Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I haven't been to a lego store since before corona hit, does anyone know if the PAB wall features more small tiles since the release of the dot stuff and other decorating sets? I want to get my hands on a bucketload of 1x1 / 1x2 tiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Lego is not an American company.

"Police" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, even within the same country.

This set was conceived and designed before the George Floyd protests- this modular police station is not a response to these by Lego saying "we stand with cops" :patriot: , or worse, "all lives matter" :downs:

It's also extremely US-centric to think this set (that again, was planned in advance) should have been pulled solely due to events in America- I guess the whole rest of the world doesn't get a modular because the entire nation of America poo poo the bed? As someone who doesn't live there, I say no thanks, but there are some to whom it is inconceivable that the rest of the world wouldn't deprive itself needlessly of a toy because the US offends its own sensibilities with regards to civil and human rights.

In the world of Lego, the minifigures take on whatever personality you're giving them. Your Lego cops are only bastards if you want them to be. The world of Lego is a peaceful cosmopolitan society, but notice like with any source of entertainment, there needs to be interesting conflict between characters in the form of opposing factions. In the Richard Scarry-esque world of Lego and long-established career archetypes, it would not be controversial to say that the police are the "good" guys (and conversely, they're only the good guys if you want them to be) that oppose a faction that explicitly commits crime (robbers who are the same color as the police, who depending on your sense of justice are the "real" good guys).

I won't be buying the set because I don't find it terribly interesting, and I will avoid making terrible performative jokes about guillotines and arson. My favorite modulars are the ones that go all in on the "mixed use" aspect, and are a visibly eclectic combination of different businesses (Assembly Square being the GOAT). I do see potential with this one and the Bookstore (turning the station into a giant Strand Books-style bookstore and the smaller blue building into the Police Station).
the gently caress The Police statements didn't originate with the george floyd protests nor did the lengthy, lengthy history of police brutality in the US or elsewhere. nor did the protests against police violence only happen in the US, it was a global movement, and cops in other countries are absolutely bastards, but that is for another thread.

lego sets, as I said, present a Pleasantville style depiction of police, all the imagery without all the controversy. there is a long history of toys(and most forms of media really) promoting cops as the Good Guys versus literally anyone else as The Bad Guys. This set should not have come out now, if ever, but especially now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 28, 2020

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

In the last Lego Space Police, with Brick Daddy's Lunar Limo, all the bad guys were aliens, all the police officers were humans.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

I didn't catch it this week, have you abandoned the Moroccan street?
Not sure I'd say "abandoned," I just didn't feel like working on it this week. It occurs to me we shouldn't have launched the stream with such a large project, anyway - I'd really like to complete a build live soon, and now we're poised to do that!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Not sure I'd say "abandoned," I just didn't feel like working on it this week. It occurs to me we shouldn't have launched the stream with such a large project, anyway - I'd really like to complete a build live soon, and now we're poised to do that!

That's cool, just wondering what I missed is all.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
The Colosseum box weighs nearly the same as the Millennium Falcon box did, but is about half the depth, leading you to think it won't be too hard to carry out of a crowded shopping centre. This is an error. That was a long, long walk to the car.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Counterpoint: the set prominently features donuts. Donuts and american cops is a long standing trope. In other words, this set is based on US cops.

I don't disagree with the connection you're making (it's a valid point and trope), but as a non-US resident, it really wasn't my first thought.

Instead, I took the addition of a cake as being a nod to an earlier modular, 10246 - Detective's Office, where there's a theme of sugar prohibition and the minifigures are cooking/smuggling cakes/biscuits/sweets etc.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey if anyone has any of the HP wand pieces, could you do me a favour and let me know if they fit relatively securely into a stud w/hole (like on a jumper plate) so that they can stand upright? Thanks in advance.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

It works, but it's not particularly secure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey if anyone has any of the HP wand pieces, could you do me a favour and let me know if they fit relatively securely into a stud w/hole (like on a jumper plate) so that they can stand upright? Thanks in advance.

It fits in, but it is in no way stable; it'll fall right out with the least bit of pressure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Unrelated, but it's a crying shame that the Ghostbusters' 75828 Ecto-1 didn't come with the stand for the minifigs like the Guybusters' 21108 one did. I bricklinked my own, though.

I have a dupe MISB 21108 I should probably get around to selling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My interpretation is that because all the minifigs fit into 75828 it was more of a play set and didn't need a stand.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Davros1 posted:

It fits in, but it is in no way stable; it'll fall right out with the least bit of pressure.

That's okay, i plan to hold it in place with the underside of the tile above it. Just wanted to see if it would stand at all. Thanks for that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello LEGO friends I unfortunately had to push some buttons in this thread which is not something I like to do. The DIY&H 'no politics' rules exists so that people can chill and enjoy their hobbies and try to ignore HellWorld 2020. I am glad people are politically engaged (see below) but DIY&H is not the place for that discussion.

Carbohydrates posted:

I feel like this is a really, really important piece of the puzzle that Reddit, Eurobricks, and all the other sites trying to shut down "political discussion" are missing - the very existence of this thing is political, and whitewashed portrayals of police as unequivocal "good guys" is political. That is to say: shutting down challenges to this notion is - whether deliberate or not - lending credence to that narrative. So refusing to allow a discussion of that aspect of it and allowing this portrayal to continue uninterrupted is, unfortunately, a political act. Since LEGO decided this set needs to exist in a year where the American public approval of the police is at an all-time low (below 50%), then its very existence is the inciting incident, not the discussions that result from it.

There is no easy answer here and I do not envy the position of a mod that has to somehow reconcile a "no politics" rule with an official LEGO set that is political.

Oh a lighter note, this was our best stream yet (IMO) and I'm really happy with the new li'l build we have going! I think we'll finish banging it out next week.

I agree with you that saying we can't have this discussion is political, and does indeed support the status-quo narrative. However, I am not saying we shouldn't have this discussion or that it's not important, I am saying that the LEGO thread in the DIY & Hobbies subforum is not the place to have it. I think there is alot to be said not only about LEGO, but about toys and children's media in general and their portrayal of the police, military, etc. That would make an interesting thread in D&D-if anyone wants to continue that discussion, please make a thread over there. Please feel free to link to it itt so anyone else can find it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

It might help to put a round single stud with a hole in the middle onto the plate and put the wand into that and push down, gives the base a little more height.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hopper posted:

It might help to put a round single stud with a hole in the middle onto the plate and put the wand into that and push down, gives the base a little more height.

Just tried that; it works!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

GlenMR posted:

The Colosseum box weighs nearly the same as the Millennium Falcon box did, but is about half the depth, leading you to think it won't be too hard to carry out of a crowded shopping centre. This is an error. That was a long, long walk to the car.

Please let us know how the build goes. I've never bought any of the super big sets and was tempted by this one. I also thought the little freebie chariot was neat too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Hopper posted:

Techniques like that balloons the piece count (and cost) of a MOC, ask me how i know!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I hope they'll make something a bit smaller and Roman/Greek. I really am tempted to get the Colosseum; I think it looks great, but I still can't justify spending $550 on a single Lego set, and I feel like I should probably avoid trying to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Techniques like that balloons the piece count (and cost) of a MOC, ask me how i know!

How do you know?!?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

I hope they'll make something a bit smaller and Roman/Greek. I really am tempted to get the Colosseum; I think it looks great, but I still can't justify spending $550 on a single Lego set, and I feel like I should probably avoid trying to.
Parthenon?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
They should just do a roman line, like castles. Colessium is cool but if I can drop $600 on that then I have no excuse to give myself for the falcon

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Duvel posted:

They should just do a roman line, like castles. Colessium is cool but if I can drop $600 on that then I have no excuse to give myself for the falcon

Ancient world LEGO has been a wish of mine since childhood. I was obsessed with the classics, ancient Greek and Romans and Persians and Egyptians and Carthaginians... I would flip out if that happened

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Does anyone have tips on selling lego sets? Should I use eBay or something like Bricklink?

I went a bit mad over this pandemic and dove into this hobby headfirst(it’s Veni’s fault) and I have about $3000.00 worth of modulars and Star Wars sets that I’m just tired of looking at. I had a LOT of fun building them, honestly, but I truly don’t care for them as display pieces or part of a collection.

I can drop of list of what I have if any Goon is interested in buying at a massive discount but I’ve been wondering how hard it is to sell used set without the boxes? Would I have to separate all the pieces into their original bag numbers? Think I’d rather melt them down instead of ever doing that.

Literally any tips or advice is appreciated.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Please let us know how the build goes. I've never bought any of the super big sets and was tempted by this one. I also thought the little freebie chariot was neat too.

I will! Current plan is to tackle it after Christmas when I've got some free time. Also, free chariot? I didn't get any kind of bonus thing!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Give me the Seven Wonders in brick form.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

omg chael crash posted:

Does anyone have tips on selling lego sets? Should I use eBay or something like Bricklink?

I went a bit mad over this pandemic and dove into this hobby headfirst(it’s Veni’s fault) and I have about $3000.00 worth of modulars and Star Wars sets that I’m just tired of looking at. I had a LOT of fun building them, honestly, but I truly don’t care for them as display pieces or part of a collection.

I can drop of list of what I have if any Goon is interested in buying at a massive discount but I’ve been wondering how hard it is to sell used set without the boxes? Would I have to separate all the pieces into their original bag numbers? Think I’d rather melt them down instead of ever doing that.

Bricklink for the best prices, but the slowest sale. Also, IMO, pickier customers, if that's a potential hassle point. Ebay or goons or Craigslist or whatever for the quicker sale.

Selling used without boxes: you don't HAVE to do anything. You can just take 'em apart and throw all the parts into one bag. Hell, that's how some masochists builders prefer to do it. Most of us also don't really give a poo poo if you have the original boxes or not; that's more for collectors. Post whatcha got! Or, if it's a big ol' list, just make a thread in SA-Mart and link it here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How has the Super Mario line turned out? I was skeptical when it was announced / released and I'm curious to see how it's gone after the initial hype phase.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has the Super Mario line turned out? I was skeptical when it was announced / released and I'm curious to see how it's gone after the initial hype phase.

They announced a second series for 2021. Barring contractual obligations, it probably did OK.

I did notice in the last catalog that there were multiple callouts instructing buyers of the base set requirement.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should do the Colosseum but as it actually was, not the hosed up ruin it is now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

I've just recently been getting back into this hobby and I have a feeling I'm a lot like you, in that I like the building but I don't terribly want a ton of lego sets sitting around my house. I want to build them, enjoy them a bit, take them apart and stash them away for a decade so my toddler son can rebuild them later on. So, I'm not looking to spend a ton on expensive retired sets, but I'm very interested in what you have and would rather save money and buy them in one big bag without the box if it's easiest for shipping.

Edit: tonight I put that led kit on the holiday train and there's just wires everywhere with nowhere to hide the battery pack. Looks drat cool though, I just wish I had bought one for some static building instead of a train.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 29, 2020

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

davebo posted:

Edit: tonight I put that led kit on the holiday train and there's just wires everywhere with nowhere to hide the battery pack. Looks drat cool though, I just wish I had bought one for some static building instead of a train.

Other than the wires going to the usb plug you should be able to hire wires under bricks and poo poo... just be careful or you can snap a wire or two. Ask me how i know :(

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, Penguin Mario is an autobuy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

w00tazn posted:

Other than the wires going to the usb plug you should be able to hire wires under bricks and poo poo... just be careful or you can snap a wire or two. Ask me how i know :(

Yeah I hid everything where the instructions told me to under the bricks, I just feel like there's a lot of slack left over right before they're taped up going to the usb port. I'm not sure how long three AA batteries will power all these led's, but since I use rechargeable batteries I'd have gladly sacrificed longevity for a two AA or 2-3 AAA case, with a micro or usb-c connector maybe? Ah well. Just excited to get my big pack of bootleg tracks in at this point.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
The biggest thing about the new modular is that it's just boring.

I get two levels of enjoyment out of the modulars. The first level is building it and getting to see the build techniques and the little details; think of the bank's vault locking mechanism, or the square's dance studio with the mirror. The second level of enjoyment is seeing it on display on the shelf. The first level of enjoyment is fleeting as I only experience building it once, the second is constant as I see the outside of the building every time I look at it. The two examples I provided above I don't see almost ever again, and I definitely never build them again.

The second level is far more important than the first since it's the reoccurring one. Going even further into it, as an "adult" the second level is the most important aspect of every set. I don't play with my Lego. I build it, put it on the shelf, and admire it. When considering long term enjoyment of a set the play aspect has no value for me. Anything hidden within the set has very little value. Hidden items are not worthless to me because every once in a while a visitor will be looking at a set and I'll offer to pull it down for them to inspect it close up. With Rona that is a very unlikely situation though right now.

Look to last year's bookshop. Absolutely lovely external architecture. Great character and a perfect display piece. Then look to the corner garage or the police station. Just very boring and bland exterior. I'll specifically call out the corner garage by saying who is ever excited to head to the gas station? I have to imagine for the majority of people filing up their car with gas/taking their car into the shop is a sad chore. It is a sad chore for me at least. While I didn't like the fire brigade I could definitely see people liking that one's exterior more than I had. Long story short I hope that next year's modular external is more fun than a flat, tan facade with a few small buildings next to it.

Not related to the new modular I managed to pick up the Ship in a Bottle for ~$55 on Amazon. It was 20% off and then for amazon cards another 10% in rewards. I'm pretty happy with that deal. Also, this weekend I'm working on going through some of my sets. It's not going as speedy as I had hoped, but I am getting through them. I found my idea book (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?B=250&name=Idea%20Book%20250&category=%5BIdea%20Book%5D#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D) and remembered I was trying to sell that for ages. It's crazy because I still have the stickers for that one in there and they're in perfect condition. The worst thing about going through sets is finding all the ones I've been trying to sell for ages. Going to have to get back to listing items for sale again. If you've been waiting to sell things now is the best time to be selling Lego. It's the time where people are buying gifts and then after Christmas people have money to buy items they've been wanting. We'll see if I can muster the energy to list items in my BrickLink store again.

omg chael crash posted:

I've sold a lot. I used to be a flipper of Lego sets. Bricklink and eBay are my preferred methods, but I have also sold on /r/legomarket. I would suggest eBay as your listing can say that it has most of the pieces and doesn't require you to go through every piece to make sure a set is complete. If you have an incomplete set on BrickLink they will complain and complain and complain. I would list them on eBay saying something like "probably complete" or "may be incomplete" with a description that says what you see is what you get. Unless you want to be going through every piece to verify it's complete you'll have to have some level of buyer beware in the listing to protect yourself.

davebo posted:

I've just recently been getting back into this hobby and I have a feeling I'm a lot like you, in that I like the building but I don't terribly want a ton of lego sets sitting around my house. I want to build them, enjoy them a bit, take them apart and stash them away for a decade so my toddler son can rebuild them later on. So, I'm not looking to spend a ton on expensive retired sets, but I'm very interested in what you have and would rather save money and buy them in one big bag without the box if it's easiest for shipping.

At the Lego store I got to know a few retired people that would buy a set, build it, and sell it on eBay. They said after being opened built and sold they'd lose anywhere from 0-50% of the sets value. The one person I got to know better would do it once a month to twice depending on how fast the build went. They would use it as therapy. I thought that'd be a nice way to spend retirement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blue Moonlight posted:

They announced a second series for 2021. Barring contractual obligations, it probably did OK.

I did notice in the last catalog that there were multiple callouts instructing buyers of the base set requirement.

OFFICIAL

LEGO

THWIMP

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

GlenMR posted:

Also, free chariot? I didn't get any kind of bonus thing!

https://www.brickfanatics.com/free-lego-roman-chariot-with-10276-colosseum/

It was on the lego shop page too but nowhere to be found now. Probably a "while supplies last" type thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wow..all 8 items on my wishlist are now out of stock. Crazy.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I've recently just gotten back into Lego after a decade (after a break of a decade before that, too).

While I lament the lack of original Space themes, loving the absolute crap out of the Creator Rover.

To those of you that own the Apollo, is it worth a purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The lander? I enjoyed making it, at least. And it does look nice.