Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
For anyone with the Dune board game, GF9 has recently released an updated FAQ:
https://www.gf9games.com/dune/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Dune-FAQ-Nov-2020.pdf

Nothing earth shattering but it's nice to have some clarity on some of the more vague rules ("As Emperor, you may share your great wealth") and edge cases (two factions in a stronghold during a storm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - which Pandemic games do you guys consider to be the best ones? I know Pandemic Rome seems to be highly regarded here, but what about the others? For example, is Iberia about as good? Since the thing is, I'd get Rome without hesitation since I like the theme, but a friend already has it. Another friend also has the original Pandemic. So if there's a different variant that's about as good, I might as well get that instead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - which Pandemic games do you guys consider to be the best ones?

Legacy S1, assuming you have the same group for 12+ sessions.

Iberia is really good though. It's got ways to prevent / prepare for infections (putting supplies in regions, building up a railroad network) and one of the optional modules changes the game in an interesting way by having patients move towards hospitals.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Iberia is the best standalone thanks to a solid refinement on the system and the 4 modular special diseases. Base + On the Brink + In the Lab is probably the best overall if you don't mind dropping the money on all three and gives you the optional 1 v all mode with the bioterrorist which is wholly unique.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, Legacy isn't much of an option for me at the moment, and I'm not super keen on spending big, so it seems like Iberia might actually be the way to go. (Guessed the right standalone first go!)
Thanks for the input you guys - I guess that's the way to go

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

The End posted:

It's fine but a pretty unremarkable game

CODChimera posted:

I have no idea what is up with their shipping. I backed the expansion kickstarter and the shipping was cheap(i'm also in NZ and it's almost never cheap) but their kickstarter page is full of people complaining about the shipping prices...

As for the actual game, dunno haven't played it yet. I brought it off their main site and some of the heroes came with different bases, asked customer service about it and they were like 'we only give replacements to the kickstarter version' which is kind of weird because you think they would have fixed the problem for the retail version. Between that, the issues with the pledge manager and the various other things i've seen people mention I'm probably not going to buy the other $500+ of content i'm missing.

Also the quality of the minis is all over the place, some of the heroes are pretty bad. They might look better painted idk, i'm painting up the larvae demons at the moment and they already look a ton better with just a wash

Cool thanks for the comments. I actually hadn't thought to check but you're right, shipping is weirdly low to NZ ($65USD for everything in the 1st kickstarter which is what I was looking at which is apparently 13kg of weight - so they must have a warehouse in Aus or somewhere else closer I guess).

The minis thing doesn't surprise me - the Cthulhu Wars ones are fairly mediocre. Nice sculpts, but by going for extra huge they seem to have sacrificed on plastic/molding quality and so they're pretty inconsistent. I wish (with both games) that they'd gone for more regular sized minis and sharper sculpts like CMON/Awaken Realms create.

I tried the game out on TTS last night and had a lot of fun with it. I can see it's not really doing anything particularly new, but like Cthulhu Wars it seems to have distilled a lot of the essence of the genre and kept the most fun bits. I can already see that you would quickly get bored of just the content in the core box though, significantly more so than with CW.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the goonsensus on Pandemic: Season 0 now that it's been out for a while? I'm playing on playing with my partner, who can handle Concordia easily but struggles with Spirit Island.

We're about halfway through the campaign and I'm really enjoying it. Hard to say since it's been a long time since I played the previous season but I think this might be my favourite one of the lot. The 'fun' factor is higher than ever with some very cool toys to play with to get you into the theme and setting and the mechanics are as solid as ever. The one thing that so far feels weaker, particularly compared to S2 is that there seems to be less of having to choose between dealing with the current month and immediate threats vs putting down infrastructure and preparing for later months/the rest of the game. For the most part, each mission seems more standalone, although we have unlocked a few mechanics that allow you to work towards preparing for later missions.

At any rate, to me it absolutely compares favourably to the previous seasons so for anyone who enjoyed those I think it would be quite surprising if they found much to object to here. Difficulty-wise it's probably about on-par with Concordia when it comes to the turn-by-turn decisions, and maybe a little more complex when it comes to some of the between-mission decisions (which upgrades to buy etc since you really need to combo these well to deal with the harder objectives).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - which Pandemic games do you guys consider to be the best ones? I know Pandemic Rome seems to be highly regarded here, but what about the others? For example, is Iberia about as good? Since the thing is, I'd get Rome without hesitation since I like the theme, but a friend already has it. Another friend also has the original Pandemic. So if there's a different variant that's about as good, I might as well get that instead.

Pandemic: Rising Tide is Splotter's take on Pandemic. it's very good.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Designer aside, is the gameplay actually Splotter-like?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Oops, I wasn't even aware of that one! I've already placed the order though, so oh well. Either way, I'm sure we'll have fun with any Pandemic game, really

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Designer aside, is the gameplay actually Splotter-like?

it's certainly Pandemic, but it's more of a logistics puzzle because you're also building water pumps that remove the water, and propping up the infrastructure that contains and directs the water cubes' flow.

I've only played base Pandemic and PLS1-2, but non-legacy gameplay-wise I think Rising Tide is my favorite.

I still want to play Iberia and Rome.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Price too good to pass up on Auf Der Walz so I impulse bought a copy on a black friday sale. Doesn't have a good rating on BGG but I'm willing to take a shot and see if it clicks with me. I also very nearly impulse purchased Stellar Horizons, but I've lost my appetite for such a hugely crunchy game lately.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Wow, Quinns' review of Eclipse 2.0 was as glowing as it comes. I've got the first edition, is Second Dawn that much better or is this a case of adding a coat of paint? I remember the thread opinion on it was that it was a Euro pretending to be a war game, does that still hold up?

Can't believe how pricey the new edition is.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 27, 2020

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Has anyone played Under Falling Skies? Thoughts?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Wow, Quinns' review of Eclipse 2.0 was as glowing as it comes. I've got the first edition, is Second Dawn that much better or is this a case of adding a coat of paint? I remember the thread opinion on it was that it was a Euro pretending to be a war game, does that still hold up?

Can't believe how pricey the new edition is.

It's like 98% the same game mechanically. People have made stickers for the changes.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's like 98% the same game mechanically. People have made stickers for the changes.

The fact they haven't made an official update pack is pure greed. Could so easily be done. Sure, there's no easy way to ensure compatibility with new expansions due to art changes, but the tweaks are easily back ported.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, last I remember, there are a few QoL changes but you don't have to buy a completely new edition to incorporate them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did you pick up any hot deals today

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

quote:

Eclipse info

Thanks guys. I don't feel nearly as much FOMO over the second edition now.

I'll look into the fan made 1.5 stuff and see if I can find some of the first edition expansions to round things out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

lol amazon black friday is a joke. Its like they want consumerism to die in 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My wishlist is empty and I didn't even bother looking at bgame deals. I'm content with my collection right now, and I've sold off or traded a few games recently. It's a good feeling.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rutibex posted:

lol amazon black friday is a joke. Its like they want consumerism to die in 2020
Black Friday is a joke in general these days.

Back in the 80's and 90's, retailers would offer insane deals to get people to pack into the stores. I remember going to Best Buy as a teenager and getting like 60% off a really nice SVGA monitor, picking up a Microsoft mouse/keyboard combo for a dollar, etc.

Over time, retailers figured out that the deals didn't actually have to be very good. All they had to do was hype the "giant Black Friday event", and offer 10-15% off a few things -- usually stuff that would be on the clearance shelf anyway. A lot of time those deals aren't any better than what you can get during any regular sale. It works though; people still pack the stores on Black Friday (even during a pandemic... sigh).

Anyway, to stay somewhat on-topic: Has anyone played Forgotten Waters enough to have an opinion?

I'm hesitant to check it out after being disappointed by most of Plaid Hat's games, but I saw that they offer a remote play app that lets you play online with a single copy of the game, and it seems to handle up to seven players. I thought it might be nice for the next few months of quarantine.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey Goons, which is the better game: chronicles of crime or detective?

Basically need to buy something from the genre and Sherlock Holmes is out because reasons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wasn't today but

PerniciousKnid posted:

I ordered BattleCON WoI for myself from miniature market for $9. I had considered it previously and figured I shouldn't spend $50 for a game I'll never play. But $9 for a game I'll never play is a bargain!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Basically need to buy something from the genre and Sherlock Holmes is out because reasons.

I have played 3-4 games of CoC and 1 game of Detective.

I prefer CoC because the cases were complex but not obtuse and didn't require unreasonable leaps.

Detective we did the pre-release tutorial case and I'm pretty sure we got it wrong and took too long to do it.

CoC also has fun "VR" crime scenes to look around.

Also, I like the expansion themes in CoC (Archie, film noir, time travel) better than Detective (LA).

EDIT: Mechanically I preferred scanning QR codes into an app on my phone in CoC more than typing things into a website in Detective.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I did manage to get The Mind: Extreme on Amazon for like $8

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I have some board games that I’ve literally never played and none of my friends are eager to play them. They have been opened and components have been opened but otherwise pristine condition.

The two games I’m looking to unload would be

Chaos in the Old World
Food Chain Magnate

I’m in Canada, so shipping would be a factor. I’m interested in one of two things: cash, for Chaos, I’d be okay with 80$ Canadian plus cost of shipping, and 70$ + cost of shipping for FCM.

Otherwise, I’m big into Marvel Champions and would like another core set but don’t wanna pay for it. I’m okay with a trade for that. Otherwise there’s not much other board games I’m interested in at the moment.

Feel free to PM me to see what we could work out.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I haven't played chronicles of crime but detective is bad.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

WhiteHowler posted:

Anyway, to stay somewhat on-topic: Has anyone played Forgotten Waters enough to have an opinion?

I'm hesitant to check it out after being disappointed by most of Plaid Hat's games, but I saw that they offer a remote play app that lets you play online with a single copy of the game, and it seems to handle up to seven players. I thought it might be nice for the next few months of quarantine.

I just finished playing all five scenarios with four-five players purely through the web app and we’ve had an amazing time.

I have the box so my job is to build out the map, read consequences from the book and play the audio tracks. Everyone else is responsible for tracking a couple group stats on the web app, which is also used for action selection. We all have our own die and character sheet.

The web app works really well: no bugs that refreshing the page once couldn’t fix. You can even reuse the same link to come back to a game later. I have the app on a laptop, video on a tablet, and audio on my phone just so I can see everything at once, but there’s no reason you couldn’t do all on one screen.

The stories are hilarious and the audio adds a lot. It’s not just a narrator: all the captains are voiced, several other characters too, plus sound effects. There’s a nice mix of supernatural horror adventure and slightly dark comedy—the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, essentially.

Gameplay is basic, but certain encounters throw interesting wrinkles at you. There’s a fun balance between being a little selfish to improve your own character at the expense of the group, but my group just ignored all of the direct conflict options. The final encounters are super intense and challenging without being impossible, building to a really satisfying climax.

Each scenario has 25-30 random encounters of which you may only hit ten, so there’s lots of replayability. There’s also some swing. We had one scenario we replayed three times before we hit the midpoint. Another, we finished the first half in only half an hour because we got ‘lucky’ and drew the random locations that happened to have our objectives. Unfortunately that meant our characters couldn’t gain enough XP to get their individual good endings before the climax. But, that also just means there’s a lot of that particular scenario haven’t encountered yet, so we are revisiting it tonight.

If you like narrative board games, I can’t recommend it enough. If you like narrative board games and want to play one while social distancing, this is the one you need.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Detective is shite. Chronicles of crime is the clear winner between the two.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Coming in late to say that Pandemic: Rising Tide is mechanically interesting and different enough from base Pandemic that I'd play it again.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm building out my collection of 2 player games, or games that play best at 2 players even if they techincally allow for more (like Santorini, etc) and I'm curious what people's favorites are.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks guys. I don't feel nearly as much FOMO over the second edition now.

I'll look into the fan made 1.5 stuff and see if I can find some of the first edition expansions to round things out.

As someone with a full set of Eclipse v1 expansions etc, I'm also glad to hear that 2nd edition hasn't made my stuff hopelessly out of date and would appreciate any links to good fan-made 1.5 updates to help bring my Eclipse in line with the current version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

armorer posted:

I'm building out my collection of 2 player games, or games that play best at 2 players even if they techincally allow for more (like Santorini, etc) and I'm curious what people's favorites are.

Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Watergate
Targi
Battlecon
Air Land & Sea
Carcassonne
Battle Line
Lost Cities Rivals
The Fox in the Forest
Tak
Arboretum
Onitama with Wind Spirit expansion
Blue Moon Legends
Race for the Galaxy
Tash Kalar
Sakura Arms
Antike Duellum

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

armorer posted:

Napoleon's Triumph but it's expensive

Meltwater, the sale's on right now!!!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Now, it is very confusing, but Detective:City of Angels by Van Ryder is very good, IMO. There is a game just called Detective that sucks.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Marvel Champions
Spirit Island
Targi
Battlecon
Exceed
Res Arcana
Hanamikoji
Sellswords
Santorini
Blue Moon Legends
Jaipur
Gloomhaven (maybe?)

These are the things that are in my collection that I think are best at 2. Additional things that I would enjoy at 2 but not best at 2 would be:
Concordia
Villages of Valeria
Tiny Towns
Shipwreck Arcana
Lost Cities Rivals
Loony Quest

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Now, it is very confusing, but Detective:City of Angels by Van Ryder is very good, IMO. There is a game just called Detective that sucks.

And Detective Deception Murder in Hong Kong is very good too.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 29, 2020

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

armorer posted:

Without repeating previous mentioned games:

Blokus (pretty good at all player counts 2-4, but I like it best at 2)
Through The Ages (good at 2-4, you'll find people that vouch for it at any player count)
Dominion (best at 2 imo)
Dungeon Twister
Union vs Central
Combat Commander
Earth Reborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

And Detective Murder in Hong Kong is very good too.

that's deception: murder in hong kong