Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was watching some video the other day, and mentioned Zack Snyder's daughter, so I looked it up, and turns out (and maybe this is common knowledge) that his daughter committed suicide back in 2017 (sometime before Justice League came out).

Having read that, it makes me wonder if the reason his films are the way they are is a result of coping with his daughter's depression and death. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, or attempting armchair psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Still though, in its released form I still feel The Last Jedi is the third best Star War. Absolutely love it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Microcline posted:

He doesn't even say that The Dark Knight Returns is a bad comic, or that we shouldn't make comics like it, but that it works because it's an elseworlds and that there's something wrong if the dominant version of this colorful children's cartoon is a gritty story about celebrating sadistic violence. I personally think TDKR is a mediocre take on the hyper-violent superhero tho, even before getting into the implications of it being the dominant form. The two ways I see of doing it are to either to depict the uncomfortable consequences of violence (e.g. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen) or to lean into the goofy, unrealistic spectacle of it (e.g. Blade)

Right, he said TDKR is fine as an alternative take, but is perhaps problematic as a direct point of reference for the "official" adaption of the character. It's probably gotten to be a worse idea over time, honestly, as Frank Miller's follow ups and related works have become more openly and unapologetically fashy.

fun hater posted:

henry cavill is like the concept of watching paint dry anthropomorphized

He's pretty good in The Witcher, where you can tell he's having a lot of fun grunting angrily and saying "gently caress" in an exhausted tone.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Andrast posted:

Snyder should direct the next star wars movie

A dark and edgy adaptation of the Yuzzhan Vong arc?

Yeah, I'll pass. Thank you.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's pretty good in The Witcher, where you can tell he's having a lot of fun grunting angrily and saying "gently caress" in an exhausted tone.

He was good in The Man From UNCLE movie too. I don't remember much from that movie aside from Cavil and the amazingly stylish clothes everyone had.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Roth posted:

The real problem with Snyder discourse is how much of it is working backwards from an assumed conclusion.

He's an objectivist, so we must look for examples of such in his movies rather than actually engage with the movie and then draw a conclusion from it.

can you at least engage the posters you are burning here? you are a moderator

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Yeah I don't think and never said Synder was an objectivist I just think he's horrifically mediocre at doing one theme over and over that's been done better in multiple mediums over the last 40 years or so.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone def called him an randian a few pages back.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Microcline posted:

Have you ever met a non-Randian who thinks The Fountainhead is a good book?

And even without that we have 300, which is not specifically Randian but is incredibly unsubtle in its far-right messaging.

The question was "How is Snyders work Randian", not "what books does Zack like". By the way you obviously sidestepped the question, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you don't actually have a clue about what you're talking about. Steven Spielberg is a fan of the Fountanhead, I guess Indiana Jones, Jurassic park and Schindlers list are all objectivist works too, by your standard?

300, at face value is certainly a film with issues, but people usually forget that it's all a story being narrated by a an unreliable narrator. It's also a hoot that everyone seems to overlook his animated film, which is all about how war sucks and how fascism preys on the weak and is a corrosive and terrible ideology in their screed to paint him as some sort of fascist objectivist.

Andrast posted:

Snyder should direct the next star wars movie

I feel like it would be a perfect fit for him. Give him free reign to do a movie set in the old republic, toss him a 100 million and let him go nuts with lightsabers.

Jimbot posted:

There has to be one for The Last Jedi. That film is super frustrating to me. Going by his other films, Rian Johnson doesn't seem like a director who doesn't follow up on ideas but the way that film is put together just undercuts itself all the time. At least I hope there is. He really does have the benefit of the doubt because of who owns Star Wars.

There was absolutely some executive meddling based on focus groups, I feel that Boyegas opinion made that very clear. Interestingly he stood up for JJ, which is surprising considering....everything, but I'm guessing there was a lot of bullshit going on behind the scenes we've not been privy too. I'm willing to give JJ a pass if Boyega has his back. Can't wait for all the juicy details of this trainwreck to be made public

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Max Wilco posted:

I was watching some video the other day, and mentioned Zack Snyder's daughter, so I looked it up, and turns out (and maybe this is common knowledge) that his daughter committed suicide back in 2017 (sometime before Justice League came out).

Having read that, it makes me wonder if the reason his films are the way they are is a result of coping with his daughter's depression and death. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, or attempting armchair psychology.

Justice League director's cut will be the first film Snyder has released since that happened.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah perfectly understandably he dropped everything when that happened.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

When is his zombie film getting released? That's more exciting to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

McCloud posted:

I feel like it would be a perfect fit for him. Give him free reign to do a movie set in the old republic, toss him a 100 million and let him go nuts with lightsabers.

Also it would condense the snyder and star wars arguments into a single argument, which would be a massive boon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bob Igar needs to go away forever for Star Wars movies to get better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's the second season of the Mandalorian? I liked the first season well enough though I didn't think it was anything super amazing. Just a well-made neato thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hopefully his replacement can at least be more interesting, even if nothing will actually make Disney a better company besides breaking it up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Justice League began production in 2016 and was in the post-production process when Autumn Snyder died.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McCloud posted:

300, at face value is certainly a film with issues, but people usually forget that it's all a story being narrated by a an unreliable narrator. It's also a hoot that everyone seems to overlook his animated film, which is all about how war sucks and how fascism preys on the weak and is a corrosive and terrible ideology in their screed to paint him as some sort of fascist objectivist.
300 is also a fairly faithful (from my memory) adaptation of a comic book written by the author of robocop 3, a man who's brain was so scrambled by 9/11 he tried to get dc to allow him to release a comic book where batman does nothing but brutalise muslims.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

How's the second season of the Mandalorian? I liked the first season well enough though I didn't think it was anything super amazing. Just a well-made neato thing.

Still a well-made neato thing, imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

I mean, I dunno. I thought the first season was astounding and season 2 is even better. It’s a Star Wars show about Star Wars things. It’s a blast.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

300 is also a fairly faithful (from my memory) adaptation of a comic book written by the author of robocop 3, a man who's brain was so scrambled by 9/11 he tried to get dc to allow him to release a comic book where batman does nothing but brutalise muslims.

Ehhh, not really.

Never been a big Miller fan and he has worked hard to erode even that mild starting point, but the 300 movie, despite being a big hit, is not unlike watchmen; it can get many frames picture-perfect while utterly violating the theme and spirit.

The comic book verion has spartans being...well, spartan. Laconic, hermetic. The movie turned them into a-wooing frat bros screaming and boasting every line. It had to include a moonlit scene of Leonidas banging his wife for proper no-homo cred, while in the story she just dryly comments that he was more enthusiastic than usual last night when she sees that he's going off to die.

Even worse, he created a whole character and sideplot entirely; Theron, a spartan traitor, to further drive home that true, noble warriors only lose when betrayed from within by those sleazy politicians and fifth-columnists! I mean, that was already a theme with Ephialtes, but Snyder thinks so little of the audience that he had to double down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Archer666 posted:

He was good in The Man From UNCLE movie too. I don't remember much from that movie aside from Cavil and the amazingly stylish clothes everyone had.

It's an extremely fun film, Cavill is incredibly charismatic in it, Armie Hammer is good even if the take on Kuryakin is slightly weird, everyone else is great in it as well. Guy Ritchie can direct a fun action film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

That wasn't even remotely an attempt at a burn, and people on the same page were in fact saying he is an objectivist.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Seconding the fact that Man from UNCLE was a very fun film and I am sad it never got a sequal.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Twincityhacker posted:

Seconding the fact that Man from UNCLE was a very fun film and I am sad it never got a sequal.

Apparently everyone involved is up for another one if they can sort out scheduling. Which means it's dead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In light of everything Guy Ritchie has done since Man from UNCLE, he should definitely try making a sequel instead of making literally anything else.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Has snyder chat ever resulted in anything of value

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Depends if the Snydercut is any good. In some ways Snyder chat across Twitter resulted in that.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

no

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

McCloud posted:

The point of an unreliable narrator it to make the audience aware of the narrator and a fictional audience. In 300, the idea is that Dilios is telling the story to the Spartan Council one year after the battle has taken place. This can explain certain aspects, like why a tactical blunder and decisive defeat is presented as a brave sacrifice, why the Spartiates are considerably better fighters than they actually were, why the Spartiate army is considerably more uniform, and why the Persians are a monstrous horde, but it doesn't explain the massive changes that have been made to glorify the Spartiates to a modern audience with modern sensibilities. Dilios and the council are all Spartiates, all live in Sparta, and are proud of its cultural mores.

Contrast it to a movie like Starship Troopers, where the movie being tailored for a fictional audience highlights the dissonance between their values and ours.

I don't have any direct quotes from Snyder, but Miller has gone on record saying he believes a lot of Sparta-focused myths and tailored the work to a modern audience to further propagate it:

quote:

The Spartans were a paradoxical people. They were the biggest slave owners in Greece. But at the same time, Spartan women had an unusual level of rights. It’s a paradox that they were a bunch of people who in many ways were fascist, but they were the bulwark against the fall of democracy. The closest comparison you can draw in terms of our own military today is to think of the red-caped Spartans as being like our special-ops forces. They’re these almost superhuman characters with a tremendous warrior ethic, who were unquestionably the best fighters in Greece. I didn’t want to render Sparta in overly accurate terms, because ultimately I do want you to root for the Spartans. I couldn’t show them being quite as cruel as they were. I made them as cruel as I thought a modern audience could stand.
(For reference, basically everything there is untrue, apart from Sparta being the biggest slave owners in Greece, which is an extreme understatement. Having a majority of your population be slaves was fairly uncommon historically, and in Sparta a supermajority of the population were. And Spartan slavery was a brutal institution even by the standards of the time)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I appreciate some of the posts that happen during Snyderchat. This time around I liked the post about the non-objectivist reasons why someone might be drawn to The Fountainhead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Holy poo poo, is the Snyder argument still going?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sephyr posted:

Ehhh, not really.

Never been a big Miller fan and he has worked hard to erode even that mild starting point, but the 300 movie, despite being a big hit, is not unlike watchmen; it can get many frames picture-perfect while utterly violating the theme and spirit.

The comic book verion has spartans being...well, spartan. Laconic, hermetic. The movie turned them into a-wooing frat bros screaming and boasting every line. It had to include a moonlit scene of Leonidas banging his wife for proper no-homo cred, while in the story she just dryly comments that he was more enthusiastic than usual last night when she sees that he's going off to die.

Even worse, he created a whole character and sideplot entirely; Theron, a spartan traitor, to further drive home that true, noble warriors only lose when betrayed from within by those sleazy politicians and fifth-columnists! I mean, that was already a theme with Ephialtes, but Snyder thinks so little of the audience that he had to double down.

Again, this is a retelling of a story by the spartans "best storyteller", if the film is intent on making a point about propaganda being used to inspire warfare then it makes sense to include a variation of the dolchstoßlegende. It's also not a coincidence that Ephialtes is hideously deformed, it's just a historic version of "this guy sucks, look how ugly he is, inside and out" (the unmentioned truth being that if the spartans hadn't been dicks towards him the betrayal would never have happened).

We as the audience are not meant to relate to the spartans. Like, even in this idealized version of them as told by Dillios, they still toss babies off cliffs and send kids out to fight wolves, it's a barbaric society filled with hosed up traditions. I'm not sure if Miller intended for there to be a similar context to 300 (I've certainly read a few opinions that think so) but it is possible to recontextualize a film to say something different than the work it is based on, starship troopers being the most famous example.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

quote:

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign him in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder: He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder: You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Holy poo poo, is the Snyder argument still going?

Posts like this are way worse than any Snyder argument!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sincerely tho can the thread talk about something else for a bit please

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Microcline posted:

I don't have any direct quotes from Snyder, but Miller has gone on record saying he believes a lot of Sparta-focused myths and tailored the work to a modern audience to further propagate it:

As luck would have it, i do!

“It is not intended for you to believe that you are a Spartan in the movie,” he claims. “I think if you take the perspective of being a Spartan, then you are a very hard individual. But, on the other hand, that is sort of the gift of cinema, that maybe you get a perspective that you don’t normally take.”

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign him in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder: He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder: You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

"We’re primarily dealing with mythology rather than history here.
Snyder: Absolutely. I’d say “300” is a movie that is made from the Spartan perspective. Not just from the Spartan perspective, the cameras are the Spartans, but it’s the Spartans sensibility of the Battle of Thermopylae. If you had Spartans sitting around a fire and they were telling you before anything was written down what happened at Thermopylae, this is the way they would tell it. It’s not necessarily down to the fact that they don’t have armor on. Everything about it is just to make the Spartans more overwhelming"

"“300 is based on Herodotus,” Snyder retorts, referring to the ancient Greek who wrote The Histories, the founding work of western literature that details the Battle of Thermopylae. “However you feel about Herodotus, he wasn’t about to ruin a really great story with the truth, necessarily. He was a poet-warrior sort of historian in the classic sense.”"

"Snyder argues that many people look at the movie the wrong way. “I always have this argument: the Spartans are not necessarily the good guys. Let’s get real for a second about who the Spartans are. They look at their newborn children and, if they’re not up to snuff, they chuck them off a cliff. These are the people you’re supposed to go with on this journey?

“I wanted to really get that. I thought that was part of the fun, to say, ‘OK, these are people that basically send their children off into the woods when they’re seven years old, and if they live, they’re able to enter society. Those are your heroes?’ You can’t really frame that from our modern point of view. We’re not Spartans. All they do is train. That’s all they want to do.

“And so, the aesthetic of the Spartans is just outside of our own aesthetic. And I think that’s the difference. That’s why, to me, it was never us against them. It’s like a painting or drawing of a heroic battle. I never meant it to be some race war.”"

Bonus quote:

This is the gayest film ever made,” Zack Snyder tells Total Film. It’s May 2020 and we’re discussing 300, the alpha-male Spartan fantasy that redefined the historical epic, but not without attracting some controversy. The director’s comments may jar with some critics – there’s no homosexuality portrayed on screen and the Spartan king, Leonidas, played by Gerard Butler, even disparages the Athenians by calling them “boy lovers” – and yet Snyder vehemently disagrees with those who allege otherwise.
“It literally celebrates this masculine form in a way that is transformative for people,” Snyder continues. “I remember being asked, ‘Is your movie pro-gay or pro-NRA?’ I was like, ‘What? It’s both, I guess?’”

Edit: gently caress. Ok I'm shutting up now

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This might be straying a little from the thread's regular themes but how about everyone take an hour to learn about caterpillars? It's about biodiversity and parasites and poo poo, it's fascinating.

Edit: if you don't want to see insects being eaten from the inside out maybe skip it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPNMWZjJXak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Sincerely tho can the thread talk about something else for a bit please

Yeah, like Star Wars or Contrapoints!