Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Robotics;Notes is pretty enjoyable so far. For some reason these games (this and Steins;Gate and to a lesser extent Chaos;Child, though Chaos;Child is a bit more plot-dense) make stuff that should be boring feel not-boring.

Not sure how they're going to make the robot stuff as interesting as time travel or the crazy poo poo from Chaos;Child, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

playing AI the somnium files and i got to a part on the other side of the first plot bifurcation where cop guy finds the girl's body in the warehouse and drags the crooked politician in for questioning then hacks his brain and then the girl turns out to be alive. and he goes "the world...changed?" which doesn't make sense because if we're reusing the plot from virtue's last reward i didn't reach a point where i saw another outcome of the politician's Inception session. a more logical explanation and the one that cop guy would be rational to suspect would be that he somehow hallucinated seeing the body of the girl

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is Fatal Twelve good? Playing Robotics;Notes is fun and I want some other mystery/plot-focused thing to read, but nearly all the well-reviewed ones are ones that I've either already read or that probably aren't my cup of tea (I don't really like VNs focused on romance or slice of life, unless those things are accompanied by some sort of plot/mystery).

Shear Modulus posted:

playing AI the somnium files and i got to a part on the other side of the first plot bifurcation where cop guy finds the girl's body in the warehouse and drags the crooked politician in for questioning then hacks his brain and then the girl turns out to be alive. and he goes "the world...changed?" which doesn't make sense because if we're reusing the plot from virtue's last reward i didn't reach a point where i saw another outcome of the politician's Inception session. a more logical explanation and the one that cop guy would be rational to suspect would be that he somehow hallucinated seeing the body of the girl

The game is generally pretty good about explaining things (I think it has significantly fewer plot holes than any of the Zero Escape games, though VLR is still probably my favorite of all of them). I'm mentioning this just because it's easy to end up doubting whether you can really trust the game to actually supply a good explanation for things, but most of the explanations provided in Somnium Files make sense.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am finally watching more Higurashi NEW and episode 4 really got me. ”Oh yeah, it’s Onikakushi but Keiichi is remembering already! Hell yeah, Keiichi! Awkward-hug Rena! Solve things with the power of hope and friendshiOH GOD RENA THAT IS NOT DINNER OH GOD NO”

I still haven’t finished Higurashi 8, is there anything in here that’s going to spoil me for that? So far it kinda seems like reading through 7 had me covered.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
8 has one very big surprise. I would try to finish it. Idk what's in NEW but I would watch out.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I desperately need to finish 8 of Higurashi too, I’ve put it off for ages.

I started House in the Fata Morgana on a whim. Door 1 was so insufferable that I was tempted to drop the whole thing. Then Door 2 opened up with an incredible hook and I’m all in now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Door 1 is a weird intro but it's a story that in retrospect makes a lot more sense why it is the way it is and when it was told in the story, and perhaps most importantly that it's completely necessary as well. I'm not sure what the alternative would have been (because Door 2 is a weird way to start in its own way) but it's thankfully not *that* long.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like door one more than two. Two has its twist I guess but you see what it’s doing from the very beginning.

I absolutely hated door three, that was insufferable

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I hated the most about door one was how annoying the music was (to me). Door 2 kicks rear end imo

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

The thing I hated the most about door one was how annoying the music was (to me). Door 2 kicks rear end imo
What, you didn't like the repeating short song that starts with an organ grinder and ends with a kid going Blah! Blah! Blah! Clap! Clap! Clap! while you're trying to focus on what you're reading?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Actually the entire soundtrack is good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I especially like how distinct the atmosphere is for each setting

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Squiddycat posted:

Actually the entire soundtrack is good

:emptyquote:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

What, you didn't like the repeating short song that starts with an organ grinder and ends with a kid going Blah! Blah! Blah! Clap! Clap! Clap! while you're trying to focus on what you're reading?

lol yea that poo poo was terrible

I didn't like door 1 much at all, I asked about it here at the time and people said it wasn't very good and to keep going so I did

I guess i stopped somewhere in the middle of door 2, it was definitely better but I wasn't super grabbed, which ones are the ones people think are like really good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's hard to get to into details about the structure of Fata Morgana with like Door preference because I genuinely believe the less you know about the structure of the story the more enjoyable it will be.

Of at least the first three doors, 3 is probably my favorite (Maria ftw) because of its music and setting but I also enjoyed 2 as a horror vignette. Neither are my favorites (or really anywhere close even!) but they were enough to hook me to press on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

It's hard to get to into details about the structure of Fata Morgana with like Door preference because I genuinely believe the less you know about the structure of the story the more enjoyable it will be.

Of at least the first three doors, 3 is probably my favorite (Maria ftw) because of its music and setting but I also enjoyed 2 as a horror vignette. Neither are my favorites (or really anywhere close even!) but they were enough to hook me to press on.

oh ok so I guess I shouldn't ask how many there are then it sounds like that itself could be a spoiler

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

woodenchicken posted:

I actually really like the one I think you mean... Though I admit it can be a little distracting while reading.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ytlaya posted:

Is Fatal Twelve good? Playing Robotics;Notes is fun and I want some other mystery/plot-focused thing to read, but nearly all the well-reviewed ones are ones that I've either already read or that probably aren't my cup of tea (I don't really like VNs focused on romance or slice of life, unless those things are accompanied by some sort of plot/mystery).

If you want a death game story that isn't mean-spirited and treats nearly all of its characters with sympathy or at least understanding, it's pretty good I think. There are substantial slice-of-life segments and a major romance subplot, but it sounds like those aren't a dealbreaker for you as long as the main plot is strong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm liking Robotics;Notes quite a bit so far (I'm now in Phase 4 I think). The characters actually seem to have more depth than the ones in Steins;Gate. Like the protagonist is obnoxious and a gamer, but he's fully self-aware about this. And the same goes for Akiho, who is really immature in various ways but is also self-aware about how irrational some of her behavior is. I didn't like Akiho much at first, but her relationship with the protagonist is actually pretty compelling.

The NEET girl character is also genuinely weird and off-putting (and the protagonist reacts normally to this), as opposed to just being a Daru-esque character whose antics are played for laughs.

The tweets are great and it's neat to see the characters interacting with each other digitally (as opposed to Steins;Gate where you only received text messages). Junna's posts are really funny, and I like when Frau says some insane poo poo and Sister Centipede goes "Chill out." And the protagonist is a loser who just tweets his win/loss ratio from his gaming.

Thuryl posted:

If you want a death game story that isn't mean-spirited and treats nearly all of its characters with sympathy or at least understanding, it's pretty good I think. There are substantial slice-of-life segments and a major romance subplot, but it sounds like those aren't a dealbreaker for you as long as the main plot is strong.

Yeah, I don't dislike slice-of-life/romance at all as long as the game isn't centered around it. I'll try it out after finishing Robotics;Notes. I really like death game plots in general; the author really has to screw up for me to not enjoy them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I bought AI: The Somnium Files over black friday and finished it this weekend. I really enjoyed it! I figured out who the killer was before the reveal and felt smrt. My only real issues were that none of the close-combat action scenes really felt impactful, and any non-named character had some of the most ridiculously bad aim I've ever seen in fiction. I did think it was weird how the game brought in parallel universes towards the end but never really explained how they worked. Literally everything else was explained so it feels weird to have this one thing still hanging. Also it was probably an oversight but big lol at the power of dance healing Hitomi's arm in the grand finale.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Droyer posted:

I bought AI: The Somnium Files over black friday and finished it this weekend. I really enjoyed it! I figured out who the killer was before the reveal and felt smrt. My only real issues were that none of the close-combat action scenes really felt impactful, and any non-named character had some of the most ridiculously bad aim I've ever seen in fiction. I did think it was weird how the game brought in parallel universes towards the end but never really explained how they worked. Literally everything else was explained so it feels weird to have this one thing still hanging. Also it was probably an oversight but big lol at the power of dance healing Hitomi's arm in the grand finale.

re the spoiler-tagget bits: Have you played the author's other works, mainly the Zero Escape games? He likes to play with those kind of themes. If you're curious about the exploration of those maybe check out his other games.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Droyer posted:

All the QTE action scenes where Date takes out hordes of mooks could have just been scrapped imo. The scene of the gang very slowly driving forward with like two dozen guys shooting at them while remaining perfectly still and giving Date enough time to stand up in the truck bed and pitch playboys at them was just bad

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

re the spoiler-tagget bits: Have you played the author's other works, mainly the Zero Escape games? He likes to play with those kind of themes. If you're curious about the exploration of those maybe check out his other games.

I'm not so much curious about their exploration in the general sense as I wish they were explained in this game in particular. Without explanation as to how parallel universes work/why it's Date in particular that's able to get information from other universes it just comes off as a Deus Ex Machina to let the good guys win

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Being self aware your poo poo doesn’t seem like depth but a lame attempt to have your cake and eat it too

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
what should I play if I want to re-live the high of Ever17. I haven’t done a lot of VNs really (999 trilogy, PW:AA 1-4, and danganronpa 1-3). I was thinking maybe Steins;Gate, will that blow my mind?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steins gate is good but it won't "blow your mind". Maybe umineko. I only have gotten to chapter three, one day I'll beat it, but it certainly gave me a lot of thoughts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jeep posted:

what should I play if I want to re-live the high of Ever17. I haven’t done a lot of VNs really (999 trilogy, PW:AA 1-4, and danganronpa 1-3). I was thinking maybe Steins;Gate, will that blow my mind?

It's nothing compared to Ever17 (nothing is!) but Phoenix Wright 5 has some pretty great twists.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Squiddycat posted:

It's nothing compared to Ever17 (nothing is!) but Phoenix Wright 5 has some pretty great twists.

I dunno man ZTD has the only twist in a game that made me drop my system from laughing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Squiddycat posted:

I had to check which one was 5 and it looks like it was Dual Destinies which was ok but I thought the puzzles were abnormally easy for the series, which imo made the whole thing not as good. The most recent one (Spirit of Justice) was imo the strongest Phoenix Wright of the post-original-trilogy ones. The spinoff where you play as Edgeworth is also fun.

op if you liked the zero escape games then AI the Somnium files which is by the same people is pretty good even if the puzzles are too easy in it also

e: Ghost Trick is good too and it looks like they also ported it from DS to phones like the Phoenix Wrights

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeep posted:

I can't really think of much else that has the whole "very surprising and well done plot twist" element, to be honest. There are other series that are good, but not in that specific way.

You might want to check out Chaos;Child. I liked it a lot and at least one of its twists was really good.

It's also probably worth checking out AI Somnium Files if you haven't already (it's twists aren't as shocking, but they're pretty coherent and well done). And also maybe that Root Double game, though I haven't played it. Apparently that's vaguely similar to the 999 Trilogy stuff.

You should still play all the other highly recommended VNs, though (Umineko is the best, Fata Morgana is also really good, plus the aforementioned Steins;Gate and its "successor" Robotics;Notes which I'm playing now). If you enjoyed E17, you'll probably also like them a lot. E17 probably has more barriers to enjoyment than most other highly recommended VNs, so if you enjoyed it you'll probably enjoy others that are paced better.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 10, 2020

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Root Double is good, but you'll probably guess all the big reveals long before they outright tell you. It likes to give you very obvious hints.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For something recent, 13 Sentinels extremely scratched that itch for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Currently on sale on PSN too.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Jeep posted:

Maybe Umineko? Though I feel it is more of a "slow" feeling around twists, rather than a quick sudden burst like Ever 17 does.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked root double overall but it is not well paced, with the last route in particular being an offense with it constantly being broken up by "here's my life story" flashbacks.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked root double overall but it is not well paced, with the last route in particular being an offense with it constantly being broken up by "here's my life story" flashbacks.
The Xtra feature is even better since you're just given literally a hundred or so flashbacks to dig through at your leisure. For readers who can't get enough of those. Most of them you've read before... Some are familiar, but with a twist. A few are actually cool. The only way to be sure is to read them all!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whoa. In Higurashi 8 do I just need to read the Fragments in order as things happen (e.g. getting the candy at the store, then choosing to talk to Mion about it after)? Or is it more specific than that?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing specific, just read whatever you want in whatever order you are able to do so as they open up.

There is a "secret" ending you can unlock if you do them in a specific order but that's something to worry about after you finish the game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah the fragments are more of a cosmetic thing to make believe you're doing the deductive work but they took an opportunity to hide a thing so it's worth a second look after you've gone through the end of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raging Loop question! I just finished Wit and loved it. How many "main" routes are there? I don't want names, just numbers. Is Darkness the last one? I hope not!