap everywhere

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Am I reading correctly with the Epic Pass that is there's a heavy snow on a random weekday, I can't just just show up and ski since I don't have a reservation?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

huhu posted:

Am I reading correctly with the Epic Pass that is there's a heavy snow on a random weekday, I can't just just show up and ski since I don't have a reservation?

Correct

E: But you can make a reservation the day of if available.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I want to pick up something better for deeper powder as an all-mountain ski, not super sold on full backcountry yet this year but having the options would be nice.

Heard good thing about the 4FRNT Hoji's. Anything to convince me otherwise?

I have a pair of K2 Mind Benders for groomer days, but found them a little harder to control in powder than I was expecting.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

I want to pick up something better for deeper powder as an all-mountain ski, not super sold on full backcountry yet this year but having the options would be nice.

I have a pair of K2 Mind Benders for groomer days, but found them a little harder to control in powder than I was expecting.

I'm not an expert skier by any means but I picked up a pair of MSP 107s and they absolutely rip. I've heard from people out here that Hoji's are excellent powder skis.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SeaborneClink posted:

So if you plan on taking them in the backcountry I would vote for the Raven. It is the ski I have. I don't think you need 112 (the old version was 118 underfoot) if you are going to be in the back country (or in the resort really). 104 is a good compromise of up and down.

The raven (and the Hoji) are a bit of an odd ski with the massive turning radius. It took me a decent bit to get used to it vs my resort ski (Salomon Rckr 2 108). I can't really explain it and people rave about it and it is a fun rear end ski, maybe just not a strong enough skier.

So if you want the big boy I say pull the trigger. I also wish I would have went shorter than I did but that is what you get when you can't demo.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Which mind benders do you have? The Hoji sounds like a pretty demanding ski. Maybe get a set of Pon200ns for the deep days?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

casque posted:

Which mind benders do you have? The Hoji sounds like a pretty demanding ski. Maybe get a set of Pon200ns for the deep days?

The 99's. Last year's model I bought them new this year after riding demo Rossi 88ti's all last year strictly on resort (Breck & Keystone).

casque
Mar 17, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

The 99's. Last year's model I bought them new this year after riding demo Rossi 88ti's all last year strictly on resort (Breck & Keystone).

Nice. I would keep those and get some Pon2oons for powder.

Out of curiosity, how did demoing Rossi 88ti's lead to you purchasing the K2s? How many days do you have on the K2s you bought this year? And how deep was the snow you were having trouble with?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

casque posted:

This is even a worse idea for a ski that might be used in the backcountry. touring on 132 waisted skis...drat! I am assuming he is going to throw a Shift on these skis based on thinking some back country.

In Colorado a ski that wide is pointless imo. We just do not get massive snowfalls that would make that ski useful.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

spwrozek posted:

This is even a worse idea for a ski that might be used in the backcountry. touring on 132 waisted skis...drat! I am assuming he is going to throw a Shift on these skis based on thinking some back country.

In Colorado a ski that wide is pointless imo. We just do not get massive snowfalls that would make that ski useful.

Haha, maritime snowpack and BD Gigawatt skier here.

If he can't handle a little of that light Colorado pow on some Mindbender 99s, which are an incredibly forgiving ski that's also capable of high performance, going to something like a Hoji that is more demanding of a skier is probably not a good idea. If the problem is being able to ski in powder, a true powder ski will make that easier.

As for the I want x, y and z and backcountry, if one can't handle some inbounds powder on decent skis, heading out into variable conditions with some Hoji's ain't exactly gonna be living the dream. Also, I think the Pon2oon might technically be in K2's touring lineup. It's relatively light for such a huge ski.

Skiing in the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada, I've been surprised at how little snow it takes to feel bottomless with a big ski. I've had a blast skiing gigawatts with 6" of fresh snow. I've got carbon megawatts for that powder touring, but those are much more demanding.

I basically think most people get tricked into wanting skis that are too aggressive/demanding for their abilities which leads to having less fun skiing than more fun. The biggest experience I've had of a ski really making things easier and more fun is skiing some big-rear end skis in fresh snow.

And while I'm projecting what a terrible skier I am onto internet strangers, dudes should consider sizing down the length of their skis.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

casque posted:

Haha, maritime snowpack and BD Gigawatt skier here.

If he can't handle a little of that light Colorado pow on some Mindbender 99s, which are an incredibly forgiving ski that's also capable of high performance, going to something like a Hoji that is more demanding of a skier is probably not a good idea. If the problem is being able to ski in powder, a true powder ski will make that easier.

As for the I want x, y and z and backcountry, if one can't handle some inbounds powder on decent skis, heading out into variable conditions with some Hoji's ain't exactly gonna be living the dream. Also, I think the Pon2oon might technically be in K2's touring lineup. It's relatively light for such a huge ski.

Skiing in the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada, I've been surprised at how little snow it takes to feel bottomless with a big ski. I've had a blast skiing gigawatts with 6" of fresh snow. I've got carbon megawatts for that powder touring, but those are much more demanding.

I basically think most people get tricked into wanting skis that are too aggressive/demanding for their abilities which leads to having less fun skiing than more fun. The biggest experience I've had of a ski really making things easier and more fun is skiing some big-rear end skis in fresh snow.

And while I'm projecting what a terrible skier I am onto internet strangers, dudes should consider sizing down the length of their skis.

I pretty much agree with you.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On the subject of how fat is fat, I own a pair of 2013 Armada Bubbas (132 underfoot) and I don't bother with them unless its approaching a foot of fresh. They are super fun on those deep days though, and are going to last me a long time because they never get beat up. Less than that and I prefer the Norwalks (117 underfoot). I have a frame AT binding on the Normalks (Tyrolia) and I can't imagine touring on something even bigger. But I'm lazy and out of shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You haven't truly hated life until you've tried skiing a meter of powder on slalom skis.