Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IUG posted:

The worst part about Doug and Large Wife is that everyone was freaking out about Betsy shattering minutes before, but then they're all in attendance for the wedding and behaving themselves.
And people mock the idea that this series was badly paced. Remember when we had entire issues devoted to Apocalypse recounting his Krakoa life with his family and Doug trying to learn to sword fight? Or the midpoint where we had massive prophecies dumped onto the characters for the 2nd or 3rd time? This whole thing is gonna read really loving weird in a trade, even if most of the individual chapters were good. The wedding was probably the most rushed, yeah. Also the one where Redroot was apparently imprisoned forever in The Crooked Market and no one gave a gently caress.

frodnonnag posted:

the end of the last book hints that one of their swords were influencing them.

Open Marriage Night posted:

The end of the book hints that both their swords might be influencing them.
I really didn't read it that way, I read the "nothing is going to change" lines as foreshadowing of how the swords are going to try to gently caress up the union eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RodReis/status/1332562299807297537?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah, hes that nightclub owner from Madripor, right? I wonder what he's doing there, are they going to reveal he's a mutant or some evil mastermind?

He is a regular human bartender who drinks human beer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get the feeling that the pacing problems were the result of the crossover being written in such a way that if you're not reading all the titles you can just skip the ones you're not following and read the one-shots and get enough of the story that also follows through with the regular series. Hellions was particularly guilty of this. You could pretty easily cut those parts out and it would make virtually no difference to the overall X of Swords narrative, but it was a good Hellions story if you've been following that. Does that make the pacing issues better? No, not really, but it does explain them a bit, at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, is there a reason that Warlock is Doug's arm? It seems like Doug still has an arm and that Warlock is capable of separating himself, so what's the deal there?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Warlock's been hiding.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I've never read any Excalibur in my life or known anything about Otherworld, but could someone explain to me why apparently the Multiverse is ruled by the English? As a god-fearing American patriot I must protest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

galagazombie posted:

So I've never read any Excalibur in my life or known anything about Otherworld, but could someone explain to me why apparently the Multiverse is ruled by the English? As a god-fearing American patriot I must protest.

Merlin bullshit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Merlin bullshit.

You mean Anglocentric bullshit.

The most unrealistic thing in the Marvel multiverse is that Captain Britain is some sort of important person in their universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

The most unrealistic thing in the Marvel multiverse is that Captain Britain is some sort of important person in their universe.

He isn't though, he's important in other universes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Warlock's been hiding.

Yeah, but like, is that from a previous run, have they explained it at all or is this something that's gonna be explained further down the line?

(also he's not hiding very well, people have got to have noticed Doug has a weird black techno-arm and everybody in XoS has to be wondering where the sword came from)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but like, is that from a previous run, have they explained it at all or is this something that's gonna be explained further down the line?

(also he's not hiding very well, people have got to have noticed Doug has a weird black techno-arm and everybody in XoS has to be wondering where the sword came from)

Before the HoxPox relaunch Doug and Warlock were bonded or merged or something for a while and couldn't separate without Doug dying. At the start of HoxPox it appears that for unknown reason Doug and Warlock were pretending that was still the case but they haven't explained why they were pretending. I think most people on Krakoa know that isn't true anymore.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

He isn't though, he's important in other universes.

That's the most colonial-rear end thing ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

That's the most colonial-rear end thing ever.

Well, the name is literally "Captain Britain."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I say the X-Men invade Otherworld an replace it with Captain Not-Aligned-to-any-Particular-Nation-Culture-or-Ethnicity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

danbanana posted:

The idea is that every planet has some kind of "Captain Britain" in the sense of someone who gets super-powers from the occult energies of dear old England, but the details vary wildly. Sort of like Green (and Pleasant) Lantern.

I think in addition to several Nazi ones, there was at least one non-nazi German one, one from a universe where the UK was in the United States, and at least one dinosaur.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Probably something that'll be explained further down the line.

Though my thinking is that it'll have something to do with the Phalanx/Techarch stuff that Hickman had in House/Powers of X.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The hiding thing was them hiding the fact Doug and Warlock are sperate now. People had previously thought they were still merged.

It comes up in the Giant Size Nightcrawler one-shot which is available on unlimited if you have access to that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

The idea is that every planet has some kind of "Captain Britain" in the sense of someone who gets super-powers from the occult energies of dear old England, but the details vary wildly. Sort of like Green (and Pleasant) Lantern.

I think in addition to several Nazi ones, there was at least one non-nazi German one, one from a universe where the UK was in the United States, and at least one dinosaur.

Yeah they've tried to retcon it to being "Oh it just happens that this spot is usually England in the multiverse and that spot is where these occult energies happen to be, so the name is a coincidence" which is also extremely loving on-brand for a franchise called "Captain Britain" but yeah it's never going to sit quite right. The origins are a little sour and that's never going to get fully washed out.

It's one of those things you can either roll with, or you can't. It's clear that enough people on the editing/writing teams are aware of the subtext to avoid making it an issue, so you'd have to be a serious grumpypants to crusade against it as long as everyone is upfront.

It's functionally similar to how ignorant wads will try to rail against Captain America on his face when the actual creators of everything Captain America-related have always been very careful to avoid making him a flag-wanker, just a little less neat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think they were hiding that Warlock has been with Doug this entire time. Doug is the mutants main link to Krakoa, and that a member of the technarch might be influencing things would be quite alarming.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's not really much to a single captain britain, but it is somehow mystically significant that there are many of them across the multiverse and they are all connected.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

galagazombie posted:

I say the X-Men invade Otherworld an replace it with Captain Not-Aligned-to-any-Particular-Nation-Culture-or-Ethnicity.

The Flag-Smasher Corp! Yeah! I'm all for it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

With Doug it's best not to ask questions. Before the HoX/PoX prologue his last appearance was as a hobo, squatting in an abandoned house, on the verge of death because he was physically addicted to memes.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With Doug it's best not to ask questions. Before the HoX/PoX prologue his last appearance was as a hobo, squatting in an abandoned house, on the verge of death because he was physically addicted to memes.

I can't even tell if this a joke or not because C O M I C S

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lucca Blight posted:

I can't even tell if this a joke or not because C O M I C S

Pretty sure it's not.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will always at least give Hickman credit, throughout these books and also his Avengers, for making me care even slightly about the New Mutants generation of new mutants, which is a task no other writers have accomplished.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I will always at least give Hickman credit, throughout these books and also his Avengers, for making me care even slightly about the New Mutants generation of new mutants, which is a task no other writers have accomplished.

loving philistine.

You should go back and read the original Claremont New Mutants.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was this New Mutants: Dead Souls? I remember that series being extremely bad, but don't remember this particular bit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Was this New Mutants: Dead Souls? I remember that series being extremely bad, but don't remember this particular bit.

No I remember this one, I think it was in one of the Return of Wolverine minis. Charles Soule brought him in and theorized that the internet is kind of a language unto itself (in addition to, you know, having every language on it) and so Doug basically got addicted to trying to decode it. Daredevil and... I forget, some other character, have to drag him off the computer so he can help them. And as much as I love Charles Soule, that's one I'm fine with being memory-holed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's some interesting blog stuff out there I can't find rn from someone in linguistics class where they talk about an abstract version of Loss with the primary dividing lines from the comic and then a line for each character in each scene. I could see Doug getting a little crazy with layers of "is this loss" poo poo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They seemed to have walked back a bit on 'Doug can read body language like he's Cassandra Cain and is thus a really good fighter.'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

They seemed to have walked back a bit on 'Doug can read body language like he's Cassandra Cain and is thus a really good fighter.'
They made it clear that he has to learn each person's moves and kinetics and by being a poo poo fighter to start with he wouldn't be able to just jump in and Taskmaster someone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm so looking forward to this.

https://twitter.com/RodReis/status/1332541250893996032?s=19

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

:hmmyes:

They were always solid characters but I also got the sense you needed to grow up with them. Reading the Claremont stuff as an adult was fine, I could see the appeal, but it was hard to give much of a gently caress outside of Rahne in David's X-Factor. Seeing Hickman and other writers do things like promote Magik to the A-List and really let the characters become adults was the best thing that could have happened for them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Skwirl posted:

loving philistine.

You should go back and read the original Claremont New Mutants.

I personally have a hard time going back to old scanned stuff, but Bill Sienkiewicz is an all-timer and the shift in tone is incredible and it's absolutely worth a read.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

They were always solid characters but I also got the sense you needed to grow up with them. Reading the Claremont stuff as an adult was fine, I could see the appeal, but it was hard to give much of a gently caress outside of Rahne in David's X-Factor. Seeing Hickman and other writers do things like promote Magik to the A-List and really let the characters become adults was the best thing that could have happened for them.

I’m reading the Claremont original New Mutants now, and it’s got way more horror and grotesque body horror stuff than I’d suspect based on the first 12 issues. It’s horny and weird and gross in ways that the main title just isn’t. It’s kind of shocking that what starts out as a teen melodrama title ends up with people’s bodies getting magically distorted and tons of scenes of people breaking down psychologically because their body’s been inhabited by a spirit or the Beyonder killed them and brought them back in two pages of Secret Wars II.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I personally have a hard time going back to old scanned stuff, but Bill Sienkiewicz is an all-timer and the shift in tone is incredible and it's absolutely worth a read.

Sienkiewicz deserves to be read on paper and in the largest format available. The Love and War/Elektra: Assassin HC that came out earlier this year (and apparently is now oop) was a steal for $40. Still kicking myself for not grabbing the artist edition Demon Bear/Moon Knight book.

Also, I'm pretty sure the current Magik character should be credited to Bendis, not Hickman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Current Magik owes a lot to Wells, Gillen, and Bendis. Hickman is building on them really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading the Claremont original New Mutants now, and it’s got way more horror and grotesque body horror stuff than I’d suspect based on the first 12 issues. It’s horny and weird and gross in ways that the main title just isn’t. It’s kind of shocking that what starts out as a teen melodrama title ends up with people’s bodies getting magically distorted and tons of scenes of people breaking down psychologically because their body’s been inhabited by a spirit or the Beyonder killed them and brought them back in two pages of Secret Wars II.

At the same time as early New Mutants, they had Masque gently caress with Kitty’s face for a few pages, and a big part of the story was the Morlocks making a dead girl they found look like Kitty, so the X-Men wouldn’t expect the real deal was trapped underground.

But, yeah, a lot of that stuff feels kind of gross to read as an adult. It’s easy to see why it was popular with teenagers though.