Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is Rust or Compound Bow better for physical main DPS Fischl?

I’m AR 43 and I pulled Rust last night! I instantly leveled it to 50 but I ran out of stones and need to wait for Monday to farm. That gave me time to think about it it was actually worth the resources.

I use glad/bloodstained chivalry (in theory anyways; 700ish resin I have no useable bloodstain pieces) and I’m c2.

Any thoughts? Rust hits harder but compound turns Fischl into a machine gunner. Both are r1 but there’s chances every week for compound to refine up.
It's somewhat close but assuming you have a 50% phys goblet equipped and 100% atk from other sources Rust ends up ahead by about 7% or so purely on autos (the deciding factor is Rust's 449 base ATK at level 80 vs compound bow's 401).

When you consider that Oz also benefits from Rust's ATK and higher base ATK I think it's the more clear choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is 4 piece Noblesse Oblige the best set for Support Bennet? Does Maiden Beloved do anything for him?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
His healing is so nuts he doesn't need Maiden at all . Noblesse is a great choice.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
The hilichurl thing, i mean we all know it's some bullshit and we are doing the dirty on them, but lately i got the feeling that Paimon is actively lying about what the random events actually are. There's one that just straight up looks like a hilichurl wedding and then you drop in and kill everybody and Paimon's like "oh yes this is clearly some dark ritual"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I definitely agree that Paimon's got it out for them in a way that might actually be meaningful. It was even her idea to go ruin their dinner to do the jade sliver testing.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Someone caught a clip of the visual glitch that happens with the 9 pillar quest.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/k2mvm7/is_this_supposed_to_happen_during_the_nine/

Video game cryptids in action.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please don't say mean thing about my good friend paimon

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Paimon is secretly the Archon of Food

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Qwertycoatl posted:

Paimon is secretly the Archon of Food

I mean it's good odds that Paimon is a lost Archon/forgot she was one/something happened, i mean she's called Paimon which is a key of solomon demon like Barbatos, Morax, Baal, and Paimon is the 8th king of hell and wow how many other archons are there again

e: also finding myself thinking about the latest "everything is probably fake" revelation and daemons as a software concept

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Scaramouche didn't say everything is fake, though. He said the sky and the stars were fake. I think that's an important distinction, and makes me more inclined to think something like Teyvat is a colony ship (the Ark), than the "it's all a simulation" thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

My Gimmick Name posted:

Someone caught a clip of the visual glitch that happens with the 9 pillar quest.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/k2mvm7/is_this_supposed_to_happen_during_the_nine/

Video game cryptids in action.

I know it's probably just a post-process volume being a bit sideways, but I genuinely love game glitch aesthetic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ashenai posted:

Scaramouche didn't say everything is fake, though. He said the sky and the stars were fake. I think that's an important distinction, and makes me more inclined to think something like Teyvat is a colony ship (the Ark), than the "it's all a simulation" thing.

This does bring up a good point. If this is some sort of AU version of the Ark from the fall of Earth that we're currently on (and the massive number of hints to that aren't a huge trick to throw people off) then the two entities* that were launched from Earth and built it have been MIA from Earth's sensors for at least around 50,000 years. If not far longer then that if you factor in other possibilities like how long ago Kevin, Fu Hua, and the maybe half dozen or so Old Earth survivors on the repopulated (and heavily under siege again) Earth declared it MIA and wrote that project off.

And that's before you factor in the possibility that Ark had...something awful happen to it. Since near as anyone on Earth could tell the very moment it reached the range of being considered outside of the solar system it literally just disappeared from reality. Maybe it got cube'd by Kiana like the PC travelers did?

I feel like 50,000 years is enough time to create a layered world or one with a freaky deaky magical artificial sky. The Ark was heavily implied (but never confirmed) to be rocking some straight up ex nihilo-esque "create species from scratch like it's God" sort of abilities what with it being equipped with a bunch of God Keys/reprocessed Herrsher organs (Earth's pre-first-extinction humans got desperate towards the end and were just straight up ripping infected people apart to make weapons and tools.) that could manipulate reality like Herrsher's, Honkai mutated humans, and the MANTIS super soldiers could.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

The hilichurl thing, i mean we all know it's some bullshit and we are doing the dirty on them, but lately i got the feeling that Paimon is actively lying about what the random events actually are. There's one that just straight up looks like a hilichurl wedding and then you drop in and kill everybody and Paimon's like "oh yes this is clearly some dark ritual"

Paimon: Where the Fairy Flies. :v:

But yeah, Paimon is super sus in how she keeps manipulating the characters. Early on she's a total ditz. But every time it seems like the PC is going to hare off on their own or lose track of the plot suddenly she just straight up drops intense amounts of information, some of which literally some of the Archons would at least have a hard time knowing. In the last event she even ends up being the voice of reason compared to Fischl's chuuni personality and Mona bickering.

This gets even more obvious if you deliberately pick the wrong conversational decisions throughout the entirety of the game. Or just pick them with an intent of provoking Paimon to give input. Sometimes she masks what she wants you to do behind a veil of stupidity, but other times she'll just bust out some insights that someone like her should not know.

There's also the tricky issue of her literally replacing the current main series antagonist as the mascot for the game (It's a tradition that Kiana/the antagonist is the mascot for the Impact games.) while literally rocking a chibi/E.L.F.ified look that matches Kiana in various incarnations.

There's also the fact that she is implied to have been fished up out of the region in Monstadt that lets you access the Temple of Time. And as some redditers have pointed out, flying over there or trying to fly back to the mainland and loving it up will lead to exactly the circumstances that the Traveler is implied to have rescued her in. IE: You fall in the water and start drowning.

Also, there's definitely something up with the technology of the setting. Unless it was a translation error the Archons and certain privileged humans are utilizing knowledge of things that were only discovered in the 1960's and onwards. Modern psychology, professional assessment of flora, and straight up understanding what things like infections and sepsis from wounds are all casually name dropped in their scientific forms like it's no big deal.

Notably this makes sense if this is secretly a Honkai Impact sequel/prequel/altquel/whatever. Honkai manifestations are specifically and explicitly noted to get stronger as humanity advances in technology and actualized potential. Meaning you only get to use things like nuke on an outbreak once before they start retaliating with poo poo that makes that nuke seem downright pithy in stopping them. In Honkai Impact 3 and it's prequel this leads to the writers demonstrating the decades old Lensman Arms Race trope to horrifying effect. At least several timelines just straight up loving lose, and it's not until HI3's heroic version of Kiana comes along that things even have a chance at getting better without massive planet wide casualties.

If this is basically a more passive attempt at containing the Houkai/Honkai/Nature of Reality/whatever along with a post-apocalyptic version of Kiana/it's Sustainer of Heavenly Principles so that they don't blow up the planet/Ark/whatever up then that would be a very interesting plot. Or maybe it's just one of the Herrsher versions of Kiana indulging in a bit of periodic sadism by trapping humanity under her thumb before wrecking things up to justify her nihilism.

It's even possible this is a secret prequel to the HI series and Genshin is how the whole mess gets started. I recall someone pointing out that Genshin was originally supposed to mean original after all. Which would make this game's title "The Original Impact" to Honkai Impact 3's third impact. Who even knows at this point. :shrug:

*: Which again, might be separate from the PC's. Who are heavily suggested to if not be a version of the Ark project then are directly related to it in some way. There's possibly some alternate universe stuff colliding with time travel here too given the weird alt-universe looking Fire Moth style wings the Travelers wear in the intro. And that's not including everything to do with Khaen'riah, the freaky field of possibly Honkai related flowers that may or may not be part of Celestia or Khaen'riah, the hidden temple of time in the game world, and the missing Archon of Time. But who knows so far. Certainly, there's been some AU versions of established characters present already though.

At the very least it seems like the PC is keeping secrets too. Since "Hey, I came from a wrecked planet/AU fantasy kingdom/whatever and am looking to save my people. Also, what happened to our world could literally happen here, if it hasn't already started." seems like extremely relevant information to drop on the local authorities to inspire them to get their asses in gear in finding his/her sibling.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 28, 2020

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ashenai posted:

yeah, i don't buy the simulation theory either. you can have a ship/planet/colony thing still controlled by all powerful, not so benign, "celestial" beings we eventually have to topple and it would fit just fine in the story. i mean, the final chapter of the storyline preview straight up calls out "we will defy this world with a power from beyond!"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ashenai posted:

Warning, dumbass theorycrafting ahead.

Yeah, I think that's an important distinction. Combined with the facts that everyone who gets a Vision gets it by acknowledgement from the Archons, and everyone with a Vision has a constellation, the sky alone being an artificial construct might hold some water. There's just too much coincidence otherwise; and I suspect the sky is a fabrication of Celestia in that case. If we're working under the assumption that Visions channel Honkai energy in a "safer" form towards only those who can handle it (for as long as their human lifespans allow them to live, anyway), then Delusions are an "unsafe" way of using it, and Archons/Gnosis are on another level entirely. There are multiple gods running around (Andrius, Osial, Decarabian, Guizhong etc) but there have only even been seven Archons at a time as far as we know, even though the title changes hands; seven Gnosis. Could the Archon war have been sparked by the creation of the seven Gnosis? Are Gnosis just processed Herrscher cores that let the user tap into the power without hearing the voice in their head?

It could be that Celestia and the fake sky seal Teyvat off from the influence of Honkai energy almost entirely, and Constellations are limited inflows of energy to allow Vision users to use their powers and burn off the energy in a "safe" way. Perhaps the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles takes offense to the Travelers because they're not of this world and can use powers without a Vision, and that could upset that delicate balance stopping the world erupting into Honkai monsters and Herrschers, so she strips them of their powers. If they're Ark themselves, it could be the presence of their Herrscher cores that sets her off. More than seven = against heavenly principles. There can only be seven. I suspect the opening cutscene takes place either in Celestia or above the fake sky (the island of Celestia is only a gateway to above the fake sky?). The Traveler remarks that Teyvat's day and night are very fast to him, but the title screen changes based on real world time, I think?

This is why Archon Residue is so dangerous to normal people; it's basically just Honkai energy goo, and giving it to people who can't handle it makes them nuts and/or kills them (Crepus, that one girl from the manga, Cicin mages) and giving it to Vision wielders less so because they already have resistance (Diluc, Fatui Harbingers).

Though all of the Harbingers we've met so far have definitely been... less than stable, so it doesn't have no effect. Childe gets pretty furious in his Foul Legacy mode.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 28, 2020

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

To be fair, if this is some sort of AU version of the Ark from the fall of Earth that we're currently on (and the massive number of hints to that aren't a huge trick to throw people off) then the two entities* that were launched from Earth and built it have been MIA from Earth's sensors for at least around 50,000 years. If not far longer then that if you factor in other possibilities like how long ago Kevin, Fu Hua, and the maybe half dozen or so Old Earth survivors on the repopulated (and heavily under siege again) Earth declared it MIA and wrote that project off.

And that's before you factor in the possibility that Ark had...something awful happen to it. Since near as anyone on Earth could tell the very moment it reached the range of being considered outside of the solar system it literally just disappeared from reality. Maybe it got cube'd by Kiana like the PC travelers did?

It could also be that both Teyvat and the Earth that the Ark was launched from are pocket worlds. If the "sky and stars" are fake, perhaps the reason the Ark fell off sensors when it reached the edge of the solar system is because that's where the outer boundary of the dimension is?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I looked at reddit for this game today and I'd just like to thank you all for not being anything like the genshin subreddit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Corla Plankun posted:

I looked at reddit for this game today and I'd just like to thank you all for not being anything like the genshin subreddit.

some of the memes are funny at least

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah, reddit subs for games tend to be...not great. I much prefer goon threads

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

S.J. posted:

some of the memes are funny at least

the first time.

less so the ensuring 40 times they're reposted.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Avynte posted:

yeah, i don't buy the simulation theory either. you can have a ship/planet/colony thing still controlled by all powerful, not so benign, "celestial" beings we eventually have to topple and it would fit just fine in the story. i mean, the final chapter of the storyline preview straight up calls out "we will defy this world with a power from beyond!"

While it's possible that it's just a simulation (or Kiana using her weird time-space abilities to trap the two protagonists in some sort of pseudo-gnostic trap. Someone on reddit pointed out that she technically could do that. The whys of it are a good question however.) it seems like it's the reveal/explanation is at least going to be way more complicated than just "lol it's the Matrix".

At the very least that one trailer suggested that there's more to the story than it being a simulation. The trailer in question a showed past version of events that had an increasingly distressed female Sibling during a male PC run towards what was very obviously Monstadt or a similar location that was cube'd to poo poo by Kiana. And given the color of the sky (that had the same color theme as Earth had in the apocalyptic bad ending of Guns Girls Z.), the "welkin moon" that gives us Primogems hanging in the air like something out of Majora's mask, the fact that the version of Kiana from the intro clearly destroyed the place, and the fact that there didn't seem to a specific end to the damage there seems to be more going on then just it being a simulation.

I do wonder how the last chapter of this arc is going to end though. If it follows the theme of going to the kingdoms then that's either a possibly :honk:ified Khaen'riah, a time displaced Khaen'riah (Where at the very least a :honk:ified Dainsleif/older male Traveler is at. Since there's no way that "power" he yells about isn't some sort of AU Honkai infection. He's even got the infected arms Kiana was rocking in HI3 going there. The only difference is that the infection is blue this time, like that hosed up tree with the possibly Honkai affected apocalypse worshipping child near it.) or maybe even Celestia in that trailer. Which would fit with closing out the opening arc of the story and leading into a larger plot that goes beyond "Find my sibling and/or get off this benighted anime world before it gets cubed like in that trailer.".

It'd also be a twist if that flower field in the trailer was part of what was left of them. Since there's been at least a few hints dropped that certain types of flowers are not a good thing in this setting. The flowers the Cicin's want to consume/obtain have a real world analogue that is extremely poisonous. And the Cicins appear to be are rocking that zombified look infected humans in HI3 have. Ditto for the sadism, which they have in spades.

They even match the behaviors of Honkai zombified humans that are looking to feed the development of a Herrsher. Since it's mentioned somewhere in HI3's extraneous materials that part of the process has other Honkai corrupted beings try to gather more of the radioactive materials/energy to boost the outcome of the infection process when a resistant person starts to succumb.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bloody Emissary posted:

It could also be that both Teyvat and the Earth that the Ark was launched from are pocket worlds. If the "sky and stars" are fake, perhaps the reason the Ark fell off sensors when it reached the edge of the solar system is because that's where the outer boundary of the dimension is?

So basically the concept of the Sea of Quanta in HI3 taken to it's logical extreme? Genshin is confirmed to be a full fledged alternate universe however. Otto in the HI3 universe peeks on it using the Sea of Quanta or something. I forget how he does it.

That does bring up an interesting question though. Some people have wondered why there's two colors of the Ark's signature light patterns in game. The golden version representing the travelers as they head towards towards wherever they were headed prior to getting jumped by Sustainer-Kiana could be an AU version of the Ark (Or some other weird plot development.) shown in the Gnostic Hymn cinematic. While the blue version that shows up in the gacha animation could be the local "established" Ark that you get stranded in. This could fit that theory, since both are on more or less the same branch of the Imaginary Tree (Basically, many worlds theory as a tree analogy.). It could also explain the boring third world, assuming there isn't something else going on with Vera's Melancholy.

Could fit in a hilarious sort of way. Since Vera's Melancholy points out that she believes in a version of reality across a "sea of stars" where gods grant the wishes of people to give them their desires. That world is definitely Genshin's from what we know of how visions work. And the fact that she described HI3's world right after that perfectly suggests there's a third world that isn't as lovely as the other two.

Ironically, this plays directly into the gacha mechanics. We literally use wishes to get gacha characters and items. And the primogems that give them are most easily obtained by the "Blessing of the Welkin Moon". And there's a big rear end loving moon hanging in a blood red sky over the destroyed version of Monstadt/Khaen'riah/possibly the planet in that one trailer that confirms that the Travelers are either immortal, are long lived, or have access to time travel since the trailer suggests that the unplayed sibling got dumped on Teyvat some centuries prior to the playable one. Said gacha is fueled by the wishes. Which are fueled by the primogems. Which are provided by the moon. But what are primogems supposed to be, exactly?...

What does all this mean though? Who the gently caress knows. :v:

Edit: Primogem's description is neat in an implied cosmic horror sort of way. Also neat is how all that ties into the gacha animation and the description of the blessing of the welkin moon.

quote:

A primordial crystalline gem that's beyond the mundane world. Shines with the condensed hopes and dreams of universes that once were.

Why the gently caress are dead alternate universes brought up and used as a currency? How does a moon (which is obviously in the sky, which according to Scaramouche is a lie) get a hold of them? And what killed or ended entire alternate universes so that they ended up becoming primogems?

quote:

A ritual prayer, recited on the rising of the first new moon, to ask for the moon's blessing in the form of wealth and good fortune. For your purposes, the new moon you shall pray to is the first-ever new moon in Teyvat, since it's the first one you've seen here.
Use this item to receive 30 days of Blessing of the Welkin Moon rewards.

Edit: Meant to hit edit, but hit post and didn't even think about why there was no text to edit. Damnit. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 29, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Archonex posted:

Ironically, this plays directly into the Gacha mechanics. We literally use wishes to get gacha characters and items. :v:

Huh. When you gain access to Wishes at AR5, there's a little blurb:

The sky and the stars again. So what exactly is up there? Whatever it is, it grants wishes, it makes astrology work absurdly well (if we take what Mona said at face value, there's no theoretical limit to what you can learn from astrology, if you're skilled enough it can effectively make you omniscient). And there are constellations that link to individuals, and they can apparently fall to the earth.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ashenai posted:

The sky and the stars again. So what exactly is up there? Whatever it is, it grants wishes, it makes astrology work absurdly well (if we take what Mona said at face value, there's no theoretical limit to what you can learn from astrology, if you're skilled enough it can effectively make you omniscient). And there are constellations that link to individuals, and they can apparently fall to the earth.

Ironically, the constellation we know of that fell to earth only fell after the guy bearing it died (Which makes me wonder if they're linked to primogems in some way.) and somehow would not let go of his desire to ascend the mountain.

That mountain that has an entrance to the Abyss. Which, if there's something else going on other than "it's a space ship/simulation/whatever" could put a far more sinister bent on the mantra that Katheryne says depending on what's down there.

Edit: Given the primogem description I have to wonder if the sibling that saw Teyvat get destroyed wasn't in an alternate universe at the time. Or given that Dainsleif is rocking a honkai infection while looking like an older male traveler maybe she is an alternate universe version of the sibling we're looking for.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 29, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Non-lore post, on the topic of saving prototypes someone mentioned a day or so ago, rumor I just saw was new weapons coming with 1.2. Including a physical DMG% claymore and an ATK% catalyst.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When’s 1.2 arriving? Man, I already had my weapon picked out for the BP.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

iirc they are planning on ~3 months between big patches so, early february maybe?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

UltraRed posted:

Are there new BP weapons coming?

Also, I just reread that Paimon description and holy poo poo she is such a liar. A lot of that does or could apply (Reanimating the dead for several years and summoning and dismissing servants has disturbing implications for all the characters and their potential past if they want to go grimdark later on. :unsmigghh:) but the big one is remaining underwater indefinitely. If that isn't a sign that she's a liar then I don't know what is. She claims we literally saved her from drowning to death.

The only way I can see her not betraying the playable character in the future if he or she fits as Lucifer into the naming schema the game is using. Which could be possible, since it would make Kiana either god or the lieutenant (Sustainer of Heavenly Principles. Which is basically a fancy way of saying the Honkai Entity assuming it's a 1:1 thing in terms of who is representing what in Genshin compared to Honkai Impact.) of god within the naming framework they've set up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 29, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

1.2 is December 23. 1.3 is February or something. If we get new prototypes with 1.2 they'll come out after the current BP ends.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

a physical DMG% claymore

*stares in Razor with R2 Aminus*

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I was saving my primo to roll for zhongli, but I needed 2 more star glitter to get bennet from the shop, so I pulled once....and blew my guaranteed banner 5* and got childe :( and I STILL dont have enough glitter for bennet!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Space Opera posted:

I was saving my primo to roll for zhongli, but I needed 2 more star glitter to get bennet from the shop, so I pulled once....and blew my guaranteed banner 5* and got childe :( and I STILL dont have enough glitter for bennet!

These are the stories I need to stay strong. Until I pull a Mona dupe when rolling for Zhong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

UltraRed posted:

They posted a roadmap ages ago. 1.2 is December 23rd

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/15/21516533/genshin-impact-patch-content-roadmap-plans-schedule-details-new-area-dragonspine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paimon can't betray the mc because then all future the paimonless cutscenes would suck

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Tsyni posted:

These are the stories I need to stay strong. Until I pull a Mona dupe when rolling for Zhong.

My only other 5* is a C1 qiqi, so at least now I have a good pick for a main dps. Still, I have no good bows for him, so hes going to be on the back burner for a good while. Hopefully these rumored new prototype weapons will have something good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If Paimon betrays the MC, how can we enjoy more endless Emergency Rations jokes?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Andrast posted:

Paimon can't betray the mc because then all future the paimonless cutscenes would suck

after Paimon betrays you all instances of Paimon are replaced with a holographic projection of Paimon

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

evil paimon torturing you by having a hologram follow you while you continue your quest would be extremely on-brand

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Man, Overload is such a frustrating reaction. When it's good it's great, but my team nearly wiped against a meteor full of pyro slimes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ashenai posted:

To expand on this a bit more:

As for the sky? Assuming Scaramouche isn't being duped* in a way it depends on whether the setting is secretly a sci-fi setting or whether it's directly a high magic fantasy setting. Along with just what happened to Khaen'riah to deprive it of it's Archon (Who is implied to be of time. Something that Paimon has links too. Though there's a possibility that's a red herring.) and set it outside the sight of the gods. What matters also is if Genshin is a sequel to Honkai, a prequel, or just directly an alternate universe.

What also may help determine what's up there is figuring out whether the gods of Celestia are as morally good as the vison-less people down below seem to believe. Their actions below come off as bumbling and kind of unhelpful so far. But if they're actively trying to impede progress that'd make all of the Archons technically antagonists in disguise acting out of a benevolent desire to protect humanity.

That would probably mean they're less bumbling and more "actively obstructing civilization from progressing". Which might explain some of the weirder elements of the Archon War we know of. It'd also make the Tsaritsa a mis-intentioned heroine of sorts. Since she's trying to take away their (Possibly extremely corruptive, meaning she's hosed.) power to preserve her own people through whatever is coming. Probably a good dose of high powered cubing by Kiana, assuming she isn't Kiana. Russia is where the plot of the Honkai series goes from more light hearted to grimdark as poo poo, after all. If the Tsaritsa turns out to be or is related in some way to a Kiana or Sirin expy then we've basically got confirmation about a bunch of things, along with where the plot is going. Though all of that is just random speculation.

Genshin does seem to be loosely following various elements of Honkai Impact 3, albeit out of order however. Stuff like the "demon" sleeping in China is repeated in Li Yue and without it potentially waking up. Which is probably a good thing since we've yet to see a confirmed MANTIS super soldier group to sacrifice themselves to put it back down. Likewise, Wendy is Venti, we know there is a version of the Fire Archon with possibly some relation to some version of Himeko, and Kiana is literally just waiting in the intro to sucker punch us down to Teyvat so that she can end humanity (assuming this Kiana has the motivations of the other's after they've gone full Herrsher.) among a host of other people and literal plot developments that have occurred.

So what's up there? This is my theory, and it's a working one i'm modifying as we get more story bits available and discovered from the more hidden things:

Since it's clearly advanced it seems like the plot elements of Honkai Impact 3 are at least loosely related to Genshin i'm thinking that Celestia/the moon/something else up there may have a connection to or even maybe a travelable route to the greater Tree of Life. From which can be reached alternate and dead universes. Which would explain where the gently caress the moon is getting Primogems, which are somehow related to universes that have since ended. Which would be a great way to end the arc on Teyvat and explore a greater multiverse of worlds while going into the larger metaplot of the game. There's way too many hints that there's something going on outside of simple time travel.

This would also completely confirm that Genshin is related to Honkai Impact, and tie into MiHoYo confirming that it's so extremely close to the Honkai Impact 3 world that it's events can literally be viewed by Otto in HI3. This would also essentially mean that Celestia, possibly the Abyss*, or Khaen'riah or some other area we don't know might be the "Old Earth" era equivalent humans of Teyvat/Ark. Which would handily explain how the gently caress the sky is a lie, why the moon can crap out dead alternate universes, and why Khaen'riah has possible Honkai troubles. It's literally the place that not only fought them first, but was way more advanced than the current setting. Which is exactly in theme with the plot of HI3's story.

*Leonard was clearly giving people different visions depending on who they were or what they asked. There's a lot of hints suggesting that he was trying to say something beyond the mountain he wanted to climb being unclimbable. Meaning that Paimon and Mona were tragically wrong. His dream most likely still has not been achieved. Not in it's truest sense, at least. There's a reddit thread going on about that that points out that it fits with a lot of the more tragic and hosed up quests, if someone wants to dig it up.

**The Abyss is weird. The adventurer's guild motto is to the stars "To the Stars and the Abyss" which has all sorts of potential implications. At first it seemed like a reference to the Ark, given Teyvat's name. And it might still be! But it could also potentially have a far darker implication behind it. Y'see, on top of what we know about all the hidden worlds, there's a third one hidden in fairy tales, popular stories, and a certain chuuni nerd's obsession. And Tartaglia has a big role in suggesting that it may in fact be real and a very scary and altogether hosed up place. Some of the data/myths about it:

It's populated by monsters and ruled by a dark goddess who reveled in cruelty and sadism. The only safe place was a moon lit forest in which humanity or a similar species dwelled. Or something like that. I'd have to go look that reference up again. Either way, this is literally Earth before it got turned into a hellscape by Kiana in Guns Girl Z. Only, unlike in the prehistory of HI3 the humans in that timeline humanity failed to stop her by squirreling away enough methods underground and in space to reboot the species a vast amount of time later.

It sounds a lot like the place related to Fischl's Princess obsession. Notably, the actual book talks about their being thousands of lesser princesses if you can find the hidden extra chapter. She also murders the Creator (Which Dainsleif gives a rather eerie reference too. The Keeper is fading and the creator has yet to come? Maybe someone could dig up the text?
I think it was translated.) god of her universe and sets off to become what she truly was at the end of that series. She is compared to a halberd. And apparently thousands of these daughter-halberd-weapons have been forged over time.

Of course this could mean that Fischl technically willed herself into becoming one of those flawed princesses or there's something else going on here. Notably, the female traveler in the cinematic for the Gnostic Hymn is literally described as falling into corruption to rule such a place. So maybe it's the Traveler or their sibling? Either way, if this is correct and related to the myth above then it's distinctly not a paradise that Fischl's role model created. It's more like the Teyvat equivalent of Hell.

The most alarming element in terms of confirming there's something else going on is what Tartaglia has to say about it. He was apparently nearly killed and whisked away to a dark world. In it he met the woman who would become his master. Though it was only for three or so days he would train in this place for three months by his perspective before leaving. Afterwards, the bloodthirsty Tartaglia we know came to be. He still implies that the woman could easily hand him his rear end. Since last time he was there she didn't even have to use both hands to beat him senseless.

The thing that gives this theory a lot of weight is Tartaglia. Without him and a few other characters mentioning this dark other world off hand it's all conjecture due to stitching things together by association. However, Tartaglia is where the game stops loving around and all but says it. This place is real, it's dangerous, and it's entirely reachable from Teyvat due to elements deeply associated with the nastiest of the Herrsher's. Kiana herself, who brought an end to life on Earth and the disappeared to somewhere in the intervening millennia it took to claw it's way back to life via the technology of that time period.

How does it do that? Tartaglia's real name is also literally named after a mythical hero from Earth. And it's known that it's an old hero's tale. Anyone familiar with mythology should understand why that's a tremendous wham line. But then over the course of several stories it gets even crazier:

quote:

Ice-fishing has been one of Tartaglia's hobbies since childhood.

In those days, he was known neither by the names Tartaglia nor "Childe," as the Fatui call him, but as Ajax, named by his father after some hero's tale. He and his father would cut holes open upon frozen lakes, before sitting and tend to their fishing lines.

quote:

Unlike what the rest of the world may think, Tartaglia was not born with his exceptional skills in battle. But he would never speak to everyone about that critical fateful encounter of his...

When he was 14, he fled his monotonous life at home with nothing but a short sword a bag of bread in hand. That 14-year-old boy got lost in the snowy forest.

Pursued by bears and wolf packs, he lost his footing and fell into a bottomless crack in the earth's surface. There, he witnessed the endless possibilities of another ancient world. There, he would meet a mysterious swordswoman... Or perhaps one should say that this dark realm had sensed the burning ambition in this boy's heart.

This darkness was something that the Harbinger Childe could never again delve into. In those three months, the swordswoman taught Tartaglia how to pass through the Abyss unhindered, and more importantly, nurtured the ability to stir up endless havoc from within Ajax's trouble-mongering nature.

No one knew what happened within that darkness during those three months, nor would Ajax ever speak of this to anyone. When his worried mother and sisters finally found him in that forest, only 3 days had passed in this world.

Thus did Ajax's first adventure end, with his now-rusty short sword in hand.

This would mark the end of his youth and the beginning of his days as a warrior.

quote:

Unlike what the rest of the world may think, Tartaglia was not born with his exceptional skills in battle. But he would never speak to everyone about that critical fateful encounter of his...

When he was 14, he fled his monotonous life at home with nothing but a short sword a bag of bread in hand. That 14-year-old boy got lost in the snowy forest.

Pursued by bears and wolf packs, he lost his footing and fell into a bottomless crack in the earth's surface. There, he witnessed the endless possibilities of another ancient world. There, he would meet a mysterious swordswoman... Or perhaps one should say that this dark realm had sensed the burning ambition in this boy's heart.

This darkness was something that the Harbinger Childe could never again delve into. In those three months, the swordswoman taught Tartaglia how to pass through the Abyss unhindered, and more importantly, nurtured the ability to stir up endless havoc from within Ajax's trouble-mongering nature.

No one knew what happened within that darkness during those three months, nor would Ajax ever speak of this to anyone. When his worried mother and sisters finally found him in that forest, only 3 days had passed in this world.

Thus did Ajax's first adventure end, with his now-rusty short sword in hand.

This would mark the end of his youth and the beginning of his days as a warrior.

I wonder if the Abyss is that ur-world (or dark world). And if it's maybe what's left of this (or another connected) timeline's version of Earth after Kiana "stops the arrogation of mankind" on Earth by turning it into a perpetually burning non-Euclidean hell on Earth? The island it's on is reached through a space time after all. Which is literally something Kiana can easily create. Hell, she just straight up spawns a black hole in HI3 at one point (Not that it stopped Himeko, but yeah.) so making an error in reality that teleports you around is nothing special.

I posted a picture of what the Gun Girls Z (and maybe HI3's timeline's earth) looked like at the end of the prehistory human's fight to survive in the old thread and it literally looked like someone had carved a sigil onto the planet after Hell from Doom Eternal invaded it. It'd certainly fit the description of the place some of the less fairy tale-ish stories describe. Kiana would probably be a good fit for the daughter of the shattered halberd too. Since It's revealed that she did something in the HI3 timeline to make the Honkai go away. in the far future of it.

quote:

—Nothingness—
Mir once again chanted the forgotten spell. The maiden was reunited with him again. "So, this is what you truly look like."
"The world is beyond repair. It shall be born anew from the ashes of the last." The mad Celestial Emperor sentenced all living things of the world to a hard punishment.
"But you, you would understand me, wouldn't you?" The nameless thief who stole the national treasure said this to his lord.
"No. No apologies necessary, for you are benevolent."

"Oh my daughter, the one in whom all my hopes are placed! Did I not bring you into existence that you might one day pierce me with a halberd?" Awakened at last, the God King floated in the heavens to the claps of thunder and the dancing of the wind, rejoicing at his return.

But she was no longer afraid. This was the moment she had been waiting for her entire life, the moment she had been made for all those eons ago.
No — that was not it. The true source of her courage was the time she had spent with him.

The first Divine Halberd, Irmin, once pierced the Axis Mundi and connected the nine worlds. Now, its replicas had proliferated across the heavens.

Fearing the madness that would ensue following his death, the God King made one final Divine Halberd, and named it the Prinzessin der Verurteilung. In this moment, it — nay, she — could finally unleash her true self.

That Earth was filled to the brim with monsters, any remaining humans on the surface (HI3 veers away from the super grimdark ending by saying that humanity was advanced enough to ensure that the species would get rebooted after Kiana and the Honkai infected zombies and monsters died.) were zombified husks of their former selves, and Kiana did something to just rend reality apart afterwards. The latter of which is only averted by the implication that some part of who she was (or someone else) was there to ensure that the world might be recreated later. HI3 veers away from this grimdark ending by saying that enough humans and resources were squirelled away underground to reboot the species tens or possibly hundreds of thousands of years later. Which is where the real world history (Albeit, in this case with the same Honkai manifestations loving things up.) takes place.

Notably, Tartaglia has a delusion. Which as established is basically Honkai infection if it was only slightly contained. I wonder if that's linked? Or if it's all just speculation?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Thank y'all for endorsing Sucrose, too. The concept of a "support" in this game hadn't really clicked for me until recently but opening with Sucrose to group up mobs, and then switching to Chongyun with the Thrilling Tales buff to lay a fat Prototype Aminus AoE Crush on everyone has been so satisfying. I haven't really decided who my 4th party member should be but Sucrose + Barbara + Chongyun is a really fun and sustainable combo for doing overworld stuff.