Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hiveswap 2 is out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is it? It isn't showing up on Steam for me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it? It isn't showing up on Steam for me.

did you back the kickstarter? And do you have the original email you used to do so? Because I just got a code from there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ah! No, I wasn't into Homestuck when the Kickstarter happened, and my kid who backed it has long lost access to that email account.

e: My kid found her account (yay) and sent me the code. Now that I've installed the code it says "Coming Soon". So the codes are out, but they haven't pulled the switch yet.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 25, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ah! No, I wasn't into Homestuck when the Kickstarter happened, and my kid who backed it has long lost access to that email account.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, I can't play it yet either. The code just put it in my Steam library, I'm not allowed to download it yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Crosspost! We will both have to look balefully at that "Coming Soon".

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hiveswap Act 2 just disappeared from steam what

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nina posted:

Hiveswap Act 2 just disappeared from steam what

Autumn Sale has just started and steam servers are currently extremely making GBS threads themselves under the strain, might have something to do with that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've successfully installed and am about to play. Whee!

e: I wish the recap had done a hasty overview of the controls.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 25, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's downloaded on my computer, but unfortunately for Hiveswap a new update for Crusader Kings 3 also came up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Opting for DRM free again

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'd be curious to compare notes. I'm only up to the abandoned honey hive. It seems to me that there are multiple clickable objects in any scene, but most of them do nothing? Like, is there anything at all to do in the house full of rubbish and hand-sewn statues? I play point-and-click adventures a lot, but I'm used to having several puzzles to work on at once, not to one puzzle to get you forward.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What Pumpkin has set up an official Twitter account and official Curiouscat for fans to ask questions.
https://twitter.com/homestuckteam/status/1329983002240139266

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 26, 2020

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just started playing Hiveswap act 2, but, uh... Is Zebede dead?

- Xefros, who was pretty worried about taking stuff from the first trolls' hive, keeps making comments about how it's fine to take stuff from Z's hive.
- He looks in the well and then tells Joey not to look in, and gives a bad excuse (you'll go blind)
- If you make him look again, he doesn't go blind, but he says he doesn't want to 'deal' with what he sees.
- Xefros also makes comments to the effect that he's sure Z's lusus hasn't been fed in a while.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh come on, you have a murder on a train and it doesn't have a Murder on the Orient Express style twist ending?! If you've seen or read Murder on the Orient Express you'll know what I'm pissed about, if not I'm going to avoid spoiling one of the greatest mystery stories of all time and just tell you to go watch the movie because it's fantastic.

Also, lot more death in this than I expected.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished Hiveswap 2 and I think it's pretty good except for the courtroom part which was unintuitive as hell and took forever to get through. Was not expecting a fairly nuanced Marxist analysis of class politics from my talking simulator about quirky troll people. I want to be friends with (almost) all of these weird aliens.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Enjoyed it pretty thoroughly. The overall concept and writing are surprisingly strong. It's the presentation that's sometimes real rough around the edges compared to Act 1 but I can live with that.

I wonder what they're going to do with Charun and Zebede since they were seemingly cut from this Act. If they restructure them to be in a latter act they can't exactly reuse the dialogue they would've had or the Charun cutscenes from the first Act 2 trailer

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've only just begun Act 2, but I would have appreciated a way to get descriptions of my inventory items. The Act 1 save I imported (which is meaningless except for the Achievement, right?) was over three years old, I didn't know what most of my starting items were. I was lucky to figure out what the book did before leaving any lusii I couldn't get back to.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah it’s very much worth playing through Act 1 again to refresh yourself on stuff (it’s not like it’s that long anyways). I’d totally forgotten that Xafros was a psychic jock for example or that his weapon was a sports ball stick and not a weird scythe of some kind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A good poster posted:

I've only just begun Act 2, but I would have appreciated a way to get descriptions of my inventory items. The Act 1 save I imported (which is meaningless except for the Achievement, right?) was over three years old, I didn't know what most of my starting items were. I was lucky to figure out what the book did before leaving any lusii I couldn't get back to.

There's one puzzle outcome you can only get with an imported save and missable Act 1 items

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nina posted:

There's one puzzle outcome you can only get with an imported save and missable Act 1 items

I have something like four different saves. I never got a prompt to import them; does Act 2 import saves automatically, and if so does it pick which it chooses?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have something like four different saves. I never got a prompt to import them; does Act 2 import saves automatically, and if so does it pick which it chooses?

First time I played I was given the option to import a save from act 1, which then essentially gave me the load game screen from it.

Incidentally I had uninstalled act 1 a while back; I guess it didn't delete the saves, or else it might be able to access the Steam cloud for them, not sure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

First time I played I was given the option to import a save from act 1, which then essentially gave me the load game screen from it.

Incidentally I had uninstalled act 1 a while back; I guess it didn't delete the saves, or else it might be able to access the Steam cloud for them, not sure.

Well, doggone it. I wonder what I have to do to reset.
Ignore. I transferred a zip file of my old save, but then forgot to unzip it. :smithicide:

I found an interesting feature because I played for awhile without my save files. If you get to the point where you need the bent spoon, the game railroads you through it by having you announce that you always carry a bent spoon in your pocket.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 28, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Can you highlight interactable objects in this game? I don't want to have to pixel-hunt...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You have to pixel-hunt, and yes, that annoys me, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What Pumpkin dropped an update today. They patched out the bee dance because people (rightly IMHO) complained that a point-and-click adventure shouldn't be gating on whether you're able to complete a rhythm game: accessibility plunges through the floor. They could have patched in a skip switch, but noooooo. The patch also includes credits, I assume in response to community anger.

drat, I wish the game had some normal point-and-click/visual novel amenities like fast-forwarding or skipping dialogue, and target highlighting. Has anybody found anything useful you can do in the first cave, the one with the statue? I tried all my and Xefros's inventory and tools with no luck.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/homestuck/status/1333169313860243459?s=19

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Regular Calliope sucks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Boldir talks about the forthcoming Convergence which reinforces my belief that Hiveswap, the dreaming dead from Pesterquest, and HS2 are going to recombine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wow! The most boring update yet! Incredible!

Jade is happy though, so that's good. Wish she had gotten the chance to speak, guess I'll have to wait till next year for that to happen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Didn't love this one. Dave felt on voice some of the time, at other times more like someone's manic Discord conversation pared down into a pesterlog. Which I guess is true to form? But him saying Voldemort a bunch of times like it's a punchline fell totally flat for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can somebody explain to me what MSPA Reader immediately notices? That flew right over my head.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probably that karkat is freaking out about people in vents leaving them poo poo around cause its similar to what gamzee did? I thought that was it. Also yeah, man, this last one is a stinker lol

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I had completely forgotten that regular Calliope was on the ship too so I just assumed that was alt-Calliope being weird

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sailor Dave posted:

I had completely forgotten that regular Calliope was on the ship too so I just assumed that was alt-Calliope being weird

Whoops, completely same.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Are we to believe this that this is some sort magic laundry room or something?

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The art feels worst this update. I dunno.

Also, the stupid Futurama page is going to age like raw meat; you can just tell us you only got one update this month.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If it turns out Caliborn is the one who wrote this chapter and the reason the art looks different is because he's taking over this reality then everything about Homestuck^2 will have been justified forever, but the writers had better get to the reveal of that plot point quick.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The patch also includes credits, I assume in response to community anger.

As in there are credits at all or as in people were added who were not in the credits before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

readingatwork posted:

As in there are credits at all or as in people were added who were not in the credits before?

I haven't completed the game, so I haven't seen them. There were no credits at all before, explained as being to protect the dev team from harassment. There are now credits, and I don't know if they include, say, the people who worked on the game and then were let go.