Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's happening!

https://mobile.twitter.com/lachlan/status/1331223614423752706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

can’t do write-ins on a runoff but i want to see them try anyway

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

It's a funny threat but even if he follows through, will there even be a way to tell how "effective" it was?

mediaphage posted:

can’t do write-ins on a runoff but i want to see them try anyway

:haibrower:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

they might be bitching and whining, but conservatives always always always fall back in line

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yeah Gerund pointed it out in uspol but I was thinking along the same lines, this might just be kayfabe for turnout. Get all these die hards in front of a ballot where theres a D and an R .

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Slaan posted:

If Ossof and Warnock win in 80% sure it'll be from Qanon crazies and other Trunpists not voting because "IT'S ALL RIGGED BY THE DEEP STATE PEDOPHILE DEMONRATS ANYWAYS" while people living in reality vote for the Ds

In a state that was just decided by 0.3%, even a small drop in Republican turnout is a good. I have no quantitative number for how many people will be dissuaded from voting because they believe these conspiracy theories, but it's a non-zero number for sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock/status/1331326729739243527?s=20

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah Gerund pointed it out in uspol but I was thinking along the same lines, this might just be kayfabe for turnout. Get all these die hards in front of a ballot where theres a D and an R .

Cross out Perdue's name and scrawl Trump next to it. Easy peasy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If QAnon decides that TRUMP can win BOTH senate runoff elections via write-ins and become the Senate Majority Leader to MAGA, then God bless them.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I applied for an absentee ballot, but I'm afraid I screwed up by selecting the democrat one. It says it's been sent but I've seen hide nor hair of it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So from an outside state perspective, what are the odds that democrats can flip these seats in their favor for senate control, realistically speaking? I know the state turned blue this month for the first time in decades, but senate elections tend to be different beasts altogether, trends tend to have them sticking with the tried-and-true parties that have led for years.

I'm not sure how they compare to Texas; the closest we got was during '18 midterms, but presidential election years always seem to be outright burials for us no matter how much money we pour into campaigns. I'm tentatively optimistic but don't want to set my hopes too high since this will be a post-presidency election.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If guess 70% chance that Perdue keeps his seat and toss up between Loeffler and Warnock. So most likely outcome is still Republican senate

nah
Mar 16, 2009

There’s a 50% chance of anything happening :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got my Absentee ballot today.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I got the Absentee ballot request form a couple days ago, I don't know how quickly you get the actual ballot. Nervous to vote, though. Just want this over with already.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/rorycooper/status/1332716262670131201?s=21

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like that's very much "counting your chickens before they hatch", it isn't a thing until election day and if it happens. Like looking at left wing twitter earlier in the year I imagine Republicans were thinking the same of Biden w.r.t to progressives.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s a looooong way until January, I’d expect republicans to fall in line over the next couple weeks

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

nachos posted:

It’s a looooong way until January, I’d expect republicans to fall in line over the next couple weeks

Most will, but even 1% of Republicans staying home because of it would be significant.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They won't stay home.

Politics isn't about debate club rational persuasion in drawing rooms or whatever liberals think. It's about advertising, marketing, getting people engaged. This voter fraud stuff keeps people hyped, excited, and angry, they're not going to go "ah ah but logically if I believe the elections are fraudulent there is no point in my voting, therefore I am compelled by the ineluctable mechanics of Pure Reason to stay home today" they will vote to own the libs and if they lose anyway they'll say it was fraud all along, and if they win they'll say Democrats tried to steal it but Republicans voted so hard they broke all the fraud algorithms.

That's what they're saying with Trump's election now, that the fraud was only exposed because massive Republican turnout forced the Democrats to manufacture so many ballots it was obvious.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

whydirt posted:

Most will, but even 1% of Republicans staying home because of it would be significant.

Possibly but a different 1% might turn out instead, we don't know and I think looking at twitter which we know isn't a good reflection of real life or any real voters is maybe not wise.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

They won't stay home.

Politics isn't about debate club rational persuasion in drawing rooms or whatever liberals think. It's about advertising, marketing, getting people engaged. This voter fraud stuff keeps people hyped, excited, and angry, they're not going to go "ah ah but logically if I believe the elections are fraudulent there is no point in my voting, therefore I am compelled by the ineluctable mechanics of Pure Reason to stay home today" they will vote to own the libs and if they lose anyway they'll say it was fraud all along, and if they win they'll say Democrats tried to steal it but Republicans voted so hard they broke all the fraud algorithms.

That's what they're saying with Trump's election now, that the fraud was only exposed because massive Republican turnout forced the Democrats to manufacture so many ballots it was obvious.

It's weird. When a system feels (or is) rigged, some people react in a "why should I bother?" way while others double down and try to "unrig" the system. Has there been any data on whether there's a greater propensity to react one way or the other based on your political beliefs? Are conservatives more likely to go "gently caress you, I'll find a way to win!" as opposed to "screw it!" versus liberals? Or is there a difference based on class lines?

My "gut," which has a mixed record when it comes to being right, is that conservatives tend to be too entitled to take a defeat lying down and usually react with a vengeance, so I'm not holding high hopes of a depressed turnout for them in the runoffs. It'll be up to the Dems and progressives to bring numbers to the ballot box.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

They won't stay home.

I think a lot of them will, maybe not enough to swing it for Blue Senate seats, but a lot of them are true believers who really believe that there's no point of the Dems can fraud Georgia blue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's weird. When a system feels (or is) rigged, some people react in a "why should I bother?" way while others double down and try to "unrig" the system. Has there been any data on whether there's a greater propensity to react one way or the other based on your political beliefs? Are conservatives more likely to go "gently caress you, I'll find a way to win!" as opposed to "screw it!" versus liberals? Or is there a difference based on class lines?

My "gut," which has a mixed record when it comes to being right, is that conservatives tend to be too entitled to take a defeat lying down and usually react with a vengeance, so I'm not holding high hopes of a depressed turnout for them in the runoffs. It'll be up to the Dems and progressives to bring numbers to the ballot box.

My gutfeel is that the difference comes down to whether you think someone in charge is fighting for you.

No one at the top is fighting for poor people, so when they believe it's rigged they drop out and stop participating.

Trump is making a big show of fighting for his people, he's a con man of course, but he acts like he's fighting for them so I think they'll double down and vote to fight the 'rigged' system along with him. The only way I see them not turning out is if Trump actually turns on the Republicans and tells his people not to vote in order to punish the party for betraying him, so far he's been saying Loeffler and Purdue are wonderful people and to come vote for them.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/LLinWood/status/1333203825960898561
Trump's rogue lawyers continue to be the Dems' best asset here.

I too doubt the chuds will truly be deterred by this, but it certainly doesn't help him.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VitalSigns posted:

They won't stay home.

We should start a “make ‘don’t vote’ memes aimed at GA Republicans” thread, seems like a good way for poligoons to blow off steam and use their particular skills

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I got my absentee ballot yesterday and first thing I noticed was the dominion voting copyright at the very top so hopefully that deters some chuds

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like that's very much "counting your chickens before they hatch", it isn't a thing until election day and if it happens. Like looking at left wing twitter earlier in the year I imagine Republicans were thinking the same of Biden w.r.t to progressives.

We were thinking this poo poo about trump the day before election day. I'll put heavy odds on a R senate just because turnout always drops among dems for runoffs and with Trump out the "soft" Rs in the suburbs are going to come home.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eric Cantonese posted:

The core of the conservative belief system is that literally any obstacle, disadvantage can be overcome with enough willpower and hard work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

We were thinking this poo poo about trump the day before election day. I'll put heavy odds on a R senate just because turnout always drops among dems for runoffs and with Trump out the "soft" Rs in the suburbs are going to come home.

On the flipside we shouldn't just be doom and gloom. 2018 was a big wave year, there's reasons to think GA is very complicated in terms of turnout.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

We should start a “make ‘don’t vote’ memes aimed at GA Republicans” thread, seems like a good way for poligoons to blow off steam and use their particular skills

ITT: voter suppression both condemned as profoundly anti-democratic and casually embraced for its recreational potential.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

ITT: voter suppression both condemned as profoundly anti-democratic and casually embraced for its recreational potential.

Hey man if you want to take the Senate you’ve got to fight dirty

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The core of the conservative belief system is that literally any obstacle, disadvantage can be overcome with enough willpower and hard work.

True, but from my experience, it seems to depend on who is being asked to work hard.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

It's fascinating how dems can get people to support voter suppression by running behind candidates who run pre-compromised positions.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 30, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The paradox of intolerance. Can't be tolerant of others if you tolerate intolerants. So you kick them out.

The paradox of democracy. Can't have a functioning reliable democracy if you let fascists et al destroy the system, so you have to fight back any way you can

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Nah, telling people that X is a bad candidate and you should not vote for them is not the same thing as voter suppression. If the thread were brainstorming ways to make voting harder in low education white precincts, that would be voter suppression in favor of Democrats.

"Don't vote for Purdue because he doesn't love Trump enough!" is the same kind of political communication as "Don't vote for Purdue because he's corrupt and wants to annihilate whatever healthcare you have left".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Ruzihm posted:

It's fascinating how dems can get people to support voter suppression by running behind candidates who run pre-compromised positions.

whatever dudes.

Meming at people who are already considering not voting as a misguided show of solidarity with trump=/=the grotesque voter suppression practices and policies already employed in this country, and especially in Georgia.

Suggesting to somebody who doesn’t want to vote “because Kemp stole the election” from the üntermensch-in-chief that they might be right does not even exist in the same universe as poo poo like voter intimidation, polling fraud, active disenfranchisement, the shutting down of voting sites, etc.

And considering Georgia’s long history of racist voter suppression and Kemp’s very recent history of probably stealing the 2018 election, this frankly comes off as kinda “they go low, we go high”.

Do you think that NoJoes/ProJoes shaming other people about their voting choices/decision to vote at all rises to the level of voter suppression too? Because if you boil it down you had a lot of people basically trying to encourage each other to *not vote* or *not vote the wrong way*

I’m not trying to relitigate anything about the election, I’m asking at what point can we allow ourselves to play hardball? Is everybody entitled to the freedom of not being suggested to or even potentially deceived? Are they free from being advertised to on basis of their beliefs? What if they’re fascists, whose political success means a multitude of poxes and suffering for billions of people? At what point does their threat, and the timeliness of it, override your sense of what’s fair and acceptable practice?

Or to put it another way: should nazis not be punched because “it’s assault and assault is bad”?

And if, like I mentioned earlier, we’re dealing with a state like Georgia that has a rich tradition of disenfranchising its racial and political underclass/undesirables, at what point does getting your hands even the slightest bit dirty become less of a cheat and more of a means of balancing the playing field?

Maybe it’s because I belong to several demographics that these people actively want to see exterminated, abused, and suffering, but my decorum standards and sense of fair play get a lot more flexible than usual when it comes to fighting fascism.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

fighting fascism by rallying for mass support of someone who is against defunding the police = going "low" ?

Every dollar sent to ossoff's campaign would be less wasted going to bail funds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

fighting fascism by rallying for mass support of someone who is against defunding the police = going "low" ?

Every dollar sent to ossoff's campaign would be less wasted going to bail funds.

That’s fine and dandy, I still don’t want Loeffler or Perdue to win, and I don’t have qualms about CHUD excrement not voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrats are so addicted to losing and so contemptuous of the idea of even talking to a voter, that they think even engaging voters with reasons not to vote for the other guy is inherently suspicious and equivalent to poll taxes and Jim Crow.

lmbo this country is so hosed