Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Socks! Found Darn Tough socks on sale so bought 15 pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

jfff posted:

Socks! Found Darn Tough socks on sale so bought 15 pairs.

Ooohhh, you got a link? Been slowly replacing all my socks with darn tough in batches when I find a good sale

For content, I upgraded my fleabay benchtop power supply with a nice Extech unit that’s barely a third the size :toot:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For real, Darn Tough are my favourite boot socks -- if that deal is available online, please do share.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ooohhh, you got a link? Been slowly replacing all my socks with darn tough in batches when I find a good sale

For content, I upgraded my fleabay benchtop power supply with a nice Extech unit that’s barely a third the size :toot:

Socksaddict.com extra 15% off with coupon: COMEBACK
Found on slickdeals https://slickdeals.net/f/14584201-darn-tough-socks-25-off-additional-15-off

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I tend to wear my coats for about a decade. So this is a big purchase for me.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OSU_Matthew posted:

How do you like that Panavise, uh, vise? I'm thinking about getting the low profile vise and the PCB holder.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Got this same jacket for last Christmas (in gray) and it's definitely a good one.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Google home max. I've wanted one of these for a while but could never justify the cost. They're heavily discounted right now so it seemed like a no-brainer. I was tempted to buy two but I settled for one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

dreesemonkey posted:

Google home max. I've wanted one of these for a while but could never justify the cost. They're heavily discounted right now so it seemed like a no-brainer. I was tempted to buy two but I settled for one.

This is an earnest question:

What on earth makes this thing worth $150 (much less the original MSRP of $300)?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s a well made speaker with good sound quality even aside from the smart home capabilities. Like, it’ll fill a large room with more volume than you would want/need even for a party. 200 watts is loud as hell.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

I also bought one in charcoal for my turntable, and was also thinking about another for stereo but I'll wait for this one to come in first. I'm really glad I realized it has a line-in port because I almost bought a Sonos 5 and then found this existed for like $350 less. I've got Google Homes everywhere around the house just for music so this fits in much better.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I bought one a while back for $250 and it's been an awesome speaker, especially since the OK Google stuff works really well. Great sound and unlike a Sonos you can actually bring it to vacation rentals and whatnot because you don't have to completely reconfigure your account at a new location. The Play:5 sounds a little better (slightly) but this is a great deal.

So I bought a second one, stereo pair time, baby. Plus it's kinda cool that if you pay for Google One to get more data storage, they give you 10% back in Google store credit.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's bigger than it looks in the picture - the original MSRP was $400, pretty nuts.

It should be coming tomorrow and if I like it enough I might buy another one for upstairs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shanghaied posted:

How do you like that Panavise, uh, vise? I'm thinking about getting the low profile vise and the PCB holder.

It’s ok... I’ve got a panavise 350, hobby creek helping hands, and a small magnifying glads and rechargeable flashlight on there. I get far more use out of the hakko omnivise and pcb board holder though. The multivise is occasionally useful for odd boards and nonstandard stuff, and the helping hands kinda sorta work to hold components up to the board if you need to flip it and solder the legs, but not as well as I would have hoped. The lubricant helps, but they just don’t have the fine range and holding I want. The magnifying glass isn’t as useful as the swing arm microscope, but it is occasionally useful.

It’s good, it works, but it’s not the perfect end all board holder I wanted. The pcb holder vise attachment might be better, but the cheapie one works awesomely for pcbs because you can flip it, though in all fairness you could do that with two of the helping hands as well. I think it’s just one of those things that it’s basically as good as it gets, and the cheap one will get you 75% of the way there.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OSU_Matthew posted:

It’s ok... I’ve got a panavise 350, hobby creek helping hands, and a small magnifying glads and rechargeable flashlight on there. I get far more use out of the hakko omnivise and pcb board holder though. The multivise is occasionally useful for odd boards and nonstandard stuff, and the helping hands kinda sorta work to hold components up to the board if you need to flip it and solder the legs, but not as well as I would have hoped. The lubricant helps, but they just don’t have the fine range and holding I want. The magnifying glass isn’t as useful as the swing arm microscope, but it is occasionally useful.

It’s good, it works, but it’s not the perfect end all board holder I wanted. The pcb holder vise attachment might be better, but the cheapie one works awesomely for pcbs because you can flip it, though in all fairness you could do that with two of the helping hands as well. I think it’s just one of those things that it’s basically as good as it gets, and the cheap one will get you 75% of the way there.

Hi thanks for the really detailed reply. I already have a large vise in my "workshop" in the uninsulated attic (subzero in winter, sauna-hot in summer lol). Now I'm just looking for something small that I can have on my desk/in the kitchen for small projects, so that I don't have to drag myself up to the attic each time. The PCB holder attachment is just kind of a bonus, I solder stuff (to a board anyway) only a few times a year. Gave me something to think about now.

Anyway, Amazon just came to my country, so I impulse-bought a Starrett centre punch

Heard some good things about Starrett from Americans, so let's see if it lives up to the hype.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shanghaied posted:

Hi thanks for the really detailed reply. I already have a large vise in my "workshop" in the uninsulated attic (subzero in winter, sauna-hot in summer lol). Now I'm just looking for something small that I can have on my desk/in the kitchen for small projects, so that I don't have to drag myself up to the attic each time. The PCB holder attachment is just kind of a bonus, I solder stuff (to a board anyway) only a few times a year. Gave me something to think about now.

Anyway, Amazon just came to my country, so I impulse-bought a Starrett centre punch

Heard some good things about Starrett from Americans, so let's see if it lives up to the hype.

I bought this exact tool 3 days ago and let me tell you, it rules. At full strength it can dimple my hardened steel file. Works great on wood and plastic too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Starrett makes some drat fine machining tools, good buy. But you're down the rabbit hole now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shanghaied posted:

Oohhh, good buy... Starrett tools are like crack. I was just using this exact thing a few days ago to mark holes to drill while installing a fence gate, it’s stupid useful.

And yeah! If you’re using the panavise as a general hobby vise, it’s perfect for that exact thing. It’s just a bit unwieldy for soldering boards is all

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I tend to wear my coats for about a decade. So this is a big purchase for me.

That’s a sharp jacket! Looks quite comfy, warm, and durable

colas
Feb 14, 2007

My mom asked me to re-order something for her and this was in my parents' order history. Apparently my dad has declared war on crabgrass. I didn't know they sold flamethrowers for lawns. Behold, The Flame King. I think during it's downtime it might make a great burner for a wok if we can make a stand for it. It's 500k btu lol.

colas has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Nov 25, 2020

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Bertha Torches own.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Aramek posted:

Bertha Torches own.

You torch stuff too?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I bet that would sear a great steak after it's been sitting in a sous vide bath.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I bet that would sear a great steak after it's been sitting in a sous vide bath.

They make these specifically for that. Searzall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sterster posted:

They make these specifically for that. Searzall.

:lol:

No amount of searing will make those pork chops look good. That's seriously the best meat they could find to advertise their product?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

colas posted:

My mom asked me to re-order something for her and this was in my parents' order history. Apparently my dad has declared war on crabgrass. I didn't know they sold flamethrowers for lawns. Behold, The Flame King. I think during it's downtime it might make a great burner for a wok if we can make a stand for it. It's 500k btu lol.

If I remember correctly the Elon Musk not-a-flamethrower that was sold a while ago was literally one of these in an airsoft case.

$500.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bought a new LG washer after the old one spun its last

I really wanted to wait until next year to see if the price drops when the china tariffs drop, but unfortunately the laundry was piling up despite neither of us leaving the house anymore :(

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
+1 for the glerups gang.

My tootsies are are warm and dry. Would recommend.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

colas posted:

You torch stuff too?

I grew up on a farm so we would control burn our Fields every year.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good week of wins on sneakers. And a sim rig since I put my actual fun car away for winter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
On this blackest of Fridays, I have splurged and gotten not only resin for printing, but a new fire tablet, a copy of that jedi game from gamefly, some black 2.0 paint, and... a new cheese cutter since I can't find mine.

This might be the cheapest black friday in a while. Firmly not looking at the sideshow sale, no matter how much I want stuff.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

New Lowa Zephyrs.

Small space heater for my studio because it gets cold & I can't control the temperature.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Bought a ukulele and that matches all my other instruments.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Not a Children posted:

This is an earnest question:

What on earth makes this thing worth $150 (much less the original MSRP of $300)?

It’s legitimately a great speaker for ~400 sq ft and is pretty decently sized for the wattage. I mostly use headphones with my PC, but got one for when I’m Zwifting and watch streaming TV/movies. It fits on a fairly small desk with a 27” monitor and lamp.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Got new earbuds

Jabra Elite Active 75t. Got them on Ebay for cheap-ish

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Got new earbuds

Jabra Elite Active 75t. Got them on Ebay for cheap-ish

Good choice! I have the Lazy version of them and couldn't be happier.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Fairly sure the Whirlpool set I have is as old as me, so I decided to upgrade before I have to upgrade.

Minus the base stand things. My laundry closet is in the kitchen so it will be nice to be able to stack these and use the other half of the closet for storage/pantry space since I don't have much storage in there.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone know what's up with new appliances regarding planned obsolescence? My parents just replaced a 5-ish year old refrigerator. A nice, brushed steel, pretty fridge. The first compressor went, the warranty covered it. 5 years later it dies again. Replacement is $1200. Might as well get a new one. The repairman - "they design these to die after 5 years". Do any new appliances last? Old fridge = whirlpool, new one = Samsung. Does it even matter that they switched?

colas has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Dec 1, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the designed to die argument is bullshit. They’re just cheaply made with poor quality steel, with corners cut to save money wherever possible (poor fittings, seals, etc). The company wants profits now. That you have to buy a other one in five years is more of a happy accident.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think the designed to die argument is bullshit. They’re just cheaply made with poor quality steel, with corners cut to save money wherever possible (poor fittings, seals, etc). The company wants profits now. That you have to buy a other one in five years is more of a happy accident.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It's such a waste because all that material still functions, it just needs the compressor. And other companies are proof that you can be successful while making a lasting product. Like Toyota. They should make appliances. A refrigerator would be passed down for generations.

colas has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Dec 1, 2020