Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where is this old man hug fest going to happen? A Las Vegas boxing set? A Fight Island arrangement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

if they’re not scoring for real and the match doesn’t count, you’d have to actively be hunting for a ko for one to happen; i think both fighters would be satisfied with showing that they still “got it” at 50 for a few rounds before they both suffer the actual effects of age in terms of stamina and durability

Tyson might yeah

Roy Jones Jr is sort of insane about this. He can't live without boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

In my scouting of Nate’s training, he’s got good coordination but no power or zip to good padwork. Jake Paul is much bigger, so landing a shot will be hard. Paul has pretty good instinct for his right hand and, sigh, has a lot more experience. I liked this freakshow better when it was AB.

I bet on this before I noticed that Jake is actually much better than Logan. Whoops. Hopefully Nate is the type of guy who wakes up when he gets hit, because he'll need that.

Also the bet happened due to a hilarious "enter instead of backspace" error

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 28, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Jiro posted:

Where is this old man hug fest going to happen? A Las Vegas boxing set? A Fight Island arrangement?

Staples Center, but no crowd

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jump King posted:

The undercard also featuring legitimate fighter Badou Jack, who was also on the undercard for Mayweather-McGregor

I looked him up and apparently he’s won one in his last five?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
4 (possibly 5) of the undercard bouts tonight are sanctioned:

https://boxrec.com/en/event/812535

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MorrisBae posted:

4 (possibly 5) of the undercard bouts tonight are sanctioned:

https://boxrec.com/en/event/812535

I remember Gregory Corbin from when he got DQed on the opening bout of the Spence-Mikey card for punching Prince Charles Martin in the dick. For that one moment truly he walked the Earth like a God

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/wbcmoro/status/1332372682856271873

https://twitter.com/ManoukAkopyan/status/1332797180122378241

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

I looked him up and apparently he’s won one in his last five?

That's Badou Jack for sure. He has a frustrating tendency to start slow and drop a bunch of early rounds then come back hard in the latter half of the fight. He gets a lot of draws because of this.

All those guys he didn't beat in his last 5 were top guys at the time of the fight, and really, he should have beat some of them. Against DeGale I pretty much feel he was robbed, he started slow, getting dropped in the first half, but then came back in the second half to beat the stuffing out of DeGale in the back half of the fight and drop him the 12th. Against Stevenson he started slow in the first half and won the back half cleanly. A draw is a pretty fair outcome for that one, although Jack probably could have won if he just stepped on the gas a little harder, or even earlier. Against Pascal, he once again got dropped in the first half and put the other guy down in the second half. I thought he did enough to win or at worst get a draw, Pascal winning wasn't a robbery or anything but it was a controversial decision.

Browne beat him pretty cleanly, winning the first half of the fight and opening the worst forehead cut I've ever seen on Jack before he could mount his signature second half comeback.

One more thing about Jack, it might not be apparent based on my write up here, but he beats the gently caress out of his opponents. Win, lose or draw, they're never quite the same after he's done with them. DeGale went on to lose to an American journeyman in his next fight. Cleverly, the 5th guy in this "last 5" immediately retired after their fight. Stevenson suffered a career ending injury in his very next fight. Browne lost his next fight to Pascal, who himself hasn't fought since his bout with Jack at the start of the year.

So yeah, that's Badou Jack. He's a 15 round fighter in the 12 round era, who wins fights but loses boxing matches. Ugly record, but a real fighter and good one. He moved up in weight from Super Middleweight to Light Heavyweight during that run of 5, which also made things harder for him. In this fight, he's going against some nobody at Cruiserweight. I have no clue if this is a permanent move or just him not wanting to make weight for a guy who should be way below his level.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This Dubois-Joyce fight is good btw, the most significant fight of the day by far too.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Weird ending, think he's got a fractured eye socket.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Great fight.

Both fighters are legit.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Skyfire posted:

Weird ending, think he's got a fractured eye socket.

That was my first thought as well. Dubois reacted like his orbital bone had been broken. Wouldn't be surprised considering how damaged that left eye was.

All jokes aside Joe Joyce is legit. He reminds me a bit of 90s Foreman. Yeah he's slow, but he's massive, extremely powerful, and has very good boxing fundamentals. Let's see him against Oleksandr Usyk next.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Joyce keeps coming until you get knocked out or quit

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JimGrayOfficial/status/1332844834361511936

360-degree camera shots should be cool

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Enjoying this mini documentary on Buster - Tyson, always a story I'm up for revisiting.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Let's see him against Oleksandr Usyk next.

https://youtu.be/zuASpmqoJVM

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Mauro Ranallo calling the Tyson card tonight with Israel Adesanya and Sugar Ray Leonard

Preshow's on now

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 29, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MorrisBae posted:

Staples Center, but no crowd

Oh I see, like a Clippers game from the mid to late 90s. :v:

Edit: gently caress yeah Mauro getting some good boxing announcing done tonight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Their pitch to buy the PPV was "You never know, they might just break the rules!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Did Tyson bite the other dude yet?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Mike Tyson lost 100lbs for this bout? So he was 320lbs before? He did look that fat to me during public appearances.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grem posted:

Did Tyson bite the other dude yet?

no but wiz khalifa is smoking a weed

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mike Tyson lost 100lbs for this bout? So he was 320lbs before? He did look that fat to me during public appearances.

He said that in the context of the last 15 years.

Where is the dang boxing drat

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Wiz got flow still; I'm surprised this concert is still going, however...

Thought there'd be boxing 2

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MoaM posted:

Wiz got flow still; I'm surprised this concert is still going.

He's fine but let's get on lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Lol look at this saved by the bell dude

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Interesting commentary team, has Israel done commentary before?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

deadkiller615 posted:

Interesting commentary team, has Israel done commentary before?

Yes, I can't cite it but I believe he's commentated for MMA as well.

Dude loves combat sports and also money.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Who is this one guy on commentary? He is putting me to sleep here.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That would be Mauro Ranallo I assume.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Kaddish posted:

That would be Mauro Ranallo I assume.

No for the current match they have a single man on commentary who is speaking in a very monotone style for the most part. Different audio feeds I guess.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Ray is speaking pretty monotone, but he is speaking way less than the others so maybe you mean izzy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Le Saboteur posted:

No for the current match they have a single man on commentary who is speaking in a very monotone style for the most part.

That is Sugar Ray Leonard my man.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

No I was on some feed that was just one guy doing commentary alone but all the ring noise and what not was there. Not sure what the hell that was but I fixed it now.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Nice bout!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jesus Christ, the Ortiz knocked the other guy out via shoulder punch...

EDIT - LMFAO at Sagawa's fight face shot stand in is a 40x40 JPG blown up to HD.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok can someone that follows boxing elucidate me here. What the gently caress is a WBC Silver Lightweight?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Because that isn't a real thing I don't think?

-Edit- Ok I guess it's real, I looked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020
I love Tyson highlight reels