Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're not crazy, but goons gonna goon

Spoon! SPOON!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Maha posted:

The correct way to parse "waste not, want not" is "those who don't waste things will never want for anything", as in "find themselves in need".

Now I'm struggling to parse this

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now I'm struggling to parse this

I believe they were reading it as two imperatives: "do not waste anything, and also do not want anything".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Spoon! SPOON!!!

Well there's your problem: reading the instructions. What do you think this is, the USSR?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*fires can end directly into face* Take that, liberals! USA! :911:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It means that you shouldn't use your stuff up frivolously so you have enough for future use. It wasn't a complicated idiom.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Maha posted:

The correct way to parse "waste not, want not" is "those who don't waste things will never want for anything", as in "find themselves in need".
Funny, I was thinking about this phrase very recently, too, and came to the same conclusion you did. :hfive:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I bang it repeatedly on the counter and twist it like I'm trying to give it a friction burn. But I'm not sure what that has to do with dough cans.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
FWIW I remember the biscuit cans from long ago opening a lot more energetically just from peeling the label, now I usually have to twist them open. Maybe too many were popping open during shipping or something.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I believe they were reading it as two imperatives: "do not waste anything, and also do not want anything".

(Butterfly man): "is this Buddhism?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought it was a Wayne's World thing:
Waste. Not!
Want. Not!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasten't, wan't.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Dip Viscous posted:

FWIW I remember the biscuit cans from long ago opening a lot more energetically just from peeling the label, now I usually have to twist them open. Maybe too many were popping open during shipping or something.

They got tired of people in hot cars thinking they got shot in the brain. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-biscuit-bullet/

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dip Viscous posted:

I took the wrapper off some biscuits that i use for a tart and the whole thing popped without being touched. I think it just depends.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I find that they pop open on their own maybe 10% of the time. The uncertainty makes it the most exciting part of my day.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dip Viscous posted:

Did you change what altitude you were living at?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Scarodactyl posted:

Did you change what altitude you were living at?

That and temp make a big difference. When I moved away from sea level they got a lot easier to open. I still flinch every time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I didn't move far, but I do have a refrigerator that works a lot better now. That's probably it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
In a discussion about "The Song that Doesn't End" this morning, I learned that Shari Lewis and Sharon, Lois, and Bram have nothing to do with each other. I assume that because they were both kids' entertainers, and because "Shari Lewis" sounds kind of like "Sharon, Lois", I just stuck them together in my head and came up with "Shari, Lois, and Bram".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

In a discussion about "The Song that Doesn't End" this morning, I learned that Shari Lewis and Sharon, Lois, and Bram have nothing to do with each other. I assume that because they were both kids' entertainers, and because "Shari Lewis" sounds kind of like "Sharon, Lois", I just stuck them together in my head and came up with "Shari, Lois, and Bram".

aw hell I didn't want that song in my head

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Maha posted:

As a kid, I only ever heard this said when taking food off someone else's plate, so until I thought about it pretty recently I assumed it meant something like "if you do not want it, I will not let it go to waste."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shifty Nipples posted:

aw hell I didn't want that song in my head

If you would like something to replace it I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inceltown posted:

If you would like something to replace it I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves.

motherfu-

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inceltown posted:

I legit don't know this one. I guess I'm immune.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

rydiafan posted:

I legit don't know this one. I guess I'm immune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1heGiIehU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The girl who played Marmalade Atkins grew up to become the woman who played Hugh Grant's sister in 4 Weddings and a Funeral.

Who then went on to die tragically young from an asthma attack.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

The girl who played Marmalade Atkins grew up to become the woman who played Hugh Grant's sister in 4 Weddings and a Funeral.

Who then went on to die tragically young from an asthma attack.

She was also in Worzel Gummidge! It was super loving weird!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77JNauFofI

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Americans bring in the Christmas tree way before Christmas. I don't know why I haven't figured this out before, I'm sure it's been evident in loads of movies and TV serieses.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Americans bring in the Christmas tree way before Christmas. I don't know why I haven't figured this out before, I'm sure it's been evident in loads of movies and TV serieses.

Driving to my parents’ on turkey day there was almost no traffic (2PM) and about 50% of what was on the road had a tree strapped to the roof.

loving weirdos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Driving to my parents’ on turkey day there was almost no traffic (2PM) and about 50% of what was on the road had a tree strapped to the roof.

loving weirdos.

I'm just thinking: what'll be left on the actual day? A pile of needles on the carpet and a spoopy skeleton tree with baubles?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know about trees but when I walk down the street a ton of people have their Christmas lights out, been that way since mid-November

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know about trees but when I walk down the street a ton of people have their Christmas lights out, been that way since mid-November

Well sure, but lamps last a lot longer than cut trees :shrug:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
When I was a kid we always did it the day after Thanksgiving. As long as you keep the tree watered it lasts at least until Jan 6 which is when we usually took it down.

No idea for the folks who did it in early November, especially if they're using real trees instead of artificial.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also depends if you're cutting it the day you get it or if it's been sitting in the lot for a week after it was in a truck for another week.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We have a $15 fake tree because I'm against having a tree in the first place I definitely don't want a real one

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mister Mind posted:

They got tired of people in hot cars thinking they got shot in the brain. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-biscuit-bullet/

My mom had one blow up in her car, and it was winter in upstate NY. :iiam:

(True to Mom form, she sent a letter complaining about it to Pillsbury, and a fuckton of coupons arrived in the mail. Cinnamon rolls for daaaaays.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My favorite food packaging explosion is when I used to go on longer shopping trips, I have to drive over a higher mountain pass. Sometimes I'll hear small explosions on the way back home, turns out a couple thousand foot change in elevation can be enough to pop open chip bags and such. Maybe I should start harassing Lay's for coupons next time.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Inceltown posted:

I don't have nearly as much experience hearing that song, it doesn't really get stuck in my head apparently.

Yo listen up, here's a story...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't have nearly as much experience hearing that song, it doesn't really get stuck in my head apparently.

Yo listen up, here's a story...

yiTS BEEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Some