Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

TeeQueue posted:

Much like how white damage doesn’t damage an SP bar and just does normal damage, and Black just does itself normally instead of spreading to both HP/SP, pale also just deals a flat number. She sadly cannot twoshot other abnormalities with 1.0x pale resists, she just deals 50.

There's a canon reason for this! Since Abnormalities are partly mental constructs, their HP and SP are the same thing, and because they cannot truly die, Pale damage is incapable of reaping their soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

That means that if anyone finds out, you'll be brutally murdered!

Oh, silly Paul, it is actually spelled retired, not brutally murdered. But it is a common mistake to make, according to the latest employee tests, so you get a pass on that one.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

There's a canon reason for this! Since Abnormalities are partly mental constructs, their HP and SP are the same thing, and because they cannot truly die, Pale damage is incapable of reaping their soul.

That brings up a good point in that I’m still not 100% sure what an Abnormality is, or at least what Angela told us it was while lying about it like literally everything else in this place. I still don’t see there being any big unifying factor with how varied their origins are, but stuff like no longer being able to die and not being entirely physical are...probably a pretty big deal. Between that, the Blue Star sitting in our facility, and the Purple Midnight being a glorified recording of some cosmic outer god, we’re probably going to slam into cosmic horror territory pretty soon in the plot.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

the Orb of Zot posted:

That brings up a good point in that I’m still not 100% sure what an Abnormality is, or at least what Angela told us it was while lying about it like literally everything else in this place. I still don’t see there being any big unifying factor with how varied their origins are, but stuff like no longer being able to die and not being entirely physical are...probably a pretty big deal. Between that, the Blue Star sitting in our facility, and the Purple Midnight being a glorified recording of some cosmic outer god, we’re probably going to slam into cosmic horror territory pretty soon in the plot.

It seems to me that,, just like SCPs, Abnormalities have many different possible origins. Some of them are people injected with cogito, some are outer gods, some are items that are clearly magical in nature, but I think there might never be an actual answer. I would put money down on there being no unifying factor at all. Some just are, some are created, they just all happen to be strange, creepy , dangerous things.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

That's exactly how I wanted to go. Skewered by an angsty magical girl. :allears:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Eh don’t worry about it. Noone else does

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

You could say that their unifying theme is that they have no unifying theme

Rofaner
May 30, 2011
Paul is such a good employee, showing us all the things not to do to be aware of to keep this facility safe for everyone!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Damanation posted:

You could say that their unifying theme is that they have no unifying theme

Almost like there's no normal for them, as if they're all, abnormal perhaps?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, at least my tater survived the massacre due to the magical girl teleporting out. :sweatdrop:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 37: Story

Music: Wake up

But I think you and A might have become separate entities now. From the moment you began to have new memories, you both started to walk different paths. I must wonder how the memories separated you from A. Well, even if you two have differences, it is still important for you to witness this place through A’s eyes.

What’s at the end of the line? What kind of world was it that he saw? The answers to these questions are what you must know. However, the choices you make are up to you, not him. As a consequence of those choices, you may lose it all. Or, you may gain everything. I’m not trying to control you. I just try to support you, that is my role here.

Now you are here, scrabbling over it all and climbing up. Of course, I have kept all their data in my head, but it is not my place to share it with you.

…That’s what you, or A, once said to me.

In summary: Angela notes that our new memories may have made us someone very different from A, but apparently it's important for us to know what A saw so that we know what to do.

Setting that aside, it's time to meet the lady who can apparently stop Gebura.

Music: Into The Deep

So, did you have fun with your little journey while I was locked up here? Don’t worry, I’m not mad with you.

This is a quote from a French poem called "Prière pour aimer la douleur" (Prayer to Love Sorrow/Prayer for Loving Sorrow, depending on translation) by Francis Jammes. Binah is not just a murderous Arbiter, she's also cultured.

It’s difficult to perceive the flow of time here. Therefore this eternity has saved me.

If you arrive downstream, after the raging rapids and a serpentine current… You will see a meadow that is enormously broad, but also tranquil. That land is bathed with all kinds of mud, sand, trash, and the residuals that have come from the upstream. What isn’t caught by the upstream or midstream finally ends up here, downstream… To bear all the residues that pile up, one would need a strong back that doesn’t break easily.

>What is a Well?

And it is the fount and relic of all humanity that has existed from the ancient times. The water from the Well had never flown outside, ever. There had only been the small ripples that permeated from the leaves that fall for the winds.

---

>What does it mean to draw water?

You never know what the Bucket contains when it rises from the eternal darkness, but I always draw the water with a pulley, come what may. You must always stay cautious so that you don’t fall into the Well.

---

Routes Merge Here

It was you who made the Bucket. But you left the duty of drawing water with the Bucket to another.

“Binah” isn’t the name of a person. It’s a sad name of the place where one finds many graves. I’m the one who draws the water.

In summary: We meet Binah, who quotes a poem about loving despair at us. She's clearly having a bad time but stopped caring about any of it a long time ago. She speaks mostly in metaphors and riddles, but refers to a Well that she draws from by a Bucket, which we apparently made. Since the Well is the relic of all humanity and the Bucket draws water from it, the water in this metaphor is… :iiam:

Anyways, Binah's definitely going to try and kill us because she's an AI and this is a video game.

This mission isn't hard, but we can't do it during Core Suppressions because the equipment has to be made during the day, so it can't be tracked while suppressing. This is a shame, because we WANT the research that comes from this. Oh yes.

Just extract E.G.O?

I did say it would be simple. As long as it's been, it would be a shame to see you run away so quickly.

Mm. Well, I can't say it's been a pleasure, but I'll see you again soon, I'm sure.

Whatever path your journey takes, I shall watch over it always.

...yeah that's not distressing at all. Angela!

Yes, manager?

The other department, I want it opened.

For anyone playing along: if attempting to 1-loop the game, it is of VITAL IMPORTANCE that the lower layer be opened in either a 3-2 or 2-3 overall combination. If we don't do this, we can permanently lock ourselves out of being able to complete the game without a full restart from day 1.

Ah… it's been some time.

Yeah, so I've heard. I don't think we've met?

Tradition states that we keep things that way a little longer, I'm afraid. The hands of time are already in motion, and I can do nothing to stop them.

Yeah… come to think of it, only Malkuth ever met me the day I opened her department.

Consider the upcoming workday an introduction, then. I have great expectations of you. Show me your management.

Sure. It's what I do best, after all.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Breaking our stuff to appease the creepy goth lady living in our basement.

Did you get word back?

Yeah. Apparently, the manager's meeting with both the new Sephirot before he'll handle any of the Suppressions.

Damned… I thought he had the good sense natural to a nest dweller, but it seems even he can make mistakes.

Yeah, clearly coming from a nest ain't all it's cracked up to be.

What are you-

Stow it, mosshead. I want my Sephirah back, and I don't have time to listen to you complain.

Sorry we're late! So, what'd they say?

Not today. Tomorrow, and the next two.

So it's three of them in a row again… We'll have to make sure the newbies are prepared.

Yeah-not that it matters much either way.

Disciplinary's ready for anything-or I pound them. We'll be fine.

And Welfare doesn't have any newbies!

And I told Morgan already… I was expecting it today.

We're as prepared as we can be, then. Go team Middle.

Heck yeah! Go us!

Yeah. We'll fix our bosses, no matter what it takes.

And hopefully it'll take punching them in the face!

Oh c'mon. You've all wanted to.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 5, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So that's where I screwed up. I did 4-1 because I wanted it to be symmetrical :/.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I feel like Binah is being more literal than we think. Each day's new anomalies drawn from the depths of the facility by her turning an actual crank. They just lower empty crates and see what's inside when they come back.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TeeQueue posted:

. Since the Well is the relic of all humanity and the Bucket draws water from it, the water in this metaphor is… :iiam:

pee

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

That’s only true for the backer anomalies

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

From Angela monologue it seems that there is a fourth setting on TT device (aside from "repeat day". "to memory repository", "to day 1"): "Current iteration of manager completely screwed up. Abort.". It probaly completely erases memories of everyone aside from Angela (and probably Hokma), and reset to day 1, aka "delete your save file".

TeeQueue posted:

This is a quote from a French poem called "Prière pour aimer la douleur" (Prayer to Love Sorrow/Prayer for Loving Sorrow, depending on translation) by Francis Jammes. Binah is not just a murderous Arbiter, she's also cultured.
We knew this from flashback when she complimented Daniel taste in music.

TeeQueue posted:

In summary: We meet Binah, who quotes a poem about loving despair at us. She's clearly having a bad time but stopped caring about any of it a long time ago. She speaks mostly in metaphors and riddles, but refers to a Well that she draws from by a Bucket, which we apparently made. Since the Well is the relic of all humanity and the Bucket draws water from it, the water in this metaphor is… :iiam:
I binge-played all Persona games recently, so I have very skewed interpretation of water sources metaphors and what comes from them.

TeeQueue posted:

Tradition states that we keep things that way a little longer, I'm afraid. The hands of time are already in motion, and I can do nothing to stop them.
Ah, the mysterious time-keeper guy. Who apparently deals white damage.

TeeQueue posted:

Disciplinary's ready for anything-or I pound them. We'll be fine.
[...]
And hopefully it'll take punching them in the face!
Oh, we have a Little Gebura here. :allears: Can we change her title to Gebura Jr.?

It is interesting that Upper Layer Sephirot didn't have memories of their past life, and remembering made them go crazy instantly. Middle Layer Sephirot had their memory intact, accepted their place in the facility, but with enough prodding can go crazy from disrepancy in their ideals and their role. Upper Layer Sephirot (or at least Binah) seems to be completely aware of everything and are okay with it. I wonder if, unlike other Sephirot, their suppressions would not be temper tantrums, but a deliberate attempt to destroy facility for their own goals?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MiiNiPaa posted:

From Angela monologue it seems that there is a fourth setting on TT device (aside from "repeat day". "to memory repository", "to day 1"): "Current iteration of manager completely screwed up. Abort.". It probaly completely erases memories of everyone aside from Angela (and probably Hokma), and reset to day 1, aka "delete your save file".

(From Mechanics Talk 14: )

It turns out that this was a canon feature all along, yes.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Binah what the hell are you talking about
It’s obviously a metaphor for something important, since apparently A made the Bucket, but I have no idea. Is this where cogito comes from?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Binah is a tremendous meme within the community because, well, remember that we're looking at the version of the game that got a retranslation patch. And Binah is still hard to comprehend. She used to be even MORE incomprehensible before.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

the Orb of Zot posted:

Binah what the hell are you talking about
It’s obviously a metaphor for something important, since apparently A made the Bucket, but I have no idea. Is this where cogito comes from?

Cogito is the bucket in the metaphor I think. If the water in the well is the human subconscious and the water brought up is the E.G.O and Abnormalities then Cogito is the bucket that carries that water out of the well.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Cogito is the bucket in the metaphor I think. If the water in the well is the human subconscious and the water brought up is the E.G.O and Abnormalities then Cogito is the bucket that carries that water out of the well.

I think that might be a bit far of a jump, when EGO and Abnormalities are not liquid (mostly, there’s probably at least one out there that is a liquid). It’s already been pretty clear for a while that abnormalities have no shared origin, so they’re clearly not the water in this weird metaphor, and EGO has been established as being made/extracted from abnormalities so that doesn’t fit either. But cogito never had any origins or explanations on what it actually is given out yet, only that it’s a weird helldrug that can if used very improperly kill good workers or turn them into abnormalities.
Human subconscious being the “well” I guess could fit, as the well is referred to as the fount and relic of all mankind from ancient times, and this game is named Lobotomy Corporation so that’s kind of a decent hint that it’s mind related.

So yeah, I’m guessing L-Corp managed to tunnel a hole into the human subconscious despite that not being a physical thing that exists via some weird way and now we’re drawing cogito out of it because it’s now a resource to be exploited for power and money. :lobcorp:

River = maybe the human subconscious or some weird source of humanity as a concept or something else entirely, well = the hole L-Corp bored into it, water = cogito probably, bucket = ??? But apparently of A’s design so it’s going to be some horrible atrocity :v:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Sorry, I dont quite follow. What do you mean by 3-2 or 2-3?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm calling Cogito the bucket based on discussion of how the Cogito experiments were trying to draw "something" out of the people the Cogito was being used on, and assuming that "something" is some of the abnormalities like say the Wizard of Oz stuff. Or in the case of the Forsaken Murderer his internal psychosis becoming real (the metal head thing).

Basically A invents Cogito, which allows people to be used as access points to the collective subconscious of mankind like in Persona using an Evoker and facing your own mortality can draw out your Persona from the collective subconscious. That's what I'm reading into things so far based on what we've heard about Cogito and the experiments LobCorp was doing.

Obviously not all Abnormalities are made like this, but I think this is at least an explanation for what Binah's talking about with the Well metaphor.

Cogito literally being the latern word for the state of thinking (Cogito ergo Sum or in English I think therefore I am) so it's probably got something to do with human thoughts, and they were trying to draw something out of the people. I don't know why it melted Elijah/Malkuth, perhaps in sublimating the mind to access the subconscious it has the potential to just sublimate the body too.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 28, 2020

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Unlock 3 levels of one and 2 of another. I suspect this is because of memrepo happening and you needing to be able to get any of those to level 5 before some day.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The bucket:

Also, remember they're not just going into the subconscious. They're going so deep, it's never flown outside. The marinaras trench and volcanic vents of the mind.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crack plot guess: Hokma is Bishop's dad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It is fascinating reading others thoughts on Binah's metaphors because I had a vastly different take. I had two different interpretations but after a reread, I feel one of them fits better.

When you consider what Lobotomy Corporation's role in the city it resides in is I feel it's pretty safe to consider the "water" that Binah mentions is the power derived the work done on Abnormalities. The "river" is metaphor for the places they provide energy to. The upper river is the other Wings who get the first access to and most pure(?) energy for allowing them to continue running their operations to protect and maintain the city. The middle river is the Nest, getting the next most energy to help maintain their happy upper crust lives but not so much that the Nest can keep growing. The lower river is the Back Streets who get the dregs of energy forcing it to be fought over. As for the "trash" that is mentioned, perhaps as a side effect of extracting literal positive emotional energy from weird collective unconscious monstrosities somehow picks up emotions from the areas it passes through and warps the usable energy into unusable trash? The other thing the "trash" could be are the Ordeals that pop up, and this entire metaphor is actually just about Lob Corp itself? Perhaps those Ordeals get shunted back to Lob Corp to let those actually qualified deal with them? Not entirely sure really.

As for what the Bucket is, I think it's Lobotomy Corp itself. And the Wells? I think it's a toss up between either the Abnormalities or the Sephirot. Maybe even both? I would consider Cogito the rope and pulley in the metaphor personally, as a way to dredge up the water from the wells.

That's my two cents. Hell I could be overthinking it and the metaphor is just about Lobotomy Corp with the upper, middle, and lower levels, trash being the Ordeals makes way more sense.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I would assume that it is a mission thing. If you open up one department fully you can do its missions one a day taking up 4-5 days. However if you open up 2 you can do both of whatever mission is up in one day, so say Mission 2 of one department at the same time as Mission 1 of the other.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Chaosbrain posted:

I would assume that it is a mission thing. If you open up one department fully you can do its missions one a day taking up 4-5 days. However if you open up 2 you can do both of whatever mission is up in one day, so say Mission 2 of one department at the same time as Mission 1 of the other.

And due to the timing, you need to also be handling the Middle Layer's Core Suppressions. Atziluth appears to be a gigantic clusterfuck, and this is the calm before the storm. We're not likely to have another quiet day in the run.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elfface posted:

The bucket:

Also, remember they're not just going into the subconscious. They're going so deep, it's never flown outside. The marinaras trench and volcanic vents of the mind.

I have trouble with any interpretation other than this one. I mean, they look like buckets or elevator cars being lifted out of a mine!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
This is a Bucket.

Dear God...

There's more.

NO..!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Theantero posted:

This is a Bucket.

Dear God...

There's more.

NO..!

Bravo. :golfclap:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Thank you to those that clarified.

As for our Goth Bucket, if the "water" is abnormalities and the "bucket" is cogito, that would give a new meaning to Binah heading Extraction. Extraction of EGOs perhaps, but also extraction of abnormalities?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I move that Binah's name is now Goth Bucket, all in favor

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Elfface posted:

The bucket:

Only looks a bit like a bucket, and that interpretation would result in having to explain why all the abnormalities that clearly weren’t L-Corps fault got brought up in the same buckets (which is especially notable when the donator abnormalities actually have a different kind of chamber). That’s either a really large plot hole or the buckets double as the abnormality chambers so they’re just stored there until needed.

Arcade Rabbit does bring up a decent point though: do we know how L-Corp captures the abnormalities yet, or is it just “we look for one outside and then throw bodies at it until we finally wrangle it in”?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MiiNiPaa posted:

If the sephirot get their memories completely reformatted every time the manager breaks, then what are are they talking about when comparing X against "previous managers" constantly?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

She speaks mostly in metaphors and riddles, but refers to a Well that she draws from by a Bucket, which we apparently made.

Water you talking about?

It's a joke.

I know. :-/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

If the sephirot get their memories completely reformatted every time the manager breaks, then what are are they talking about when comparing X against "previous managers" constantly?

I think they are referring to different iterations of the manager as different people, basically, because he starts from a clean slate every time (assuming it's a full reset and not a day 1 rewind). Maybe the reason this version is named "X" is because they've made it through the rest of the alphabet already. It seems like given everything so far it's heavily implied that A is basically the only "manager" there's ever been. Also I think the sephirot don't get completely reformatted because they do seem to be aware of previous iterations in general and the deeper you go the more aware of it they are. There's a weird thing going on where because they're "AI but not really", a lot of what they talk about seems to be more about deliberately holding back information rather than simply not knowing things, because their "programming" doesn't allow them to talk about it until the appropriate part in the "play".

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 28, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Theantero posted:

This is a Bucket.

Dear God...

There's more.

NO..!

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hm, maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm seconding Goth Bucket.