Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Taear posted:

It was a nice star trek sorta episode for once where the issue wasn't solved with violence. I think if we'd not had every single episode totally 100% focusing on Burnham before this I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.
I'd really like to know what Ni'var thought the Fed was doing before the burn that made them close to leaving, which the president mentions.

Did they actually say why it was renamed Ni'var? I get that the Romulans moved there, but why that name? If they did, I missed it.

Being forced to do SB-19 and then it seeming like it destroyed civilization was the last straw but I think Vulcan was being mostly ignored by the Federation by that point due to there being so many different things going on and they had stayed in for a 1000 years already so who would think they would leave so they're not a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MichiganCubbie posted:

So, does this theory mean that there's one timeline where Michael is eaten by shelaks on Vulcan the original timeline,) one where Spock is eaten (the Yesteryear timeline) and one where the mom interferes with the timeline (the Discovery timeline?)

Also the one where Sybok sacrifices his career as Vulcan's greatest figure since Surak and the life/existence of his brother Spocko to save the Federation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lum_ posted:

They do go into that for about a minute in the episode - basically the Federation was too big, vastly overextended, and using way too much dilithium, which is what prompted the SB-19 project in the first place.

They didn't in the show. It's a fan callout; someone wrote fanfic about Vulcan in the late 60s (I'm not joking), where "ni var" meant two forms; someone remembered that and thought it'd be a good name for Vulcanoromulus.

(The fact that both alien species named their planet/race after Earth Roman mythological figures is left unmentioned.)

I caught the bit about the dilithium having issues pre-burn but I didn't think they'd said specifically what was up, thanks. You'd think that it being big would mean it'd have shitloads of dilithium available anyway. Surely the fed ruling all of the alpha/beta quadrant is way more efficient resources wise than six or so separate conquering empires is?

And oh, I guess that's cool. I wish they'd given us a reason in the show though. Ni'var feels mega Romulan to me, it's like the romulans turned up and renamed the planet themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I caught the bit about the dilithium having issues pre-burn but I didn't think they'd said specifically what was up, thanks. You'd think that it being big would mean it'd have shitloads of dilithium available anyway. Surely the fed ruling all of the alpha/beta quadrant is way more efficient resources wise than six or so separate conquering empires is?

There's only so much dilithium in the galaxy and a thousand years of advanced spaceflight burning through it all. It's gonna run out eventually one way or another, the Burn just made it so much worse.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If all the oil in tankers, refineries and gasoline in peoples cars spontaneously combusted suddenly went inert one day... that'd be something.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hubbardologist posted:

I think either Culber should be XO, or Admiral Vance should tell Saru "yeah so I'm giving you this list of my people you can pick from: you yourself have very little experience in command of this ship, you picked an ensign with zero experience, and you also need someone from this century who can give you some on the fly feedback."

Culber would make more practical sense between those two situations, since he's a pre-existing character, he's got boatloads of experience, he has now shown competency in understanding the strengths, weaknesses and general intricacies of the crew needed in order to manage them. There would be minimal friction between him and Saru, it would finally be an answer to the TNG trope of "what even does a counselor do on this ship," and there'd be fodder for some light comic relief of Stamets grating at Hugh telling him how to do his job.

Buuuuuut we're dealing with the Disco writers so I'm not holding out hope.

I expect we're going to get a future Starfleet officer as full time XO and your argument for Culber is good. Tilly has really shown insight and empathy, and has been a rock for Saru so this also makes sense. For Saru.

Really though in this entire situation they are all over their heads and its time for a lateral transfer to the ship from the 31st Century.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Alchenar posted:

Wait, Georgiou didn't appear this episode. Or the human trill teenager (haven't learned her name).

Characters just disappearing from the ship because the story doesn't require them is so jarring.

That always happened in Star Trek though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bilirubin posted:

That always happened in Star Trek though

On a 90's show with a 90's budget, sure. But Disco is a stupidly-expensive show that's meant to be CBS' big prestige Star Trek series alongside Picard. A look of budget problems here are a big red flag.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Do big expensive prestige shows always have all their characters in every episode all the time?

If the Sopranos had an episode without, I dunno, Christopher, would the fans be logging on to the web asking "where's Christopher?"

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
From my understanding, the budget for the show has increased above the initial 8m and is now closer to 10-12m.

I think most of it has gone to cgi.

Like they went to ICELAND to film parts of the first two episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do big expensive prestige shows always have all their characters in every episode all the time?

If the Sopranos had an episode without, I dunno, Christopher, would the fans be logging on to the web asking "where's Christopher?"

More that their big trip to Vulcan, which had some big location shoots the past few seasons, was a room on Discovery with a small handful of extras in makeup and a few props in this episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mythicknight posted:

I dont think I'll ever get over how much of the prothean vision Admonition that Picard leads up to is cribbed from Shutterstock.

I should replay ME1 at some point, I remember loving just sitting there listening to the lore entries in the menu

If you've got the PC version, there's some really get mods that got published or updated on N7 Day this year that really overhaul the game from a graphical/quality of life standpoint, including one that back-ports ME3's default FemShep head into Mass Effect 1 (and 2, but that needs a separate mod by the same author). It'll probably be about the best ME1 experience you can get unless Legendary Edition blows everything out of the water when it comes out.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

spawk

SPAWK

oh god, they brought back the space elves

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

xerxus posted:

From my understanding, the budget for the show has increased above the initial 8m and is now closer to 10-12m.

I think most of it has gone to cgi.

Like they went to ICELAND to film parts of the first two episodes.

Should have gone to the new Ni’var capital located in the polar region.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I like the strong emotions but I declare this episode MAWKISH

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lum_ posted:

They do go into that for about a minute in the episode - basically the Federation was too big, vastly overextended, and using way too much dilithium, which is what prompted the SB-19 project in the first place.

They didn't in the show. It's a fan callout; someone wrote fanfic about Vulcan in the late 60s (I'm not joking), where "ni var" meant two forms; someone remembered that and thought it'd be a good name for Vulcanoromulus.

(The fact that both alien species named their planet/race after Earth Roman mythological figures is left unmentioned.)
Also: this

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Taear posted:

The Vulcan president said something like "the few were being forgotten due to the many". Then Saru said "Didn't your people use the phrase "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?"" The Vulcan president responded with "Reunification forced us to let go of outdated maxims and proverbs."

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Vulcan president said something like "the few were being forgotten due to the many". Then Saru said "Didn't your people use the phrase "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?"" The Vulcan president responded with "Reunification forced us to let go of outdated maxims and proverbs."

Damar finally made it to Vulcan CTV

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol is this real

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Paraphrased but accurate

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Well, technically the troubled federation worlds became "the many" from the few that they were. Undealt problems snowballed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Star Trek has plenty of character focussed episodes where they only have a small portion of the cast show up - there's any number of Bashir-O'Brian DS9 episodes where they're in a bottle and maybe only Sisko is the other character who's around for a minute. But those are very specific recognisable and deliberate episodes. Almost any regular episode set 'on the ship' would at least have 'the ready room' scene where the crew talk through the dilemma of the week and offer opinions and options. That discussion is also the space where you get to develop those characters by revealing their inner motivations and prejudices.

This is a classic 'how far should we push things given our conflicting objectives' dilemma that should have had a full discussion by the crew, but instead it's all Burnham again recklessly ignoring orders and making calls by herself.

e: there's also a massive missed point in this episode in that nobody seems to realise that these are Romulans and Vulcans, they would have been alive for the Burn. The people in that room were almost certainly there for events and lived through them and possibly were personally working on the special projects in question.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 29, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Alchenar posted:

Star Trek has plenty of character focussed episodes where they only have a small portion of the cast show up - there's any number of Bashir-O'Brian DS9 episodes where they're in a bottle and maybe only Sisko is the other character who's around for a minute. But those are very specific recognisable and deliberate episodes. Almost any regular episode set 'on the ship' would at least have 'the ready room' scene where the crew talk through the dilemma of the week and offer opinions and options. That discussion is also the space where you get to develop those characters by revealing their inner motivations and prejudices.

This is a classic 'how far should we push things given our conflicting objectives' dilemma that should have had a full discussion by the crew, but instead it's all Burnham again recklessly ignoring orders and making calls by herself.

e: there's also a massive missed point in this episode in that nobody seems to realise that these are Romulans and Vulcans, they would have been alive for the Burn. The people in that room were almost certainly there for events and lived through them and possibly were personally working on the special projects in question.

I don’t think this was brought up in the episode and I think your knowledge of Vulcan and Romulan lifespans exceeds that of the writers in question.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Verviticus posted:

lol is this real

Hard Vulcans making Hard Choices

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

oh dammit, i just saw someone point out that the recording of spock is no problem because picard became an android and they could just pull it out of his head

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just like in Picard, it’s really weirding me out to see Romulans and Vulcans with more varied facial features than TNG/DS9/etc.

By which I guess I subconsciously mean “long faced, black haired white people in heavy makeup” which is all I was used to seeing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I don’t think this was brought up in the episode and I think your knowledge of Vulcan and Romulan lifespans exceeds that of the writers in question.

No the writers knew this because half the episode was about the stuff Spock achieved over a hundred years after Michael left. 'Vulcan lifespans are in centuries' is there in the episode.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
But if the Vulcans on the council said "look, your theories on the Burn are charming but as someone who was actually there at the time, here's what happened:" Michael Burnham wouldn't be able to save the day for the next 6 episodes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
*Spaceboards into the stuffy conference room full of adults*

*Adjusts space glasses*

Did you squares ever think about investigating the Burn? Or did I just spaceblow your mind?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Martytoof posted:

Just like in Picard, it’s really weirding me out to see Romulans and Vulcans with more varied facial features than TNG/DS9/etc.

By which I guess I subconsciously mean “long faced, black haired white people in heavy makeup” which is all I was used to seeing.

Voyager had Tuvok at least, so it hasn't been totally universal to have everyone be cut-and-paste Spock clones. And I definitely wouldn't call Jolene Blalock's face long.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've always thought Tuvok's Vulcan cadence was one of the best, more Vulcans should talk like him

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Harlan Ellison was a hilariously irascible science fiction author of immense talent and short stature. He wrote the original script for City on the Edge of Forever, but he was also a lofty purist who thought his work was beyond reproach and should be taken as-is with no alterations. He was well known for being Forever Mad about what he considered shoddy adaptions of his work—like holding life long grudges over some of the pettiest poo poo, and would do stuff like mail dead gophers to Hollywood executives he thought had slighted him in various ways.

He was a gigantic loving rear end in a top hat, and I say that as someone who actually likes the guy.

The only reason I know the guy's name was because one time he got in a fight with one of the trolls of penny-arcade and there was this brief and absurd flame war between the two fangroups over some extremely petty poo poo. I don't think even mentioned him in a comic or anything, it was entirely a drama fabricated in like blog posts or something sad.

Feeling good about avoiding penny arcade and harlan ellison these days.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

enki42 posted:

Voyager had Tuvok at least, so it hasn't been totally universal to have everyone be cut-and-paste Spock clones. And I definitely wouldn't call Jolene Blalock's face long.

Hm yeah I think I meant in general but I can’t really put my finger on exactly what the difference is.

Also yeah, now that I think back on it, Tuvok is actually one of the first faces that pops into my head when someone says Vulcan so — shrug

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Tuvok is the only prominent Vulcan character who fully believes in the rules of being dispassionate and "logical", to the end.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

Verviticus posted:

lol is this real

Erulisse posted:

Well, technically the troubled federation worlds became "the many" from the few that they were. Undealt problems snowballed.

The pitfalls of exponential growth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Erulisse posted:

It's not like romulans were throwing dilithium into singularities on board their ships. But yes, this all is either retconned now or...

It doesn't need to be retconned. They're way in the future. They changed engine designs at some point. Easy.

Ramadu posted:

jesus christ "spock is who he was because of his sister" holy loving poo poo

This actually holds true if you've never made it through TOS. AFAIK Spock learned a lot of his human poo poo from Michael and then later on he bounces around the JJ Trek movie. Like, I know Spock and Kirk have some kind of connection because prime-spock was all horny for young-nu-Kirk but thats about it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe Romulans abandoned their singularity based warp drives after that race of aliens that lays their eggs in black holes or whatever almost started a war between the Romulans and the Federation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do we ever get a Vulcan-Klingon character? How much of Belana episodes would need to be changed to retcon her as half vulcan?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if SB 19 was that subspace catapult from Voyager.

I mean it wasn't, but maybe it could be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Until Discovery, I hadn't watched Star Trek since 2005 or something like that. Back then I watched TNG, DS9 and parts of Voyager. I had some spare time today so I watched the first two episodes of Enterprise and actually quite liked it. At least the characters and their interactions are much better than on Discovery. Does it stay somewhat good?