Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

they DID add the ability to make Phantom Army be clones of you, fwiw
It's what I'm doing right now yes. But trying to run perma (or close to perma) Phantom Army is a hell of a lot different to say running a Mastermind that has all pets up always and can actually use petcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of going into Pocket D on the RP server. You see, I'd forgotten that the 'F' gender marker stands for 'Futanari' in MMO circles.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Pocket D owns and I'm glad almost a decade later that the Superheroes do be remaining Horny.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bieeanshee posted:

I made the mistake of going into Pocket D on the RP server. You see, I'd forgotten that the 'F' gender marker stands for 'Futanari' in MMO circles.

Are you really doing the "women with a p-p-p-p-penis!!!!!!" thing in 20 fuckin' 20.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

Are you really doing the "women with a p-p-p-p-penis!!!!!!" thing in 20 fuckin' 20.
I think it's less that and more how ubiquitous dickgirl (and by extension, trans women) fetishisation is.

DangerDan posted:

Pocket D owns and I'm glad almost a decade later that the Superheroes do be remaining Horny.
Correct. Even after all these years some things just never change.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dinictus posted:

I think it's less that and more how ubiquitous dickgirl (and by extension, trans women) fetishisation is.

...Yeah probably. Sorry for being aggro and assuming the worst, Bieeanshee.

It's a bit of a sore spot cuz people still throw out casual "haha pocket d haha catgirls haha dickgirls lol people have the sex" jokes like it's the cleverest observation ever.

Of course I gave up on Pocket D like literally a decade ago not because the ERP or whatever else but because the people who hang out there were, and presumably still are, truly dreadful roleplayers...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

nobody's ever hanging around PD on excel. maybe I should make a dude over there and do tourism

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

It's a bit of a sore spot cuz people still throw out casual "haha pocket d haha catgirls haha dickgirls lol people have the sex" jokes like it's the cleverest observation ever.

Of course I gave up on Pocket D like literally a decade ago not because the ERP or whatever else but because the people who hang out there were, and presumably still are, truly dreadful roleplayers...

This is basically it. I have nothing at all against fetishes; as long at it's not pedo I don't care what you fap to. I'm not 100% fetish-free myself.

It's just that every single person in pocket D is a chick with the boob slider maxed doing the hip-waggling walk animation, with a bio telling you she smells like lilac and how you're enraptured by her ethereal beauty, and she's 14 years old but she's also an immortal vampire demon succubus catgirl. I just can't help imagining a 450lb guy with pores filled with Cheeto dust, who hasn't even noticed the pandemic because he hasn't left mommy's basement in ten years.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
To be fair, the only ground based movement options for female characters are the "look, I have hips" walk, and a dead sprint, nothing in between.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

If she's not Naruto running I'm not interested

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Oh god, no.

Dinictus posted:

This, yeah. I'm kind of sensitive to it, being trans myself.

John Murdoch posted:

It's cool. I didn't realise I was coming off that way, I'll try to explain myself better in future. :)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Abhorrence posted:

To be fair, the only ground based movement options for female characters are the "look, I have hips" walk, and a dead sprint, nothing in between.

Speed that animation up 10x, use it for Sprint.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's pathetic. There's better mediums for yanking your crank than city of heroes.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Gynovore posted:

Speed that animation up 10x, use it for Sprint.

I would pay money for this option

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's pathetic. There's better mediums for yanking your crank than city of heroes.

huge if true

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

This is basically it. I have nothing at all against fetishes; as long at it's not pedo I don't care what you fap to. I'm not 100% fetish-free myself.

It's just that every single person in pocket D is a chick with the boob slider maxed doing the hip-waggling walk animation, with a bio telling you she smells like lilac and how you're enraptured by her ethereal beauty, and she's 14 years old but she's also an immortal vampire demon succubus catgirl. I just can't help imagining a 450lb guy with pores filled with Cheeto dust, who hasn't even noticed the pandemic because he hasn't left mommy's basement in ten years.

It's not even that. I almost kind of respect the blatant fap fodder characters. I'm more talking about the eternally aloof "I'm here to roleplay, theoretically, but not actually with any of you unwashed rabble /e walllean :smug:" types. Or the types who act like dickheads and hide behind the excuse that they aren't dickheads IRL, they're just staying in-character. Or the people who just hang around for the sake of causing/reveling in/overreacting to drama. Basically instead of superhero stuff it's catty high school clique bullshit all the way down.

Of course the other problem is that, at least back in the day like 85% my RP focus was on Teen Titans-esque stuff so a seedy nightclub was highly incompatible with the majority of the characters I wanted to play. But good luck finding any RP outside of the D or private supergroup stuff :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And yes I'm still mad that Gemini Park isn't a thing anymore. <:mad:>

Hell, I'm mad Galaxy City in general isn't a thing anymore.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

I too have noticed how many Denizens of the D basically reuse the same tropes from years ago. Even the huge goofy-rear end thing where every 4 out of 5 people inform you that psychics reading their mind get Tupac on loop or something.

Edit: that would actually own, its always something like The Screams Of 1000 Damned Souls in the brain of this Captain America knockoff with the hero hair.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DangerDan posted:

I too have noticed how many Denizens of the D basically reuse the same tropes from years ago. Even the huge goofy-rear end thing where every 4 out of 5 people inform you that psychics reading their mind get Tupac on loop or something.

Edit: that would actually own, its always something like The Screams Of 1000 Damned Souls in the brain of this Captain America knockoff with the hero hair.

If I'm in Pocket D it's 100% Hadaway on loop, complete with the gif of Jim Carrey, Chris Kattan, and Will Ferrel, only they're wearing domino masks

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

If I'm in Pocket D it's 100% Hadaway on loop, complete with the gif of Jim Carrey, Chris Kattan, and Will Ferrel, only they're wearing domino masks

Now THERE’S a supergroup

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I've found plenty of cool people to RP with via Pocket D. Unfortunately, this comes from over a decade of knowing how to sort the cool players from the bad ones. Back when I was more active on the RP server (as Defiant - feel free to say hi!), I had a group of a dozen or so people who were all solid RPers, and I'd met them all in Pocket D. I like the atmosphere and energy of Pocket D RP. It's like Russian Roulette. The experience can be fun and exciting, or maybe it'll make you wish you could blow your brains out.

Much better good:bad ratio than Club Caprice, though!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DangerDan posted:

From the bits I’ve gleamed it’s like basically all demons and fae creatures and basically just everyone’s VtM campaign come to life, which I don’t really remember much of before

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Sure, there are certain tropes at play when you go into Pocket D, but the point is not to get hung up on how clichéd it is. With that mindset, you're going to miss out on a lot of nuance. I made my character as a vehicle to help explore others' concepts, unpacking their persona with questions posed from a non-threatening angle. Principles borrowed from improv comedy are of great help here - Listen, Yes-And, and working with the character.

If the state of roleplaying is unsatisfying, it's better to make it satisfying by exemplifying the aspects you enjoy. I enjoy getting into the headspace of a character whose curiosity and sense of wonder is overwhelming, and who is deeply concerned with the wellbeing of her peers. As an autistic person myself, playing an alien who has a tenuous grasp of human concepts was barely a lateral move. I can see how the club scene isn't for everyone, and indeed, there are aspects to it that I don't enjoy. But I eke out my fun by acting in a way that helps other players' characters shine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Huszsersvn posted:

As an autistic person myself, playing an alien who has a tenuous grasp of human concepts was barely a lateral move.

Coincidentally, I did something very much akin to this and was promptly discriminated against by the owners of a supergroup I was trying to join. :sigh: Weirdly enough a few months later the group imploded because it turned out they were shitheads, imagine that.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Abroham Lincoln posted:

From the bits I’ve gleamed it’s like basically all demons and fae creatures and basically just everyone’s VtM campaign come to life, which I don’t really remember much of before
Of all the crossovers it's the World of Darkness folks that are just the weirdest.

And I've seen both Old World of Darkness Abrahamic Demons and Chronicles of Darkness tech Demons as fallen servants of the God-Machine and even Mages already on Excelsior.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Much better good:bad ratio than Club Caprice, though!

Last time I hit CO, Club Caprice was pretty much all racist homophobic furries. Like, just a bunch of dudes in mock-SS uniforms with tails and wolf heads and cat ears spouting 4chan memes.

I wondered if maybe they were being ironic. But I know better than that.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

VtM people were huge back on Live because at least three different circles of role-playing folks I hung out with either had or were adjacent to Masquerade vampire folks.

The strangest bit to me was how nearly all of them were apparently translating the setting over 1:1 as best they could which involved their vampirism being super duper secret even though that's an extremely banal fact in the CoH world. Cabal of vampires in the city!? Okay, but which one?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DangerDan posted:

VtM people were huge back on Live because at least three different circles of role-playing folks I hung out with either had or were adjacent to Masquerade vampire folks.

The strangest bit to me was how nearly all of them were apparently translating the setting over 1:1 as best they could which involved their vampirism being super duper secret even though that's an extremely banal fact in the CoH world. Cabal of vampires in the city!? Okay, but which one?

Yeah that was a weird thing I saw on live too and remember not getting. It was especially weird when they seemed to get VtM completely wrong, like their Toreador antedeluvian half angel had a backstory and powers of a Tremere in addition to the wonky non VtM meshing things.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The World of Darkness is on-line RP herpes. You may not see it for a while, but then it'll erupt in a scorching case of high-school power fantasy.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DangerDan posted:

every layer of psychic intrusion just leads to the next track for all eyez on me in order from ambitions as a ridah to heaven ain't hard 2 find

interestingly i have teamed up with 2 different 2pac themed chars within the past month, of which both constantly are quoting 2pac lyrics

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been playing Vampire for a long time now and I'm super happy that only one person was a shithead (that got thrown out.)

It might be because we're not LARPers, we play it like we're modern gothic gremlins who have blood magic, not Alucard knockoffs.

What powers would even make sense in COH?

Claws/Savage for Gangrels, Psychic Dom's for Ventrue...
Everyone takes Regeneration I guess?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Inzombiac posted:

I've been playing Vampire for a long time now and I'm super happy that only one person was a shithead (that got thrown out.)

It might be because we're not LARPers, we play it like we're modern gothic gremlins who have blood magic, not Alucard knockoffs.

What powers would even make sense in COH?

Claws/Savage for Gangrels, Psychic Dom's for Ventrue...
Everyone takes Regeneration I guess?

Beast or maybe Thugs (as ghouls) mastermind?

What did all those VtMers think about the guy literally named Nosferatu literally making vampires? Actual antediluvian or just the standard haw haw what a poseur that vamps throw at literally everyone who isn't in mask town?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Glazius posted:

What did all those VtMers think about the guy literally named Nosferatu literally making vampires? Actual antediluvian or just the standard haw haw what a poseur that vamps throw at literally everyone who isn't in mask town?

ah yes, Thugs/Dark

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LordSaturn posted:

ah yes, Thugs/Dark

But if you can't customize the thugs to wear gimpsuits are they really your ghouls?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Glazius posted:

There's a Brujah calls himself something like "Motherfucking Dracula" that is so goddamn aggressive and mean, no one questions it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh ey ey, popping in to say yesterday was annual gently caress NCSOFT day, which I know now as a day of hope and also still a day to say gently caress NCSOFT, thank you

Edit: all I ever do in these threads is say gently caress NCSOFT but... well gently caress em??

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No no, entirely valid. gently caress NCsoft.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

you could, also, play the game if you like

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

Or do both!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008
Holy crap it's back? Time to recreate my dumb Spines/Regen scrapper and gross myself out throwing spiky bones at people!