Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Georgia - home of Jimmy Carter, R.E.M., and Ted Turner. In decades past, it's been assumed that one can write this state off as reliably Republican. In a pure 2020 move, however, Joe Biden won the state by a razor-thin margin (as of this writing) and neither of its U.S. Senate seats were decided. With the Senate looking to have 50 Republicans at minimum, the stakes couldn't be much higher. The two races feature incumbent Republicans David "purposefully mispronounced Kamala Harris' name" Perdue and Kelly "insider trader" Loeffler defending their seats against Democrats Jon "lost the most expensive house race ever" Ossoff and Rev. Dr. Raphael Warnock, respectively. You may remember this moment from the debates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhWq-QqCoPI

It's impossible to say what can and will happen - while none of the candidates reached 50% of the vote, Perdue and Warnock received pluralities. There is pretty much no chance that the vote is split in the run-off, the number of likely voters could either rise or fall from the General Election, and the amount of money poured into advertising could be in the billions. On January 5th, Georgians will go to the polls again to determine if legislation will actually be passed or if Mitch McConnell will just adjourn the Senate for the next two years.

HELPFUL LINKS

Fair Fight, Stacy Abrams' organization

Jon Ossoff's website

Raphael Warnock's website

All-in-One Donation Station

Atlanta Solidarity Fund

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm urging all my friends to get ready. I'm in Gwinnett county, so I'm gearing up.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I'm urging all my friends to get ready. I'm in Gwinnett county, so I'm gearing up.

I'm in Clayton county. I'm just waiting for the crazy to hit this state. Hell there were already people out today trying to get people registered to vote for this election.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Will this race have the same rules for eligibility for mail in ballots and early vote as the presidential race? Or is it going back to the old rules?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Do any of the Georgia goons know of some good progressive, grassroots organizations that will be helping with these races?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The most important thing to stress here is that success means loving with Mitch McConnell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't live in Georgia, but tell me who to send money to and I will.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Please tell this thread the best people to donate money to because my wallet is ready.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Do any of the Georgia goons know of some good progressive, grassroots organizations that will be helping with these races?

I think these:

https://fairfight.com/

https://electjon.com/

https://warnockforgeorgia.com/

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I live in Georgia, but I also live in an area that's going to heavily go for the D candidates. I'm doing my part on social media to get the word out about the actual special election. I think that's the real challenge here is getting people aware that the race isn't over. This isn't just a special election for a senator. It's a special election for 2 senators. It's also a special election for 2 senators that will more or less hold control over whether Biden can enact his plans or not. It's so, so incredibly important.

That being said, I was listening to a streamer the other day, Destiny, some of you may know and he had a good point. He was talking in general about how small pockets of internet people might be able to make a difference in smaller areas in local elections. It eventually evolved into possibly picking a small county somewhere in Georgia and trying to focus on it's constituents and trying to impact it in the special election. I don't know if this is possible, but it was interesting.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 8, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If there are good, vetted links to who to donate to in the OP, there might be banner ads for this topic in this site's future.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is important, and I'm happy to use part of my filthy corporate bonus money this year to put $250 to each of these! :tipshat:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Hi all, this thread was linked to the Atlanta thread.

As a local Atlantan, a good use of funds right now in Atlanta and Georgia politics is supporting actual activists out in the streets demanding change, and encouraging people to vote, among other more direct action. You can do that by donating to the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, which is currently helping activists who had their doors kicked in by the feds this past week: https://atlsolidarity.org/

There’s gonna be plenty of money to run ads 24/7 and make Georgians despise the runoff, but there is a real need for legal defense for people who were key in taking to the streets over the summer, which helped drive political engagement and turned Georgia blue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I look forward to two more months of ads! This is definitely what I moved to Georgia for, political ads.

I'm thinking it'll end up being a Warnock win and Ossoff loss, both very close. If you donate to anyone though, Stacey Abrams is probably the best for your money. Her organization was a huge player in getting the state to flip. https://fairfight.com/

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Slaan posted:

I'm thinking it'll end up being a Warnock win and Ossoff loss, both very close. If you donate to anyone though, Stacey Abrams is probably the best for your money. Her organization was a huge player in getting the state to flip. https://fairfight.com/

Warnock definitely seems like a stronger candidate than Ossoff, but it seems insane to me that any significant portion of his voters would vote for Perdue or leave the other slot blank.

Loeffler seems like real garbage, but is Perdue really so much more palatable that he would inspire that level of ticket-splitting?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I now have a recurring :10bux: :10bux: going to both ATLSolidarity and FairFight.

And a part of me is seriously considering signing up with FairFight to volunteer for line warming or something even though I live in Denver and would need to bring my family with me. It's just 20 hours of driving and staying in a hotel right?

Riven fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2020

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
They have an ActBlue page up now with an equal split between FairFight and the two campaigns.

https://www.gasenate.com

Well that now has a certificate error so here's where it redirects you to:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/georgiasenate

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember Ossoff pretty well from the house election few years ago, but know nothing about Warnock. How much of a progressive is he?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember Ossoff pretty well from the house election few years ago, but know nothing about Warnock. How much of a progressive is he?

He ain't Loeefeflleer. I'm pretty sure Warnock was a pastor at MLK's church, but that doesn't have anything to do with policies. Healthcare is basically expanding Obamacare, I don't see much about public option or MFA. Education is pretty vague about easing student debt, and cost of education. I wouldn't expect him to be super progressive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1325945727328137216

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I've tried looking at local volunteer stuff in Gwinnett, but all I could find was handing out snacks last Tuesday and nothing about the run offs. Should I volunteer for Warnock or Ossoff directly instead?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK fine this was my first candidate donation since 2008.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Applied for my absentee ballot for the 5th.

Sep 26, 2020

Just donated to the fund between FF, Warnock, and Ossoff. Much love from Philadelphia <3

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

he's not really a progressive, but he's a solid center-left dem with the same generic platform. the most notable thing about him now is that he's senior pastor at Ebenezer Baptist, which was MLK's Jr's old job (and MLK Sr's too). so he's about as progressive as you would expect from an accomplished man of God in the black southern baptist tradition (which is pretty progressive as mainstream churches go tbh). so don't expect defund the police but he supports bail reform, abolishing private prisons, and restoration of felon voting rights. likewise he's not MFA but he has campaigned in the past for medicaid expansion

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 10, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Fellow Gwinnett Goon reporting in as well.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
$200 to New Georgia Project
$200 to Coalition For The Peoples' Agenda
$200 to Fight Fair
$200 to Ossof
$200 to Warnock

Good luck from Chicago.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
$100 to Fair Fight and $15 to each of the candidates.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Just set up a $35 monthly donation to Fair Fight, and hoping to start doing some phone banking next week (I'm poor, and also juggle a bunch of jobs). But I'm in it to win it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1326020210218967040

I hope him being against some really good things loses him the election for being inadequate opposition :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ruzihm posted:

I hope him being against some really good things loses him the election for being inadequate opposition :)

Yes yes, let's give McConnell the Senate, that'll be all worth it. :thunk:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ruzihm posted:

lol what a garbage candidate

but so is your take tbh

not that it really matters because manchin (lol i typed mnuchin at first) is a monster douche

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

"McConnell is loving us" is probably a better narrative than "we are loving ourselves" for the next 2 years of nothing getting done.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

no it wont, but that seems to be the dem plan running a loser then burning a bunch of money to do it

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Then is why you list before Ossof...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

"McConnell is loving us" is probably a better narrative than "we are loving ourselves" for the next 2 years of nothing getting done.

No, its not. Because that motivates GOP more than it does Dem voters.

Ruzihm posted:

no it wont, but that seems to be the dem plan running a loser then burning a bunch of money to do it

Personally: Take this poo poo to the USPOL thread, rather than making GBS threads up the Georgia Runoff thread where we're trying to motivate people to vote.

Really loving tired of the NoJoe crowd posts. Ossoff sucks. Purdue sucks worse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ruzihm posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Really loving tired of the NoJoe crowd posts. Ossoff sucks. Purdue sucks worse.

Please don't post like either of these posts ITT going forward. That goes for everyone. It's not the place to talk about whether or not the Dems are actually interested in taking the Senate, and it's certainly not the place to engage in petty clique squabbles. Thanks!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

$25 to fairfight!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

That Jon Ossoff is apparently more open to allowing republicans to stem the passage of progressive legislation through the senate than the abolition of the white supremacist organization known as ICE is probably the most vile thing I've heard a democrat suggest this week.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ruzihm posted:

That Jon Ossoff is apparently more open to allowing republicans to stem the passage of progressive legislation through the senate than the abolition of the white supremacist organization known as ICE is probably the most vile thing I've heard a democrat suggest this week.

That's happening anyways, and please don't feed in it:

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1326233713211039745?s=20

Allowing McConnell to maintain control of the senate is worse than an Ossoff win. Because its exactly what McConnell wants and needs to win more GOP votes and do the most damage.